Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

krushgroove posted:

Any suggestions on how to do unit promotions in a fun campaign? So far the best we've come up with is:
  • if a unit is over 50% strength at the end of battle
  • and the leader is still alive
  • then on a 3+ roll their Leadership goes up by 1 (max of 10 as usual)

Does that sound too easy/overpowered? Basically this gives us an excuse to name our captains and champions, etc., and try to keep certain units out of trouble or use them more efficiently. I'm not sure how we'd do this with vehicles and MCs, this is just a possible starting point.

Posted this a few pages back, just wondering if there were any ideas about how to do unit promotions for a fun campaign setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The +ld looks good, maybe make it on a 3-5, with a 6 being a random USR?

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

ghetto wormhole posted:

There's a big chart in the rulebook now that says who can ally with who and how friendly they are with each other. If you take allies you must take 1 HQ choice and 1 Troop choice and you have the option of also taking 1 Fast Attack and 1 Heavy Support. Tau are buddies with Eldar and Space Marines and are ok with everyone else but Dark Eldar, Daemons, Sisters of Battle, who probably aren't worth allying with because of restrictions placed on that level of allies. Tyranids can't ally with them (or anyone else for that matter) at all.

You actually get the option of 1 FA, 1 HS, 1 elite and 1 extra troop. If you really want to end up with an almost 50/50 split army.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I don't think anyone has brought it up in this thread yet, but Forgeworld has made available for pre-order the quite possibly ugliest tank ever:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/CERBERUS_HEAVY_TANK_DESTROYER.html

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Moonwolf posted:

You actually get the option of 1 FA, 1 HS, 1 elite and 1 extra troop. If you really want to end up with an almost 50/50 split army.

Whoops totally forgot about elites! To be fair I do play IG and Necrons :v:

Also I didn't know about the second troops choice because I don't actually use allies!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Groetgaffel posted:

I don't think anyone has brought it up in this thread yet, but Forgeworld has made available for pre-order the quite possibly ugliest tank ever:
Eh, I don't hate it or anything.

Speaking of Forgeworld, has anyone bought or assembled a Thunderbolt? I'm thinking of getting one for my Valhallans.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Groetgaffel posted:

The kicker is that it suuuucks. 395 points for a 14/14/13 2SP tank with a 72" S10 AP1 Ordnance D3 gun with some special rules. Almost 400 points for a glorified Predator Annihilator. No thanks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

The kicker is that it suuuucks. 395 points for a 14/14/13 2SP tank with a 72" S10 AP1 Ordnance D3 gun with some special rules. Almost 400 points for a glorified Predator Annihilator. No thanks.

Speaking of which, is there any reason to bring a Leman Russ Annihilator? 150 points for a normal Russ with a TL Lascannon for a main gun. Seems like Vendettas being so undercosted kind of makes a lot of other AT units awful for IG.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I honestly don't see the point in taking any super heavy vehicle without a strength D weapon.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ghetto wormhole posted:

Speaking of which, is there any reason to bring a Leman Russ Annihilator? 150 points for a normal Russ with a TL Lascannon for a main gun. Seems like Vendettas being so undercosted kind of makes a lot of other AT units awful for IG.

The second edition of Imperial Armour Vol. 1 (Imperial Guard) just came out, is it 150 points in that book? I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I really want to. Anyway that seems a bit expensive when for 15 more points one could bring a Demolisher instead. I really love Demolishers. I know they're basically Vindicators but it just feels good to blow things up with a Demolisher.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 9, 2013

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

The second edition of Imperial Armour Vol. 1 (Imperial Guard) just came out, is it 150 points in that book? I haven't had a chance to read it yet but I really want to. Anyway that seems a bit expensive when for 15 more points one could bring a Demolisher instead. I really love Demolishers. I know they're basically Vindicators but it just feels good to blow things up with a Demolisher.

Yeah, it's a great book for IG players. You can get Thunderer siege tanks which are basically turretless Demolishers with no secondary weapons for 140 points. And SAM Manticores. Anything you're interested in hearing about from the book?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

ghetto wormhole posted:

Yeah, it's a great book for IG players. You can get Thunderer siege tanks which are basically turretless Demolishers with no secondary weapons for 140 points. And SAM Manticores. Anything you're interested in hearing about from the book?

