Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Beat Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Driver: San Francisco. Enjoyed ACB more than I thought I would, but I've had my fill of that type of game for now so I don't play on buying AC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Space Marine and Homefront are done. Only WH40k: Retribution, Juiced 2 and Saints Row 3 are left, and then I've beaten the THQ catalog. Saints Row 2 doesn't run on my computer for whatever reason, which is a shame.

I'm very much hoping THQ goes to someone worthwhile. Their games have been great fun. Too bad it had to end like this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Beaten Shatter. An OK breakout, with a Plasma Pong gravity gimmick, but I don't think I'll be playing it again anytime soon.
Also completed Half-Life Episode One. Again, way too late.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just finished Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2. I think that was probably the best paced and most enjoyable story I've played in a while. It was also pretty beautiful, and this is coming from someone that didn't much care for the first one in the graphics department. So much great use of colour and lighting.

After picking up Walking Dead today I've pretty much sworn off buying any more games for the foreseeable future, so just ploughing through backlog for the next few years I guess. I heard that the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem :smith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I have no self control. Total damage in this sale was $125 for Tiny & Big, Scribblenauts, Lego LOTR, LOTR War in the North, Arkham City, Sniper Elite complete pack, Dungeons Gold, Mutant Blobs Attack, Mirror's Edge, Dark Souls, Rayman Origins, Forge, Age of Booty, Transformers War For Cybertron, Sims Medieval :negative:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hob_Gadling posted:

Space Marine and Homefront are done. Only WH40k: Retribution, Juiced 2 and Saints Row 3 are left, and then I've beaten the THQ catalog. Saints Row 2 doesn't run on my computer for whatever reason, which is a shame.

I'm very much hoping THQ goes to someone worthwhile. Their games have been great fun. Too bad it had to end like this.

Quick derail, all their properties are now up for individual sale. They had interest from Warner Bros. and EA. I hope Sega/Creative Assembly scoops up Warhammer 40k (they do have Fantasy) because I really want to see 40k: Total War.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

al-azad posted:

I see you haven't even touched The Walking Dead. There's no greater :smith: game in existence.

I took your advice and started playing it. Completed the first two episodes and holy poo poo. :smith: doesn't begin to describe it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Huge post incoming! Games I've sent to the Outbox category recently:

The Adventures of Shuggy
I beat all 100 rooms and some were definitely more entertaining than others. The whole game is basically an indie platformer concept recycling bin, as each room has its own gimmick. Still, I like platformers so I got my money's worth (I got it free from IGN).

Air Conflicts: Secret Wars
Whao. This game's campaign is really, really good. The game itself is basically Rogue Squadron set in World War 2, with satisfying dogfights, unlockable planes (including a stealth bomber!), and flashbacks to WW1. The story and characters are excellent with a total grey area choice to make that decides your ending. Surprisingly poignant and sweet. Way out of left field and considering I got this for free (thanks, The Noodle Incident!) I got nine solid hours out of it. Multiplayer is dead though - Not too shocking.

Assassin's Creed
I got so frustrated from having stopped and started this game so many times that I binged through it in about twelve hours, give or take a couple hours when I took a nap. Super repetitive and annoying, but I hear 2 and Brotherhood are pretty great - excited for those.

Bad Rats
gently caress you king me, etc...

Breath of Death VII
Holy poo poo this was boring. Completely generic RPG Maker game with humor that's really hit or miss. It only took two hours, but it wore out its welcome long before then. I heard the developers other games are much better though, so I'll play those at some point.

HOARD
A surprisingly fun Smaug simulator. I played a dozen or so single player rounds, as well as a few multi player rounds with an e-friend, and called it done. The basic premise is good, but it just didn't have very long legs.

Max Payne
Wow, this game did NOT age well. The platforming sections are still truly awful, and the game basically consists of enter a room, bullet dodge, die if you get shot more than a few times, reload, repeat. I played with the Kung-Fu mod, having done a vanilla run of the game when it was released, and had access to all the cool flips, but the actual melee was beyond useless - it took about a dozen punches to kill anything. Oh, and the sound never quite worked consistently so all the comic book cut scenes and most of the in-game dialog was silent...

Portal 2
Every time the game started to wear out its welcome, it introduced new mechanics, new story, or a thrilling sequence and got me all excited again. Truly wonderful, hilarious writing. I loved JK Simmons as Cave Johnson in this game, and it actually had me sympathizing with GLaDOS. I thought the ending boss battle and beyond were amazing. Valve just went balls out on this release (as they usually do).

Rome: Total War + Alexander
This is the first TW game I really got into, so I'm glad I finally beat the campaigns. I didn't get too far into Alexander beyond messing around with some of the historical battles, but I got bored and installed the Middle-earth mod. I got a few more hours out of it before I felt satisfied. I probably paid $5 for this game and I definitely got some thrilling battles out of it.

Shank
A fun brawler with some janky mechanics and a great art style. It only took one marathon session of three hours, and I'm glad it was over, even though I enjoyed a majority of it.

Spec-Ops: The Line
I played this game in one, long session and it wore me out by the end. It's a shame the shooting was so mediocre because the story and the setting were fantastic. I'm glad word of mouth spread about the experience as a whole, because yes - it definitely looks and plays like a generic military shooter, but the pay off is sweet as hell. It had some good set pieces too, but honestly I thought Mass Effect 3 had better shooting.

