Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Impaired Casing posted:

In the second Horus book, where he's stabbed and dying, the A-Team of apothecaries had no idea what they were doing. I think it even goes to say that a primarch has organs that they never even heard of. So I don't think so. But on the subject of Guilliman, does it go into detail on how he died, aside from it was Fulgrim? Because maybe he is fine, and can heal from his slit throat if they let him out. Since, you know, Fulgrim's foot was burned off and then regrew.

Also, I am almost done with that Ahriman: Exile book. Or whatever it is titled. Talk about a man with a guilty conscience.

There's a comment in the Thousand Sons book, where Ahriman(?) mentions that Magnus doesn't have organs. That's he basically a great psychich force, bound inside a meat shell. It wouldn't surprise me if the Primarchs are basically Daemon hosts wherein the Emperor bound powerful warp entities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

There's a comment in the Thousand Sons book, where Ahriman(?) mentions that Magnus doesn't have organs. That's he basically a great psychic force, bound inside a meat shell. It wouldn't surprise me if the Primarchs are basically Daemon hosts wherein the Emperor bound powerful warp entities.

That may explain why he never bothered to tell the primarchs anything.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Demiurge4 posted:

There's a comment in the Thousand Sons book, where Ahriman(?) mentions that Magnus doesn't have organs. That's he basically a great psychich force, bound inside a meat shell. It wouldn't surprise me if the Primarchs are basically Daemon hosts wherein the Emperor bound powerful warp entities.

On the other hand when Curze was beat up, the Night Lords tried healing him but their apothecaries noted he had organs they have never seen before.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Scoobi posted:

On the other hand when Curze was beat up, the Night Lords tried healing him but their apothecaries noted he had organs they have never seen before.

Everything is hosed up in 40k. Although it makes me wonder if none of the primarchs ran an anatomy check on themselves to understand how they were built. It would make sense for some of the more practically minded ones, but in all the books every apothecary just goes "oh poo poo what do we do? Call the Emperor!" because nobody ever imagined their Primarch could so much as break a bone.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Demiurge4 posted:

Everything is hosed up in 40k. Although it makes me wonder if none of the primarchs ran an anatomy check on themselves to understand how they were built. It would make sense for some of the more practically minded ones, but in all the books every apothecary just goes "oh poo poo what do we do? Call the Emperor!" because nobody ever imagined their Primarch could so much as break a bone.

Pffft, if the Emperor is powerful enough to bind daemons or other massive psychic forces into a crunchy primarch shell, surely he can remotely influence their self-diagnostics to appear as if they were generally of similar type as the Astartes. Retcon complete, next plot hole?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just assume that the Emperor doesn't tell people because he doesn't want them trying to copy his work. That or go Sauron/Voldemort on it and call them fragments of his essence or whatever.

Socal Sapper
Jan 5, 2013
So I don't want to go through 47 pages of comments to see if you have covered the Soul Drinkers yet, so here it goes.

What do you guys think of these books and in general the Soul Drinkers place in the 40k universe? As for my opinion, I really have some mixed emotions about these guys (as I'm sure everybody did) but ultimately I wanted them to succeed in their quest.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Each book is worse than the last, and it galls me the ineptitutde with which they were written that a 2nd founding chapter wouldn't be able to identify corruption within themselves until a loving greater daemon itself showed up to ask them if growing spider legs didn't tip them off enough.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nephilm posted:

Each book is worse than the last, and it galls me the ineptitutde with which they were written that a 2nd founding chapter wouldn't be able to identify corruption within themselves until a loving greater daemon itself showed up to ask them if growing spider legs didn't tip them off enough.

On the plus side I went and looked up the wiki and they all die with the hero characters disappearing never to be heard from again.

Socal Sapper
Jan 5, 2013

Nephilm posted:

Those are pretty much my thoughts on the mutations. No inner dialogue among the chapter to say "Hey guys, I grew a claw on my penis. Is this ok?".

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Thanks for reminding me. I wouldn't say failure equals death. You think Angron wanted anything to do with that staircase? At best he probably would only attempt it if he got to attack the Emperor at the end.
Seriously the Emperor's treatment of Angron is probably his biggest mistake as a God-Dad.
I don't know - it kind of seemed like it was implied that if you didn't make it, you didn't get to go on the Great Crusade. I could be reading into it though.

