Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

:aaaaa:

This is one conspiracy theory I want very badly to be true

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Same thing with a police state, there are legitimate concerns about privacy violations in the US, but cameras on the side of buildings are as far from the Nazi party as talking about politics in a beer hall.

Well, it's a bit more than cameras and privacy concerns when we have the FBI and DHS fabricating terrorist bomb plots and intimidating Somali teenagers and "anarchist" OWS supporters into carrying them out. Then there was the recently released documents about the collusion of the state with banking interests to surveil OWS, along with talk of assassination attempts on movement leaders. See also: The Green Scare, response to the Black Panthers, COINTELPRO, etc, etc. It's not just surveillance. It's intimidation that is specifically targeted at certain political groups. Maybe the US doesn't fit a rigid definition of "police state" but these activities and the fact that we have more people in prison than anywhere else in the world, and our law enforcement have unbelievably broad powers to incarcerate, harass, and generally make life miserable for undesirable people, makes it pretty drat close in my opinion.

e: Of course, Alex Jones gives zero shits about any of that but you know nuclear armed pedophile armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

:aaaaa:

This is one conspiracy theory I want very badly to be true

Well, he definitely looks way older than he's purported to be. I'll give them that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gatts posted:

Seriously. The first thought that went through my head was that there is no way I want that lunatic near a gun and that all guns should be banned if an insane, mentally deranged, rage filled nutso like him can get his hands on weapons. Ranting about revolutions and whatever ridiculous poo poo.

Yeah, I found myself thinking the same thing, along with something another goon posted a day or three ago about classic arguing/debating tactics, where you just spew and spew lie after lie and compounded nonsense and never shut up to the point that when it's the other guy's "turn", he doesn't even know where to begin deconstructing or rebutting anything because there's too much. I loathe Pierce Morgan, but I mean, that poo poo was just ridiculous.

Jones came off like he was trying to bait Morgan into reacting just so that he could claim the "See! look at this liberal hit piece" ground. That poo poo at the end when Jones started mocking Pierce's accent made me want to punch Alex in the face through the internet. What was all that "let's have a boxing match, 'Bud'" horseshit, out of nowhere. I give Morgan a lot of credit for simply not cutting off Alex's mic just to get a word in edgewise and rope him in a bit.

If Michael Moore or Bill Maher had behaved that way on O'Reilly or Hannity, it would be front page news in the "mainstream liberal media" and would have gone viral right now. CNN would be running clips of "insane pundit goes on frothing rant" but, as it stands, I'm sure the usual right wing lunatics will champion this retard for one reason or another and noting will come of it except a spike in Alex Jones' ratings. It wasn't just that the dude was checking off insane conspiracies one after the other, rattling around his printed statistics and refusing to answer simple questions without asking more ridiculous questions in return, it was that he just...would...not...shut..the gently caress up for more than 3 seconds and have an honest debate.

gently caress.

I'm still angry from watching that poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

How is this not exactly the same as, and therefore not exactly as illegal as music radio payola?

It's exactly the same. Payola isn't even illegal any more though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BiggerBoat posted:

Besides, wasn't Payola only enforced as punishment for playing Black musicians?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

No, payola is still illegal. It's conveniently narrowly defined though, same as always. FCC gave a wrist slap on one common way of getting around it a few years back if I remember right. It involved "independent" agents that got money from the labels, and then used that money to pay radio stations - CBS Radio, Citadel, Clear Channel, and Entercom had to collectively pay a $10 million fine for it in 2007, but no criminal prosecution.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

Well, he definitely looks way older than he's purported to be. I'll give them that.

And I thought Andy Kaufman coming back would've been big news, this would be amazing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ReidRansom posted:

Jesus he is supposed to be 38?

Anger has some serious health effects.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Sir Tonk posted:

And I thought Andy Kaufman coming back would've been big news, this would be amazing.

It would be the single greatest act of comedy ever performed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

I still believe that Andy Kaufman, after seeing Tropic Thunder while in hiding transformed himself into Herman Cain just to troll the gently caress out of the country.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

I still believe that Andy Kaufman, after seeing Tropic Thunder while in hiding transformed himself into Herman Cain just to troll the gently caress out of the country.

It reminds me of an article I read arguing that Herman Cain's entire campaign was a publicity stunt that deliberately self-destructed once it actually gained legitimacy.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Jesus he is supposed to be 38?

Anger has some serious health effects.

Yeah, it's hosed up, right? Dude already looked 45 when he was like 32.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I found myself thinking the same thing, along with something another goon posted a day or three ago about classic arguing/debating tactics, where you just spew and spew lie after lie and compounded nonsense and never shut up to the point that when it's the other guy's "turn", he doesn't even know where to begin deconstructing or rebutting anything because there's too much. I loathe Pierce Morgan, but I mean, that poo poo was just ridiculous.

