Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.
146-111-155 tonight. Legitimately getting better/more consistent at this!! Came off the 9th frame of the last game with a strike and proceeded to throw the ball directly into the gutter but I can't really complain about my scores. My teammates were on fire and we won all seven points.

Having my own actual ball makes such an absurd difference. The lanes are so much more generous with its gentle hook if I gently caress up left or right, vs a straight house ball that is just gonna go in a direct line toward wherever your error is. This is probably pretty basic stuff I guess. Still getting the hang of finding a good line (as I get used to it I often find my ball hooking pretty dramatically and sometimes way to the left of the headipin...) but I am starting to trust myself to hook the ball. Whale Cancer get that ball drilled immediately you will be amped about it.

Ball question!! One of my fingertip grips comes out a fraction of an inch above the surface of the ball on one half. Would it be dumb to just take an exacto knife to it or should I take it to the shop?

Also here is a cool video I found that helped me understand oil. Might be useful to other beginners~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJS0xikBVo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I would take it to the pro-shop. They might not even charge to fix it, if you had it drilled there.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Whale Cancer posted:

Still using house balls but tonight I bowled 143, 138, 148. Not too bad considering a month ago I was lucky to break 100. Still straight bowling house balls until I can make the drive to get my Slingshot drilled.

Nice. I doubt I could average 140 with a house ball! Suggests you have a pretty good level of control, keeping it around the head pin and hitting a fair number of spares. It's super-easy to leave splits when you can't hook, too.

Finger-tip grip on a resin ball will change how you view bowling.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Back-to-back 670+ series nights in my Wednesday night league. Looks like I'm going to be going on my usual second-half spree. No idea why it shakes out that way.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Toaster Beef posted:

Back-to-back 670+ series nights in my Wednesday night league. Looks like I'm going to be going on my usual second-half spree. No idea why it shakes out that way.

Better than what I always seem to do. Start out gangbusters the first 5 or 6 weeks, then slowly bring my average down about 10 pins over the next 30 weeks. I am the worst kind of team mate to have in a handicapped league.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

buffto posted:

Better than what I always seem to do. Start out gangbusters the first 5 or 6 weeks, then slowly bring my average down about 10 pins over the next 30 weeks. I am the worst kind of team mate to have in a handicapped league.

That's always my first half. I was averaging a healthy 212 to end last season, then did the same for a few weeks in the beginning of this one before sputtering and dropping into the low 190s with a bunch of inconsistent weeks. The one adjustment I've made is putting a bit more speed on the ball, and that seems to be this alley's IDDQD. I guess we will just have to see how this week shakes out, because two weeks can very easily be a fluke for me but three in a row would be an indication I've at least got some poo poo figured out.

Also I've taken to throwing backup balls at spares on the right side. I've missed one ten pin in the past eight weeks.

Two-handed may very well just be cheating.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I know a lot of people don't watch the PBA anymore, but today was pretty awesome.

Scott Norton beat Belmo in the last match then kissed his husband and cried his eyes out afterwards. :3: Walter Ray had the worst pin carry I've ever seen and bitched out the lane maintenance guy for doing his job. And Fawaz Abdullah bowled with loving gout in his right foot.

And I finally got paid for my last tournament cash so I'm bowling a 10 game marathon tournament on Tuesday. Hopefully my knee holds up.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

128-156-155 with my last week on a house ball. I'm super happy with my improvement so far and I can't wait to get this drat thing drilled and start hooking the ball. Also bought my own shoes. Nothing fancy just some Dexter Turbo ii's.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

So the marathon was batshit insane.

10 games on Abbey Road. It's a Kegel Challenge pattern but they would have been better off putting a house shot out.

They adjusted me up to a 193 average so I got like 13 sticks a game handicap. 135 total for the ten game set.

I shot 2087 scratch which is pretty good for me on a non house pattern. Ended up at 2222, or +222 for ten games. +148 won the whole thing last year.

