Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Oatgan posted:

Excuse me but Tank went toe-to-toe with Meng for over an hour once, then fought Jerry Flynn to a stand still in The Block. Nobody in WCW could take him down in a fair fight.

He also had was nice enough to cut people's beards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Abbott was never actually great at anything, he was just good at pounding the poo poo out of deluded karate guys with no full-contact experience who thought they could win the UFC. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a handful of guys in the company who could outgrapple him.

Tank had as much or more amateur wrestling experience than WCW's wrestlers, and on top of that actual fighting experience.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
A lot of people on the net used to say that Abbot was just really god drat tough. He would lose a fight in UFC, and the winner would be home nursing his wounds, getting stitches, etc. and Abbot would go out and laugh and drink beers an hour after the fight.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Tank had as much or more amateur wrestling experience than WCW's wrestlers, and on top of that actual fighting experience.

Kevin Nash says that Tank ducked a fight with Rick Steiner in WCW, but I don't know how seriously to take that. Tank would have been an awesome worker if he'd started off in wrestling and not UFC.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Someone read Tank Abbott's fictional quasi-biography and give us some choice quotes.

Also Tank Abbott cuts possibly the worst promos I've ever heard as a wrestling fan and there's not even a close second.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

a lot of the early UFC fighters regarded Tank as an absolute psychopath. I think SI did an article about one of the early UFC tournaments and the takeaway was not to be anywhere near Tank Abbott, backstage or in the ring.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Reading through the thread and came across this:

quote:

"Next came the sumo monster truck match. The match was actually a compilation of about a 5:00 live match, and several hours worth of taping the previous night. They actually had two monster truck drivers doing the driving and had Hogan and the Giant inside the truck faking like they were driving. If you notice, all the "in the truck" shots were identical and spliced in badly which gave it the Planet Nine look. The Dungeon of Doom truck looked cool. Even Hogan's truck looked like it was on steroids. After the match, Hogan and the Giant argued, and shoved, and punched and eventually the Giant lost his balance on a ledge that was supposed to be overhanging Lake Michigan (although there actually in no part of the roof of Cobo Arena that overhands the lake as there is a parking lot totally surrounding the building) and plunged to his death, or so we were led to believe. Angles like this are the reason pro wrestling in this country is in the condition it is in." (WON 1995-11-06.)

Considering Detroit is nowhere close to Lake Michigan, throwing the Giant in it would be such a herculean achievement that I'm shocked Hogan hasn't lied about it yet.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Reading through the thread and came across this:

Considering Detroit is nowhere close to Lake Michigan, throwing the Giant in it would be such a herculean achievement that I'm shocked Hogan hasn't lied about it yet.

I think he meant the Detroit River.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Another worthless fact about the Hulk Hogan monster truck...the design of the body w/ muscular (roided) arms was originally for a deal with American Gladiators.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

coconono posted:

a lot of the early UFC fighters regarded Tank as an absolute psychopath. I think SI did an article about one of the early UFC tournaments and the takeaway was not to be anywhere near Tank Abbott, backstage or in the ring.
It's a work, brother.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a work, brother.

Like when he asks if he can bring a weapon to the ring, and he brings a knife and holds it to another persons neck.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

bobkatt013 posted:

Like when he asks if he can bring a weapon to the ring, and he brings a knife and holds it to another persons neck.

Uh, he was clearly just trying to shave his beard.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I started to post about this in the Rumble thread but I figure it's correct to put it here....

Back in 96 I found the WWF to be completely boring and filled with cartoonish garbage and was slowly drifting from wrestling thinking I had just outgrown it. Keep in mind that I had never watched WCW and had always thought it was some lovely minor league...i.e. I had no loving clue that Razor Ramon and Diesel went to the WCW. I just knew that two guys I had liked were no longer on TV. When Jim Ross announced they were returning I got pumped....only to be loving pissed at the fakes. This soured me on the product even more. I had no clue they were mocking WCW, I just thought they were trying to fool people into thinking they were real for some reason! (I was 12 at the time). The final nail in the coffin (pun intended) for me was the Buried Alive Match between Mankind and Undertaker the month after the fakes debuted. Immediately after that match I said I was done with this lame poo poo and didn't watch again until ALL my friends got me back into it in December 1999.

Was there any other little marks confused as hell by the "fake" Razor and Diesel when they debuted? Again, I had no clue about anything in WCW and just felt like WWF was trying to rip me off. Too bad I didn't know of WCW at the time otherwise I would've surely gotten caught up in the NWO. The NWO was basically against everything I was sick of in WWF at the time and it's no wonder they started murdering them in the ratings.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Similarly, all I got on my TV was WCW, so I was somewhat oblivious to the awesome stuff Austin was doing while I was watching 1999 WCW :|

That all changed when a friend loaned me a copy of that weeks Raw. I still remember it to this day, it was the one where Austin was named the CEO after the Corporate Ministry reveal and tore poo poo up in Titan Towers. I was sold.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I started to post about this in the Rumble thread but I figure it's correct to put it here....

