Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
You can preorder that split from interpunk if that floats your boat http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=208447&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

7lip posted:

You can preorder that split from interpunk if that floats your boat http://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=208447&

I've noticed online retailers have been putting it up for preorder, but I prefer to give my money directly to Kevin and Seth from topshelf. Normally I'd go with deathwish, but kids will practically be crashing the servers when they put it up. I like to directly support topshelf every chance I get.

Speaking of deathwish, Jake Bannon just put up his split with Revelator on his site http://www.jacobbannon.com/possess

White out of 400, get it now before people try to get $60 for it on ebay.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Yeah I'd rather not get stuff from there as well, but I didn't use my noodle and think that you could get it from Topshelf (who I have had nothing but smooth sailing with ordering stuff from, I might add) as opposed to Deathwish (for the aforementioned server rush)

e- Random fact: just grabbed the 3 albums on here http://store.glassnailrecords.com/merch because I meant to before, and didn't for whatever reason, then listened to Arrows in Her and was reminded.
Got all three in the "limited" editions or whatever, which kind of made me sad because they are good albums.

7lip fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 7, 2013

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
Always order from as close to the artist/label as you can. Failing that, a diy distro supplied by the label is close enough. Support diy artists and labels directly or there will be none left.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

stay depressed posted:

Always order from as close to the artist/label as you can. Failing that, a diy distro supplied by the label is close enough. Support diy artists and labels directly or there will be none left.

I tried explaining this to my friends who still use iTunes and they blew me off :smith: I now buy digital only stuff exclusively off Bandcamp

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

stay depressed posted:

Amen. It's been years since I've let my money go towards music in a capacity that doesn't directly support a band or label directly. I barely have any room in my budget to spend on music, so I make it count. Of course, I always tend to blow completely past my budget every once in awhile.

The best is when you order from them enough and they just start to throw random poo poo in with your orders. I ordered a patch from Broken World Media (run by one of the dudes in The World is...) recently and ended up with every patch they make. But those guys have always been the coolest. I bought some "pay what you want" things from them at a show and they ended up just handing me a bunch of extra stuff.

I know a few people (myself included) have mentioned how awesome topshelf is, but it always bears repeating. I usually get packages from them before I even get the shipping notification.

alg posted:

I tried explaining this to my friends who still use iTunes and they blew me off :smith: I now buy digital only stuff exclusively off Bandcamp

I feel bad using spotify because I remember the guy from no sleep posting a breakdown about revenue and it's something like 99 listens = 1 purchase on itunes. I've never bought from itunes and never will, so I can't even imagine how little of that ever makes it to the label/artist.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

alg posted:

Landbridge 7" went up on Bandcamp yesterday, it's loving awesome.

http://landbridgerocknroll.bandcamp.com/

If you donate $5 or more they will send you a 7" in April, that's pretty swell.

Wish I could've driven across the state to see them this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNpC9EfiPE0

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Topshelf is usually my go-to. I have a whole pile of pins, stickers, posters and permanent discounts that they've thrown in just because.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I really am amazed at how it seems like the majority of releases that I really end up loving lately have been from Topshelf.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Hopefully preorders for the TA/PBTT split goes up tomorrow with the release of the digital version. Still not sure where I will order from, DW normally get some pretty great colourways, but I am more into PBTT than TA, so I might support Top Shelf instead.

Other than that, I caught Raein live on Friday night because a ticket became available and they were really good. I didn't really know their material but I will definitely be checking it out now. The venue was tiny, and the support band, Crash of Rhinos were pretty good too.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

nomapple posted:

Hopefully preorders for the TA/PBTT split goes up tomorrow with the release of the digital version. Still not sure where I will order from, DW normally get some pretty great colourways, but I am more into PBTT than TA, so I might support Top Shelf instead.

Other than that, I caught Raein live on Friday night because a ticket became available and they were really good. I didn't really know their material but I will definitely be checking it out now. The venue was tiny, and the support band, Crash of Rhinos were pretty good too.

I love Raein and Crash of Rhinos are pretty cool. Tigersuit was my jam back when I was first getting into that kind of music.

