Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Really can't wait for Hopslam, saw that it should be shipping to WI around the 14th. Hope distributors don't sit on it for too long, it was pretty great when it showed up last year four days (!!) after bottling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Huge_Midget posted:

As far as I'm concerned, PtY might as well not even exist because it essentially exists for 1 day a year in like a dozen bars in California. I'm talking about yearly, semi-widely available IIPAs. I've had a 3 day old PtE and I've had day old Hopslam and I can say without reservation that Hopslam is a better beer. I get that west coast IPAs are liquid hops with a thin malt backbone, but to me Hopslam is a more complete beer with the better malt background. You can probably drink more PtE in a sitting because it has a thinner mouthfeel than Hopslam, but I'd rather drink a Hopslam for the balance and the amazing taste.

I've had day old Hosplam and fresh-from-the-tap PtE but I think they're very different DIPAs to the point saying one is better than another is like trying to prove that the sunset is more beautiful than the sunrise. When I was living in the Midwest, I have to say that I preferred Bells Two Hearted over Hopslam on a regular basis because the latter, while having a great taste is a little rough on the senses overall. Talking about PtY is equivalent to FFF Dark Lord; they're both incredible (over-hyped) beers whose existence might as well be zero if you don't live near Chicago or LA/SF. However, if you don't introduce the caveat, they represent the best in their field.

edit: I think what I'm trying to say is an acknowledgment that PtY is the best but also with the understanding that it's something most non-Californians will have a chance to even drink.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 8, 2013

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Crossposted from the Always Sunny thread in TVIV:

Stone's next collaboration beer is going to be the Sunny-inspired "Dayman" coffee IPA. http://philly.thedrinknation.com/articles/read/9608-Stone-Brewing-to-Release-Always-Sunny-Dayman-Collab-Beer

Now I love coffee beers and I love IPAs, but I'm not really sure how well that's going to mesh. Is there anything even remotely similar out there to try and approximate what this might be like? I'm going to buy at least one regardless since I love Always Sunny and am also really interested to see what this ends up tasting like.

previous IPA chat: Tyranena's Hop Whore IIPA is loving amazing and I wish I'd have gotten more than 2 in my trade with my friend in Wisconsin. Missed Hopslam last year since I hadn't begun to really get into IPAs at that point, so I'm looking forward to snagging some this year.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Valencia posted:

Crossposted from the Always Sunny thread in TVIV:

Stone's next collaboration beer is going to be the Sunny-inspired "Dayman" coffee IPA. http://philly.thedrinknation.com/articles/read/9608-Stone-Brewing-to-Release-Always-Sunny-Dayman-Collab-Beer

Now I love coffee beers and I love IPAs, but I'm not really sure how well that's going to mesh. Is there anything even remotely similar out there to try and approximate what this might be like? I'm going to buy at least one regardless since I love Always Sunny and am also really interested to see what this ends up tasting like.

Mikkeller does one, but it's Mikkeller so cost and a sub-0.500 batting average as a brewery for them means I wasn't gonna try it. It doesn't seem like a terribly good combination, but Stone and Two Brothers generally do good stuff.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Mikkeller does one, but it's Mikkeller so cost and a sub-0.500 batting average as a brewery for them means I wasn't gonna try it. It doesn't seem like a terribly good combination, but Stone and Two Brothers generally do good stuff.

people i know that have tried it (or any coffee IPA) said it was not very good. sure sounds awful.

also, is Hopslam gonna be the new pumpkin beer ITT?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Speaking of overly pricey Danish breweries, I saw 4-packs of Evil Twin's Hipster ale,a 5.5% APA, in two separate stores (neither of which price gouge) for $17. Who the gently caress buys these beers?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
For New Jersey goons looking for De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010, I found a few bottles at the West Deptford Canals. They are $35 each and I think I saw 3 on the shelf. I wish I didn't pass as it seems to be a great beer, according to ratings, but money is tight now. I highly recommend checking out this store even if they don't have this beer left though, it's got one of the most diverse selections of beer I've ever seen from 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend to Black Albert. Every time I walk in there I have to leave my wallet in the car and bring only cash in.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
I quite enjoy the way the coffee bitterness works with the hop bitterness in mikkellers koppi. I'm not sure if it's a huge improvement, but it's interesting. Speaking of Mikkeller, Mikkel just announced that he's opening his second bar here in Copenhagen. The original is great but really small and always packed to the brim, so I hope it'll be a fair bit larger.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

SnowDog posted:

I've been using untappd for about 8 months now. During that time I've checked in to 110 unique beers.

I have yet to have the courage to mention that number to anyone who isn't also a beer nut.

Broke 1000 about a month ago :ohdear:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

looks like Great Divide will not be making Belgian Yeti again this year, so here's your warning to stock up (by which i mean set aside a couple for me)

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Here in Kalamazoo we've been drinking Hopslam since Friday :smug:. It's incredibly good as always. I'd only call it sweet in comparison to Pliny. It's really just balanced, nothing like Maharaja or 90 Minute. I think that balance lets a lot more flavor complexity come out rather than be drowned out by bitterness...said balance also makes it really approachable for such a big beer, as my all-weekend hangover would have attested.

