Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Monomi is a stuffed animal/robot. She, if "she" is correct in this instance, is not dead. It's just a question as to how long it takes to get another one over to the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Welp, I guess Monomi is out of the game. Unless it's a fake-out and she will return later, because her theme is too good to already let go. Also, it seems like Togami will take command now, or at least for the moment.

Oh yeah, and this.

orenronen posted:

Kyahaha! A dream! What a dummy!
Who the hell would act like this at a time like this, stop being weird Hiyoko :gonk:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
There's something about a stuffed bear using a mechanical dragon with machine guns to kill a stuffed rabbit that appeals to me on a deep level.

That opening was pretty great. As long as it took, it really kicked off the game pretty well. I hope it can keep up the momentum.

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012
The Opening is such a strange thing because it's not even very accurate for the SHSLs of each character. Gundam has fricking magic circles, and Nidai is covered in fire.

Although, it's entertaining as gently caress.

Also everyone has great face. I love it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Togami is going to be my least favorite character again, not that that says much since all of the characters are pretty drat good

Poor Usami, I wonder if whoever was controlling her is going to be able to continue influencing the game in other ways

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really hope Monobear piloting a jet and launching a ridiculous anime missile cluster is a thing that happens in the game.

I hope it's not spoiling one of the executions though.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

YES. This opening is absolutely beautiful after the dating sim one.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
In that opening, I saw a countdown timer on a circular object (bomb?), a splatter of blood for Nagito where others had totally innocent stars and such, and a giant army of Monobears. Amazing.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012

metropoliszone posted:

The Opening is such a strange thing because it's not even very accurate for the SHSLs of each character. Gundam has fricking magic circles, and Nidai is covered in fire.

I'm more concerned about what the hell is going on with Nagito there. :stare:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I thought the most interesting thing about the OP was that it seemed to show glimpses of Monoworld what with Monobear standing among the ruins of a city.

My favourite part of it was Togami's :smug: face though.

I dunno if it's just me but Monobear seems to be more of an evil little shithead this time whereas last game he felt more.... whimsical? alien? Less comprehensible and thus less malicious, despite all that he did. Maybe it's just a matter of the character having a history by now.

And Monomi is probably not permanently gone being a robotic character, and but there is the weird little matter that if she has backup bodies like Monobear did in the last game, they'd probably still be Usami? I guess we'll see.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

"Monomi...your staff is broken."

Hah, so the "good" mascot dies first. Of course she does: it'd be a shame to waste one of these characters to show that Monobear is out for blood, and really, the Despair game wouldn't be as horrifying if there was another robot ostensibly being piloted just like Monobear except she's on the students' side.

There's still the possibility of her coming back though, and it's ripe for plot twists and stuff since it could've been all planned out to further rub it in the students' faces that both these goddamn robot animals could be just loving with them.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Nooooooooooooooooooo, Monomi!

I hope we see more of Monomi in the future. She can't possibly be the only model of that animal, and therefore be dead so early... can she?

In the mean time, this is now my new work background

Though having a larger copy of this would be awesome.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
So, from the intro: Gundam is a necromancer, Tsumiki is a dude(the male and female symbols near her), and Usami is probably not dead at all.

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 9, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WhalerWren posted:

I'm more concerned about what the hell is going on with Nagito there. :stare:

The only idea I can come up with is that he's another return, or at least is aware of the Most Despair Inducing Incident, hell he might even be the other survivor that DR0 mentioned. drat if that intro video wasn't a giant welcome back to this world though, I got chills just thinking about what's to come.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm wondering if there are spoiler-y things now possible in the opening video.

One thing I found notable was that at 0:47, you can definitely see some of the students standing like the bit in the first game when the students were watching Leon's execution. There are a lot fewer there, too, so I'm not sure if that's a major spoiler as to who survives or if the developers are just pulling our leg.

Either way, I doubt we've seen the end of Monomi. Monobear wasn't so easily destroyed.

Also, there is no incentive for people to get off the island yet - the last game, they were trapped inside a school, but here they're on a tropical island of all places. Unless Monobear's going with the family hook again, not much reason for them to want to kill.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
That was absolutely amazing- I can't wait for the proper game to start, now. I just want to say, though- I don't think we should tear the opening video apart too much. When you're actually playing it, it just flashes by and the game continues, but with the format of the LP it's really easy to over analyze any tiny piece of info we get. I don't want things to get spoiled just because they showed up in the intro too fast for anyone to notice on their first view. Stuff like that happened with DR1 and I know I'd personally rather not have that happen again.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I've noticed about Togami's behaviour: he seems more willing to talk with others this time around. This time, without Naegi, he has taken the initiative to attempt to unite people, instead of locking himself in the library like in the previous game.

metropoliszone
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm wondering if there are spoiler-y things now possible in the opening video.

