Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ironically, looking at it again I'm more drawn to that quoted 6.8 0-60 / 15.3 quarter mile times that put this "testosterone oozing pussy magnet" on par with such monsters as the 1997 V6 Camry or a 2012 Chrysler 200 Limited, or a 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS.

No doubt the quarter mile times are severely limited by the custom super hard kum-hos with no sidewall for sick drifts and the F-150 truck motor. I owned a '98 GT vert and it was the slowest V8 I've ever had in any car. I put my friends g-force meter on the dash and it guesstimated 185 HP based on weight of the vehicle and the spine crushing backwards G's. I also had a '99 Mercury Sable with a DOHC V6 and it was much faster.

He may have a point though because I married my then girlfriend at the time. It may have had secret chick getting powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

Kotaru posted:

Scrolled back a few pages and didn't see this gem posted;

http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3465598709.html
I'm pretty sure it was posted about a month ago - it was on Jalopnik.

fake edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718513&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=315#post410536534

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I know that BiTurbos are always a resounding NO, but the Weber carb is worth more than the price: http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3499292870.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Bummer, thought I found something new.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

Rare Spares are now stocking parts for Falcons from the XL to XF, which is helpful.

$3k. Seems about on par for prices around here. I hope it finds an enthusiast that wants to restore it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ironically, looking at it again I'm more drawn to that quoted 6.8 0-60 / 15.3 quarter mile times that put this "testosterone oozing pussy magnet" on par with such monsters as the 1997 V6 Camry or a 2012 Chrysler 200 Limited, or a 2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS.

Hahaha my car is faster than that.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Well then.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

My stupid STS is just as fast/faster than that car. Though maybe I am getting so spoiled by speed with the 550i pretty much every thing is kinda slow.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Actual gold? http://iowacity.craigslist.org/cto/3526534036.html

quote:

1987 SUBARU Gl 4x4 with true 4wheel drive and lo range too
141,000m 

Fabricated from rare minerals excavated from the core of Mount Olympus, artfully designed by Zeus and skillfully handcrafted in the Land of the Rising Sun by the deft hands of the infamous 7 Samurai. This Japanese rice-rocket is unquestionably the most heroic form of transport since the Apollo 11 lunar module. 

Searching for a delightful automobile to ferry you Barnes and Noble to buy 50 shades of Grey, or perhaps cart little Blueboy to clarinet lessons? Do me a favor, smash your laptop on the ground, give yourself an uppercut and take a good, long look in the mirror. Frankly, I'm offended. 

If, on the other hand, you're hunting for the most diabolical slab of precious metal to be synthesized during the Big Bang, please continue. . . 

To date, the most monumental day of your existence was your wedding, or the birth of your children. That's about to change! In fact, you'd trade your spouse and all of your offspring just to test-drive this barbarian. 

FACTS: this car transported the Statue of Liberty to New York City from Paris. 

Cast as KITT in 1982's Knight Rider TV series, but eventually deemed too intelligent for the role. 

Manufactured in 1987, this Gl was responsible for the Grunge movement. If Kurt Cobain owned one, Nirvana would still be thrashing out tunes. 

I drove it to my last job interview and my employer handed me his résumé. 

If you were to be run over by this beast, you'd have to fight off the strong urge to thank the driver. 

When the cops pulled me over a few weeks ago, they were lucky to leave with a warning. 

SPECIFICATIONS: . 

2 front seats from a 0-60 in 5 second car (thrones) back upholstered with Albino Panda fur died blue.. 

Stereo system used for sound engineering the U2 360 tour. 

Built-in chick/dude magnet (it knows your preference). 

Integrated time machine (takes you back to 1987 when you step inside) 

Powered by nuclear fusion (makes Coles/Woolies fuel vouchers redundant) 

Windscreen wiper jets filled with the tears of Jesus (washes away the most sinful grime) 

No power steering (so you better start pumping iron to shred your biceps) 

Analogue clock (ask your Grandfather how to read it). 

PRICE: 

$4,300 or 

Reasonable offers accepted. 

(Example of a reasonable offer: $10,000 +) 
 Jackie Chan once drove a car like this in a movie called Cannonball Run. If you want to look for rust (besides on the 2 front rims that came from my BRAT), you will have to go look at another car, this one has NONE and never has had. It spent it's entire life in the Desert SW scaring rattlesnakes out of their skin. This car will not be sold to someone who cannot do the following: Check/change their own oil. Change a tire by oneself. Replace spark plugs, fuels filters, etc. If you cannot do your own simple maintenance, then you are not worthy of this type of car. Simple

blk
Dec 19, 2009

That car is near me, the seller knows some goons but isn't one himself I think.