Also, someone earlier said Dark Lord was the best Imperial Stout out there, if you didn't factor availability. I can safely say a) I really disagree and b) so do the brewers from Three Floyds, who I met at Bell's. They all volunteered that they liked Expedition better.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

funkybottoms posted:

looks like Great Divide will not be making Belgian Yeti again this year, so here's your warning to stock up (by which i mean set aside a couple for me)

I've been holding on to a pair, and literally two nights ago thought to myself "I always see these on shelves where the store's got a good GDBC stock, I should just drink these." And this is why I read the internet. Hoarder mode ENGAGE.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Really didn't like Belgian Yeti the first time I had it, but I guess I should give it another shot while I have the chance.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

I've had day old Hosplam and fresh-from-the-tap PtE but I think they're very different DIPAs to the point saying one is better than another is like trying to prove that the sunset is more beautiful than the sunrise. When I was living in the Midwest, I have to say that I preferred Bells Two Hearted over Hopslam on a regular basis because the latter, while having a great taste is a little rough on the senses overall. Talking about PtY is equivalent to FFF Dark Lord; they're both incredible (over-hyped) beers whose existence might as well be zero if you don't live near Chicago or LA/SF. However, if you don't introduce the caveat, they represent the best in their field.

edit: I think what I'm trying to say is an acknowledgment that PtY is the best but also with the understanding that it's something most non-Californians will have a chance to even drink.

Nitpicking here, but FFF Dark Lord (not counting the BA versions) is not at all hard to land if you trade - even semi-limited distribution shelf stuff like Abyss will land it. PtY is in a complete other league, where if you're lucky enough to know of a bar getting it on tap at all, you'd better be there within an hour of the announcement that they're tapping it else you'll be shut out.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

also, is Hopslam gonna be the new pumpkin beer ITT?

I doubt it because you aren't going to find many (or possibly any) Hopslam haters ITT. I personally don't understand what all the hype is about. I didn't think it was too sweet; I just didn't really love the hop profile it had and thought it was a bit astringent. There are other malty DIPAs that I enjoy more. It's a good beer, I just prefer others.

Maharajah, on the other hand, is WAY too sweet, IMO.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

crazyfish posted:

Nitpicking here, but FFF Dark Lord (not counting the BA versions) is not at all hard to land if you trade - even semi-limited distribution shelf stuff like Abyss will land it. PtY is in a complete other league, where if you're lucky enough to know of a bar getting it on tap at all, you'd better be there within an hour of the announcement that they're tapping it else you'll be shut out.

Edit: Seems like the myth of getting either Dark Lord or PtY increases with distance. Even when I was living in IL, Dark Lord tickets were hard to get and I didn't have a whole lot to trade for it; now that I'm back in LA, getting PtY was more of a question of going to the less popular bar locations; I remember Verdugo Bar being swarmed but Haven was near empty.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

Edit: Seems like the myth of getting either Dark Lord or PtY increases with distance. Even when I was living in IL, Dark Lord tickets were hard to get and I didn't have a whole lot to trade for it; now that I'm back in LA, getting PtY was more of a question of going to the less popular bar locations; I remember Verdugo Bar being swarmed but Haven was near empty.

I'm pretty sure standard Dark Lord runs in the 30,000-40,000 bottle range annually. That's a lot more than they produce Younger, if I understand correctly. And as crazyfish points out, DL isn't geographically limited. Yeah, you're either there or you have to trade but you don't have to be at a certain place, at a certain time to get your lips on it.

As someone said earlier, Younger might as well not exist to most people.

EDIT: And speaking of PtY, there's a guy on Chicago craigslist who's advertising to buy "cellars." Which is fine, I guess. You got money and someone has beer to sell? More power to you. But in his list of wants, he includes both Plinys. Dude, if you're going to try and get into beer, don't just read BA's Top Beers list and go hunting for them. Educate yourself a little first, for gently caress's sake...

danbanana fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 8, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

For New Jersey goons looking for De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010, I found a few bottles at the West Deptford Canals. They are $35 each and I think I saw 3 on the shelf. I wish I didn't pass as it seems to be a great beer, according to ratings, but money is tight now. I highly recommend checking out this store even if they don't have this beer left though, it's got one of the most diverse selections of beer I've ever seen from 3 Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend to Black Albert. Every time I walk in there I have to leave my wallet in the car and bring only cash in.

I'll take all 3 off your hands if you can go back and get it. I can paypal you the money ASAP if you'd like. E-mail me at BagofSunChips [at] gmail.com

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Since we're talking IIPAs: What's the best example of a DIPA or IIPA that's available nationally?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Edit: Ignore post. Apologies for wasting space.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Since we're talking IIPAs: What's the best example of a DIPA or IIPA that's available nationally?