Wizorb
I saw a lot of praise for this little Arkanoid clone, but I could only handle it for a few hours before it started to piss me off. It's not that I was bad at the game even, it just has some really annoying level design that isn't hard, but it wears you down because it just takes forever to clear a level. Glad I probably got this in a bundle or something and didn't pay much for it.

Zombie Driver HD
I'm not gonna lie, I thought the racing mode was a blast and totally made up for the lackluster campaign.

So yeah, I've been doing some loving WORK in the past several weeks, but considering I own over 400 Steam games, it's but a pittance. I really wish more people would play Air Conflicts: Secret Wars as I really ended up enjoying it, but I feel like a majority skipped over it thinking it was poo poo. I've decided that for every game on my list I end up not enjoying enough to complete, I'm only going to give them 2 hours. HOARD is one example, where I just couldn't see myself playing beyond that. Even if a game is poo poo, I will still give it a couple hours, just to get my money's worth. I'll probably be grey by the time I clear out just my inbox! After that I've got my Sandbox, my Catbox... I'm going to start Bioshock 2 soon, and I'm already into Mass Effect 1, Company of Heroes, Sine Mora, and The Walking Dead. Enjoying those, even though ME1 is a replay (WHY did I rebuy it on Steam?!).

I actually managed to acquire EIGHT more games during the winter sale, some of which came from Amazon, and while I feel bad about it, it's mostly games from this year that I missed and still really want to play, like Binary Domain, Darksiders 2, NBA2k13, and Max Payne 3. I'll get to them eventually. :downs:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The Machine posted:

I actually managed to acquire EIGHT more games during the winter sale, some of which came from Amazon, and while I feel bad about it, it's mostly games from this year that I missed and still really want to play, like Binary Domain, Darksiders 2, NBA2k13, and Max Payne 3. I'll get to them eventually. :downs:

Hah, I hear you buddy.

I have a long list coming up too. I've been plowing through my backlog this winter break. Beat Arkham City, Spec Ops, Metro, AW: American Nightmare, DE:HR Missing Link, Giana Sisters, Hitman: Absolution, Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs, and some Anno 2070 within the span of a month. I'll do a write up soon after I finish my next batch.

Since I have game ADHD, I'm also simultaneously working on Prototype 2, Walking Dead, Ys: Origin, Sonic Generations, LEGO: LOTR + Harry Potter 1 (with my girlfriend), Divinity 2, Binary Domain, and Deponia.

Then my list of games I want to start is just too much to list :(

So far the only game I've nulled is Sine Mora (didn't like it at all), and SiN Episodes (it hasn't aged well, both graphically and gameplay wise)

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 8, 2013

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

Now that I've gone over a thousand unfinished games I suppose I should get serious and actually start playing some of the stuff I've bought.

I played Gran Turismo 5: Prologue and didn't like it but I came within one race of the A Series of finishing it, I just couldn't do better than 4th on the Ferrari race and I wasn't having fun so I said gently caress it. The game was fine on a technical level, it looks and sounds well enough and the handling is fine if maybe a little over sensitive. But everything else feels like the same game I was playing on the PS1. The progression is still the same: you start out driving 60HP Japanese shoeboxes, then you drive some FF cars, then you drive the American Muscle Car Cup, etc. There's still no penalty for playing bumper cars, the AI is still non-existent, there's only a handful of tracks and you can't upgrade any of the cars. The races aren't really races either, they're a series of challenges where the AI has a 5-15 second headstart and you have 2-5 laps to catch them. That's it. There's no qualifying or any way to reduce the headstart the AI gets and it becomes very tedious very quickly. There are a couple time trial challenges as well but there are 15 other cars on the track for some reason so in addition to trying to set a specific lap time in a Corvette I'm also having to navigate through a minefield of Daihatsu's driving 50 MPH. Such a stupid, frustrating design decision.

What's worse is that I still have Gran Turismo 5 sitting in my "to be played" pile and while I'm sure the track selection and car upgrades will certainly be better, the issues with the AI, the bad menus, and the same repetitive grind will all still be there. Playing GT5:P it struck me as though no one at Polyphony had played another videogame since GT4 came out.

I still wanted to drive some cars though so I started Split/Second which seems way more in line with what I want from a racing game. It's dumb as hell but it's dumb in a way that I can really appreciate. I'm playing the PC version with everything maxed and it looks amazing, I just wish it changed the onscreen controls to reflect that I'm using a 360 gamepad and not a mouse and keyboard.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I was griping about having to slog through Serious Sam 3 but I got the impulse to check the co-op server list...and found some Non-US server that was literally at the exact point I last ragequit in that game. Thanks to 2 players who knew how to literally zoom through the remaining levels, I beat the rest of the game. I wish I would've taken a screenshot of the credits like I normally do--because I got neither co-op nor SP achievement for "beating the campaign"

But what-the-gently caress-ever, Serious Sam 3 is done. :toot:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Machine posted:

I really wish more people would play Air Conflicts: Secret Wars as I really ended up enjoying it, but I feel like a majority skipped over it thinking it was poo poo.
Because it is poo poo, at least compared to the vanilla Air Conflicts. Yes I want to watch a loving cutscene that doesn't pause the game while bombers are raiding my base/the convoy is escaping/enemy fighter ace prepares to nail my rear end :mad: And don't even get me started on the whole "crash landing" mission :argh:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Finished some more games.