Back in 96 I found the WWF to be completely boring and filled with cartoonish garbage and was slowly drifting from wrestling thinking I had just outgrown it. Keep in mind that I had never watched WCW and had always thought it was some lovely minor league...i.e. I had no loving clue that Razor Ramon and Diesel went to the WCW. I just knew that two guys I had liked were no longer on TV. When Jim Ross announced they were returning I got pumped....only to be loving pissed at the fakes. This soured me on the product even more. I had no clue they were mocking WCW, I just thought they were trying to fool people into thinking they were real for some reason! (I was 12 at the time). The final nail in the coffin (pun intended) for me was the Buried Alive Match between Mankind and Undertaker the month after the fakes debuted. Immediately after that match I said I was done with this lame poo poo and didn't watch again until ALL my friends got me back into it in December 1999.

Was there any other little marks confused as hell by the "fake" Razor and Diesel when they debuted? Again, I had no clue about anything in WCW and just felt like WWF was trying to rip me off. Too bad I didn't know of WCW at the time otherwise I would've surely gotten caught up in the NWO. The NWO was basically against everything I was sick of in WWF at the time and it's no wonder they started murdering them in the ratings.

This resulted in WCW panicking because Hall and Nash had only signed an MOU (memo of understanding) instead of a contract and they offered them $400,000 each per year to sign a contract.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fake Razor and Diesel weren't meant to mock WCW, they were an attempt by Vince to assert his intellectual property and just re-use the characters.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

Fake Razor and Diesel weren't meant to mock WCW, they were an attempt by Vince to assert his intellectual property and just re-use the characters.

Also to show people it not the wrestler it was the character that was over. It was just Vince being crazy Vince.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

EDIT - Here is the Macho Man truck was that was built but never ran because the deal fell through! A Bret Hart body was also being developed.

Wasn't the hat from the Macho Man truck found in a warehouse somewhere? I think I saw a picture once.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

The American Dream posted:

Wasn't the hat from the Macho Man truck found in a warehouse somewhere? I think I saw a picture once.

I think it was on the Punk visit to the WWE Warehouse.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The American Dream posted:

I believe so. The rest of the truck is really just a basic Ford truck with nutty paint and a few modifications to the cab.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I believe so. The rest of the truck is really just a basic Ford truck with nutty paint and a few modifications to the cab.

Do you have any insight into the show Monster Wars and if so who can we send a petition to for a DVD release/new season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02d91GkzM0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Oatgan posted:

Do you have any insight into the show Monster Wars and if so who can we send a petition to for a DVD release/new season?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V02d91GkzM0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

What do you want to know? Every episode is on youtube and it was extremely short lived (for obvious reasons). They tried to tap into the KIDS LOVE PROWRESTLING SO THEY'LL LOVE THIS! and it failed. The "wrestletrucks" would've fit in great. The comedy of macho man cutting a promo after his truck won a race would live on forever as youtube gold.

I actually have a thread in AI about my time in the monster truck industry, go ahead and ask about it there so I don't derail this -

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3482958

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was it WCW's dedication to holding on to Hall and Nash on the back of the dispute with WWE that eventually (indirectly) got us such classics as Hall's alcoholism becoming an angle (gotta get your $400k p/y out of your deeply troubled performer somehow I suppose!) and the constant worked shoot references during the Russo era (the infamous Nash and DDP(?) promo where they talked endlessly about Hall, only to have the name blanked out for legal reasons stands out)?

I know Hall wasn't and isn't alone in having his demons. Talking about the era in particular, I liken pro wrestling in the late '90s to the experiences of certain musicians in the late '60s or select American filmmakers in the mid-'70s on this front, some of them felt invincible to an extent. Being kept in that environment with no reason to do anything different though seems like another cruel twist in the Scott Hall saga...

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I know Hall wasn't and isn't alone in having his demons. Talking about the era in particular, I liken pro wrestling in the late '90s to the experiences of certain musicians in the late '60s or select American filmmakers in the mid-'70s on this front, some of them felt invincible to an extent. Being kept in that environment with no reason to do anything different though seems like another cruel twist in the Scott Hall saga...

I think wrestling was just so loving popular in the late 90s, man. Some of these guys were basically rock stars everywhere they went.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Was it WCW's dedication to holding on to Hall and Nash on the back of the dispute with WWE that eventually (indirectly) got us such classics as Hall's alcoholism becoming an angle (gotta get your $400k p/y out of your deeply troubled performer somehow I suppose!) and the constant worked shoot references during the Russo era (the infamous Nash and DDP(?) promo where they talked endlessly about Hall, only to have the name blanked out for legal reasons stands out)?