One thing I found notable was that at 0:47, you can definitely see some of the students standing like the bit in the first game when the students were watching Leon's execution. There are a lot fewer there, too, so I'm not sure if that's a major spoiler as to who survives or if the developers are just pulling our leg.

Well, there's only two rows of people, so maybe people are just behind them?

Or maybe all executions are shown on a television.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Ok just gonna say that Tropical Despair is a pretty kickass theme!

About this update, one good thing I got from the Monomi thing is that it's highly likely know that the game won't pull the "Junko" card again and make one student die from Monobear, since I think Monomi served that role well even she comes back right in the next update.

And yes Togami is taking charge now! I really hope he decides to be the leader again.

Oh also that Mioda sprite is awesome, my favorite one so far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I've noticed about Togami's behaviour: he seems more willing to talk with others this time around. This time, without Naegi, he has taken the initiative to attempt to unite people, instead of locking himself in the library like in the previous game.

Well we don't know if there's a library yet.

metropoliszone posted:

Well, there's only two rows of people, so maybe people are just behind them?

Or maybe all executions are shown on a television.

This was my thought, I don't see anything even remotely execution like in there so I'm assuming they all watch it like that rather than being there in person. I want to hope people aren't going to go through the video frame by frame looking for poo poo but drat I know it's going to happen.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

BioEnchanted posted:

njsykora posted:

Well we don't know if there's a library yet.

Also there aren't any dead bodies for him to be artistically arranging and posing... yet. All that's left of Monomi is her bow.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Monomi's death was so shocking even the hamsters fainted!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
God drat... this game is brilliant. It just knows what we expect, and then just rips them to shreds. After bringing in Monomi, I figured she was going to stuck around for a while but nope! Let's kill her in the next scene!

...so, how many times is Fedule going to get a new avatar in this LP? Speaking of which, isn't there a website that can tell you what avatars a goon had previous? Anyone have a link to that?

Baita
Oct 18, 2012

But it's not like this is the last time we'll have a chance to talk. We'll try again later.

metropoliszone posted:

Although, it's entertaining as gently caress.

Also everyone has great face. I love it.

Gundam has a magic circle in a couple parts of the video because he has 'Middle-Schooler Syndrome', shown earlier by his speech and wardrobe. Nidai is on fire because of his 'burning passion' that coaches in anime sometimes to have.

Quick question, does Hinata have any future sprites where he has a scar or bandage from that stray bullet in the trials? Or does the game just ignore it and continue using the one he already has?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I keep thinking that this opening sequence would work so, so much better in a game that wasn't a sequel.

If you've played the first game, you're expecting things to change and turn violent. The "field trip" is a surprise, but you're still looking for signs it's really sinister at pretty much every moment. The problem is, nothing happens before Monobear appears. You get introductions, there's one scene, then bam, robots. It would take maybe an hour to get here if you were playing yourself. That's barely enough time to get settled in the game, let alone drop your guard. Monobear appearing doesn't subvert your expectations, it meets them. Was anyone really surprised when Monobear showed up? It really could have used another hour or two of peace and relaxation before flipping things like this.

On the other hand, if this was a new game and you knew nothing, then you wouldn't expect it. They could afford to be brief with the peace, because Monobear would be a genuine surprise instead of an inevitable event.

I don't know. The opening just seems so pointless... Like they made the rest of the game, then someone came up with this, and they decided to add it to the game just as they ran out of time and budget.

Oh well. At least Ocean Breeze Dead End is awesome. I'll just try to forget the first part of the game existed.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

orenronen posted:

Abuabuabuabuabu... It's just the opening... but Monomi is already dead...!
Not only did he kill Monomi, he also gave Ibuki Rabies!

Seriously though, is she foaming at the mouth or did some of Monomi's stuffing just end up there?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Looks like over the top foaming at the mouth to me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Einander posted:

I keep thinking that this opening sequence would work so, so much better in a game that wasn't a sequel.

If you've played the first game, you're expecting things to change and turn violent. The "field trip" is a surprise, but you're still looking for signs it's really sinister at pretty much every moment. The problem is, nothing happens before Monobear appears. You get introductions, there's one scene, then bam, robots. It would take maybe an hour to get here if you were playing yourself. That's barely enough time to get settled in the game, let alone drop your guard. Monobear appearing doesn't subvert your expectations, it meets them. Was anyone really surprised when Monobear showed up? It really could have used another hour or two of peace and relaxation before flipping things like this.