I came in 12th out of 70 people. The winner shot loving +560. He was on my pair and averaged 256 on the day. I got $85 and made a $10 profit on the day. I'm still pretty happy because I managed to bead a lot of good bowlers before my handicap even came into play. And I was the only guy with a sub 200 average to go positive on the day.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Any check is a good check. Position round tomorrow night; in the teens out of 64 ,so there's some scratch involved .

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Got my slingshot drilled and took her out for league tonight for the first time. 3 games and I never broke 135. It's just a fun league so it doesn't really matter and we beat the team we played against.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Whale Cancer posted:

Got my slingshot drilled and took her out for league tonight for the first time. 3 games and I never broke 135. It's just a fun league so it doesn't really matter and we beat the team we played against.

The transition to throwing your own ball with a hook is not at all an easy one; don't get discouraged. Sounds like you're already doing fine on that front, so just keep it up.

Threw a 603 this past Wednesday — but a consistent one (195, 198, 210), so it could have been worse. Could've easily been a more solid 630-something if it weren't for two low counts followed up by missed spares and one botched spare on the right side.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone else here through a specific spare ball? I got my DV8 Zombie ball drilled last week and played a few games with it and found I had trouble actually throwing the ball straight at pins! Most of the time I'd line up directly in front of what I was throwing at but when I did that and I'm not sure what I was doing, the ball would drift to the right, usually missing what I was aiming at. I guess maybe coming out of the ball too late? I think one of my issues was possibly overthrowing the ball as well. Any tips on throwing a spare ball straight?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I throw my spare the same as I would a strike ball (meaning release and rotation, etc) unless the lanes are totally torched. One less thing to worry about.

I have a system I use. Find a line you're comfortable with to shoot a 10 pin. This should be across at least half the lane. From that line if you throw the ball on the same path every time you should be able to make the 3, 6, 10, 9, and any combination thereof. Except the 3-6-9-10, where you want to throw a hook ball that will cover the 9. Do the same on the other side with the 7, 4, 2, and 8.

I've gone from 70% single pin spare shooting a month ago to 95%. I throw a hook at anything involving a sleeper pin and straight at literally anything else, even if it's just the head pin.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Critical posted:

I throw my spare the same as I would a strike ball (meaning release and rotation, etc) unless the lanes are totally torched. One less thing to worry about.

I have a system I use. Find a line you're comfortable with to shoot a 10 pin. This should be across at least half the lane. From that line if you throw the ball on the same path every time you should be able to make the 3, 6, 10, 9, and any combination thereof. Except the 3-6-9-10, where you want to throw a hook ball that will cover the 9. Do the same on the other side with the 7, 4, 2, and 8.

I've gone from 70% single pin spare shooting a month ago to 95%. I throw a hook at anything involving a sleeper pin and straight at literally anything else, even if it's just the head pin.

Good tips, I'll work on this this weekend when I go and practice!

Schach
Jul 21, 2007

Critical posted:

Scott Norton beat Belmo in the last match then kissed his husband and cried his eyes out afterwards.

Just looked up the video and man it rules insanely hard! :3: forever thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of Belmo does anyone here throw with that style? Noticed a guy in my league doing it rolling in the low 200s the other week. We played his team when my league started and I dimly recall thinking at the time that he just had no idea what the gently caress he was doing, heh. While I was reading about him after discovering his weird rivalry with Vin Gerard I saw this article about the style getting popular but it's a few years old now http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123379401410650043.html

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Schach posted:

Just looked up the video and man it rules insanely hard! :3: forever thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of Belmo does anyone here throw with that style? Noticed a guy in my league doing it rolling in the low 200s the other week. We played his team when my league started and I dimly recall thinking at the time that he just had no idea what the gently caress he was doing, heh. While I was reading about him after discovering his weird rivalry with Vin Gerard I saw this article about the style getting popular but it's a few years old now http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123379401410650043.html