Demiurge4 posted:

Everything is hosed up in 40k. Although it makes me wonder if none of the primarchs ran an anatomy check on themselves to understand how they were built.
In Angel Exterminatus, there is a scene with Perturabo and Fulgrim, where Fulgrim notices an anatomical chart on the wall showing a Primarch's makeup. Fulgrim notes that he really doesn't remember any of that stuff from before the Scattering. Interestingly though, a later scene has the finding of Fulgrim on Chemos, and the guy who sees him first can't comprehend what he's looking at. Fulgrim is kind of a bright light, with a bunch of symbols and a vision of an eagle. Then, poof! - baby.

So yeah, maybe the Primarchs are more than (albeit heavily modified) flesh and blood.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know - it kind of seemed like it was implied that if you didn't make it, you didn't get to go on the Great Crusade. I could be reading into it though.

In Angel Exterminatus, there is a scene with Perturabo and Fulgrim, where Fulgrim notices an anatomical chart on the wall showing a Primarch's makeup. Fulgrim notes that he really doesn't remember any of that stuff from before the Scattering. Interestingly though, a later scene has the finding of Fulgrim on Chemos, and the guy who sees him first can't comprehend what he's looking at. Fulgrim is kind of a bright light, with a bunch of symbols and a vision of an eagle. Then, poof! - baby.

So yeah, maybe the Primarchs are more than (albeit heavily modified) flesh and blood.

I haven't read Angel Exterminatus yet, but it would imply that the primarchs arrived on their planets as blank slates, or a force of energy in Fulgrims case, and then immediately absorbed physical traits to match the population. For example, Conrad Curze has the same black eyes as the natives of his planet.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Socal Sapper posted:

Those are pretty much my thoughts on the mutations. No inner dialogue among the chapter to say "Hey guys, I grew a claw on my penis. Is this ok?".

Sarpedon: It's the Imperium's fault. They put your penis up to this. Just think wholesome thoughts and you'll be fine.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Impaired Casing posted:

Also, I am almost done with that Ahriman: Exile book. Or whatever it is titled. Talk about a man with a guilty conscience.

Is it any good?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

There was always talk of "maturation pods" so I could see it being some form of Star Trek thing where Picard accidentally caused that alien thing to mould itself into his perfect woman.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Schneider Heim posted:

Is it any good?

I finished it earlier, and I enjoyed it. The cast of characters is small, but are fleshed out well enough. What I liked best about it was the portrayal of Ahriman himself. It starts with him already in exile, pretending to be anyone but Ahriman, hiding among random bands of sorcerers and renegades. He feels, basically, like crap for what he did to the Thousand Suns, and it shows. It's not mind blowing with any revelations in it, and I don't wish to spoil who shows up in it, but I am not sure if they are big names in WH40k or just some random characters that show up, but I still found it very cool.

Plus, the flash back to when he cast the Rubic spell was really short, but really, really sweet. I'd recommend it, especially if you enjoyed the HH novel Thousand Suns, since it's a continuation of that adaptation of Ahriman, rather than what the Lexicanum wikia describes him as.

Edit: I should add that I have no idea when the book takes place. Obviously time is fluid in the Eye of Terror, where it takes place, but Ahriman meets an Inquisitor at one point and has no idea what the Inquisition is. He does, however, say he doubts any of the Imperium remembers his name, so it's a bit iffy when it takes place.

Double Edit: Quick question, is that very old book "Space Marine" any good, or is it too dated? I liked the Inquisition War by the same guy, even though it was a little weird.

Impaired Casing fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 10, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Impaired Casing posted:

Double Edit: Quick question, is that very old book "Space Marine" any good, or is it too dated? I liked the Inquisition War by the same guy, even though it was a little weird.

The Space Marine novel is rad as hell, very homoerotic, full of crazy poo poo and probably nails the alien-ness of the marines better than anything I've ever read. If I remember correctly, there's a scene when the main character strips his arm to the bone to do some idle scrimshaw.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Impaired Casing posted:

I finished it earlier, and I enjoyed it. The cast of characters is small, but are fleshed out well enough. What I liked best about it was the portrayal of Ahriman himself. It starts with him already in exile, pretending to be anyone but Ahriman, hiding among random bands of sorcerers and renegades. He feels, basically, like crap for what he did to the Thousand Suns, and it shows. It's not mind blowing with any revelations in it, and I don't wish to spoil who shows up in it, but I am not sure if they are big names in WH40k or just some random characters that show up, but I still found it very cool.

Plus, the flash back to when he cast the Rubic spell was really short, but really, really sweet. I'd recommend it, especially if you enjoyed the HH novel Thousand Suns, since it's a continuation of that adaptation of Ahriman, rather than what the Lexicanum wikia describes him as.