On the other hand, if this was a new game and you knew nothing, then you wouldn't expect it. They could afford to be brief with the peace, because Monobear would be a genuine surprise instead of an inevitable event.

I don't know. The opening just seems so pointless... Like they made the rest of the game, then someone came up with this, and they decided to add it to the game just as they ran out of time and budget.

Oh well. At least Ocean Breeze Dead End is awesome. I'll just try to forget the first part of the game existed.

To be fair, we're not playing the game so we don't have an idea of roughly how long the intro itself lasts. Maybe it's enough time for someone who is not very familiar with the first game to be lulled into a false sense of security, and for familiar people to start wondering what's going on, and if the game really did turn into a dating sim.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
Poor Monomi... Also, holy gently caress, Monobear didn't give two shits about the possibility of gunning down anybody else with that; Hinata got a drama-grazing from the onslaught.

...Also, Togami, you *dick*. I think the chance of him being the original Togami is closer to nil now because this one's pulling the same poo poo as the original did, only Togami the first grew out of it by the end of DR1. Yes, yes, mind-wiping character development is a staple of this series and true, he could be acting, but...

While what they did with it was *fascinating*, one of the hangs ups I have about DR1/DR in general is the dual purpose of memory-wiping shenanigans. On the one hand, you kinda need that in order to successfully build the suspense and mystery properly, but on the other, at least with Junko and DR1, it's also a dirty loving cheat. In order to prove her point about despair, she had to rob the characters of what development they had prior to the game start so they would even *consider* killing each other, and the she brings on the coercion. Thus it made her entire point based on lies and half-truths, which even if she'd won in DR1, it invalidates her message.

...So with DR2, and specifically the mystery of Togami's identity in mind, can you *really* get away with doing the mind wipe twice?

TKMobile fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 9, 2013

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Einander posted:

While it's true that the importance of the introduction isn't immediately obvious, we just got past the prologue. We're several months too early in the game to start calling any aspect of it pointless.

I wish there was more to discuss about the game, but it's just beginning and everyone reading the thread already has a basic understanding of the premise.

Tombolo
Oct 13, 2012

Einander posted:

I think it would take a very, very long time to get me to drop my guard like that, and by that point I'd either be so attached to the "field trip" that the murder game would feel like an intrusion, or I'd be bored and feeling like the game was wasting my time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I didn't expect the game to have two openings (and a NEW version of the Dangan Ronpa theme. I love the music). That's clever, all right. Points to Hinata for not passing out after getting grazed by a bullet. That nurse should probably take a look at it, though, so he doesn't get a scar.

And uh, "(Where) are you? (R.)I.P. (I will) find you" apparently written in blood? :stare: That's really unexpected, and makes that character even more interesting.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mr.Flibble posted:

Not only did he kill Monomi, he also gave Ibuki Rabies!

Seriously though, is she foaming at the mouth or did some of Monomi's stuffing just end up there?

Yeah, it's the "foaming mouth" thingie.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That nurse should probably take a look at it, though, so he doesn't get a scar.

:psyduck:
It's anime, of course he'll get a scar. They always do.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Call Now posted:

:psyduck:
It's anime, of course he'll get a scar. They always do.
Well it'd only make sense that he'll get a scar, we're talking about a bullet, fired from a high speed minigun aimed at a robotic stuffed rabbit, the minigun of course being red hot at the speed it's going at.

If he didn't get a scar from a stray bullet slicing into his face, that'd be the biggest twist we've seen so far. :v:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Migishu posted:

Though having a larger copy of this would be awesome.

Not sure if it's different from the sequel, but here's the hi-res version of it from iOS Dangan Ronpa 1.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ah, it's so good to hear the main Dangan Ronpa theme music again! And I'm glad that Monomi could fill in the fake Junko role, so we won't be down an extra character so early.

What stood out to me the most in this update though, was Hajime's thoughts - how he wasn't sure about himself, if he wouldn't be tempted to kill as well. It really underlines how different our protaganist is this time around.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I'm not sure if Togami's comments made everything better or worse.

Because, yeah being mindful of your own emotional state and making sure that you don't slip into the kind of despairing panic that Monobear wants is important, but he just instantly made everyone so loving paranoid with each other.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

My eagle-eyed forums buddy Tuxedo Ted pointed out that there are bloody letters flashing behind Nagito for just a moment during the intro video.

...I think Nagito might be in trouble. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Pester posted:

My eagle-eyed forums buddy Tuxedo Ted pointed out that there are bloody letters flashing behind Nagito for just a moment during the intro video.

...I think Nagito might be in trouble. :tinfoil:

I'm hoping they just paired up the characters with random backgrounds to avoid spoilers, but you never know.

• Locked thread