Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Hotline Miami's still under the three month rule until later this month. For some reason I thought it'd come out even later than late October, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

^^^^^: :argh:

It hasn't quite been three months yet so you might wanna hold off on posting a thread til then. Critique on the video once I actually watch it.

You get a bit loud for your mic at times so I'd say lower the sensitivity. Lower the ingame volume or use autoducking so we can hear you. The music of the game is good but not if we can't hear you.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 9, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Ramagamma posted:

Recorded my first LP the other night of Hotline Miami. The only glaringly obvious flaws to me are that I jump in a little quickly, I'm perhaps trying to rush into explaining things and the audio levels between game and mic audio aren't perfect. Also I feel I could explain game mechanics better. Apart from that I'm new to making these myself so any criticism would be welcome.

Let's Play Hotline Miami - Episode 1

People have already mentioned the three months thing, so here's my critique: Work on your audio, you're clipping your mic a lot. Also, stop talking over cutscenes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Pierzak posted:

Exactly. It runs in 320x200, but also in a 4:3 ratio. The pixels weren't square in the original.
Really it still seems like the 640x400 is the better looking option, 640x480 just seems stretched vertically:

I mean I was trying to understand it better but what did you mean by black bars on the side?

Ramagamma posted:

Recorded my first LP the other night of Hotline Miami. The only glaringly obvious flaws to me are that I jump in a little quickly, I'm perhaps trying to rush into explaining things and the audio levels between game and mic audio aren't perfect. Also I feel I could explain game mechanics better. Apart from that I'm new to making these myself so any criticism would be welcome.

Let's Play Hotline Miami - Episode 1
Outside of what's already been said, you're pretty often going into reactionary commentary mode where your commentary is just "Smack, smack, smack. Oh poo poo! Oh no! Run away!". It's a tad overkill when the game does a good enough job on it's own of expressing it's hectic nature. Also I'm a bit confused why you'd stick with the Tony mask for the LP; wouldn't it be better to show the progression of masks as you get them or stages where they work best? Also you kinda ruin the first boss by pointing him out and then realizing you can't attack him yet because you trigger him later.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You hear that reverberating headache inducing sound distortion thing at 0:13 when you shriek "die"? Work on your audio balance until it's gone. Also, less shrieking, period.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Niggurath posted:

Really it still seems like the 640x400 is the better looking option, 640x480 just seems stretched vertically:

I mean I was trying to understand it better but what did you mean by black bars on the side?
Yeah that was my issue with resizing them, I saw square tiles and wasn't sure if they'd resize properly. Seems they don't.
And a lot of images had something going on only in the middle of the screen, so I wasn't sure if it was like this originally or if those were added by screenshotting it while playing in widescreen or something.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

Niggurath posted:

Reducing the cut scenes down to 640x400 looks a lot better than increasing gameplay to 640x480 (if you want to keep a uniform size, which you do). As to Mzbundifund's point earlier about separating the .gif's down to each room might be a bit overkill but going more than two screen transitions can get a little confusing and would result in taking too long to loop back around to the starting scene.

I have a question about the pixel hunt nature of the game. How do you intend to show off the rather obtuse and relatively difficult to see locations of the items?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Blue Ghost posted:

Reducing the cut scenes down to 640x400 looks a lot better than increasing gameplay to 640x480 (if you want to keep a uniform size, which you do). As to Mzbundifund's point earlier about separating the .gif's down to each room might be a bit overkill but going more than two screen transitions can get a little confusing and would result in taking too long to loop back around to the starting scene.

I have a question about the pixel hunt nature of the game. How do you intend to show off the rather obtuse and relatively difficult to see locations of the items?
More than likely I'll have Neil Gaiman standing next to the item before I pick it up, or if it's in an identifable place, then I'll mention it with the screenshot. Really there are a lot of junk/useless items in the game and I probably will just ignore them unless they hold some sort of comedy value, but otherwise I'll just be sticking with plot relevant items and plowing through the game. I mostly want to LP this since it's a fairly stupid adventure game but also because it's a nice, easy way for me to try out a SSLP.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Niggurath posted:

So I don't really have the best eye for screenshots or SSLP's, but I wanted to do one just to stretch my proverbial legs. So here's a short test post for something I'll probably do like a month or so from now, and was just wondering if there was anything that I should fix image-wise or if there's any room for improvement. Currently this is just the intro (since it took me like an hour or two to even do this) but I think it should give a general idea of the picture quality, my bits of commentary, and character portraits. So any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9911

Looks pretty good overall. With dw1.7.gif (the dude getting teleported out of bed), it loops too suddenly back to the beginning, causing me to watch it three or four times just to figure out what the last couple of frames were. Just increase the delay on the last frame somewhere north of 500ms (I would personally go with about 800ms). Gives me time to adjust before the whole thing starts looping again.

I also really don't like your commentary being bold. How often are we going to have the narration that you're using italics for? If it's pretty infrequent, you could probably get away with it being the same style as the dialog.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
So I'm almost ready to do a test post for Mirror's Edge. Editing the last test video that I want to do for it.

Trying to figure out a few things first though.

1. Character info will have to be included on the test post but does it make more sense to add characters as they are mentioned or just everything at once?

2. I remember seeing some people displaying their videos on the forum in an interesting mix of an image for each episode overlaid on a big background image. Like I think I saw one person have a big background image of a giant chocolate bar in a foil and each episode image unwrapped more of the chocolate bar. Don't really seem an appropriate tag for the background in the BBcode list. Is that function still around or can I no longer do it because of the forum change?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

1. Do it as they are introduced. Not sure if anyone likes reading about these people we have never seen before.

2. It's simple dude. You just make an image then break it up into several pieces. Then it's just [img]bigparthere[/img][:url=linkhere][img]imageyouwantthemtoclickon[/img][/url]

Edit: the colon isn't needed. Just needed to break up the bb code.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Ah, so it wasn't a bunch of small images laid over a bigger base image. Just a bunch of smaller images placed together.

I might have overcomplicated it in my head.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Brainamp posted:

Edit: the colon isn't needed. Just needed to break up the bb code.

[img]bigparthere[/img][url=linkhere][img]imageyouwantthemtoclickon[/img][/url] :eng101:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

VivaVizer posted:

Ah, so it wasn't a bunch of small images laid over a bigger base image. Just a bunch of smaller images placed together.

You know you can just click quote if you want to know the code that went into something.

Suspicious Dish posted:

[timg]bigparthere[/timg][url=linkhere][timg]imageyouwantthemtoclickon[/timg][/url] :eng101:

:( Sometimes I forget about that.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

VivaVizer posted:

Yeah basically. I sliced up a huge image in photoshop and export each slice/add text as I go.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Brainamp posted:

You know you can just click quote if you want to know the code that went into something.

Yeah, but unfortunately, I couldn't find that post again. Don't remember the game at all other than the episodes were chocolate pieces.

I don't think the game actually focused on chocolate.

Mico posted:

Yeah basically. I sliced up a huge image in photoshop and export each slice/add text as I go.

So is there any size/margin/padding considerations or is everything pretty much gapless?

Just need to make sure all the images on a line have the same height.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
It USED to be gapless but the new layout update added a 4 pixel or so gap between each line that wasn't there on the old layout, and now carl sagan has stripes in my mario galaxy OP.

I'm hoping they fix it but I can't bet on it until it actually happens.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Hmmm, maybe I'll do something simpler first then.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

VivaVizer posted:

Yeah, but unfortunately, I couldn't find that post again. Don't remember the game at all other than the episodes were chocolate pieces.

It's the Um Jammer Lammy! LP.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Let's Klay The NeverhoOd Chronicles

OP stuff goes here. Neverhood is a quirky point and click claymation game.

So I've made a test video of the let's play, I'll be redoing the commentary as I've noticed a couple of things that I got wrong that need correcting. (Like the goddamn name of the main character, I've played this game to the end at least 6 times and never noticed that his name is Klaymen and not Klayman).
But the pacing and content will be about the same.

What I really want feedback on is video quality, pacing, and the like, especially the sequence with the hall of records about 13:20 seconds into the video.