:geno: I can no longer tolerate the soul crushing boredom that comes with my NSX. The predictable maintenance costs, the predictable starter, the predictable electrics - everyone says I am so predictable. I will show them. I will trade it for a Merak! :geno:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I have no loving clue

Craigslist posted:

What we have here is 30 Deadbolt Adaptor Rings - 2-1/8" to 1-1/2" , solid10k GOLD military grade specification. Bronze anodized coating. $ 995.00 ea...... OBO. I have a little room to move on the price. Do not make me some ridiculous low offer . That would be an insult. CASH. THIS IS THE BEST PRICE on the internet or in the state for that matter. Look around and you will see. These are NEW ! This means no one's had there grubby hands on them. That's rare !
Manly rings for the Deadbolt that need adapting. These are not some light-weight girley rings. Solid gold construction makes these adaptor rings the best out there. None better! These are made right here in the good old USA, not China like to he ones you find at Home Depot or K Mart.
You may ask yourself " do I need them all ? ",,,,,, I say YES ! Take all 30 for your Deadbolt adapting needs for a lifetime. You'll never be caught short of Deadbolt adaptor rings. The thought of being out in the cold without a Deadbolt Adapter ring is scary !
They make a great gift for manly men who know quality Deadbolt Adaptor rings when they see one. All others don't know Deadbolt Adaptor rings from a hole in the wall.
You can put a few away for a rainy day. They never loose their value due to the solid gold military grade construction. They never rust so you can take one or two, at the max, under water with you. DO NOT try to board a commercial airline with these on you. They are not legal in many states. Canada has the harshest laws regarding Deadbolt Adapter ring possession and transporting. I guess its a real problem for the Canadians.
I would keep them for myself but one man can only have so many great quality Deadbolt Adaptor rings in a lifetime. There are only 30 left over. I can't use any more. Had enough !
I have had them for years and came from my family's trust. I hate to let them go but I need surgery and will not be able to drive for at least 6 weeks are what the doctors are saying. I drive a cab so that cuts into my income. They give me a 50/50 chance of a full recovery. They always say that so when you're lying on the table dead they are not held liable . That makes me feel a lot better. I can't trust doctors because I was born in a hospital.

Due to blindness I only receive text ni ne1 sixf i veni n e14 f our9. Don't bother texting after 9. I will be out of the house.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

That car is near me, the seller knows some goons but isn't one himself I think.

:geno: I can no longer tolerate the soul crushing boredom that comes with my NSX. The predictable maintenance costs, the predictable starter, the predictable electrics - everyone says I am so predictable. I will show them. I will trade it for a Merak! :geno:

James May drove one during Top Gear special. Turned out he just kept running out of electricity!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Actual gold?

http://williamsport.craigslist.org/cto/3533652172.html

Seem like a great price if it's really 12k miles and has been stored it's whole life.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Holy poo poo. The U.S. is so different to Australia. I can pick up a Subie GL for a few hundred $ but would be hard pressed to find even a mid-late '90s Forester for less than $10k. If it weren't for all those silly laws and LHD / RHD conversion issues I'd suggest a goon run international import CarTel. Then everyone could have the vehicles they wanted for a modestly non-crippling fee.

NurSpec
May 6, 2007

Win or lose,
just keep on trying!

General_Failure posted:

Holy poo poo. The U.S. is so different to Australia. I can pick up a Subie GL for a few hundred $ but would be hard pressed to find even a mid-late '90s Forester for less than $10k. If it weren't for all those silly laws and LHD / RHD conversion issues I'd suggest a goon run international import CarTel. Then everyone could have the vehicles they wanted for a modestly non-crippling fee.

Yeah, no joke. I've been searching high and low for a decent Forester for a while now and all I'm finding for below $10K has more than 150,000 miles.

If importing were legal however I'd want to get some kind of kei-car. One of those little fuckers would be perfect putting around town!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

NurSpec posted:

Yeah, no joke. I've been searching high and low for a decent Forester for a while now and all I'm finding for below $10K has more than 150,000 miles.

If importing were legal however I'd want to get some kind of kei-car. One of those little fuckers would be perfect putting around town!

By which do you mean a proper Kei car or what everyone outside the U.S. considers to be a normal car?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

+

Good idea, or best idea?

Deep in the lotus slideshow the 'steel' looks pretty crunchy.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31392838@N04/sets/72157632075882318/

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Came across this on Craigslist

A 1946 Chevy meets a 1996 Chevy.

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 11, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
The only thing it's missing is the sideways license plate..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Went looking to see how much old Countach's are running for (purely out of curiosity) and found this: http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/clt/3536592493.html

Also, $19,000 for a diecast collection? I don't know much about how much something like this would cost, but this seems to me to be drastically over priced: http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/clt/3533313833.html

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Rhyno posted:

Over in my thread I'm contemplating picking up a non running '85 Grand National. They're asking $2500, I offered a trade for a running car and I expect to spend roughly 4 times the asking price to fully restore the car.

I wouldn't bother with a hot air GN, if you want to get one, get an '86 or '87.

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!

Dr.Smasher posted:

I didn't realize there were so many options for sub-$3,000 Grand Nationals out there these days.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Lotus 7 with 5L V8.

"Never raced or abused"

"Comes with 5 extra wheels with Toyo RA1's with 1-2 track days left on them."

