Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

White Rock posted:

Is this supposed to be satirical because honestly i can't tell.
no man, slacktivism is totes legit, my likes cure hunger and aids, they're like elf tears, a panacea in a button click

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

only white people are loving taco-crazy enough to fall for that poo poo.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
http://i.imgur.com/ePRo8.jpg

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The doughiest SEAL?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I'm glad the military so full of babies that they need a special military cosplay law so they don't have to fill out their hurt feelings reports because some fake seal gave them a boo boo.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dusseldorf posted:

I'm glad the military so full of babies that they need a special military cosplay law so they don't have to fill out their hurt feelings reports because some fake seal gave them a boo boo.

That was struck down last year as a First Amendment violation.

What series of images are these anyway? I found another one while searching about that one, the Microsoft-Office produced artwork adds an extra charm to it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Dusseldorf posted:

SCOTUS nuked that law the way pretty much everyone knew they would.

My governor looks uncannily like Judge Doom.

He also twice attempted to relate to black people by calling them poor and insulting their parents. Oh Rick!

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Apparently Jan. 19 is "Gun Appreciation day now. Two days before Obama's inauguration.

That's on a Saturday, can't wait to see what the body count is in Chicago that night

Photos of select homicides in the last two months in Chicago

Cozy Hemp Mines
May 16, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Misandrist Duck posted:

Why am I seeing pictures of dead people in my grey politics forum?

And here is a picture explaining why the South will never rise again.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Why am I seeing pictures of dead people in my grey politics forum?

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Misandrist Duck posted:

That's on a Saturday, can't wait to see what the body count is in Chicago that night

gently caress this loving city

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OWRRJh-PI
Michael D. Higgins vs. A Wanker

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

I love these guys because they're so over the top:

Why yes, I am an air force master sergeant with a silver star and three combat infantry awards only given to army soldiers, oh and I'm a pilot too. The best part about this guy was that he wore this on a military base.

Then there's this guy who's like a count all the things wrong with this picture. Bonus points for him being scolded with the knife hand.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what exactly is going on in those pictures? They're people pretending to be in the military but they're bad at it?

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Ron Jeremy posted:

I love these guys because they're so over the top:

Why yes, I am an air force master sergeant with a silver star and three combat infantry awards only given to army soldiers, oh and I'm a pilot too. The best part about this guy was that he wore this on a military base.

I'm bad at military badges, but I have some pics.

Never mind the macro, that's the only way I've found it so far.

I've heard this guy actually tries to fool people into thinking he's a military man, it might be just a rumour but it'd be pretty drat hilarious.

This guy became a commander at a very young age.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

So what exactly is going on in those pictures? They're people pretending to be in the military but they're bad at it?

For some reason, no one puts on a fake uniform and claims to be a HR file clerk. They're all navy seals with multiple medals of honor, but they can't figure out how to not wear two of the same ribbon. It's like a shibboleth for people who have served.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But why do they do it? Is it just as a costume at a party, or do they actually try to pretend to have served? Is it like a weird kind of military reenactment club? :psyduck:

"long live the commune!"

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

But why do they do it? Is it just as a costume at a party, or do they actually try to pretend to have served? Is it like a weird kind of military reenactment club? :psyduck:
It's America, man.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa

ekuNNN posted:

They want to get the respect afforded to people that have seen combat in the US armed forces, some are outright scam artists and others are delusional (people have been known to claim that they were in Vietnam even though they were in diapers in 1975).

"Glory to the Fatherland of Heroes!"
This one seems to only needed a little tweaking to become :smugsoviet: (first into space).

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Some of them do it because they want the attention and respect people give to servicemen and veterans. I knew a guy who claimed he was in the Marines but never went and he did it because he had all kinds of self image problems.

Most of my old Army buddies on Facebook get so mad about people doing that sort of thing but I just can't bring myself to care. If people want to play dress up I don't see why anyone should get upset about it.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Soviet Commubot posted:

Some of them do it because they want the attention and respect people give to servicemen and veterans. I knew a guy who claimed he was in the Marines but never went and he did it because he had all kinds of self image problems.

Most of my old Army buddies on Facebook get so mad about people doing that sort of thing but I just can't bring myself to care. If people want to play dress up I don't see why anyone should get upset about it.

It is really irritating to go through boot camp, put up with the clusterfuck that is the military and developing the personal identity of a service member, then seeing some imbecile throwing on a surplus uniform and claiming he's Captain America. It would be the same as someone pretending to be a priest or a doctor, and there is a reason why impersonating them is illegal as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
Sometimes it's not just playing dress-up, though. In some situations you can get special treatment or discounts and the like. It's kind of like fraud, unless it's clearly just for fashion or fun. But if I were a soldier, getting mad about it would be about item #98747471 on my list of priorities or things to be angry about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's kind of like going around telling everyone - friends, random strangers, future employers - that you're an MIT grad. You even have a fake diploma and a class ring you bought off ebay to back it up, and you have pretty good knowledge of a lot of the school's traditions and goings-on, though a real grad would be able to see the holes in your story. It's not going to get you into any real legal trouble if you get found out (though maybe MIT could sue your rear end?) but it's still a pretty dick thing to do.