I heard they rebalanced a lot of units (like the Hades Breaching Drill :rolleyes:) so I have a few questions. Do Hydra Flak Tanks have Interceptor? (I doubt they do but it's worth checking.) Also, Hydra Platform, Tarantula Sentry Gun, Sabre Gun Platform - I assume that they are basically the same as they used to be? Sabre Gun Platforms are pretty amazing in IA: Aeronautica and I'd guess that the units present in that book have not changed very much. It only came out recently.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Hydra Flak Tanks are in the regular IG Codex. Is there a second entry for them in IA?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

I heard they rebalanced a lot of units (like the Hades Breaching Drill :rolleyes:) so I have a few questions. Do Hydra Flak Tanks have Interceptor? (I doubt they do but it's worth checking.) Also, Hydra Platform, Tarantula Sentry Gun, Sabre Gun Platform - I assume that they are basically the same as they used to be? Sabre Gun Platforms are pretty amazing in IA: Aeronautica and I'd guess that the units present in that book have not changed very much. It only came out recently.

Hydras don't have Interceptor and are completely the same, although I heard they do in Aeronatica? The Hydra platform is 50 points with 10/10/10 armor and 2hp, can take 1-3 per unit choice and can get camo netting for 20 points per model, heavy support.

Tarantulas are also a 1-3 per unit heavy support choice, BS3 T6 W2 3+ armor, artillery but they can't move and have no crew, 15 points for a TL Heavy Bolter and 10 more points to upgrade to a TL Lascannon, they can either be put in a set 90 degree firing arc and engage enemy units 36" away or a 360 degree arc with only 18" range, can't be changed during the game though. Camo nets for 10 points each. Lascannons prioritize vehicles and MCs, HBs prioritize non vehicle units.

Sabres are probably the same as IA:A, regular artillery but immobile once the game starts, has scouts, skyfire, interceptor. 30 points for a HB or searchlight, +10 points for a TL autocannon or two(2) TL heavy stubbers, +20 points for a TL lascannon. Can be taken instead of a Heavy Weapons squad in a platoon.

Regular codex units are all the same except chimeras can get an autocannon in the turret for +10 or a TL HB for +15, both Sentinel variants can get multiple rocket pods(the valkyrie weapon) for +10, and Manticores get the option of either S9 AP2 skyfire ordnance 1 missiles that are TL against flyers/fast skimmers or S9 AP2 Ordnance 1 7" blast rockets with a 36" minimum range(they are NOT barrage) both for 145 points, they can also take the codex rockets for 160 obviously.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

AgentF posted:

Hydra Flak Tanks are in the regular IG Codex. Is there a second entry for them in IA?

It has a bunch of Codex units in it, namely the tanks and artillery (and Sentinels.)

ghetto wormhole posted:

Hydras don't have Interceptor and are completely the same, although I heard they do in Aeronatica? The Hydra platform is 50 points with 10/10/10 armor and 2hp, can take 1-3 per unit choice and can get camo netting for 20 points per model, heavy support.

The platform has Interceptor in Aeronautica, I don't think regular Hydras are even in the book. Oh well. If they had Skyfire and Interceptor I'd expect to pay at least 110 points for them. Probably more. Autocannon Sabre Gun Platforms for 40 points are a steal, though. Thanks for the info :)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

What's the Macharius tanks like?

PeterWeller posted:

I honestly don't see the point in taking any super heavy vehicle without a strength D weapon.
I would forgive the lack of a strength D weapon if the vehicle in question is ready to unleash eleven barrels of hell. :3:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Groetgaffel posted:

What's the Macharius tanks like?

They're super heavies if you didn't know.
BS3 14/13/12 SP2
Big battle cannon version 325
Big vanquisher version 375 (can also choose to shoot large blasts)
Big punisher version 405 (can fire twice if stationary)
Big executioner version 355 (can fire either a focused big blast or multiple smaller ones)

The first three have hull and sponson mounted heavy stubbers stock. No secondaries stock on the plasma one but it can buy sponsons.

They seem decent but I've never played Apocalypse.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

ghetto wormhole posted:

They're super heavies if you didn't know.
BS3 14/13/12 SP2
Big battle cannon version 325
Big vanquisher version 375 (can also choose to shoot large blasts)
Big punisher version 405 (can fire twice if stationary)
Big executioner version 355 (can fire either a focused big blast or multiple smaller ones)

The first three have hull and sponson mounted heavy stubbers stock. No secondaries stock on the plasma one but it can buy sponsons.