There's a girl in my league, think she's 19 or so, can't weight more than 100 pounds who throws 2 handed. She has a 212 average and has bowled a 299 and 298 this season, she's pretty dam good and I can't imagine if she bowled 1 handed she'd be able to get the revs on the ball she does now. I will say her back isn't going to hold up very long with the amount of force she's putting on it. If I tried it the way she is doing it I'd no doubt throw out my back.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah I was considering trying it because maybe it's terrible but I seem to have the best luck with my hook throwing the ball a pretty fair distance before it actually hits the lane. My back is garbage though so I'm pretty sure it's not an option.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
^^^ Two-handed will not help you loft the ball more. Your second hand doesn't actually factor into the release whatsoever, if you're throwing two-handed 'properly.'

I throw two-handed. Bowled one-handed for about thirteen years and just wasn't having fun with it anymore, decided to try two-handed about two years ago now and I haven't looked back. I'm more consistent, throwing a nicer ball and my average jumped at least twenty pins (up to around 210).

I've always had a terrible back, but throwing two-handed has never aggravated it. Your mileage may vary.

Feel free to ask away, if you have any questions. I think it's a style everybody should at least try once, though it's definitely not for everyone.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 8, 2013

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Didn't realise that; Belmonte and Osku seem throw the ball a good fifteen feet so I just assumed. Do you throw without the thumb and everything? How'd you get started when you switched? I'm sort of obsessed with "proper" technique because I'm a weirdo and I dunno if I'd be comfortable just picking up a new style that my bowling friends wouldn't really be able to give me advice about. Why do you reckon everyone should try it?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Schach posted:

Didn't realise that; Belmonte and Osku seem throw the ball a good fifteen feet so I just assumed. Do you throw without the thumb and everything? How'd you get started when you switched? I'm sort of obsessed with "proper" technique because I'm a weirdo and I dunno if I'd be comfortable just picking up a new style that my bowling friends wouldn't really be able to give me advice about. Why do you reckon everyone should try it?

Belmonte may actually be one of the strongest sumbitches on the tour. Dude can loft the ball an absurd distance, and he does it with almost no backswing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEKDsRm-Crs

Osku's the same way, but he's super lanky and uses that height to his advantage. Though I'm telling you things you already know.

Anyway, the point of the second hand isn't to help guide or lift the ball so much as to prevent it from falling out of your hand. Think of it this way: Essentially, the second hand replaces your thumb.

I throw without the thumb, yeah (I actually have a ball or two without any thumbhole at all, though they're more for novelty since I'm not sure that's legal), and I can't really imagine throwing two-handed with my thumb in the ball. Something would shatter, I reckon, because I can't picture getting my thumb out quickly enough. Then again, I haven't really tried it.

I got started by getting incredibly bored one day while at the lanes on my own time, cradling the ball with both hands and just doing what came naturally. There's really no other way I can describe it, I think, because there was absolutely nothing I'd learned to that point in my life to actually help prepare me for what it'd feel like throwing a ball two-handed like that. While it looks completely batshit, once you try to keep both hands on the ball through your entire approach you'll see how it could actually feel really natural with some practice. It took me a while to get the timing and release right, but the physical act of bringing the ball to the lane with both hands was much easier than I expected.

I feel like everybody should try it at least once partially because they could take some of the mystery out of it for themselves. I throw back-up two-handed shots at the ten pin and people freak the hell out because they don't know how it works. Truth is it's just a matter of understanding your release, which brings me to another point: I think throwing a ball or two two-handed can actually teach you a decent amount about your release because it removes the thumb from the equation. That's just my way of thinking, though. Like I said, it's not a delivery style for everyone. I don't plan on ever going back willingly, but I'm sure there are plenty of people for whom it would be hot garbage.

Firestarter
Nov 3, 2002

Cliff Yablonski hates me!
Finished up on the short pattern in the Sport league tonight. Was able to shoot 840 for four games for the third time in a row. Looks like I'll end up 5th of 30, carrying a 199 average with a 41 - 23 match play record into the long pattern.