I get kind of upset at it but it's more funny to me how oblivious they are to what the military is really like.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Nyyen posted:

It is really irritating to go through boot camp, put up with the clusterfuck that is the military and developing the personal identity of a service member, then seeing some imbecile throwing on a surplus uniform and claiming he's Captain America. It would be the same as someone pretending to be a priest or a doctor, and there is a reason why impersonating them is illegal as well.

It's not illegal to tell everyone you're a priest or a doctor and play-pretend. It's only illegal if you start treating people without a license. That seems fundamentally different to it being illegal to impersonate a service member in any context, even if you're not hurting anyone else. But didn't that get repealed this year anyway?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fandyien posted:

It's not illegal to tell everyone you're a priest or a doctor and play-pretend. It's only illegal if you start treating people without a license. That seems fundamentally different to it being illegal to impersonate a service member in any context, even if you're not hurting anyone else. But didn't that get repealed this year anyway?

The Stolen Valor Act banned fake military medals and made it a crime to falsely claim you had earned one. You could still tell people you were a soldier, just not a decorated one. It was struck down by SCOTUS last year.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the answers, they sound kind of sad :(

Nyyen posted:

developing the personal identity of a service member

:laugh:

also, a picture:
"Russian sergeants setting a clock to Moscow time in Germany (1945)"

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Nyyen posted:

Maybe it's because I've been out so long but unless they're committing fraud or something it doesn't really get me all worked up.

Fister Roboto posted:

I get kind of upset at it but it's more funny to me how oblivious they are to what the military is really like.

I find that the civilians with the biggest hardon for the military end up being the most horrified when they get a glimpse of how it actually is, like that dude in the GBS thread about Schwarzkopf who got all bent out of shape about phantom shitters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haHXgFU7qNI

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

ekuNNN posted:

Thanks for the answers, they sound kind of sad :(
It's kind of funny, though.

Like I bet this guy is uncomfortably warm and can't see/hear too well.:

And those guys would see this and think Wow if only that was me(!).

D&D Post:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

Women are definitely a factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCnzi6L_BsM

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

It's kind of funny, though.

Like I bet this guy is uncomfortably warm and can't see/hear too well.:

Could be worse.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Nyyen posted:

I had two friends who were fairly friendly with each other, one who was an infantryman for 4 years and the other who was going to join up. The latter washed out after 4 weeks of basic. When the first friend found out the second was still wearing his dog tags and yapping about his "army buddies", he quit talking to him entirely. It got even more hilarious when the second took some ROTC class and decided he was a master tactician after playing sojer in the woods for a couple of days before failing out of college entirely.

Soviet Commubot posted:

I find that the civilians with the biggest hardon for the military end up being the most horrified when they get a glimpse of how it actually is, like that dude in the GBS thread about Schwarzkopf who got all bent out of shape about phantom shitters.

Nothing like going through a friend's photos from his deployment in Kosovo and finding a picture of him with his cock stuck in his M203.

Anyway, enough of that, this video inspired more American pride in me than any number of insipid photo montages set to Skynyrd ever could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6KNjZmRLrY

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Nyyen posted:

No, someone pretending to be a doctor can actually do harm besides hurting your feelings.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Anyway, enough of that, this video inspired more American pride in me than any number of insipid photo montages set to Skynyrd ever could.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6KNjZmRLrY

I take it this was filmed on the northern border of Suadi Arabia during Desert Shield - those are Saddam's scuds on their war to Tel Aviv right? No really what the hell are those things flying overhead?

On claiming medals that are not earned: it's obviously a thing. New Zealand has had a law on the books since 1918, but only had the first prosecution for the offence last year. Enjoy the the po-faced news coverage.

New Zealand posted:

For years Don Moselen had been a stalwart of his community: president of the Otaki RSA and chairman of the town's community board.

But local war veterans began to have their suspicions when he appeared in a local newspaper claiming to have served in Vietnam, describing his work as "cloak and dagger stuff, a spook".

They noticed that the medals he wore to Anzac Day services were not in correct sequence and that he did not appear on any Defence Force lists of former soldiers. There were no records of him being awarded Vietnam medals.

They lodged an official complaint with police, which has now led to the 73-year-old's past life as a fraudster and arsonist being exposed.

Don Moselen, 73, pleaded guilty in the Levin District Court today to fraudulently using an Otaki RSA cheque to pay for a replica Vietnam War medal to be mounted.

He was sentenced to pay $63.20 to Otaki RSA and $500 to its welfare fund.

Otaki RSA executive member Peter Campbell described the sentence as "absolutely disgusting".

In May, Moselen was sentenced to pay $500 for wearing war medals he was not entitled to.

Moselen had previously pleaded guilty to wearing the New Zealand Operational Service Medal, The Vietnam Medal and the New Zealand General Service Medal.

It is believed that was the first time someone has been charged under the Military Decorations and Distinctive Badges Act 1918.

dusty fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2013

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Nothing like going through a friend's photos from his deployment in Kosovo and finding a picture of him with his cock stuck in his M203.

I assume the last part is onomatopoeia for an orgasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Happy 100th birthday, you bastard. :toot:

• Locked thread