Edit: I should add that I have no idea when the book takes place. Obviously time is fluid in the Eye of Terror, where it takes place, but Ahriman meets an Inquisitor at one point and has no idea what the Inquisition is. He does, however, say he doubts any of the Imperium remembers his name, so it's a bit iffy when it takes place.

Ah, that's good to hear. I'll get it as soon as I finish up with my current load.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh man, Know no Fear. Abnett does not dissapoint. :stare:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My favorite passage in Know No Fear is Erebus summoning daemons, who are a lot and are named rather creatively. And Torgaddon, or at least his headless corpse, is one of them. I'd reach for it if I could but I've lent it to a friend, who probably hasn't finished it yet. Argh.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Schneider Heim posted:

My favorite passage in Know No Fear is Erebus summoning daemons, who are a lot and are named rather creatively. And Torgaddon, or at least his headless corpse, is one of them. I'd reach for it if I could but I've lent it to a friend, who probably hasn't finished it yet. Argh.

If there's one thing that genuinely bugs me about the Horus Heresy series, it's that Erebus is going to get away with his dickery completely. I want somebody to wreck his poo poo in the worst way, since the Heresy is basically his fault.

Edit: I'm pretty sure there are no Ork novels, but are there any short stories from the perspective of an Ork, or with Ork protagonists? All I know of that feature Orks as the protagonists is that awesome Deff Skwadron comic.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 10, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Edit: I'm pretty sure there are no Ork novels, but are there any short stories from the perspective of an Ork, or with Ork protagonists? All I know of that feature Orks as the protagonists is that awesome Deff Skwadron comic.

There was one in Fear the Alien, though I can't remember the title. It's about some kommandos who attack an Imperial installation. It wasn't bad, if I remember correctly. Other than that, there isn't much out there from the Ork perspective, unless you can get your hands on the old 40K fluff books like Waaaagh - the Orks! or Freebootaz.

GW stated some time ago that they weren't going to do stories from and Ork or Tyranid perspective, because their mindsets are too "alien." Personally, I think it was that the Orks were becoming comic relief with the cockney accents, and GW wanted to make them more brutal.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VanSandman posted:

If there's one thing that genuinely bugs me about the Horus Heresy series, it's that Erebus is going to get away with his dickery completely. I want somebody to wreck his poo poo in the worst way, since the Heresy is basically his fault.

... Read Betrayer.

And I have to say that No Know Fear is probably the best book in the series, not just for quality of writing, but for the sort of feeling it sells. With Horus Rising we just start right off the bat with the focus on the Luna Wolves and them already being three quarters of the way to Chaos. The build up to Horus is minimal, and everyone else is just a cameo. You are expected to know what has gone on before and roll with it. And it makes sense, this is the Horus Heresy series, you need to get to the Heresy quick.

But Know No Fear does an important bit, with the first third of the book or so focused instead on the Imperium. We see that they are actually building something great and prosperous and peaceful. The people are happy. You get a real feel for what the Emperor's dream was. That's what gives the betrayal and it all going to hell so much punch. You need hope to really see despair, serenity to feel the chaos. The original 3 books, well angry guys fighting their enemies start fighting different enemies. It doesn't sell the tragedy of what was happening. We see Gulliman before the war, in all his glory, and after the attack, filled with wrath and rage. Horus was always wrath rage and pride, we never saw him as the best of the primarchs, we are just told he was.

We need some like flashback books to characterize out the primarchs and the Imperium prior to the fall more. Know No Fear does it well, and between First Heretic and Betrayer it did a good job of fleshing out Lorgar and Angron and their fall. Prince of Crows kinda did it with Cruze, I'd like more though. I am hoping that Unremembered Empire and Master of Mankind will do the same.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 10, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

VanSandman posted:

There was a CYOA on here that was pretty great, written completely from the Ork perspective.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fried Chicken posted:

... Read Betrayer.

He gets awaaaaay

Keeping the brutality of the Orks is easy. Just have them go after the chaos marines or Dark Eldar, or hell even Tau, and show off their brutal cunnin' as they rip whole limbs off and beat their enemies to death with them.

Basically when not in a fight Orks are funny. In a fight they are :black101: as hell. It's that contrast that makes them interesting.

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

... Read Betrayer.

*words*

Yeah definitely agree with all you've said. When I read the Horus Heresy books I'm really not that interested in "badass space battles" as much as I am in the Primarchs and their relationships with other Primarchs and legions.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

SquadronROE posted:

There was a CYOA on here that was pretty great, written completely from the Ork perspective.