They seem decent but I've never played Apocalypse.
Alright, thanks for the info. :)
I just like the look of them to be honest. Probably because the vanquisher variant reminds me of the Overlord from C&C Generals.

KamNZ
May 4, 2009

At least I'm warm...
Any sites out there doing watchable battle reports?

Most of the ones I've seen so far have been pretty painful...

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Gonna drop this here

http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Some pretty cool stuff.
Some of the jetbikes look a lot like Terran Vultures, which I like.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004

plester1 posted:

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."

gently caress it, count me in. I've got a bunch of half assembled armies and I need a reason to waste my precious time and money.

Ok, those that want in send me an email at adrian@waogo.com and we'll set this up! Looks like there's a few people coming back to the game or just starting so we can take it slow and build from a small point army.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Just bought dark vengeance (dear amazon prime, why do you make it so easy for me to buy things?). I only want rulebook / dark angels, anyone interested in the chaos? I'm looking for $20-30 + shipping for all of it.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

Some people have Codex: Dark Angels in hand and rules are trickling out.

Ravenwing Black Knights' Corvus hammers are S+1, AP-, Rending
their plasma talons are 18" plasmaguns? not twin-linked
Inner Circle swing at AP2 vs. CSM in cc
Belial can switch to th/ss as now, makes DW troops
Sammael makes RW troops
Azrael makes both DW and RW troops
Ezekiel has a shot that does D3 S4 AP2 hits that inflict -3 WS and BS to the wounded target if it survives

The flyers sound terrible:
rift cannon is S5 AP- blast, Blind
unrelenting hunter lets you swap a weapon destroyed result to immobilized
the megabolter is S6 AP4 Heavy 5
the missiles are S6 AP4

How is that an air superiority fighter? I sure hope there is some missing info that puts them into perspective, or these guys are just trolling or something :(

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Is it supposed to be an air superiority fighter? Looks like some sort of anti-infantry fighter.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

The Nephilim Jetfighter is supposed to be, it has a twin-linked lascannon that you can swap for the mega bolter, and 6 of those lovely missiles and a tl hb. The Dark Talon is the one with the rift cannon and stasis bomb, and 2 hurricane bolters.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AgentF posted:

Is it supposed to be an air superiority fighter? Looks like some sort of anti-infantry fighter.

Well, the thing will put out enough shots with the mega-bolter and 6 missiles (three missiles a turn) to handle AV10-11 vehicles. Get a stormraven in the sky and it will have problems... We will have to see how cheap it is, since it only puts out a modest amount of shooting.
The Dark Talon looks kind of crap too. Oh no, a single AP- mid strength blast! I assume small blast? Small blasts don't really work unless A) you can spam them or B) they are at least S8 or AP3.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
To be honest I'm surprised so many flyers are AV12. I figured their strength would be in being hard to hit in the first place, and that they'd pretty much all be AV10-11.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

With pink foam, what's the best way to make trenches? I got some cash coming my way and want to make a nice beach landing into lines of bunkers and trenches sorta thing. Endless waves of stronger and stronger 'Nids until the defender is dead or I tire of making piles of biomass to be eventually consumed.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Gotta love it when you have just enough spare bits spread around to build the entire box instead of leaving half the weapons unused.

Side note, the spare pilot heads from the bomma kit are all sorts of fun to throw at things.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Booley posted:

Just bought dark vengeance (dear amazon prime, why do you make it so easy for me to buy things?). I only want rulebook / dark angels, anyone interested in the chaos? I'm looking for $20-30 + shipping for all of it.

I'm interested. jcontention At gamil dot com or PM here. Tried to PM you but was not on or not available.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I have a bunch of ork boys (two groups of 30 sluggas, 20 shootas), some deffkoptas, the AoBR boss, a leman russ (looted wagon) and a rhino I could convert into another wagon or a truck. I haven't played in a while, is there much else I'll need for a starter sized army?

edit: and if I took a chaos lord I could have marines in my army too?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 9, 2013

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I use them all the time for track bits for my CSM. The quality is pretty decent, but you have to do lots and lots of cleanup. They have tiny little resin flakes on almost everything.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

SRM posted:

Speaking of Forgeworld, has anyone bought or assembled a Thunderbolt? I'm thinking of getting one for my Valhallans.