Have a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HN4USvWJY

Also, youtube encoding really washes out the colors in this game.
Also also, is there a way to force polsy's player to play a video at a specific resolution? Currently it's showing the video as 320x240 as seen here (http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG2HN4USvWJY)

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but I wrote some (now incomprehensible to me) code to unpack the game data files for The Neverhood a few years ago if you need it. Might be some unused stuff in there.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

TwoDayLife posted:

Also also, is there a way to force polsy's player to play a video at a specific resolution? Currently it's showing the video as 320x240 as seen here (http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DG2HN4USvWJY)

Unfortunately you can't make the embedded youtube player start at a particular resolution, it's entirely based on the size of the embedded player, which I base on the embed sizes youtube offers. I can't remember off the top of my head how much larger it needs to be to default to 480p but it's significantly larger. I could make that an option once I figure out the numbers.

You should be getting 360p rather than 240p as it is though; I do.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

jawbroken posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch the video yet but I wrote some (now incomprehensible to me) code to unpack the game data files for The Neverhood a few years ago if you need it. Might be some unused stuff in there.

Sure, that'd be great, I'll dig around in the guts and see if I can find anything interesting. Feel free to email it to twodaylife at gmail.

Polsy posted:

Unfortunately you can't make the embedded youtube player start at a particular resolution, it's entirely based on the size of the embedded player, which I base on the embed sizes youtube offers. I can't remember off the top of my head how much larger it needs to be to default to 480p but it's significantly larger. I could make that an option once I figure out the numbers.

You should be getting 360p rather than 240p as it is though; I do.
Oh, I was unaware, that is interesting.

I went ahead and did a quick upscaling test: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3dY3GKb_DwI
Looks like youtube is generating 720p embed sizes when a video is exactly 720p and your site is picking it up just fine.
That might be the better solution to this issue. (At the cost of larger pixels) Although it's odd that a video upload at 480p doesnt trigger the Youtube default to become 480.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 9, 2013

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

TwoDayLife posted:

I went ahead and did a quick upscaling test: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3dY3GKb_DwI
Looks like youtube is generating 720p embed sizes when a video is exactly 720p and your site is picking it up just fine.
That might be the better solution to this issue. (At the cost of larger pixels) Although it's odd that a video upload at 480p doesnt trigger the Youtube default to become 480.

Yeah, when you hit 720p an embed size named "hd720" is generated which is a decent size and guaranteed to produce a player that defaults to 720p. Actually now I think about it I think the problem is the embed list is actually the same for 360p and 480p videos so I can't tell the difference (there's been a 'how can I get the source resolution for a youtube video' thread on youtube dev forums for literally years, pretty sure they're not going to do it) which means I would have to make it a manual option to pass to the player.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Youtube's weird with 480p. For some reason on my computer the quality list shows up as 360p -> 480p -> 720p. But on my Dad's computer and my WiiU, quality settings go from 360p -> 720p. There's never a 480p and I don't really get it at all.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Let's Play "Mirror's Edge"

Background
Mirror's Edge is a first person platformer with some gun play developed by EA DICE. It was released on PS3 and XBox 360 in November 2008 and a Windows version was released January 2009. A Time Trial Map Pack was released for the game in February 2009 but it is incompatible with the Steam version of Mirror's Edge.

The game is set in an unnamed dystopian city that seems to be safe and comfortable at its pristine surface but only made possible by its totalitarian regime. All communication is monitored, all media is controlled, and all semblance of due process and democracy is a sham. Opposition to the regime is often violently crushed as shown by events 18-years before the start of the game.

You play as Faith Connors who is a "Runner", a courier of physical communiqués used to circumvent monitoring by the regime. She navigates through the city mostly by the rooftops while navigating obstacles using movements inspired by parkour. A major game mechanic is momentum. As Faith moves faster, her momentum modifies how effective her actions are from the obvious like jump distance and less the obvious like melee damage.

To aid player in navigating the city, the game features a system called "Runner Vision". As Faith approaches important environmental features like horizontal bars, ladders, and pipes, the features will be highlighted in red. This system can be turned off completely and is unavailable on Hard difficulty.

Finally, while there are guns in Mirror's Edge, the downsides to gun play prevents Mirror's Edge from playing like a shooter. When holding a gun, Faith's max speed is reduced which can make certain obstacles impossible to circumvent when holding a gun. Additionally, Faith cannot reload any gun which relegates guns to short-term power.

