Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Oxxidation posted:

No lie, this is the first time I've seriously considered giving up on Homestuck.

This is just one layer of winking, meta, mood-whiplash anticlimax bullshit too far for me to simply power through. Not to mention it bloats Act 6 even further and does anyone at all really want that besides the completely deranged?

I am both horrified and fascinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Scale Model Giant posted:

Ok, that clinches it for me. This is the work of the Horrorterrors. This IS Jane's grimdark.
She went so grimdark she wrapped around to the other side, which is trickster mode.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

No joke, the Mindfang Diaries almost murdered my enthusiasm when I was first reading through the archives. I just stared at those walls of text, my eyes glazed over while reading them, and my brain just went "I DON'T GIVE A FLYING gently caress aaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Admittedly I am getting a little annoyed about how Act 6 keeps having these little glimpses of interesting things maybe occurring, but then whips right back to the tedious crap. Surely there must be some way to establish the fact that Jake is thicker than an acre of pigshit while simultaneously moving the plot. At least when Dirk's omnipresent neediness was getting fleshed out, it was done in a way that advanced things and didn't involve multiple back and forths about the matter.

e. of course this raises the question of why the introspective conversation routine is boring with the Alpha kids but less so when it was done in Act 5 with Karkat and Terezi and Vriska. Maybe because we were already given compelling reason to care about their issues, and those issues were more involved than "MY BIRTHDAY IS RUINED".

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 9, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Elysiume posted:

She went so grimdark she wrapped around to the other side, which is trickster mode.
It is pretty ridiculous but this plus the deudly firearms twist can't help but bring a smile to my face.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Things have been happening, though. This is a thing, and it has happened, immediately after other things happened. Jake's idiocy was demonstrated at the same time that he was successfully (if bumblingly) sending the juju code to Jane. And today we got ten pages of entirely new developments of varying importance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Color Printer posted:

No joke, the Mindfang Diaries almost murdered my enthusiasm when I was first reading through the archives. I just stared at those walls of text, my eyes glazed over while reading them, and my brain just went "I DON'T GIVE A FLYING gently caress aaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh"

Luckily the diaries were less than a dozen updates and could be skimmed while losing nothing of note. The vortex that is Jake English has consumed nearly half a loving act.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Only a slightly different note, after the update dropped I did stop and think "Homestuck is ending this year, 2013. It is ending this year and the characters dressing up as candy is apparently somehow going to play a part in that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoK8DaJRDaM

:shepface:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seoinin posted:

e. of course this raises the question of why the introspective conversation routine is boring with the Alpha kids but less so when it was done in Act 5 with Karkat and Terezi and Vriska. Maybe because we were already given compelling reason to care about their issues, and those issues were more involved than "MY BIRTHDAY IS RUINED".

Their issues were also way more interesting than the Alpha Kids', with the possible exception of Dirk's. Karkat's reflexive self-loathing and compulsive, contradictory affection for his friends, Vriska's ego and self-esteem issues, Aradia's whipsawing emotional state and Terezi being Terezi were all fairly unique and varied. With the Alpha Kids, we get "Jane is sad," "Jake is dumb," "Dirk is a grandstanding, emotionally dead jackass who torments himself with manufactured copies of his own personality" (again, more interesting, but only recently exploited), and "Roxy is perfectly okay and awesome forever." It's kind of lopsided.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Going back to this for a second, I can't believe this guy couldn't find two things to write about for Yahoo! Movies today, so he just pulls this incomprehensible nonsense out of his rear end. What kind of credentials does this hack claim to have?

quote:

Mr. Sexton was twice named to Who's Who Among America s Teachers. His articles have been referenced in books that include The Reckless Life...of Marlon Brando, Scarface Nation, International Marketing, Brandishing the First Amendment, The Trickster and Incentive!

Wait a minute...

quote:

The Trickster

:catstare: Of course!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Desfore posted:

I'm gonna give Hussie benefit of the doubt and see where he's going with this. I mean, for all we know right now the next update could have this just be a huge joke and have the comic continue like this never happened. But I agree, this came out of nowhere and is completely ridiculous.

This didn't come out of nowhere though! It was stated before that the only way to beat English was by glitching the "game." Trickster mode was shown off as an ewsteregg in an early flash yes, but it was pretty much a giveaway when Calliope showed Roxy that Trickster mode picture of her.