Snapshot: Decent puzzle platformer. Could use a rewind feature, like many other puzzle platformers, or else mid-level checkpoints or something. The platforming controls are not precise enough and you end up dying a whole bunch of times and having to redo puzzles again and again gets frustrating. I didn't beat every single level cause the game doesn't require it in order to get to the end and it'd outstayed its welcome for me.

Closure: Another fun puzzle platformer. I liked it more than Snapshot but really it had a similar issue with a lack of rewind/checkpoints. I am getting a little tired of puzzle platformers, though.

Shank 2: More Shank, decent fun for the three hours it takes to beat. Presumably controls and gameplay were much improved from the first one but I guess I'm too poo poo at brawlers to notice cause it didn't seem that different to me.

Offspring Fling!: More puzzle platforming... but lots of fun actually.

Red Faction: Armageddon + DLC: After the first 1-2 hours I was ready to dismiss it as another mediocre action game and give it a pat on the back for trying, because it really does try. But strangely I started enjoying it more and more as I trudged along. The aliens are kind of annoying to fight, as spazzy enemies tend to be, and the weapons are not that fun to use despite the wide variety on offer, but the action was at times delightfully chaotic and destroying structures was fun. Overall a decent romp.

I didn't buy a single game during this recent sale as nothing I really wanted got discounted deep enough, so I'm making good progress. Looking over my backlog, there are maybe 7-8 games to go before I'm left with things I'm either not so interested in or straight up never going to play (the latter are multiplayer-only). I think next I'll finally start up Cave Story, then either Saint's Row 3 or Legend of Grimrock.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
Beat Sleeping Dogs. It had all the drama and difficulty of GTA4, kind of the same style as Saint's Row 3 (but only a fraction of the customization poo poo) and the humor of neither.

I couldn't adjust the refresh rate, even manually adjusting the display config file, so everything in the interface and menus had a slight fuzzy blur until 20 hours in I fixed this by playing in windowed mode. I got into windowed mode because I hit ctrl+alt+del a couple of times because while fighting waves of goons, smashing the shift key, F and mouse buttons would result in Windows thinking I wanted to use sticky keys or change profiles. Sometimes I would be poking out of cover aiming a gun (holding down shift) but when I pressed the left mouse button, nothing would happen. As soon as I let go of shift I could shoot again, and if I hit shift while I was already shooting I could trick the controls into cooperating again.

I can't believe there are multiple achievements for gaining silver rankings but nothing for collecting all the martial arts training statues. The ultimate counter move at the end was worth it, though. Got 45 out of 50 health shrines, more than half the lockboxes and a lot of cameras, only a few drug busts and face missions left. I've barely touched the street racing and fight clubs but the couple I did were pretty easy. I'm going to go for 100%.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hob_Gadling posted:

I hope I'm not too late, but don't play Juiced 2. It's one of the worst racing games I've ever played, and I've played some REALLY lovely shovelware racers.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
He's already played Homefront, he is well through the looking glass already.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

A long time ago I bought FEAR 1 + Expansions. I'm trudging through the base game now and I'm eager to play through FEAR 2 just to get to the third most recent game.

Should I bother at all with the expansions if I find FEAR1's gameplay to be mediocre and slightly boring?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Morter posted:

A long time ago I bought FEAR 1 + Expansions. I'm trudging through the base game now and I'm eager to play through FEAR 2 just to get to the third most recent game.

Should I bother at all with the expansions if I find FEAR1's gameplay to be mediocre and slightly boring?

No. The expansions are unofficial continuations made by a different studio which literally kill off everyone in the first thirty minutes. They're bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today, Windows told me my desktop PC has a hard disk problem. I'm running a full scan right now, and well, that gave me time to kill. I played some Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on my Wii U, then tapped my way onto the browser to, er, browse the forums. I stumbled upon this thread. I hesitated - surely I don't have it in me to beat games regularly. But then I read everyone's status updates, and well, that was enough.

I think I can do this. I'm still kind of overwhelmed by Backloggery, so here's my Steam page instead.

EDIT: Apparently the first game for me to tackle is Thief Gold.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 9, 2013

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I just spent a couple hours updating my Backloggery profile, and it turns out I've been very restrained in the 6 months since I last posted in this thread. Surprised the crap out of me. I only bought a small number of new games: Call of Duty Warchest (I/UO/II), L.A Noire, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, The Walking Dead and a load of DLC for Dungeon Defenders, Mass Effect III and Tropico IV.

BEATEN: Crayon Physics Deluxe. I played about 10-15 levels before I said "gently caress this" and uninstalled it forever. Marked as Beaten because I've played it as much as I ever want to. Just not my thing.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty I. I know this series gets a lot of poo poo, but I really enjoyed this game. I can see why the franchise grew so massive. CoD I is worth playing for the Russian campaign alone, especially the Stalingrad levels. Yes, I know the Stalingrad levels are a total rip-off of Enemy at the Gates.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty: United Offensive. I think the single-player in UO is better than the base game. The developers just went and created the most spectacular levels they could, and let the player worry about the difficulty of them. The stand-out campaign here is the British one; UO's Russian campaign just feels like a re-tread of CoD I's.

BEATEN: Knights of Honor. A mediæval strategy game with the best espionage system I've ever seen in a strategy game, it manages the rare trick of continuing to be fun even after you've conquered half of Europe and no-one else can realistically challenge you.