LP Style
Mirror's Edge is a very busy game and, as such, commentary will be light. The LP will be played assuming that the viewer has never played Mirror's Edge before and will try to give the viewer just enough information to see what Faith trying to do. It will not be played like a speedrun and employ glitches or use moves that only make sense if Faith can see into the future (will try to avoid it anyway). However, if you want to do a speedrun in the thread, feel free though I won't put speedruns of a particular level into the OP until after I LP that level.

Characters

Faith Connors

Faith is the 24-years old protagonist. She works as a "Runner" often employed by revolutionary groups. After a job, she learned that her sister may be in trouble, and went to go investigate. This causes her to get caught up in something much bigger.

Mercury

Mercury, more commonly called "Merc", is a former-Runner/current-Tracker who now trains new Runners, source them work, and provide them radio and intelligence during jobs. Faith works as one of his Runners. He seems to like old pizza.

Celeste

Celeste is one of Drake's Runners along with Kreeg. She is Faith's friend and helped Faith practice after Faith had recovered from a job-related injury.

Kate Connors

Kate is Faith's sister and got into a conflict with the police. Helping Kate is a driving force behind Faith's eventual confrontation with many unseen organizations of the city.

Episodes

Polsy

Polsy

Polsy

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 10, 2013

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Prologue and Chapter 1 are marked private.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Whoops. Fixed now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HAve been told I uploaded the wrong video. gently caress me will repost this in a bit.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 9, 2013

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

Solis posted:

So with the Fall from Heaven 2 LPs coming out it piqued my curiosity about one of its successor mods, Rise from Erebus. Especially with all the discussion on it in the thread, I put together something showing off one of the new civilizations introduced by the modmod, the Scions of Patria.

Could I get some critique on this test SSLP? http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9917

Everything looks good from where I'm standing- screenshots seem a good size, the sample update looks good. I'm interested in seeing this; we could always use more FFH LPs and I've never played RifE myself. There was an attempted RifE LP here a very long time ago but I don't think it got off the ground; I've checked a few other forums for RifE LPs/AARs/whatever but they've always been fairly shallow.

So yeah, looking forward to it :)

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I am trying to figure out what format to use for my LP plans. X-Com Enemy Unknown. While I would like to continue the narrative built upon the previous 2 threads of my own, and the 3 of Guavamoments, the new look of the game makes me think a video format would work best. While UFO: Afterlight will no doubt be in screenshots that game doesn't look anywhere near as good. The changes to the new X-Com really sell it as a cinematic piece. The game designers have included close in third person shots, action camera angles, over the shoulder firing animations, so many things that I feel that are the kind of angles and things I would try to capture into a screen shot anyway. But if the devs are going to have the game do it for me in regular game play, why chop it up and make screen shots of it?

Sounds like the decision should be made right there, and if it wasn't for the 6 game spanning narrative it might be. Screenshots let me put dialog into the characters. It's the needed time and format to give the lines, flesh out characters and have them talk. With video it's all the games show. Games audio, games voice clips and me post narrating the events of the fight. While it's visually a very cool game and I think video does it much better service, I feel like I'm losing out on a core bit of my UFO lps where character dialog drove the missions along and fleshed them out as characters. This could still be achieved via post mission opportunities; people love to write soldier diaries and things in Xcom threads. And I can write whatever I want afterwards as well, I just need to find a new framing device I suppose.

Anyway in the shadow of all those words, I hope my current struggle with format choice is made clear. I have made two mock up posts of the same mission. One in video and one screenshot. I'm looking for any feedback on which format brings the most to the table and why. And any suggestions and improvements you can offer. Other than the video is not in widescreen resolution. My monitor is 1600 by 1200, deal with it.

Post Commentary style VLP mission

Traditional Screenshot Off-Site Test Post link

These might be a bit rough, and none of this is obviously OP material. I want to figure out how I'm going to tackle this, SS vs VLP, before I start working on any more of the framework.