So yeah if you didn't know about that Easter egg, sorry. But there was more lead up to it than that, so this isn't unthinkable. Hell, I expected Trickster mode to pop up after Calliope's picture. I thought it was obvious.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I meant more out of nowhere in this particular moment. I knew Trickster mode existed, but until now it's just been an easter egg, and a kind of inside joke at most with Calliope's drawing. Trickster mode suddenly becoming an actual thing in the canon of the comic, however is kind of out of the blue in my eyes. Especially right after the depressed Jane sidetrack, I certainly wasn't expecting anything like this.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The other thing to consider is the whole dichotomy between magic and science going on. It's not just a running gag where magic turns out to be fake all the time, just replace "science" with "stuff that happens within the game rules/physics" and "magic" with "stuff that doesn't fall into that category.

"Science" gets away with all sorts of ridiculous stuff that should be considered magic because it's valid within the rules of the game. So something that isn't scientific would be a bug in game terms, meaning the conditions for beating LE suddenly make much more sense. That means if we assume the Jujus are actually magic, then each one is basically some sort of glitch or exploit in the game that game constructs (ie, the players, including LE) aren't necessarily equipped to deal with. So no matter how powerful Caliborn gets using the game mechanics, a non-game item could still stop him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Look at this way: there's pretty much no way Trickster Jane can be less interesting than regular Jane.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm not a huge fan of Trickster Mode.
I never really understood it outside of an easter egg, but I guess its a Thing now. :shrug:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tumblr is Burning.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Tumblr is Burning.

You know that inevitable scene in any given submarine movie where poo poo Goes Sideways and everything is lit in real dim red emergency lights and the hull starts making ominous creaking sounds? Yeah.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, the kids, or at least Dave (and thus Rose too most likely), were explicitly stated as white in, like, Act One? Or whenever Dave showed up. Then Hussie went and edited it after making some speech about the kids being aracial blank slates that came off as a lot less impressive and meaningful than I think it was meant to be. But the point is that this should not be a surprise to anyone. Though I suppose Tumblr does love looking for reasons to be angry and offended.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trickster mode makes your skin caucasian, makes your hair impossible-colored, makes your clothes gaudy, puts sugary things in your hair, and does unspeakable things to your mind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Man, the kids, or at least Dave (and thus Rose too most likely), were explicitly stated as white in, like, Act One? Or whenever Dave showed up. Then Hussie went and edited it after making some speech about the kids being aracial blank slates that came off as a lot less impressive and meaningful than I think it was meant to be. But the point is that this should not be a surprise to anyone. Though I suppose Tumblr does love looking for reasons to be angry and offended.

Hussie's "aracial" explanation is pretty much a confirmed troll by now, since he did the exact same thing word-for-word during the Kickstarter and got the exact same reaction out of it.

Trolling Tumblr is not a huge feat, but he gets kudos for doing it with a minimum of effort.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

mr. stefan posted:

Tumblr is Burning.

Ohhhhh, this is gonna be good.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

mr. stefan posted:

Tumblr is Burning.

Andrew Hussie you can't do this to me.
I am going to laugh until I DIE.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

Hussie's "aracial" explanation is pretty much a confirmed troll by now, since he did the exact same thing word-for-word during the Kickstarter and got the exact same reaction out of it.

Trolling Tumblr is not a huge feat, but he gets kudos for doing it with a minimum of effort.

That makes more sense. It also makes the edit job make more sense since it was, like, complete jibberish (though the idea of it being completely serious was amusing too, because it just didn't work).

Edit: I love that he specifies "in Trickster Mode". He's deliberately doing that so people can still get into stupid arguments about when they aren't. Man, has Hussie ever squashed the stupid arguments his fandom gets up to instead of provoking them further?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: I love that he specifies "in Trickster Mode". He's deliberately doing that so people can still get into stupid arguments about when they aren't. Man, has Hussie ever squashed the stupid arguments his fandom gets up to instead of provoking them further?
He could say that the sky is blue and chocolate is delicious and half the fanbase would fly into a violent rage about headcanons and death of the author etc.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Scale Model Giant posted:

Ok, that clinches it for me. This is the work of the Horrorterrors. This IS Jane's grimdark.

She's gone jollybright!

