Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Its not often that the statue is on ebay (too rich for my blood) but I havent seen anything with his signature pop up... and I want one.

Goons with LA treasures, sign in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Goons with LA treasures, sign in!

I hate you so much right now.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think Princess Tomato is worth it as a "historical" episode. In that it's the only time it really seems like Arino just does not give a poo poo about the game at all. And he's on his own TV show, being filmed falling asleep on the job. Basically it's an interesting curiosity of an episode to see him so far from his normal cheerful self.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ofecks posted:

Given its reputation as an arcade-at-home powerhouse, there were a pathetic amount of ports released here. I guess it makes sense, though, since arcades in the US were dead by then. At least Taito was brave enough to put out the only two shmups - Darius Gaiden (meh) and Galactic Attack (friggin awesome).

There were definitely more shmups than those two released for Saturn, even internationally.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There were definitely more shmups than those two released for Saturn, even internationally.

Talking about Saturn shmups, now I want to play Thunderforce V (the Saturn version of which got me hooked on shmups, but I love the PS1 version too).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Given its reputation as an arcade-at-home powerhouse, there were a pathetic amount of ports released here. I guess it makes sense, though, since arcades in the US were dead by then. At least Taito was brave enough to put out the only two shmups - Darius Gaiden (meh) and Galactic Attack (friggin awesome).

The Saturn was woefully underrepresented in the US market when you consider all the incredible games that never made it here like Treasure's Radiant Silvergun, the non-gimped version of X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and the reason I bought a Saturn - the Dungeons & Dragons Arcade Collection. Heck, a friend of mine brought back a suitcase full of Saturn games from a trip to Japan years ago, and even digging through the myriad of licensed anime games, we were able to find some gems. The Gundam Gaiden games were far better than expected, and if we had been able to read enough Japanese to play the Legend of the Galactic Heroes strategy game he found, I'm sure it would have been fantastic.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 8, 2013

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got to agree with Nipponophile about the licensed anime games for Saturn. A lot of them were way better than they had any right to be. Then there was the Utena visual novel game that had no save at the end of a disc and my US Saturn with import enabler cartridge would go back to the console menu when I opened the lid to change discs. :argh:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The irony there is that the Saturn is one of the easiest consoles by far to modify to play imports, though it ideally requires someone with some knowledge of a soldering iron. My Saturn has a convenient switch placed on the back panel that I can flip depending on which region's games I am playing. It didn't require any special chip like the Playstation, just a bit of wiring.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 8, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Screw modding, I just use an action replay. Plays imports, is a memory cart, and on top of that is a RAM cart. Besides Panzer Saga, which for some reason makes you remove the cartridge to play, Ive never removed it. Theres simply no need to.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Screw Action Replay, I'll just switch the cables from my US Saturn to my JP Saturn... :smug:

...on my TV that doesn't even have a composite A/V input. :smugissar: I really need to get a small CRT TV for my older systems. :sigh:

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Watching the Princess Tomato ep, seeing the SG-1000 II. Fun facts (for a certain definition of fun at least): The original SG-1000 turns 30 this year (as does the NES, naturally), and despite its lack of success overall it found a pretty comfortable niche in a lot of the rest of Asia; since the original MSX had almost the exact same hardware, over the years a bunch of MSX games have been ported to the system (or clone hardware) in Taiwan and Korea from what I've seen.

And there's also these crazy guys

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just found out that Arino was in the US last week. Apparently he took his vacation in Hawaii this year...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Working vacation?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Man, as much as I love Arino, it really of bothers me how he always acts like a dick to AD Watanabe. Sometimes it's just playful teasing, but he can also get pretty cruel.

Just because she's fat doesn't mean she doesn't have feelings...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Man, as much as I love Arino, it really of bothers me how he always acts like a dick to AD Watanabe. Sometimes it's just playful teasing, but he can also get pretty cruel.

Supposedly they're jokes that everyone on the staff, including her, is in on. You're still right that they're really uncomfortable jokes and the low point of any episode they're in.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ImpAtom posted:

You're still right that they're really uncomfortable jokes and the low point of any episode they're in.

With the one possible exception of the time that Arino gave her some food to hold while he played an arcade game and she ate it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

xamphear posted:

With the one possible exception of the time that Arino gave her some food to hold while he played an arcade game and she ate it.

That part made me believe the whole thing is just their shtick and she's in on it as well. That still doesn't make it good (or funny) however.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Katana Gomai posted:

That part made me believe the whole thing is just their shtick and she's in on it as well. That still doesn't make it good (or funny) however.

I am 100% convinced that it's her shtick and that she's absolutely fine with it and that she most likely suggested the shtick herself so she wouldn't feel awkward about being on air. And I also agree that it doesn't make it okay (or funny); watching it makes me uncomfortable as hell, but at least they are mercifully short sections of the show to get through.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Time_pants posted:

I like how people always talk about this, but not him and hell, the whole show being a dick to Inoue, Nakayama and Tanii sometimes when he shows up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Like I posted a few pages back, I always feel bad about the female announcer guests treating Nakayama so badly.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I was watching one of the episodes and it had an Arcade trip where some kids where playing videogames and one of the Kids goes "Wheres your comedy partner?", how famous in japan is Arino without GCX?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Katana Gomai posted:

That part made me believe the whole thing is just their shtick and she's in on it as well.