From the instagram posts I've seen it looks like DW has at least coke bottle clear and then there's also translucent gold and solid blue. Of course between DW and topshelf there could end up being any number of colorways.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

I love Raein and Crash of Rhinos are pretty cool. Tigersuit was my jam back when I was first getting into that kind of music.

From the instagram posts I've seen it looks like DW has at least coke bottle clear and then there's also translucent gold and solid blue. Of course between DW and topshelf there could end up being any number of colorways.

Tigersuit was great live, people jumping round all over the place. All of those colours sound good!

PS I recently discovered how brilliant Mineral's The Power of Failing is, any other fans here? drat that's a good album.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Both Mineral LPs are great. I didn't get into The Gloria Record nearly as much, but you should check them out if you like Mineral (vocalist from Mineral and I think the bass player too)

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Preorder for the PBTT/TA split is up on topshelf now

I ordered the bundle because I couldn't choose between the colors

edit: they're up on deathwish too. so it looks like there are 6 colorways so far. 3 for each label, at least I'm guessing because DW has posted pics of both coke bottle and clear, neither of which are on topshelf

Looks like the bundle is the only thing people were ordering on topshelf because it's already sold out. I'm really happy for both them and Pianos that they're getting as big as they are. They just put up the 6th pressing of The Lack Long After, god drat.

Kevar fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2013

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

I grabbed that bundle too, mostly because it said "rarest pressing blah blah" and I'm a sucker for that poo poo.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

7lip posted:

I grabbed that bundle too, mostly because it said "rarest pressing blah blah" and I'm a sucker for that poo poo.

Normally they include pressing info right when they put something up in their store. I'm guessing that being a co-release with Deathwish they ended up with much larger pressing than they usually have.

We've already seen what the gold and blue look like, but I'm guessing the half blue/half gold is going to look the coolest. I don't normally buy more than one copy of a record (I've made a couple exceptions), but what the hell, why not?

I'm pretty bummed this isn't shipping till the end of the month though. Not sure where I'll be living in February yet, so I had it shipped to my dad's house just in case. Not looking forward to a 2 hour drive to pick up vinyl, but I guess it's an excuse to visit.

Edit:

Looks like I didn't pay enough attention to the deathwish site. Looks like there are 4 color ways total
Electric blue (DW exclusive)
Gold (Topshelf Exclusive)
Half Electric Blue/Half Gold
Aqua Blue

There's probably a 5th Clear "Deathwish Friends and family" colorway too

Kevar fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 8, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

nomapple posted:

Tigersuit was great live, people jumping round all over the place. All of those colours sound good!

PS I recently discovered how brilliant Mineral's The Power of Failing is, any other fans here? drat that's a good album.

Mineral's self titled is also amazing. And if you like mineral, there's always christie front drive too. I'm heading down to vegas near the 18th anyways, so I'll be able to catch Raein as a nice side bonus, and then when I come back up to Reno I will get to see them again on the 20th. I am super stoked, especially because the house show in vegas is going to be a free night of amazing screamo.

Still, I have to ask, how great is tigersuit live really? Like people jumping all over aside, is it that much better live than recorded? I know it's guaranteed they are going to play tigersuit at every venue ever for all time, but I just don't really care that much for the song, at least not enough to be pumped to hear it live. It's just one of their blander and more generic songs in my opinion. I would much rather shout the silence or new day scenario if I have to pick something english. :v:

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 8, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kevar posted:

Preorder for the PBTT/TA split is up on topshelf now

I ordered the bundle because I couldn't choose between the colors

edit: they're up on deathwish too. so it looks like there are 6 colorways so far. 3 for each label, at least I'm guessing because DW has posted pics of both coke bottle and clear, neither of which are on topshelf

Looks like the bundle is the only thing people were ordering on topshelf because it's already sold out. I'm really happy for both them and Pianos that they're getting as big as they are. They just put up the 6th pressing of The Lack Long After, god drat.