We are switching to a 42 foot pattern for the remaining 16 weeks. Interestingly there are no WTBA patterns that are 42 feet this year (and none that were 42 feet last year) so it will be interesting to see what's laid down next Monday.

Looks like I'll be able to test the Disturbed from Roto Grip for a video ball review tomorrow. Looking forward to that, as the last Roto ball I tested (Defiant Soul) I fell in love with (and then bought).

Schach
Jul 21, 2007

Jesus Christ that video. I just meant it seems like you'd get more loft by default because surely with the crooked elbow the ball is leaving your hand farther from the ground? I have no idea what I am talking about at any point.

I just got back from throwing a few practice games (the lanes were trashed & I basically just spent an hour whining loudly) and I was too nervous to even try two handed until my very last frame. Throwing without the thumb is actually surprisingly comfortable but I was basically dumbfounded by the approach and ended up sort of gingerly tossing it into the gutter. I am pretty rigidly attached to my timing. I guess I should probably get more competent with normal bowling before trying anything fancy but the style really appeals to me.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I hurt my shoulder bowling on Wii Sports. Somehow, it was more intense than actually bowling with my 15lb ball.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Schach posted:

Jesus Christ that video. I just meant it seems like you'd get more loft by default because surely with the crooked elbow the ball is leaving your hand farther from the ground? I have no idea what I am talking about at any point.

I just got back from throwing a few practice games (the lanes were trashed & I basically just spent an hour whining loudly) and I was too nervous to even try two handed until my very last frame. Throwing without the thumb is actually surprisingly comfortable but I was basically dumbfounded by the approach and ended up sort of gingerly tossing it into the gutter. I am pretty rigidly attached to my timing. I guess I should probably get more competent with normal bowling before trying anything fancy but the style really appeals to me.

Well the thing about the crooked elbow is you're still straightening your arm out before the ball is actually released. If you're throwing two-handed and keeping your elbow bent on release then you'll end up just as inconsistent as a one-handed bowler with a bent elbow. Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3utcJBMqYg

There are videos of Belmonte's delivery that break it down even slower, but this gives you a pretty good view of things. Look at where he lets go of the ball. It's right where you'd expect any one-handed bowler to release it — maybe even a tad lower. It all happens so drat quickly in real time, though, so it's easy to miss.

Edit: also, I have to wonder what an alley owner thinks of someone lofting the ball like that. I mean, he's a pro, so you know he is hugely unlikely to drop it into a divider and shatter something, but that kind of loft can't be good for the lane in general.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 8, 2013

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Yeah I think that is part of what I missed. Does everyone do that little hop step? Osku seems to as well. Style seems to have more moving parts.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Schach posted:

Yeah I think that is part of what I missed. Does everyone do that little hop step? Osku seems to as well. Style seems to have more moving parts.

I don't, but I also don't throw it as hard as those two. I think the hop step is mostly for power. I've seen plenty of two-handers throw without that hop step, but none on the pro level. That's just me, though.

It's probably fair to say there are more moving parts, but whether that's an issue or not depends on which parts you prefer to focus on. I have weak wrists and could never properly throw a ball one-handed with any consistency, so even though I could average 190 I couldn't say I ever felt fully comfortable. A two-handed approach completely removes a weak wrist from the equation, and thus I've been able to make my release much more consistent.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I went to one of those family fun centers this Sunday and spent most of the time bowling. I haven't been to an alley of any sort in 4-5 years, and... I loved it. I loving loved it. I'm not great, but for something to do with a group of friends? What a game.

Although I might just be super excited because I won all 5 games, but who knows.

My sister was also bowling with index and middle finger for over half the games before I noticed. Not sure if this is an actual workable grip, but I showed her the ring finger and middle finger grip and she started getting spares out of nowhere, so it works for her I guess.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I went to one of those family fun centers this Sunday and spent most of the time bowling. I haven't been to an alley of any sort in 4-5 years, and... I loved it. I loving loved it. I'm not great, but for something to do with a group of friends? What a game.