Jones came off like he was trying to bait Morgan into reacting just so that he could claim the "See! look at this liberal hit piece" ground. That poo poo at the end when Jones started mocking Pierce's accent made me want to punch Alex in the face through the internet. What was all that "let's have a boxing match, 'Bud'" horseshit, out of nowhere. I give Morgan a lot of credit for simply not cutting off Alex's mic just to get a word in edgewise and rope him in a bit.

If Michael Moore or Bill Maher had behaved that way on O'Reilly or Hannity, it would be front page news in the "mainstream liberal media" and would have gone viral right now. CNN would be running clips of "insane pundit goes on frothing rant" but, as it stands, I'm sure the usual right wing lunatics will champion this retard for one reason or another and noting will come of it except a spike in Alex Jones' ratings. It wasn't just that the dude was checking off insane conspiracies one after the other, rattling around his printed statistics and refusing to answer simple questions without asking more ridiculous questions in return, it was that he just...would...not...shut..the gently caress up for more than 3 seconds and have an honest debate.

gently caress.

I'm still angry from watching that poo poo.

This actually is on CNN's homepage right now. Except it's "Guest Slams Piers" instead of "insane lunatic goes on rant".

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

ReidRansom posted:

How is this not exactly the same as, and therefore not exactly as illegal as music radio payola?

It's not illegal but it is unethical and exposes Beck (and Rush) as a shallow sellout and hypocrite for accusing everyone else of doing exactly what he does himself.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
And yet apparently the only thing that matters to their supporters, regardless of how many people they rip off and how much of their money they gorge themselves with, are whether they're helping republicans win and/or pushing ideology.

Only now that conservative pundits like Rove have failed so publicly and miserably has anyone bothered to start analyzing where all that money was going.

This type of behavior is absolutely cancerous to society. The blatant looting, manipulation, and looking the other way. I'm inclined to agree with poster The Entire Universe in that such cancer needs to be cut out before we can have anywhere near a functioning republic.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 9, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

It does make it a little more blatant just how morally and intellectually bankrupt anyone who takes Limbaugh or Beck seriously is though.

"Ha ha, your big hero is just selling his opinions to the highest bidder."

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sad thing is that neither will even have to deny it since their listeners would never believe anything from Mother Jones. And even if it were corroborated by multiple other sources, they'd just circle the wagons and call it a liberal smear campaign.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

That author is loving the tears so much. I'm also not sure if he understands how irony actually works:

This Article posted:

“I know to expect between $93 and $94 less in my paycheck on the 15th,” wrote the ironically named “RomneyLies.”

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Sad thing is that neither will even have to deny it since their listeners would never believe anything from Mother Jones. And even if it were corroborated by multiple other sources, they'd just circle the wagons and call it a liberal smear campaign.

Unfortunately they can't easily ignore it because the stuff on Rush and Beck having their opinions for sale has been coming largely from Dick Armey, who has been talking smack about freedomworks since he left with an expensive severance deal. :allears:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Their audience only has a problem with whoring yourself out to the highest bidder if it involves sex. If it's just to financially mislead people, that's fine, cause bootstraps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spacedad posted:

It does make it a little more blatant just how morally and intellectually bankrupt anyone who takes Limbaugh or Beck seriously is though.

"Ha ha, your big hero is just selling his opinions to the highest bidder."

They're being paid to be conservative hosts, they never were doing anything but selling opinions to the highest bidder.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I had a facebook friend rant about "low-information voters". I pointed out the irony of using a dittohead catchphrase to lampoon the other side as "low-information". His response was essentially "no u".

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Eulogistics posted:

That author is loving the tears so much. I'm also not sure if he understands how irony actually works:

Why would he be loving the tears so much? Was the GOP fighting to keep the payroll tax cut in place?

This is another reason why I dislike conservatives like this so much. The only thing they seem to care about is taxes, and yet they're so clueless that they don't even know the difference between payroll and income tax, let alone the mechanics behind marginal tax rates and marginal utility.