Ordered the half blue/half gold. I would've loved to get the bundle, but I don't really have all the money in the world at the moment, so I'll just settle with the half and half as I'm sure it will look amazing and sound great too.

e: I just checked and the bundles are sold out anyway

nomapple fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 8, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Most of you have probably seen it already: http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/album/split

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

Most of you have probably seen it already: http://topshelfrecords.bandcamp.com/album/split

loving amazing. I wish they'd done like 5 songs each :(
FOR THE FIRST TIME, IN A LONG TIME.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

I lied; I didn't get the "bundle", I got the "package" w/ a tshirt and some other poo poo.. I was wondering why people were saying it was sold out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bad Religion put up another new song from their new album on some site you have to sign up for

http://www.rdio.com/artist/Bad_Religion/album/Vanity/

it's not a very good song, so it probably isn't worth signing up.

I'm gonna supplement this post with a picture of me with Joe Queer

I was waaaay too drunk to remember to turn the flash on. Dude's like 50 and looks like he's about to keel over and die from cancer or something, but somehow in spite of this they put on a really :krad: show.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 9, 2013

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
That PBTT song is a pretty good impression of Counting Crows at their most maudlin.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Got the download of the PBTT/TA split and it came with a song from Caravels and Octaves, too. Neat.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Got the download of the PBTT/TA split and it came with a song from Caravels and Octaves, too. Neat.

Hah that Caravels song is off their split with Gifts From Enola. Caravels also rarely disappoints.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Yeah I really like it, and I had never listened to them before.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Yeah I really like it, and I had never listened to them before.

Everything they have ever done is great.

I am pretty sure their upcoming full length is gonna sound pretty different.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

Everything they have ever done is great.

I am pretty sure their upcoming full length is gonna sound pretty different.

Good or bad? I haven't heard any of the newer stuff and from what you said before I'm assuming it's good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

Good or bad? I haven't heard any of the newer stuff and from what you said before I'm assuming it's good.

I am assuming, here. This is them playing "new material" 6 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBYot_Fym4

I wasn't too into it, but we'll see, I will definitely buy the album anyway.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alg posted:

I am assuming, here. This is them playing "new material" 6 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YBYot_Fym4

I wasn't too into it, but we'll see, I will definitely buy the album anyway.

I actually like this stuff for the most part but it's always hard to judge when the vocals are barely in the mix. That second song is also off the split I mentioned, it's called "Sagen Genesis".

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Forget that sold out bundle, I got the one with the shirt and the rarest 7" colorway. :smug:

I swear I buy every loving shirt bundle I can get my hands on.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Hey dudes, I'm running a sale at the Tapes of a Neon God store until Sunday morning. 20% off two or more if you use "qualcon" when you check out.
http://tapes.storenvy.com/

We got hardcore, noise, noise rock, grindcore, sharp sticks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

These guys own.

https://soundcloud.com/kremlin

7" is being put out on Grave Mistake in 2013, their 12" will be on Beach Impediment Records.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

cf posted:

Hey dudes, I'm running a sale at the Tapes of a Neon God store until Sunday morning. 20% off two or more if you use "qualcon" when you check out.
http://tapes.storenvy.com/

We got hardcore, noise, noise rock, grindcore, sharp sticks.

buy these loving tapes you shits

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

alg posted:

These guys own.

https://soundcloud.com/kremlin

7" is being put out on Grave Mistake in 2013, their 12" will be on Beach Impediment Records.

Good band on record but can only truly be appreciated live.

In other Grave Mistake news he and Bobby Egger of Headcount Records who also runs the local awesome punk record store are rebooting Vinyl Conflict Records this year. The first two releases will be a Barge 7" and a 7" for one of my bands Devil's Hand. Be on the lookout for those records.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
that's my favorite record store anywhere and im thankful for it

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
So Marrow (ex-Greyskull) recorded a full length last year some time and promptly broke up (big surprise). Apparently it may still see the light of day. Until then, listen to this you fuckers because it's really good http://marrow.bandcamp.com/

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Thanks to everyone posting about Topshelf. I started exploring the line-up after I listened to the split based on some things I saw in here, and found some really great stuff I otherwise would have missed. Caravels and Cut Teeth both loving own.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Caravels song that Topshelf put in with the Split tracks is really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Inspector_71 posted:

The Caravels song that Topshelf put in with the Split tracks is really loving good.

Their 12" with Earthling Sessions and Floorboards is even better, as is their S/T EP from 2011.

Really everything they have done so far has been incredible.

edit: Topshelf made winter hats :3: http://topshelfrecords.bigcartel.com/

alg fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 10, 2013