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Cabbit posted:

I'm not unconvinced that this isn't some sort of nascent addition to Homestuck itself, like Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff.
It's like this taken to some perfect nightmare level. I haven't yet seen spambots that can keep it together as long as this "guy" does, but...
what is this person

is the internet finally becoming sentient :stare:

snucks fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 9, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Roland Jones posted:

That makes more sense. It also makes the edit job make more sense since it was, like, complete jibberish (though the idea of it being completely serious was amusing too, because it just didn't work).

I found it funny that in the print book, which if I recall correctly was released after the edit was made, it still says "a white guy" on that page. Hussie doesn't even comment on it, though I guess I dunno how long the production cycles on those things are.

Fister Roboto posted:

She's gone jollybright!

I am suddenly reminded of the grim/noble dark/bright setting alignment matrix. Why do you do this to me?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Prison Warden posted:

I found it funny that in the print book, which if I recall correctly was released after the edit was made, it still says "a white guy" on that page. Hussie doesn't even comment on it, though I guess I dunno how long the production cycles on those things are.

It says "a white guy" on the site, too. He silently changed it back at one point.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Seoinin posted:

I think the problem is that the story has gone back to dicking-around-buildup-mode and stayed there for a long time, even after it already spent quite a while in epic-climatic-mode in late act 5. There's a reason stories usually keep the climax near the end instead of adding thousands of more pages afterwards.

Really act 6 so far could have been 1/3 as long as it is and still kept most of the good stuff.

On the other hand I was actually pretty amused by this update, though hopefully it actually leads to something relevant. Also I enjoyed the whole Mindfang/troll ancestor story well enough, though it did get a bit long-winded.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Color Printer posted:

It says "a white guy" on the site, too. He silently changed it back at one point.
It doesn't matter that John called Dave a white guy because iirc he doesn't even know what Dave looks like at that point

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011

JT Jag posted:

It doesn't matter that John called Dave a white guy because iirc he doesn't even know what Dave looks like at that point

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Bro there, but I would find it hard to believe the Beta kids never traded some photos or were friends on facebook or whatever.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Elysiume posted:

The Squiddles are horrorterrors that have engaged Trickster Mode. I'm not even mostly joking.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

k5josh posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Bro there, but I would find it hard to believe the Beta kids never traded some photos or were friends on facebook or whatever.

You cannot possibly expect me to believe that Dave doesn't have pictures of himself taken from an ironic myspace angle.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

Their issues were also way more interesting than the Alpha Kids', with the possible exception of Dirk's. Karkat's reflexive self-loathing and compulsive, contradictory affection for his friends, Vriska's ego and self-esteem issues, Aradia's whipsawing emotional state and Terezi being Terezi were all fairly unique and varied. With the Alpha Kids, we get "Jane is sad," "Jake is dumb," "Dirk is a grandstanding, emotionally dead jackass who torments himself with manufactured copies of his own personality" (again, more interesting, but only recently exploited), and "Roxy is perfectly okay and awesome forever." It's kind of lopsided.

I think it's more the issues that the Alpha kids are dealing with the same stuff as the Beta kids (its as if they're based off each other :haw:) which means we've seen all this stuff before. Most of the first acts dealt with "Jade is sad/distant", "John gets himself killed", "Dave is a grandstanding, emotionally dead jackass who torments himself with time clones/mortality", etc.

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 9, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There are some updates that amaze me with Hussie's writing ability. Sometimes I'm left stunned by a plot twist, impressed by the deftness with which the sprawling story comes together, pleased by art or music or some new rabbit in Hussie's hat.

And then there's updates like this, where I ever so slightly wonder if Hussie's completely lost control of the story.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm like 90% certain that this is only a silly distaction and it's not really going to have any relevance to the plot.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm thinking that she just hit herself in the face really, really hard and knocked herself out.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
Why did people think that Jane wasn't white?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Saradiart posted:

Why did people think that Jane wasn't white?

Andrew's long claimed (I suspect at least partially tongue in cheek) that all the characters in Homestuck were aracial. Some people were very attached to this idea as it meant they could assign any race to the kids in their heads. Now some people are flipping out.

On the less amusing side of things, apparently this has also led to racial insults being thrown around tonight as some groups are proclaiming that "Haha, now you can't cosplay as Jane because you're [insert racial epithet here]." :smith:

The internet is terrible.