STARTED: The Walking Dead. I played through the first episode, but I had to stop. I think I'm too socially inept to play this game. Everything went horribly wrong, and I had a reverse Midas touch: everything I touched turned to poo poo. I can't shake the feeling that every single character in the game would have been better off if they had never met Lee Everett.

MASTERED: Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. I've only put a couple hours into the Steam version, but I played the CD version to death back in the day. I've seen everything the game has to offer. If you haven't played this, you really should.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright! I got F.E.A.R. off my backlog. Whew, I'm just blasting threw these shooters.

I'm considering jumping straight onto 2 while I'm in a "Tolerating mediocre shooters" state of mind.

Edit: vvv I played some FEAR 2 on the Xbox and while I'm not going to say it's better (I got fed up with it), I remember the gunplay being more satisfying than the tiny handed capgun play throughout 1. I'll manage.

Morter fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 9, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If you thought FEAR 1 was mediocre, then you're going to hate 2. Even FEAR 1 fans can barely stand it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EightDeer posted:

COMPLETED: Call of Duty I. I know this series gets a lot of poo poo, but I really enjoyed this game. I can see why the franchise grew so massive. CoD I is worth playing for the Russian campaign alone, especially the Stalingrad levels. Yes, I know the Stalingrad levels are a total rip-off of Enemy at the Gates.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty: United Offensive. I think the single-player in UO is better than the base game. The developers just went and created the most spectacular levels they could, and let the player worry about the difficulty of them. The stand-out campaign here is the British one; UO's Russian campaign just feels like a re-tread of CoD I's.

STARTED: The Walking Dead. I played through the first episode, but I had to stop. I think I'm too socially inept to play this game. Everything went horribly wrong, and I had a reverse Midas touch: everything I touched turned to poo poo. I can't shake the feeling that every single character in the game would have been better off if they had never met Lee Everett.

Call of Duty, United Offensive, and CoD 2 have the best single player campaigns. With Modern Warfare the single player took a backseat to multiplayer so there are fewer missions, more story-only sequences, lots of turret sections, and fewer non-linear attack/defend type levels. Remember that awesome defend-the-house missing at the end of UO? I think they have one of those in past games (MW2) and no more. World at War did have one of the coolest turret sequences in an FPS, though.

As for The Walking Dead, welcome to the franchise! The name of the game is "bad poo poo happens to good people" and "humans are worse than zombies."

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

al-azad posted:

As for The Walking Dead, welcome to the franchise! The name of the game is "bad poo poo happens to good people" and "humans are worse than zombies."

I followed your advice and came here to post that I beat the Walking Dead, but I just realized the game actually beat me. :smith: Holy poo poo.

I probably need to play The Secret of Magic Crystals or some sunshine and rainbows game after this.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Starting to put serious effort into clearing my Steam backlog. Started with beating Primordia. It's a pretty neat point and click, the only frustrating bits were not realizing that an item glowed as you moved it around the screen and then realizing that certain puzzles required you to remember character's last names. The story is pretty good too, and I'd like to see a sequel, but the devs have said that they probably won't do more, and if they did it would probably be in a different part of the universe.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

al-azad posted:

Call of Duty, United Offensive, and CoD 2 have the best single player campaigns. With Modern Warfare the single player took a backseat to multiplayer so there are fewer missions, more story-only sequences, lots of turret sections, and fewer non-linear attack/defend type levels. Remember that awesome defend-the-house missing at the end of UO? I think they have one of those in past games (MW2) and no more. World at War did have one of the coolest turret sequences in an FPS, though.
You mean the mission where you're in a ruined mansion / apartment block and Germans pour into the courtyard below? That one took me a few tries to get past; I kept getting killed while scrounging for ammo.

al-azad posted:

So, I should just bite the bullet and get used to stumbling blindly from disaster to disaster?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EightDeer posted:

You mean the mission where you're in a ruined mansion / apartment block and Germans pour into the courtyard below? That one took me a few tries to get past; I kept getting killed while scrounging for ammo.

So, I should just bite the bullet and get used to stumbling blindly from disaster to disaster?

I think it's the same one. They keep sending you to different sections of the house as the Germans assault your position.

And yes, The Walking Dead is one unfortunate event after the other. Nothing good happens to anyone, not even Lee, and whenever you catch a break something even worse happens. Keep playing it, it gets really good by Chapter 3. And by really good I mean soul crushingly depressing.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

al-azad posted:

And yes, The Walking Dead is one unfortunate event after the other. Nothing good happens to anyone, not even Lee, and whenever you catch a break something even worse happens. Keep playing it, it gets really good by Chapter 3. And by really good I mean soul crushingly depressing.
Also I think you'll "enjoy" it more if you know from the start that you can't game all the decisions that come up; that is, there is no right or wrong way to do things, just play it like you think Lee should act in each situation, then live with the consequences. Most games train you to reload and try again when you get an outcome you don't like, but this game is just a string of bad outcomes and the gameplay in most situations comes down to making the best of increasingly horrible situations. Also may I suggest that you stand by Kenny, he is the man and will be your bro for life! I loved The Walking Dead so much, I hope they can keep up the quality of writing for the next season.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

gently caress yeah, just beat F.E.A.R. 2

While I wouldn't give it anymore than a 7/10 at best, it was surprisingly a lot more enjoyable than FEAR 1 was, to me. The AI still executed some cute maneuvers (when they lasted long enough to do so), the gunplay was a lot more satisfying, and the scares/spookiness was a lot more involving. Even if it played out like a cheesy horror/action B-Film, I managed to beat it all in 2 days, barely starting it last night and spending almost all day today beating it. I have the Reborn campaign which I'll probably do tomorrow.