Although I might just be super excited because I won all 5 games, but who knows.

My sister was also bowling with index and middle finger for over half the games before I noticed. Not sure if this is an actual workable grip, but I showed her the ring finger and middle finger grip and she started getting spares out of nowhere, so it works for her I guess.

I'd guess that bowling with the middle/index finger would unbalance the ball, requiring more torque on the thumb and fingers to keep it stable. That doesn't account for the larger difference in finger lengths that might further complicate gripping and releasing it.

Seems very uncomfortable, with a higher probability of spraining something.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Here's a video taken ... I dunno, maybe eight months ago? Since then I've done a lot with my approach, including incorporating more backswing. I'll try to grab a better quality video tonight or thereabouts. Two-handed, no little hop step. Then again, it's also slow as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7S2L6Whfw

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Pander posted:

I'd guess that bowling with the middle/index finger would unbalance the ball, requiring more torque on the thumb and fingers to keep it stable. That doesn't account for the larger difference in finger lengths that might further complicate gripping and releasing it.

Seems very uncomfortable, with a higher probability of spraining something.

That's what I thought. I feel like you get more "even" force on the ball with the middle and ring finger. Only problem I ever had was when I smacked my knee with the ball when my foot slipped. :v:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Anyone have a Brunswick Aura/Paranormal they could comment on at all? I'm between getting that or waiting for the Storm Sync to come out in the beginning of February. Any comments/experiences at all on any of the newer top-line balls from Storm or Brunswick would be greatly appreciated.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Here's a video

Oh cool. Interesting! That illuminates it somewhat. The guy at my league spikes his right leg way out into the ground in like a wide diagonal stance. He throws super hard but it's pretty violent and looks painful the way he twists. I might give it a shot some more at practice. If nothing else it might help me work on my timing and my release. Thanks for all the ideas.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
No problem :)

I know I throw probably the wimpiest two-handed ball in recorded history, but that's what works for me. If someone can handle putting more into it, more power to them (no pun intended). That dude in your league sounds like he probably could end up hurting himself. If you watch Belmo throw a ball now, he doesn't wrench his back much at all. There's still some movement there, but by and large he's got everything under control. Whatever gets the ball down the lane and into the pocket, sure, but while there may be no 'right' way to bowl there are certainly plenty of unsafe ways.

And if you try two-handed a bit more and it just doesn't work for you, ain't no shame in that. It's just not for everyone, and as someone who never felt comfortable with a one-handed delivery I still get jealous of people who do it effortlessly.

Edit: Probably my last Belmo video dump, but check out his one-handed delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWUNCGUayTU

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 9, 2013

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
That's less awkward than I expected. Osku bowls a one handed spare here and it looks sort of ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0wgPJQTn_M&t=740s

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Schach posted:

That's less awkward than I expected. Osku bowls a one handed spare here and it looks sort of ridiculous.

There are some clips of Palermo throwing one-handed really loving hard, and it's kind of terrifying to watch. Dude knows how to utilize his height.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

So I'm having an issue where my ball is passing the headpin and striking to the left. I think this is called Brooklyn? What can I do to correct it? If I move to the right it goes in the gutter, if I move to the left it misses way left. Do I need to increase/reduce revs? I don't bowl with a lot of speed or high revs that I know of. I tried a later release and it seems to help a little bit.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Try moving your feet 2-3 boards to the left while looking at the same target on the lane. This should cause you to catch just a touch more oil in the middle and get the extra length to hit the correct pocket. In general if your ball is hooking past your target you need to move your feet a little to the left, and if it's not hooking quite enough you need to move your feet a little to the right. This is assuming you've got a consistent target you're shooting for.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
This week would have been our first back... but the lane machine popped a belt and the lanes hadn't been oiled for 4 days. Needless to say we voted on skipping this week.

• Locked thread