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Well, it's a bit more than cameras and privacy concerns when we have the FBI and DHS fabricating terrorist bomb plots and intimidating Somali teenagers and "anarchist" OWS supporters into carrying them out. Then there was the recently released documents about the collusion of the state with banking interests to surveil OWS, along with talk of assassination attempts on movement leaders. See also: The Green Scare, response to the Black Panthers, COINTELPRO, etc, etc. It's not just surveillance. It's intimidation that is specifically targeted at certain political groups. Maybe the US doesn't fit a rigid definition of "police state" but these activities and the fact that we have more people in prison than anywhere else in the world, and our law enforcement have unbelievably broad powers to incarcerate, harass, and generally make life miserable for undesirable people, makes it pretty drat close in my opinion.

e: Of course, Alex Jones gives zero shits about any of that but you know nuclear armed pedophile armies

Do you happen to have links to any info on this?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Any more it seems like Yahoo! is a right wing website. Maybe it's always been like this, but these people will politicize any news story at all. I was reading about the NYC ferry crash today and wondered if they could manage to make it political somehow.

Yahoo! yahoos posted:

"Looks like Mayor BlowBerg should be paying attention to ferrie safety instead of trying to tell law abiding americans to turn in their guns."

"We definitely need to ban fairies..."

"we need a congressional commitee to act on this quickly...maybe more laws banning ferrys"

"Bush's Fault!"

"Your more likely to crash into a fairy in San Francisco."

All from the first page. Isn't Yahoo! Just a generic, sort of neutral and rather dated news page? I never really knew it was like this, but I never really read the comments either, so I dunno.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

Any more it seems like Yahoo! is a right wing website. Maybe it's always been like this, but these people will politicize any news story at all. I was reading about the NYC ferry crash today and wondered if they could manage to make it political somehow.

All from the first page. Isn't Yahoo! Just a generic, sort of neutral and rather dated news page? I never really knew it was like this, but I never really read the comments either, so I dunno.

It's Drudge's favorite place to link to, for starters.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

It is because only technologically illiterate old people still have Yahoo as their home page. That demographic has a great deal of overlap with "crazy racist wingnut".

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's Drudge's favorite place to link to, for starters.

Speaking of the closeted Fedora wearing man, he's got a pretty subtle front page at the moment...

:godwin:

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004

Alex DeLarge posted:

Speaking of the closeted Fedora wearing man, he's got a pretty subtle front page at the moment...

hahaha Holy poo poo. Even for Drudge that's a bit much.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Alex DeLarge posted:

Ha ha jesus loving christ I'm going to die laughing. :wow:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You really think something like this would sink Limbaugh? He got caught buying drugs and admitted to be an addict a few years ago and it didn't hurt him one bit. His fans can explain away anything, as long as they get to keep listening.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

BiggerBoat posted:

I would think that comment sections are not the best place to gauge a site's political leanings, given how comment sections usually behave. Unless, of course, Yahoo! was running right-wing news, then it would be an indicator.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Just in case anyone can't get to Drudge at work. I think this is the lowest he has ever stooped?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Token Cracker posted:

hahaha Holy poo poo. Even for Drudge that's a bit much.

Jon Stewart last night brought up that pro-gun people were afraid of an imaginary Hitler.

That might be where Drudge is getting it from.

Also, I don't think Yahoo polices it's comments as well as other sites. Then again, it seems like pretty much any comments section becomes a haven for the far-right.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Flaggy posted:

Just in case anyone can't get to Drudge at work. I think this is the lowest he has ever stooped?

Don't forget the important accessory links, they really tie it all together.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vertical Lime posted:

Jon Stewart last night brought up that pro-gun people were afraid of an imaginary Hitler.

That might be where Drudge is getting it from.

Also, I don't think Yahoo polices it's comments as well as other sites. Then again, it seems like pretty much any comments section becomes a haven for the far-right.

What is the term for paying people to troll comment sections with political propaganda? I can't remember for the life of me, but I have to imagine this goes on in all prominent comments sections.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
I really am interested in the phenomenon of commentators on articles- how few or many there are, their volume of activity and their extremity. I just don't know how exactly it could be studied in a scientific way.

I hypothesise there is a wingnut population that absolutely dominate the volume of such material

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nachos posted:

What is the term for paying people to troll comment sections with political propaganda? I can't remember for the life of me, but I have to imagine this goes on in all prominent comments sections.

Astroturfing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Astroturf isn't wrong, really, but Sockpuppet is a little more specific to that practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, that's sockpuppeting. (Which isn't necessarily paid, and can mean other things.) Wrong.

Sockpuppeting = Creating multiple accounts pretending to be other people - anything from creating them to agree with you and create a fake bandwagon, or to act as strawmen foils for your arguments. Also as trolls to manipulate or piss off other posters. Also often used to evade bans.

Astroturf = A group claiming to be grassroots that isn't grassroots at all, and artificially created to resemble grassroots.

The term we're looking for is buzz marketing or undercover marketing - which is people who are paid to create buzz about a product/company or advance political views pretending to be ordinary posters, twitterers, chatters, or commenters.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 9, 2013