Then I'll get started on F3AR! :woop:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
^^^. I've only played FEAR1 when it first came out and I don't remember much, but I bought the trilogy when it was on sale so I have to go through FEAR 2 and FEAR 3. Looking forward to it.

Anyways this winter break has been very productive for me:

BEAT:
- Ys: Origin -- My first Ys game and it was great. At first I played it with K+M and didn't know you could change your configurations and ramp up the graphics/put it in window mode, so I didn't like it at all at first and put it away for about 10 days. I tried it again 2 days ago after seeing I can change options and I plugged in a 360 Controller and had a loving blast. Highly recommended Zelda-like sprite JRPG if you enjoy this type of game. I'm debating about starting Ys: Oath now or do something else, I don't want to get burned out on the series. PS. Get a controller.

- Alan Awake: American Nightmare -- I usually play DLC long after the original game, and here is no exception. I first played AW on the 360 and loved it but it got tedious at times. I bought AW + AN during Thanksgiving sale and couldnt bare myself to play through the AW campaign on the PC again so I gave AN a go and it was a lot of fun. It knew exactly when to stop without tiring you out and combat was a lot more fun in this than the base game for some reason.

- Deus Ex: Missing Link -- As above, I beat DE awhile ago so it was a nice change to come back to the game in this little side mission. Wasn't really ground breaking but was fun enough for the few hours it lasts.

- Max Payne 3 -- Max Payne 2 was one of my all time favorite games for awhile. I was skeptical when Rockstar first announced MP3 and being busy with life at the time so I didn't pick it up until the Thanksgiving sale for dirt cheap. Glad I did. Shooting was a lot of fun and stayed very true to the roots. In a lot of ways, this is the anti-Spec Ops because everyone is black and white evil and you're meant to feel loving good about shooting up hundreds of dudes. Story was satisfying enough, albeit some of the moppiness at the start was a wee bit old. Definitely a good successor to MP2 although I wish there was more TV :(

- Arkham City -- Sad that I didn't play this sooner since I loved AA when it came out. I'm surprised how much better combat is and there are a ton of improvements, but god drat the trophies and riddles in this were ridiculous and the plot was kind of dumb. Overall though, was very satisfying game even though I gave up trying to collect poo poo at around 100/440.

- Hitman: Absolution -- Picked it up for $20 on Amazon and glad I did. The game wasn't nearly as bad as everyone was saying it was; at least not for that price! Blood Money was the only other HM game I played and I already knew that was this going to be much more linear and stealth oriented so that probably helped in enjoying it. I will say though, I got tired of playing hide and seek with the police after the 6th time and towards the end I started playing this like Max Payne 3 where I shot every motherfucker in the room.

- Metro 2033 -- Ashamed I never played this before, but it does have some real awful flaws. Human vs Human combat is loving annoying with every human seemingly having wallhacks and always being alert to where you are at every instant moment. And then they'd take a shitload of bullets (I later learned about Ranger Hardcore mode :negative:) which pissed me off. Otherwise it was a great very immersive game with some seriously creepy moments. Glad I got it from the THQ bundle and I hope Last Light comes out.

- Giana Sisters -- Great game to chill back in your couch with a controller and play. It's very reminiscent of Donkey Kong Country 2 but hard as gently caress. The mood-switching mechanics work great but require some brain rewiring to get used to. Graphics are cute, music is great, level design is pretty solid for the most part. I will say though, the levels drag on far too long and some of the parts are just too loving hard for their own good. Otherwise definitely any DKC2-style platformer fan should pick it up when it goes on sale again.

- Prototype 2 -- I liked Prototype 1 well enough despite it's flaws. They've improved everything from the first one, but I was sad that some of the sidemissions were repetitive as gently caress still. Plot was also fairly dumb but that didn't matter when you're blowing up a ton of poo poo and consuming big dudes. Ran like a dream on my PC and only crashed once :toot: Was definitely worth the $5. Any fan of the first one should get this.

- Sleeping Dogs -- Absolutely gorgeous game. I loved just driving around in Hong Kong enjoying the scenary. Everyone should get the free High-Def Texture pack if they're going to play this and ramp up graphics as much as they can without getting bad performance. Combat is satisfying; albiet a bit easy and sometimes clunky. Driving worked for me but man, going in reverse in any tiny hallway was a loving bitch. I tried to run over drug-gangs but then the camera would just flip back and forth and piss me off. Otherwise, the plot was solid and there were some great Scarface-esque moments here. Highly recommended for the price it can usually be had.

---

WORKING ON:
- Deponia -- I might end up nulling this game. Graphics are nice and some of the writing is amusing, but something is just rubbing me the wrong way and some of the 'puzzles' are a bit obtuse. I admit, I'm not that far into it so I'll give it another hour or so of playing before I write it off.

- LEGO: LOTR -- Been playing this on local co-op with my girlfriend. A very casual game with some fun re-enactments from the movies. It's a lot more combat oriented than HP (which is the only other LEGO game we've played) which isn't a bad thing. Definitely recommended for something to play with your friends or significant other.

