Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Saradiart posted:

Why did people think that Jane wasn't white?

What Regy Rusty said, and a lot of the official album art, Kickstarter goodies, and a ton of fanart depicted Jane (and occasionally Roxy) as a person of color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Trickster mode characters aren't caucasian; their skin is just made of cookie dough. :colbert:

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Line Feed posted:

But is the unseen riddler Lord English, or Gamzee?

It's Andrew Hussie, always pulling back the prize of whole understanding and satisfying resolution, leaving only...
Absence.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Reene posted:

What Regy Rusty said, and a lot of the official album art, Kickstarter goodies, and a ton of fanart depicted Jane (and occasionally Roxy) as a person of color.

As though it were somehow more racially sensitive to make Roxy, an alcoholic with a very tenuous grasp of proper english, black. Hip hip hooray, Tumblr.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
And once again, I have no words to describe the emotions that Andrew Hussie has rent upon my soul. That dance, man.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Andrew's long claimed (I suspect at least partially tongue in cheek) that all the characters in Homestuck were aracial.

Honestly in retrospect this was kind of a dumb thing for him to have said. He probably should have just said "Yeah, they're all white, sorry for not being more inclusive but this ship has sailed." But I guess he was trying to appease the folks that flip out when your cast doesn't look like an after school special. There's no appeasing tumblr.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Andrew did state that none of the kids were black on his old formspring, though since it's his old formspring he might not really be serious. This was like 2 years before the big stupid racism blowup thing.

Andrew's Old Formspring posted:

Is Jade asian? Is this supposed to be a racist social commentary sort of thing?

i consider the kids a-racial.

the only race they obviously definitely arent is black.

which is very racist of me.

Regy Rusty posted:

On the less amusing side of things, apparently this has also led to racial insults being thrown around tonight as some groups are proclaiming that "Haha, now you can't cosplay as Jane because you're [insert racial epithet here]." :smith:

The internet is terrible.

:ughh:

Seriously, fanartists, cosplayers, do whatever you want.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seoinin posted:

You cannot possibly expect me to believe that Dave doesn't have pictures of himself taken from an ironic myspace angle.

Yep.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
160 new posts? Gotta be a neat flash upda:stonk:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dolash posted:

There are some updates that amaze me with Hussie's writing ability. Sometimes I'm left stunned by a plot twist, impressed by the deftness with which the sprawling story comes together, pleased by art or music or some new rabbit in Hussie's hat.

And then there's updates like this, where I ever so slightly wonder if Hussie's completely lost control of the story.

I'm wondering if he's completely lost control of his mind.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

As long as this puts a stop to the obnoxious "tricksters are crazy and kill everyone and giggle about it and and and and crazy murdering" bullshit then whatever's going on here is fine by me.

That's been the dumbest part of fan-generated content for forever and I'll be happy to see it canonically banished into the void.

That said, I can't imagine this being followed by anything but another "THIS IS STUPID" panel and cutting away to something else before we know what this might even mean at all.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kelp Plankton posted:

As long as this puts a stop to the obnoxious "tricksters are crazy and kill everyone and giggle about it and and and and crazy murdering" bullshit then whatever's going on here is fine by me.

That's been the dumbest part of fan-generated content for forever and I'll be happy to see it canonically banished into the void.

That said, I can't imagine this being followed by anything but another "THIS IS STUPID" panel and cutting away to something else before we know what this might even mean at all.

I'm going to blame you if Jane starts caving heads in with that sucker.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think this is the glitch mode needed to stop playing by Sburb's rules. Noclip through Skaia, reprogram the system, and shut down everything.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Man, that didn't even make a LICK of sense. Poor Jane :(.

I hope this continues to be a thing, the most insufferable parts of the fanbase must be losing their collective poo poo. It must be how Hussie deals with those crazy elements, with something crazier.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I'm getting a total invincibility vibe from Jane here. The flashing lights and looping energetic music with this impromptu transformation are reminiscent of a mario power star or a sonic the hedgehog invincibility tv.

I wonder what Jane will do with this power? They don't tend to last very long, although homestuck characters can accomplish a hell of a lot of important stuff in a small space of time...

Also I can't tell if the presence of that never ending story amulet was called way in advance by that tumblr guy, or if hussie added it in as a wink to the theory makers. It's such a chicken an egg scenario

JamJars
Aug 2, 2004

you cannot beat me
Don't forget about Kirby where the invincibility item is a lollipop.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
I, for one, hope Jane remains in this state for the remainder of the comic, terrifying face and all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing that could happen is for this to be a joke.

He needs to go somewhere with this quickly. The only other possible option I will allow is for a godtier Karkat to become the focus of the comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

That's what's killing me about this. I don't want to deal with the Alpha Session anymore! This Trickster Mode crap is just going to drag it out even further and take even more time from the characters I (and basically everyone else) actually cares about.

It's telling that the Alpha Kids only became more tolerable when Hussie clued in to how lovely they were and dedicated an entire sub-act to hammering that home, but that doesn't mean I want to be stuck with them any longer than necessary.