If we're talking truly nationally, there aren't a whole lot of options. In fact, I can't think of one that is in pretty much every state, aside from, uh, Hoptimum? Not even Ruination goes everywhere.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

I think saying "nationally" really reduces down your choices to nothing. What state do you live in?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
But guys, Heady Topper just beat out PtY for overall popularity on BA

East Coast supremacy, pack it up

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I doubt it because you aren't going to find many (or possibly any) Hopslam haters ITT. I personally don't understand what all the hype is about. I didn't think it was too sweet; I just didn't really love the hop profile it had and thought it was a bit astringent. There are other malty DIPAs that I enjoy more. It's a good beer, I just prefer others.

oh, i just meant in terms of things i personally get sick of everyone talking about.

if we're talking truly national distribution, i'd guess it has to be something from Sierra Nevada- Torpedo or Celebration, perhaps.

whoa- people were ready for that one, huh?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

funkybottoms posted:

oh, i just meant in terms of things i personally get sick of everyone talking about.

if we're talking truly national distribution, i'd guess it has to be something from Sierra Nevada- Torpedo or Celebration, perhaps.

whoa- people were ready for that one, huh?

He asked about DIPAs, though, and Torpedo and Celebration are just singles.

I guess that Sam Adams DIPA is available nationwide probably, but I wouldn't call it anything good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thinking of driving down from Philly to Of Love & Regret on Saturday afternoon/evening. Anyone been? Worth it?

(If they have Why Can't IBU on draft the answer so far as I'm concerned is 'yes' but feedback from anyone who's been will still be appreciated.)

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

cryme posted:

I guess that Sam Adams DIPA is available nationwide probably, but I wouldn't call it anything good.

e:f,b.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 8, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Maharajah, on the other hand, is WAY too sweet, IMO.

I plan on sending you a few bottles of this year's batch, maybe it will change your mind. Granted, I'm of the opinion that there are tons of local DIPAs that are just as good as the big names like Heady, Hopslam, Pliny, etc.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Furious Lobster posted:

I think Hoptimum is available nationwide and it is a DIPA.

cryme posted:

If we're talking truly nationally, there aren't a whole lot of options. In fact, I can't think of one that is in pretty much every state, aside from, uh, Hoptimum? Not even Ruination goes everywhere.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

funkybottoms posted:

I've got this. You'll see it in a few months.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Stupid post. Move along...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Once Boneyard starts canning, I guarantee you Hop Venom will be BA's next ratings darling

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'll take all 3 off your hands if you can go back and get it. I can paypal you the money ASAP if you'd like. E-mail me at BagofSunChips [at] gmail.com

I have to wait until Thursday to get my paycheck, I called the store and asked if they could set the three aside the response I got was "We haven't sold a bottle of it yet at that price, I'm sure they'll be there Thursday." The guy didn't sound like a jerk, but I don't think he was a beer knowledgeable person. I tried to explain it to him that they were in high demand but he assured me they would be there so I'll go back Thursday and pick them up for you if they're still there.

Edit: I have no idea how much it would cost to ship, but I think it would be about $20-$30 to ship from my limited trade experience.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

ah, yeah, i read that as "DIPAs and IPAs," but doesn't SN call Torpedo an "Extra IPA" or something?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Midorka posted:

I have to wait until Thursday to get my paycheck, I called the store and asked if they could set the three aside the response I got was "We haven't sold a bottle of it yet at that price, I'm sure they'll be there Thursday." The guy didn't sound like a jerk, but I don't think he was a beer knowledgeable person. I tried to explain it to him that they were in high demand but he assured me they would be there so I'll go back Thursday and pick them up for you if they're still there.

Edit: I have no idea how much it would cost to ship, but I think it would be about $20-$30 to ship from my limited trade experience.

That's fine. Please email me so we can take this discussion off the forums.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Once Boneyard starts canning, I guarantee you Hop Venom will be BA's next ratings darling

It should be, but even when they start canning it probably won't make it far from the West Coast, at least not for a couple of years.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
So in anticipation of no more Belgian Yeti I bought the last bottle at the local shop, which I looked and saw was bottled in June of 2011. Winning.

In addition in the 4 months I spent sober and in AFG apparently the distribution to NW Florida improved leaps and bounds for a number of companies.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Sirotan posted:

Chicagoons: Anyone gonna be around Jan 19/20? Considering a drive down, would love to do a bottle share.

I'll be around. :) Probably won't have anything too rare, but I still have more than enough homebrew to share.

Tried a bottle of Boulevard Rye-on-Rye last night that my brother-in-law got me for Christmas. It wasn't bad, but it really didn't make an impression on me: Plenty smooth, with lots of residual sweetness from being 12% ABV and a decent spicy rye character, but nothing that felt very unusual or striking. It's a decently-crafted beer, but Boulevard sets the bar really high with beers like Tank 7 and Brett Saison, so maybe I'm just spoiled.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wow this Honey Brown lager is delicious as hell. Seems to be light, not very heavy, and super sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Ohio has had *three* IPAs in BAs top 100 in the past 3-4 months, all of them mysteriously disappearing from the list within a few months :haw:

All of the ratings once they're in the top 100 seem to say something along the lines of "This beer totally isn't worth being in the top 100! It's not balanced at all, what a mess!"