My current thoughts are to practice scripting for the videos more. I did 3 or 4 runs of it, and could still improve. My throat now hurts from a cold or something so I'm not rerecording it for a test right now.
On the screenshot side of things I was planning on using Toolbok mods to give myself a free camera, rather than having it locked in at 90 degree angles, but the newest update to the game broke that idea. I am hopeful this will be fixed soon. Still I wonder if having a completely free camera would drastically change things or not. Also wondering if knowing ahead of time if I'm making it for video or screenshot would change how I play. For example the SS update is literally ripped out of the exact same missions video. If i planned it as a SS to begin with I might play around with the camera differently and 'stage' photo opportunities that better show the battlefield.
Lastly I guess I'd have to say with out characters from the previous LPs the SS test post feels a little flat to me. It's just not the same with out Booya yelling at everything, making jokes about Valhallans crotch, insulting Canada as not a real country, or having Canuck being a possibly psychopathic cyborg soldier.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

While I prefer the video just because I love the audio of XCOM, but I do feel that SS would be the way to go here. I agree that the character's stories that get built over the game can't be expressed in video. Fleshing the missions out with dialogue and whatnot would make it pretty interesting to read. Not sure if you've considered this but would you be doing the tutorial in the lp proper since it does a pretty good job of setting the mood of the game even if it fucks you over on the numbers side?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
You can always work it as a hybrid. Have character interaction and screenshots during the base bits, where you're researching and building and whatever, and discussive intros and outros to the mission videos. (Probably a "holy crap are we seriously going to go find aliens" thing for the first intro, as an example, likely mixed with character establishment.) Having seen you stream the game, those bits are very samey anyway, and you can put in all the special stuff you want there. Then have the characters be professional during the videos and not chatter (outside of their in-game combat chatter), while you explain mechanics, or let the chatty doc talk, or whatever. It really is just too flashy not to show the missions in video, and the screenshot mission with simply transcribing is really bad.

EDIT: Also, why wouldn't you be able to bring in characters from previous LPs? You can rename your guys.

Rising-Grandpa
Aug 4, 2010

My god, what are you doing?!

VivaVizer posted:

Let's Play "Mirror's Edge"

I liked this. The abridged tutorial you did was quite good. Your editing is subtle and nice, and while I think the commentary might be a bit too sparse, I also don't know how much more there really is to say about what's going on in the game. As far as I'm concerned, this is fine. I might be interested in contributing some stuff to the thread as well at some point, since I really like this game.

One thing though is that I guess I don't quite get why you have "Runner Vision" off. It's basically essential your first time playing the game, in my opinion, and I think it could at least help LP viewers get a general idea of where you're going, what kinds of environmental objects are most useful to take advantage of, etc. Though at the same time, you do seem to be going for a more immersive kind of thing here, so I guess having it off would be consistent with that angle. Do whatever.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9933

How can I improve this?

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Rising-Grandpa posted:

One thing though is that I guess I don't quite get why you have "Runner Vision" off. It's basically essential your first time playing the game, in my opinion, and I think it could at least help LP viewers get a general idea of where you're going, what kinds of environmental objects are most useful to take advantage of, etc. Though at the same time, you do seem to be going for a more immersive kind of thing here, so I guess having it off would be consistent with that angle. Do whatever.

Yeah, I thought it being off would make it look more immersive.

However, if it looks like I'm just randomly running around, then maybe it should be on. So basically, I have no idea which is better for a viewer.

Anyone else have a view on this?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked it, and prefer the mode off, but I have no idea about others. (I have never played Mirror's Edge before.)

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I noticed at certain points, you were looking left and right like a normal person would do. Keep that up. I like it. It helps with immersion.

Rising-Grandpa
Aug 4, 2010

My god, what are you doing?!
Yeah, upon further thought, having it off makes sense. I say keep it off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
That SS post isn't an LP, it's just a string of screenshots with transcribed dialogue and no commentary. Way too long, way too boring, exactly the kind of thing I tend to skip in LPs. If you're even debating if this can go into a LP, go with video.
Especially since the video seems much better paced and is actually commented. I'd like some more commentary for those who are just starting XCom (not having played the classics), so more about basic mechanics please (also how they differ from the classics). It seems to me that the video needs only minor adjustments while the SS post needs redoing from scratch.

• Locked thread