I have one assembled. Not a bad kit at all, the only thing missing is a flying stand connector (which it may well come with now). The wing flaps had shrunk so I needed replacements for those, but otherwise the kit was pretty much perfect.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

lenoon posted:

The +ld looks good, maybe make it on a 3-5, with a 6 being a random USR?

Cool - but what's a USR?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Universal Special Rule, like Preferred Enemy, Infiltrate, Furious Charge, or Tank Hunter. Anything in that section of the book.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah let people give their tac squads Smash. That would be awesome!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Long time reader of this thread, have posted maybe twice here. I've played Guard forever and I'm just now starting a Marine army and I want to do a drop pod army. The problem is that, having played Guard for so long, I really don't know how a drop pod army would work. As a Guard player I could just divide things into choppy, shooty or both and not worry about the specifics but as a Marine player that sort of thing seems to matter a lot more. For an 1850 list I'm thinking something like this:

quote:

Epistolary with Force Sword

I'm debating whether to give him Avenger and Gate of Infinity or to give him Biomancy powers. He'll ride in the drop pod with the Sternguard and either teleport them around with Gate or use whatever fancy Biomancy power he gets (hoping for Enfeeble).

Elites

10x Sternguard with 5x combi-plasma and drop pod

Their purpose is to drop down by the biggest, meanest non-vehicle unit and wreck it with 10 plasma shots and whatever special ammo would be the most appropriate. It's possible that they'll need to wait for something else to crack open a transport for them to get the squishy bits.

2x Ironclad Dreadnought with meltagun, heavy flamer, seismic hammer, assault launchers, 2x hunter killers and drop pod

Their job is to drop down, either heavy flame or meltagun/hunter killer things to death and then assault targets of opportunity. I give them assault launchers with the hopes of dropping them into cover or at least moving them there so they can use their defensive grenades to give them Stealth against meltaguns.

Troops

10x Tactical Marines with meltagun, combi-melta, multi-melta and drop pod

Their job is to melta whatever didn't get properly melta'd in the first wave and then bolter things to death.

2x 10x Tactical Marines with flamer, combi-flamer, heavy bolter and drop pod

These squads give me some anti-horde capability along with their bolters. They should kill even a few Marines and by concentrating my dropped forces on the units I need to die I hope they should knock something out and then run around boltering things.

Fast Attack

2x Storm Talon with Typhoon Missiles

Their job is to shoot down enemy aircraft and targets of opportunity. I like the Typhoon launcher because it's fairly decent against all targets and should do pretty well against the Ork and Guard flyers that my metagame has as well as being able to pop a Rhino or two when needed.

The problem is that I really don't get how Tactical squads work and that this list just seems to me to not be killy enough on the first turn drop. I'm pretty clueless about Marines so I'd appreciate any help you guys can give.

Here are my two test Marines, I'm painting them as Blood Ravens, mostly because the guys in my club hate the Dawn of War games and I'm enjoying the process. These are Dark Vengeance Marines that I've shaved the Dark Angels iconography off of, because 3 weeks ago I could get 20 Marines for 20€ so I jumped on that while I could, until the Dark Angels book got close and the price tightened up. I haven't decided how I want to base them yet, so that's why they're not based.

This is about how dark they look under actual light.

I don't know why they look so orange here.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
It looks like you're using two different white balance settings on your camera - you can try to match the colors using the same type of lighting the club uses (presumably normal warm white fluorescent) so the reds look the same on your desk as they would at the club.

Fix posted:

Universal Special Rule, like Preferred Enemy, Infiltrate, Furious Charge, or Tank Hunter. Anything in that section of the book.

Ah OK cool - I'm sure we can come up with a chart of 6 or more that would be suitable for most units. I'm not sure if we'll try to promote vehicles or MCs, not sure that would make much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Phyresis posted:

Inner Circle swing at AP2 vs. CSM in cc

This sounds crazy. Fighting Chaos? gently caress buying power weapons. :getin:

Hoping for more Dark Angels information. Any good sources for these sort of rules leaks?

• Locked thread