- Binary Domain -- I admit, I'm not that far either but I haven't been blown away. Controls are really weird and aiming doesn't feel right. I've it with a controller and it hasn't helped much. The mic thing is kind of dumb too. I get a weird headache after I finished playing a session of this which may have just been coincidence. Going to give it some more time before I write it off too.

- Divinity 2 -- I started this before I got hooked on Ys: Origins so I'm pretty far I think, but I'm also getting a bit tired of the game. I'm playing a dual-wielding character and at the part where I just assembled a zepplin and find myself getting owned in some of the demonic platform areas but there isn't anywhere to really level. Combat is extremely janky (Gamebryo :mad:) but dialog, plot and characters were intriguing enough for me to forgive that. Going to just plow through it at this point and maybe loadup on some exp through developer mode.

- Walking Dead -- Currently on episode 2 and I like it a lot. Definitely not something to binge on though so I'm taking my sweet time in between other games.

---

GAVE UP:
- Sine Mora -- Even though I paid about $3 for it, I didn't like it at all. I'm in the minority here, but I didn't get into the furriness of it and the plot really made no sense at all. I heard it came together later on but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Level design was fairly atrocious with random instant-deaths and I didn't like the mechanic of losing time+weapons if you got hit. But it is a good looking SHMUP and some of the boss fights are really cool. I'd recommend the demo first which is something I should have tried before jumping the gun here.

- SiN Episodes -- This game has not aged well at all. The early Source combat is pretty bad and the graphics are painful. I wanted to like it for the story and I probably would have liked it 6 years ago, but I can't get past the gameplay now.

- LA Noire -- I wanted to like this too, especially at the $5 price. LA Confidential is favorite of mine so I figured this would be up my alley but something didn't click with me here and I just felt like I was wasting time. Setting is cool and there are some moments early on that were intriguing, but I didn't see this really going anywhere and wasn't hooked. I may give it another go once my backlog is cleared out.

- Scribblenauts Unlimited -- This is the only Scribblenauts I played, but I heard good goon reviews about it and given that it was only $7.50 on Amazon I figured I'd try it. Ugh, I didn't like it at all. One of the few purchases I actually regret. There was almost no room to be creative and the most obvious dumb answers where the only things that worked. UI was a bit clunky too. I can see this being a great game to play with your kids but I would not recommend it all for anyone over the age of 11 who is playing this on their own.

---

Still to do: Drakensang, Minerva's Den, Krater, The Last Remnant, FEAR2+3, LEGO Batman 2, Longest Journey, LOTR: War in the North, Miasmata, Orcs Must Die 2, STALKER, Trine 1+2, Dead Rising 2, Dear esther, DMC 4, Vampire Bloodlines: Masquerade, Sonic Generations, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Ep 1+2, Zeno Clash, Waking Mars, and a bunch of lovely(?) indie games I've picked up from bundles that I'll never play. I may actually get around to finishing a good portion of my backlog at this rate.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 10, 2013

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

When the hell was Prototype 2 5 bucks?! I only saw it for like 15 or 20 :(

Edit: vvv Oh okay, thanks. It's a good thing I missed it anyway, I've been having a bad habit of rebuying games I already beat on the console

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 10, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Morter posted:

When the hell was Prototype 2 5 bucks?! I only saw it for like 15 or 20 :(

Amazon on November. $10 for both Prototypes in a bundle, half of that is $5.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Blackwell Deception - I picked this up in a Humble Bundle at some stage and decided to give it a go after playing through To the Moon. An intriguing Point and Click game which revolves around helping lost souls pass onto the afterlife. Unfortunately, I ended up having to use a walkthrough at some stages, only to realise I was spelling names wrong in the Oogle Websearch system the game implements. Overall a good game with some average voice-acting, might pick up the entire series, if it ever drops down in price.

BEATEN |EDIT|: Samorost 2 - Another Humble Bundle stray, short and sweet, much like Machinarium and Botanicula. Lovely artwork with basic point and click mechanics, this game begs you to click everything just to see what happens. But seriously, screw filling balloons over and over.

BEATEN |EDIT|: Q.U.B.E - Must have forgot to mention this one in my last major playthrough during the holidays. Q.U.B.E is a first person puzzler in the style of Portal, just without the comedy or any real peril. You use your gloves to manipulate coloured blocks to solve puzzles. That's pretty much it, no major plot, no music, just some fun puzzles.

Currently playing Closure, though its creepy atmospheric sounds are starting to scare me a little, The Basement Collection, though its a little rough around the edges since all these games are essentially prototypes and Borderlands 1, as I feel like I need to complete it before I can move onto Borderland 2.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 10, 2013

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh so I'm not alone in being a junkie.

I was casually browsing the forums shortly after Christmas Day when I stumbled on the Steam Sale thread. I already had Steam account from buying a couple of hard-copy games (Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim), and in November bought my first download only game, Hitman Absolution because Blood Money is still my all time favorite game. I ended up using some Christmas Amazon Giftcards on two $9.99 packs for BioShock 1, 2, and SpecOps, and Borderlands, Duke Nukem, Darkness II. Bought the 2 Batman games off Steam as well.

Putting my Steam Games total up to 11.

I now have ~50 Steam games.

What the hell happened?

the good news is it didn't cost me much. Most games were $5 or less as part of a pack.