:crossarms:

It is excellent to see that this thing is actually tracked, but that's an amusing combination.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, there's technically a distinction between just taking the car out on the track, and a timed racing event. Insurers notice enough of a difference in accident/engine explosion rates that they'll often void your policy if you race, but not if you just go to track days.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If the seller was being that specific, he might mention something like "I get pretty cheap track insurance via <some company>."
Still feels a bit misleading. I would have accepted "no wheel to wheel racing."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr.Smasher posted:

Well I'd had my heart set on an '87 but for $2500 it seemed like a steal. And maybe it was because the phone # from the ad it out of service.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know much about GNs other than the typical factoids, what do you mean by hot air?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

I don't know much about GNs other than the typical factoids, what do you mean by hot air?

Non intercooled.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Real Gold? Datsun B210 (IL)
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3537016947.html

1971 240Z (MN)
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/3533367450.html

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Well, there's technically a distinction between just taking the car out on the track, and a timed racing event. Insurers notice enough of a difference in accident/engine explosion rates that they'll often void your policy if you race, but not if you just go to track days.

Ontario is loving stupid about stuff like this. They find out you've been to a trackday (even as just an HPDE day) say goodbye to your insurance. If they find that you autocross, say goodbye to your insurance. You modify your car and don't declare the modifications to your insurance, you'll be dropped. Hell, I had I switch insurance companies as a result of putting in a roll bar on the miata, as the insurance company wouldn't allow it. The only modifications they allow were different wheels, provided the wheels had winter tires on them, and were only used between November - May. Otherwise, you had to have your stock wheels on.

gently caress Ontario insurance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, I absolutely agree. I grew up in Ontario and gently caress fucka gently caress Ontario insurance. My personal story: when my mom got sick she had a number of small, stupid, seemingly inexplicable fender-benders (turns out that terminal cancer messes with your brain) over the course of a year or so. Some were reported to insurance, some weren't, I'm not totally sure what happened, but the company basically decided that she was uninsurable and deactivated her policy. Sucks, but that is what happens when you have a number of accidents in a short time, regardless of how small they are. Except that because both my parents were on the same policy as joint drivers, they deactivated the entire thing, meaning that my father was no longer insured to drive either. Big jerkoff move! They could have just removed her from the policy, or something, but not totally unexpected for an insurance company to be a prick like that I guess. But! They also did not inform either of my parents about their decision to deactivate my mother's policy, OR the fact that it meant that my father was also uninsured. Nothing whatsoever. My dad was driving without insurance for three months before he went to pay the upcoming premium and was told bluntly that he had no business with their company. We thanked God that he hadn't been pulled over in that time, because in Ontario, driving without insurance nets you a huge fine and a license suspension, followed by three years in which you are uninsurable (not legally, but no company will write you a policy) specifically for the offense of not having insurance. In the end he only lost the continuous coverage discount, meaning that the premiums only maybe, eh, doubled for three years or so.

There isn't a :fuckoff: big enough.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 12, 2013

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
re:datsun - I cant tell if this is gold or not, I need to see a freshly washed picture to find out I think.

edit: and ya know, paint would help too.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3410440628.html

Cage fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 12, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

not gold

blk
Dec 19, 2009

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GNX-/150977085254?item=150977085254&ViewItem=&forcev4exp=true#ht_29135wt_1168

Not my style, but holy crap.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I'm willing to bet the reserve for it is around the 150-200k mark.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

TrueChaos posted:

Ontario is loving stupid about stuff like this. They find out you've been to a trackday (even as just an HPDE day) say goodbye to your insurance. If they find that you autocross, say goodbye to your insurance. You modify your car and don't declare the modifications to your insurance, you'll be dropped. Hell, I had I switch insurance companies as a result of putting in a roll bar on the miata, as the insurance company wouldn't allow it. The only modifications they allow were different wheels, provided the wheels had winter tires on them, and were only used between November - May. Otherwise, you had to have your stock wheels on.

gently caress Ontario insurance.

So they won't let you add a safety feature to your car that keeps you from dying a horrible death in a rollover?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

So they won't let you add a safety feature to your car that keeps you from dying a horrible death in a rollover?

If you die, that costs them nothing. If you're merely injured, you will eventually make a claim.

Please do not wear seatbelts - this message paid for by the Insurance Council of America.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FIRST TIME posted:

Correct. Their perspective is that its a racing device, and therefore indicates the car will be "raced" and therefore they don't want to insure the vehicle. They're not entirely wrong, but the big deal in Ontario is that HDPE's are dicey insurance wise - the insurance companies are afraid they're going to get sued after a crash on the track... even though that hasn't happened yet.

Thankfully I found a company that's okay with the rollbar & bucket seats. They'll actually cover the replacement of the parts provided I declare them. It really seems to depend on who you talk to though, as another person at the same company all but said no. Thankfully the modifications are listed on my policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Falkenbok posted:

If you die, that costs them nothing. If you're merely injured, you will eventually make a claim.

Please do not wear seatbelts - this message paid for by the Insurance Council of America.

They don't get out of paying a claim because you die.