You're hosed then because we're likely staying in the Alpha Session until the conclusion of the story. The Beta kids will arrive, but this is it. This is what we've been building to, the eight player session. This is not an interlude.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Supposing that this isn't a fakeout, I wonder if this might possibly be related to the anime Squiddles, which seemed to be itself a glitch.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Captain Oblivious posted:

You're hosed then because we're likely staying in the Alpha Session until the conclusion of the story. The Beta kids will arrive, but this is it. This is what we've been building to, the eight player session. This is not an interlude.
Yeah, but hopefully the beta kids and trolls arriving will shake things up enough to feel different/better.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I wonder if this may actually end up similar to the formation of Tavrisprite, in which everyone is left to twist in the wind over a somewhat horrifyingly :stonk: plot element for a few days until the status quo gets restored in the next few pages, minus a few long-reaching caveats that actually develop the story in a positive way.

Fister Roboto posted:

She's gone jollybright!

This term needs more attention.

Seoinin posted:

You cannot possibly expect me to believe that Dave doesn't have pictures of himself taken from an ironic myspace angle.

He has those hanging on his photo line in his room, even.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

Nonbaka posted:

I, for one, hope Jane remains in this state for the remainder of the comic, terrifying face and all.

I'm torn between wanting this, and wanting her to immediately Janesplode from the sheer cognitive dissonance.

Edit: Yeah, like Midnight Raider said. A Tavrisplode-style redaction might be imminent, leaving us only with the knowledge that this is a Thing that can totally happen and be utilized later.

Scale Model Giant fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 9, 2013

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I can't believe that for the past few flashes I've always been disappointed there wasn't a trickster mode, and the whole time he was planning this. Goddammit Hussie.

I hope this is plot relevant, I really do. It's just too wonderful not to be.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hm. Candy-themed, glitch-based powers that may or may not involve noclip. I wonder if Hussie has seen Wreck-It Ralph.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Y'know, I was thinking Gamzee was going to try to steal the jujus from Jane.

If he does try to steal it now, would he be able to go into trickster mode?

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Akett posted:

Y'know, I was thinking Gamzee was going to try to steal the jujus from Jane.

If he does try to steal it now, would he be able to go into trickster mode?

You can't steal a juju. You either have them given to you willingly, or you kill the current owner.

And even if he was planning on killing Jane, given his reaction to Trickster Mode I doubt he wants them anymore.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

:ughh:

Seriously, fanartists, cosplayers, do whatever you want.

John straight up says "I am not a homosexual," and that never stopped the internet :v:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Hm. Candy-themed, glitch-based powers that may or may not involve noclip. I wonder if Hussie has seen Wreck-It Ralph.

Unless time travel exists in our universe, it is chronologically more likely that WIR was inspired by the trickster mode in "YOU THERE. BOY".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cat Mattress posted:

Unless time travel exists in our universe, it is chronologically more likely that WIR was inspired by the trickster mode in "YOU THERE. BOY".

Which, as other people noted a page or two earlier, was inspired by a fan-edit of John's sprite a week after the comic started.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Cat Mattress posted:

I keep trying to press ctrl-t but it just opens up a new tab. :(

On an semi-related note, goddamn was the coding/ui work in some of the older walkarounds spotty as gently caress. Half the messages in the quoted flash break off because there's not enough room on the page and even if there is half of them just abrubtly break off anyways. And then theres this flash which has always glitched out and become unplayable on every computer I've tried it on.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I keep trying to press ctrl-t but it just opens up a new tab. :(

On an semi-related note, goddamn was the coding/ui work in some of the older walkarounds spotty as gently caress. Half the messages in the quoted flash break off because there's not enough room on the page and even if there is half of them just abrubtly break off anyways. And then theres this flash which has always glitched out and become unplayable on every computer I've tried it on.

Altgr-t might work better.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
This is just kinda stupid, and not even in a funny way. It's just... a thing that happens, i guess? Eh.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Supposing that this isn't a fakeout, I wonder if this might possibly be related to the anime Squiddles, which seemed to be itself a glitch.

:psyduck:

Well this is something I've never heard of. So apparently skipper plumbthroat isn't English or Bec.

How much you want to bet it's Dualscar? He's dead for a reason. :tinfoil:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would be shocked if the Squiddle Girlz ever showed up in any capacity at this point. Pleasantly shocked, but shocked nonetheless.

Gankro probably could have snuck them into a trickster mode if we had made the assets, though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm not saying that's not also possible, but it's not like the concept is lifted directly from that earlier page either. Trickster mode before was an easter egg in a little flash game, thrown in there to let people see some behind-the-scenes type stuff and because it was funny. Now it's an actual, canon game mechanic with presumable Story Ramifications, and what it turned into reminds me a lot of Thing From Movie. v:shobon:v I'm just saying some inspiration might have been taken from it. But then, people were saying that about anime for years, and Hussie apparently never watches that stuff, so maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Also, maybe I'm assuming too much in thinking Trickster Mode is at all intended to be associated with game glitches, because of its showing up in the Sburb Glitch Guide metafic thing which is actually not associated with Andrew Hussie himself in any way, shape, or form.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
For some vaguely appropriate reason, this was the first thing I thought of when I saw this update.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Admiral Goodenough posted:

For some vaguely appropriate reason, this was the first thing I thought of when I saw this update.

Red spiral in the background?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Odds are people will get over trickster mode, much like they got over Guy Fieri and ICP in post scratch Earth.

I've seen the crazy, and want to see what's next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Yo Janey
It's yo birthday
We gonna party like it's yo birthday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IH8tNQAzSs