I forgot to check the last day's sales, but ended up logging in on the 6th and seeing the second chance sales, and seeing the THQ pack for $25 I had missed, which was my final purchase since I seriously considered but passed on Saints Row III for $10 or so earlier, but now could get it and a dozen other games for $25.

I fully completed Arkham Asylum and found everything (I had to google help for one of the riddler trophies and the last teeth in one building). Now I'm putting off Arkham City because I know I'll enjoy it the most.

Just started Darksiders because I remember it being kind of compared to Zelda? Pretty over-the-top and dark so far, I hope the gameplay proves really enjoyable since it's kind of a dark story for my taste.

Only game I've tried that I did not care for so far is Borderlands. I'm weird like that, I end up completely hating half of the "Game of the Year"s that come out these days. Didn't like Assassin's Creed way back when it came out either, haven't bothered with the series since.

Most of the games I got are ones I know I'll enjoy or even ones I already had on consoles or in the distant past. Bioshock 1 2, 3 TombRaider games including the remake, The KOTR games, the original Doom Games, the Batman Games, the portal games, Halflife 2, etc.

The totally new-to-me games I'm looking forward to trying are the darksiders games, WarHammer, SpecOps, Company of Heroes, Mass Effect 1&2, and Witcher 1 and 2.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat Spec Ops. The gameplay wasn't as bad as I feared, the story wasn't as good as I hoped. Sound design is about the best I've yet to hear in a video game. The whole thing sort of falls apart for me in the railroading aspect: you don't have a real choice. As a result, you don't care about the main character as much as you would need to make the whole thing work. Nice attempt though. Great environment design, the place was really beautiful all told.

For reference I'd like to give this thread a small game that does the choice and resulting consequences very, very well: The Warblers Nest. Takes about 20 minutes to see everything. Don't be afraid to use a walkthrough once you've seen one ending to find out the others.

http://jmac.org/warbler/play.html

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chris Christie posted:

Only game I've tried that I did not care for so far is Borderlands. I'm weird like that, I end up completely hating half of the "Game of the Year"s that come out these days. Didn't like Assassin's Creed way back when it came out either, haven't bothered with the series since.

Most of the games I got are ones I know I'll enjoy or even ones I already had on consoles or in the distant past. Bioshock 1 2, 3 TombRaider games including the remake, The KOTR games, the original Doom Games, the Batman Games, the portal games, Halflife 2, etc.

The totally new-to-me games I'm looking forward to trying are the darksiders games, WarHammer, SpecOps, Company of Heroes, Mass Effect 1&2, and Witcher 1 and 2.

To be fair, Borderlands 1 is really not a good game but Borderlands 2 is fantastic, especially with a friend. I'd suggest giving Borderlands 2 a try even if you didn't like the first one. Same deal with Assasins Creed. Assasin's Creed 1 was heavily flawed and not a good game, but they took almost everything that was wrong with it and fixed it in Assasin's Creed 2 so I'd also recommend picking it up for $5 next time it's on sale.

And you're in for a treat with Witcher 2. It's really fantastic.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp I beat Deadlight and I'm pretty disappointed. It's only about three hours long but honestly that ended up being a good thing considering how kind of sloppy all of the mechanics are. Yeah it looks nice in screenshots but the graphics got real old real fast and the lack of depth really sucks when you have enemies moving in and out of your plane and easily getting behind you with the awful combat. The story was lousy and the voice acting for a lot of character felt like it was written and performed by people who didn't speak English very well. I'm not saying "down with foreign games" or anything but when you have the lead character doing a weird, gruff Humphrey Bogart impersonation and everyone else sounding like they walked in off the street it's kinda jarring.

I dunno, I just thought this was going to be special but it just ended up being a mediocre zombie Prince of Persia with no reason to revisit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, here has been my past month:

(PS3) Saints Row DLC: I bought pack #2 and #3 because #1 was supposedly not so good. The second one was alright enough, but I only really got that Saints Row feel out of the ending of the third one. At least I got some cool vehicles and stuff out of them.

(PS3) Final Fantasy XIII-2 Sazh and Lightning DLC: Instant 'no' to both. Sazh's minigames don't interest me because I hate most Final Fantasy minigames and I have no interest in virtual gambling when I see real gambling every day. Lightning's DLC was essentially 13-2 Hard Mode. gently caress both of these.

(Wii) Epic Mickey: Got to Adventureland, when I couldn't figure out how to progress, the last few steps of progression were bizarrely obscure when movement in this game had been so linear before, and standing around on the docks was causing my Wii's DVD drive to whir itself to a slow painful death as it kept loading the changing tides. I am a HUGE Disney nerd, like a walking encyclopedia who could spend a week browsing the company vault, and I got sick of this game. If I have no hope to finish it, what have you?

(PS3) LittleBigPlanet 2: Bought it as a bundle with a PS Move. Beat the main campaign and the Move DLC. I have had better experiences with Move's launch titles than the Move pack, but they tried. I have a soft spot for LBP, so I had a fun time and now have a webcam to show for it.

(PC) Assassins Creed Brotherhood: Bought this for very cheap because people felt it was a pre-requisite for AC3. Fate stepped in and AC3 was widely considered the most disappointing launch of the year. Therefore, I don't need to play it now. Did not touch. I'll watch it on YouTube someday.