Scott Hall always had drug issues due to him killing a guy. Also the reason they held on to Hall is due to Nash's backstage power and the fact that he was seen as one of the reasons they beat WWF for a period.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I found a slideshow of some classic good and bad WCW promotional photos.

http://withleather.uproxx.com/2013/01/the-best-and-very-very-worst-of-vintage-wcw-promo-photos-part-1

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

bobkatt013 posted:

Scott Hall always had drug issues due to him killing a guy. Also the reason they held on to Hall is due to Nash's backstage power and the fact that he was seen as one of the reasons they beat WWF for a period.

I knew about the nightclub incident and Nash's backstage sway. It's just that whenever I read histories of WCW, towards the end there's always a number of "Scott Hall, who was somehow still employed..." notes (less "witty" depending on how good it is as a whole I suppose). I think I had heard stories about Nash and Hall wanting to leave at some point too.

Note that I have hardly any insight into the business beyond the level of a casual fan.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
There's going to be a new version Death of WCW coming out in 2014.

f4wonline.com posted:

Bryan Alvarez and RD Reynolds announced today on Figure Four Daily that they have signed a deal with ECW Press to write a newly-expanded 10-year anniversary edition of the 2005 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Book of the Year, "The Death of WCW".

The original manuscript was significantly larger than the final product, largely due to the wrestling book market being significantly smaller at the time. Nearly everything that was cut out will be included in the revised edition, plus it will feature tons of quotes from the major players, a look at the ten years following the death of the company, a section debunking criticisms of the first book ("WCW died because of the AOL/Time Warner merger"), THE WOLFPAC, and more.

The book, which will be released in a limited-edition hardcover version as well (Bryan made sure that was in the contract), is expected to be released in mid-2014.

If you have suggestions of topics to tackle or expand upon in this edition, email them to Bryan@wrestlingobserver.com. We'd also appreciate hearing from anyone who lived through that period, wrestlers, office staff, etc. at that same address. Everything will be forwarded on to RD as well.

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the support. We hope that this anniversary edition will be a book that can be looked back upon historically as the definitive, most factually-accurate book detailing the death of what was, for a brief period, the biggest wrestling company in the history of the world.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Release it on Kindle.

Release it on Kindle.

Please, Bryan.

Release it on Kindle.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Release it on Kindle.

Release it on Kindle.

Please, Bryan.

Release it on Kindle.

The 1st edition is on Kindle, but I am hoping that like the original book it is more Bryan Alvarez and less RD.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I really liked the original book, but I'll hold off on the expanded edition until I hear what exactly the additions are

Edit: Quick someone email Bryan that scan of the "looks like something a bird left on the hood of your car" ad, so he can put it in the book!!

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 15, 2013

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I really liked the original book, but I'll hold off on the expanded edition until I hear what exactly the additions are

I hope the new book is actually blank except for a photo of Scott Hall in the middle of 300 pages.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Frot Lesnar posted:

I hope the new book is actually blank except for a photo of Scott Hall in the middle of 300 pages.

Since there are a number of new people reading these threads it should be noted he is referencing a very famous screen cap of Scott Hall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
My friend described awa Scott hall as looking like 'somebodys dad'

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Back in the day I was a WCW guy. I thought the wrestling was better, I'm big on "character" based wrestling and WCW was all about the characters. I loved WCW so much that I stopped watching wrestling when they were bought, full stop, despite loving WWF almost as much.

I know WCW were gently caress ups but man, I really, really miss that company.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Himuro posted:

I miss the good days. When WCW was good, I feel it was better than any other company. But when it was bad, well, same thing. Worse than any other company.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I miss the good days. When WCW was good, I feel it was better than any other company. But when it was bad, well, same thing. Worse than any other company.

Can't say I disagree.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Himuro posted:

Back in the day I was a WCW guy. I thought the wrestling was better, I'm big on "character" based wrestling and WCW was all about the characters. I loved WCW so much that I stopped watching wrestling when they were bought, full stop, despite loving WWF almost as much.

What do you mean by character based wrestling? I can see one way this sort of makes sense and one where it doesn't at all.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MassRayPer posted:

What do you mean by character based wrestling? I can see one way this sort of makes sense and one where it doesn't at all.

Guys like La Parka. Only in WCW could I see a black man dance like an idiot and dress like a football player. I guess that was the wrong description but it was the first to spring to mind. I adored the absolute lunacy or WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Himuro posted:

Guys like La Parka. Only in WCW could I see a black man dance like an idiot and dress like a football player. I guess that was the wrong description but it was the first to spring to mind. I adored the absolute lunacy or WCW.

So gimmicks? To me that seems like a reason someone would like WWF/E more, because there were always more wacky gimmicks and zany antics while WCW was (usually) the more serious wrestling company. To me it felt like WCW had more characters rather than gimmicks, wrestlers with personalities rather than gimmicks.