It unquestionably is.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://fangamer.com/blog/2013/01/08/game-center-cx-day/

Fangamer selling GCCX goods (official or not) would just be too perfect.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Random Stranger posted:

I just found out that Arino was in the US last week. Apparently he took his vacation in Hawaii this year...

And not even where I live, this "multiple islands" thing is pretty bullshit :smith:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

cronox2 posted:

http://fangamer.com/blog/2013/01/08/game-center-cx-day/

Given how open (surprisingly so, at the best of times, Japan's tighter than a duck's arse) the CX doods are, I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I continue to amass a collection of official GCCX merchandise thanks to Chococat! :neckbeard:

At this point I have two copies of the first DS game, the Discotek DVDs, a keychain, a pencil case, a bandanna, the tea towel, the folders and the pins... need more...

So yeah I'd be thrilled if Fangamer started selling the stuff.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Caitlin posted:

I continue to amass a collection of official GCCX merchandise thanks to Chococat! :neckbeard:

At this point I have two copies of the first DS game, the Discotek DVDs, a keychain, a pencil case, a bandanna, the tea towel, the folders and the pins... need more...

Two copies of the first game and no copies of the second?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

If RGC2 was finished I had a couple of ideas for related merchandise that I was going to pass on to Fangamer, but now that's on the back-back-back burner.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ineffiable posted:

Two copies of the first game and no copies of the second?

Haven't had the extra money to burn on an import copy I can't really play through without a walkthrough. My Japanese is kinda lovely. I'll end up with it eventually, though, don't worry. :downsgun:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Caitlin posted:

My GCCX stuff consists of only the 1st NA GCCX DS game and the 2nd Japanese GCCX DS game. Money has been tight for me to get the Discotek DVD and stuff from Chococat. I hope to get the Discotek DVD soon as well as an import copy of the 1st DS game. The reason I want the Japanese version of the 1st DS GCCX game is because I like to have Arino's voice in the game as well as the AD's pictures in the game magazines. I hate the voice and pictures they used in the NA version of the game. Another thing I would like to get imported from Japan is the Official Strategy Guide for both DS GCCX games. It is currently sold out at many import stores that I check online. I am trying to find a used copy online that isn't to expensive. If anyone can find me a copy of the strategy guide online, let me know.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

pnumoman posted:

I am 100% convinced that it's her shtick and that she's absolutely fine with it and that she most likely suggested the shtick herself so she wouldn't feel awkward about being on air. And I also agree that it doesn't make it okay (or funny); watching it makes me uncomfortable as hell, but at least they are mercifully short sections of the show to get through.
It was kinda funny when she got stuck in that kid's ride... I think any adult would have gotten stuck in that thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I like how people always talk about this, but not him and hell, the whole show being a dick to Inoue, Nakayama and Tanii sometimes when he shows up.

Inoue is so pathetic he deserves it. :v:

cronox2 posted:

Don't forget that there is some unofficial GCCX merchandise available...

Pulled Pork
Jun 11, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Inoue is so pathetic he deserves it. :v:

Don't disrespect my husbando, uguu~ :(. Inoko MAX will settle all in the ring!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that there is some unofficial GCCX merchandise available...

No offense intended. I'm just biased because I've bought from Fangamer for years and think they have the most consistently great designs (and artists) out of any of the gamer t-shirt types of online stores.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

cronox2 posted:

No offense intended. I'm just biased because I've bought from Fangamer for years and think they have the most consistently great designs (and artists) out of any of the gamer t-shirt types of online stores.

Don't forget Meat Bun. I'm biased because I do work for them but they're up there with Fangamer. I'm a happy customer of both stores.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

They're watching a TV-Nihon sub. Screw those guys.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Just wanted to pass this along. Zarigani posted a great watercolor fanart on Tumblr of Yoshi from Yoshi's Island. I suggested that she try to add Arino in the pic for the Yoshi's Island episode.

Quoted from the Tumblr page: "Tonight’s watercolour is Yoshi’s Island fanart! I’m watching The Speed Demo Archives’ Awesome Games Done Quick 2013 marathon for charity and saw an awesome speedrun of Yoshi’s Island, one of the most adorable video games ever. It has a great art style and I especially like the birds.

This fanart isn’t very inspired, so maybe tomorrow I’ll do a creepy realistic Yoshi or something."

http://space-coyote.tumblr.com/post/39918841425/tonights-watercolour-is-yoshis-island-fanart

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Princess Tomato isn't too bad. I'm only about a quarter of the way through the episode but the Tamage segment was wonderful.
Abe arguing with the old woman about stamp prices is probably the highlight.

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The whole Aces of Hardware segment might as well have been Kibe's Corner. Look at their system selection: Sega Master System, Sega SG-1000, Sega Game Gear, and then if they have time for it they'll do the 3do, Cassettevision, and Puter. I suppose it could be that Sega had more failed hardware than anyone but it really feels like Kibe just wanted to show off his collection.

Any fan of the Pyuuta / Tomy Tutor has my eternal admiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm loving the Princess Tomato episode. I never played it on NES, so the game looks like the most boring, insane thing ever. The fact that the game literally almost bores him to sleep is something special.