(PC) Bastion: Kid completed the game after six hours. Whether it was because he felt rushed to get to the next games, or he was having a blast, nobody ever knew.

(PS3) Battlefield 3: Played through this even though I bought it because I thought about Halo and I missed goofy rear end vehicle shooter nonsense on my consoles. Should have just gone straight to multiplayer, as I spent a bunch of hours doing the same scenario repeatedly until I didn't die just to get a pitiful few trophies.

(PC) Natural Selection 2: Bought in the Christmas sale. I wasted many, many hours on NS for Half-Life, and it's spiritual predecessor Gloom for Quake II. I will probably spend too much more on this. Excellent.

(PC) Deus Ex: Human Revolution: I was playing this game seriously until I reached a point where I was save-stuck in a near insta death as a whole police department wanted me dead. I wound up just breaking everything and slowly killing every officer in a three or four level police department. I realized that if I was going to cheat, googling passwords and access codes to the lockers hanging around was the way to do it, and had some fun with space age weaponry. I probably would have loved this game if I hadn't gotten caught in a near instant death loop and then goofed around until the thrill was gone.

I upgraded my six year old PC at this point, so all PC saves above are gone.

Currently Playing:
(PC) Driver San Francisco: The hardest I've laughed at in-game insanity since Saints Row. The dune buggy race makes me want to throw in the towel, but I'll have a ways to go because I enjoy the carnage in this game way too much. If you ever remember how hard you laughed when you first saw the crash mode in Burnout, this game is like that but with a dumb premise and a script that is aware of the dumb premise and intends to have goofy assed fun with it.

(DS) Kirby Mass Attack: I love 2D Kirby games. Always did, still do.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 11, 2013

HolyCarp
Jan 21, 2004
Glub.
It is good to know that I am not alone in my addiction to buying game.

Last March I got back into PC gaming after being a console exclusive gamer for the last 5 years. I figured I could keep my buying of games under control for a while as I still had some console games to play and the Steam sales were only a couple of times a year. How wrong I was. I had a steam account back when Half Life 2 came out so I still had some old games from then. When I got my new computer I had to start building up my collection so I picked up games here and there, but kept it under control. Then I discovered the Humble Bundles and started buying those. I also found out about Amazon sales and started buying games from there. So after 3 Steam sales and several indie bundles and Amazon sales, I have 152 Steam games. I realized I had a problem. It also didn't help I got side tracked by F2P MMOs and other F2P games.

In the last couple of months I have been buckling down to try and clear out the back log. Here are some of my most recent completed games.

COMPLETED: Half Life 2: Episode 1 - It seems so strange to not have played this when it first came out. I am glad I got to finish this game. I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed Half Life 2.

BEAT: LA Noire - I enjoyed this game but more for the investigations and the interagations. the shooting was serviceable, but it got annoying how the father you got into the game the more it relied on shooting.

BEAT: Max Payne 3 - I enjoyed the shooting in this game like I enjoyed the shooting in the first two game. But the story wasn't as good as the first two games which took away from my enjoyment a bit. I think it is a solid title and if you played the first two games, you should play this one. But in the story department, it doesn't hold up to the first two.

COMPLETED: To The Moon - This was one of those games that I had seen in a lot of top 10 lists in games from 2011 and it had got me interested in it. It's been stated before, but the beginning is really slow and the writing at times is pretty bad. But if you can get past that, it has an amazing story.

COMPLETED: The Walking Dead - This is game of the year for me. I enjoyed every minute of playing each episode and it is one of the few games that has made me actually cry at the end of it. I recommend everyone pick this game up and play through it.

Now it is time to continue on with more games. I am currently planning to play Half Life 2: Episode 2, Wargames: European Escalation, and The Witcher. We will see if I actually get The Witcher done as it has been stated before, the combat system is pretty lacking in that game. I also have FTL installed, but I may null that as I don't think I will ever beat that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Killing Floor (Steam): 20 hours now. My highest levels are Medic and Sharpshooter on 3. Nowhere near my original goal of getting to max level and beating Hell on Earth, but I'll mark it off my list anyway since I had my fill. I will probably keep playing it now an then. As for the game, I don't understand why they went with this leveling mechanic. It would have been more fun if everybody were as strong as Level 6 and the game only used the harder difficulties. That way you wouldn't have to grind your way through the boring tardfests on Beginner and Normal. The few matches I had on Hard were generally fun and challenging and people cooperated well there, but unfortunately I was rather useless with my low level perks. I don't understand why they make you go through the easier levels. It feels like the game really starts on Hard.

Anarchy Reigns (Xbox 360): Didn't originally plan this, so I got a little side-tracked here. Anyway, I just beat the Dark Side campaign and that's all I need for now. It's okay. Campaign was mostly fun though sometimes frustrating. See, this game with it's control scheme, it isn't Arkham Asylum, but sometimes it likes to pretend it is. Targeting, evading, that stuff generally works, but not too great and the controls feel sluggish and sometimes unreliable (at least to me). I think it functions well in fights against other characters from the roster (boss battles, ect.) but low-level zergs or mixed groups are harder, especially when the game throws in some environmental hazards. Happened more than once to me that my character would suddenly decide to dodge/attack into the wrong direction and eat an instakill. As for the multiplayer, I don't have XBox Live Gold right now, but I assume there's an equal potential for fun and frustration.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Demon's Souls (PS3)
The Secret World (PC)
English Country Tune (Steam)