You have a link to that?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SquadronROE posted:

I already read that. There's a lot of quality Ork fanfiction, and it's a shame the Black Library is somehow to scared to write an Ork book. The whole point of the 40k universe is the hilarious brutality of the far future. Orks are both hilariously brutal and brutally hilarious. They are the most 40k thing in 40k.

Here's the story: It's AWESOME Being Green: An Ork CYOA
Featuring Aristorkrates, and his quest to figure out which is bettah: Brutal cunnin' or cunnin' brutality. Through much repeated application of both.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 11, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VanSandman posted:

There are a few in the old 2nd ed starter box books. Some of them are pretty funny.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

lenoon posted:

The Space Marine novel is rad as hell, very homoerotic, full of crazy poo poo and probably nails the alien-ness of the marines better than anything I've ever read. If I remember correctly, there's a scene when the main character strips his arm to the bone to do some idle scrimshaw.

You weren't kidding. I'm half way done with it, and it is unlike any other WH40k novel I've read, save for Inquisition War by the same author. I have no clue what you call the narrative style it uses, but it is like how Charles Dickens wrote, asking the reader questions, going on asides, using analogies in the most bizarre way. Plus the Marines are so... Well, alien, like you said. Having read Space Wolf not too long ago, it is like night and day. There is zero ways to relate to the marines in this book. Everything is just so... Off. And it is fantastic.

Plus it has squats.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And I finished Know no Fear. Best Horus Heresy book right there. Are they retconning Ollanius Pious back into existance? I mean, yeah, he's isn't exactly human anymore, but still.

And every time Abnett does some kind of callback to previous books, or explains why something is so and so in the current timeline (like the red Sergeant helmets) my inner nerd smiles.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It does pain me that the first Ultramarine novel of the HH series was so great when DA and other cooler legions get lumped with lovely authors.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Big Willy Style posted:

It does pain me that the first Ultramarine novel of the HH series was so great when DA and other cooler legions get lumped with lovely authors.

Look at it this way - the Ultramarines needed the most help to become cool

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Azran posted:

And I finished Know no Fear. Best Horus Heresy book right there. Are they retconning Ollanius Pious back into existance? I mean, yeah, he's isn't exactly human anymore, but still.

And every time Abnett does some kind of callback to previous books, or explains why something is so and so in the current timeline (like the red Sergeant helmets) my inner nerd smiles.

If you've also done The First Heretic (and Aurelian), it's time for Betrayer.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The entire plot of Pariah is Eisenhorn v Ravenor. So I don't understand people's complaints that there is not enough of that. Admittedly it takes a bit to figure out that is what is happening.

Also a question: what the hell was the City of Dust?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I just finished reading The Siege of Castellax, it was alright.

I kinda feel blueballed because what could have been the best part of the story doesn't end up happping at all and only given a single sentence later in the book.That is the Iron Warriors having possession of a comatose alpha-level pysker that even they're afraid to risk waking up. The author really dropped the ball on this. It also seemed Werner doen't really know how long a kilometer is. Two examples: An Obliterator single-handedly defending a 3km stretch of wall during a massive WAAAAGH!!!! and a space marine picking people off with a bolt pistol at 2.5km.

Maybe they can do that, I dunno.

How is Gildars Rift?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Nephilm posted:

If you've also done The First Heretic (and Aurelian), it's time for Betrayer.

Haven't read either of those either. :shobon: Got two ASOIAF books and A Thousand Sons to read first. Then I'll get The First Heretic and The Emperor's Gift.

Big Willy Style posted:

Wait, the first? :raise: What about the abomination known as Battle for the Abyss? :v:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ego-bot posted:

How is Gildars Rift?

Terrible. Silver Skulls are unremarkable and Huron is a Saturday Morning Cartoon villain.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Azran posted:

Wait, the first? :raise: What about the abomination known as Battle for the Abyss? :v:

We don't talk about that.

Also, Know No Fear is kind of a sequel to The First Heretic (and Aurelian), but it isn't that connected to be too detrimental; Betrayer is a direct sequel to both TFH and KNF, however, so you definitely should read The First Heretic beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Azran posted:

It never existed

I don't know much about the lore but in the time line of the Heresy it feels way to out of place.
World Bearers beginning the assualt on Ultramar, and the Ultramarine ship has a Space Wolf, a World Eater, and a Thousand Son on board? Pretty sure Prospero happened before the first salvo was fired so the son of Russ would have eaten the thousand son on principle. No matter how many oath of moments he swore to Terra after the fact. Hell was there even any loyal thousands sons after Prospero? I know Garro was a loyal Death Guard and there are a few Luna Wolves, but there has been no hint on any of the other legions having a few go rogue and remain loyal.