Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Copernic posted:

But it was all worth it in the end, because our 'painful birth' story is way more hardcore then almost anyone else's, and we can lord it over other Moms for the rest of our lives! Also Benjamin is okay I guess.

Please don't actually do this. I really wanted to have a natural birth really bad but I wasn't able to. I felt like utter poo poo and sometimes it still really bothers me. I had a complete emotional breakdown in the delivery room when I had to "give in" and have an epidural and if someone lorded that over me that they were better than me and more "hardcore" than me, It'd be really hard not to smack the poo poo out of them. Its not fair to judge anyone's birth experience like that because you don't know what they went through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Alterian posted:

Please don't actually do this. I really wanted to have a natural birth really bad but I wasn't able to. I felt like utter poo poo and sometimes it still really bothers me. I had a complete emotional breakdown in the delivery room when I had to "give in" and have an epidural and if someone lorded that over me that they were better than me and more "hardcore" than me, It'd be really hard not to smack the poo poo out of them. Its not fair to judge anyone's birth experience like that because you don't know what they went through.

Totally agree. I know Copernic was trying to be funny, but "mompetition" is a seriously lovely thing that happens CONSTANTLY, especially about birth stories and breast vs. formula feeding.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Alterian posted:

It was a joke.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Totally agree. I know Copernic was trying to be funny, but "mompetition" is a seriously lovely thing that happens CONSTANTLY, especially about birth stories and breast vs. formula feeding.

Luckily, he's not a mom, so that won't be an issue.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Bad Munki posted:

I can't even imagine how I'd react to such news.

Thank you all who put up with my hemming and hawing over daycare. I am currently sitting at Panera bread enjoying the most relaxed lunch I've had in I-don't-know-how-long. Spent a couple hours this morning helping a friend look at real estate, and I think next I'll wander through Home Depot AND Lowe's! Then I'll slowly make my way home and maybe wash some dishes, clean the house up a bit, do some vacuuming...I forgot what this was like. :sweatdrop:

I hope Eve is doing well. She had a little bit of a rough start this morning. She got up early so I was ready to go earlier than expected, which is fine, so I gave her breakfast, got her all ready to go, took her down there and dropped her off, then went home for a nice slow shower. However, while I was in the shower, apparently the daycare called because I had forgotten to bring any wipes or bottles! Eve always takes a few ounces before she goes down for a nap, and it was almost time for that when I dropped her off. I got everything together and raced down there, and there's my poor kiddo crying because she just wants to sleeeeep but first she needs to eeeeaaat...It was just a silly mistake, and she was totally fine once we had it all resolved, but I'm still annoyed that I started her stay off like that.

Oh well, maybe we'll do better tomorrow! In the mean time, daddy is doing SO WELL.

This is so good to hear. We'll be putting Dominic in daycare around that age and while I'm sure I'll be stressing the heck out when that time rolls around, hearing that it works for others helps allay some of my anxiety.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Alterian posted:

I think I have a freak baby. He's going to be 7 weeks on Friday and during tummy time he can already hold his head up all the way to look around and he can roll stomach to back.

Chris was standing upright (with help of course) at 6 weeks. Shocked the pediatrician with his neck control at 4 weeks.

Didn't make him crawl or walk any faster though.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

MockTurtle posted:

It still hasn't quite sunk in yet. But there isn't much anyone can do about it so I suppose I just need to buck up and get over it. No sense in getting upset! (Plus I am still banking on the "real" ultrasound possibly revealing something different)

I'm going in for an ultrasound on Sunday because they "just want to make sure everything's ok and check how many are in there." Oh god, why did they have to say that? Now I'm convinced that I'm going to have a litter. No reason why there should be more than one, but the thought freaks me out.

Twins do run in my family, so I am at a slightly higher risk, I suppose. Unlike horses, you generally don't pinch one off though.

ChloroformSeduction fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 9, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2017

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
If you go to L&D they can give you an Ambien to help relax you and sleep through the contractions. At least that was what they offered me. But I ended up getting induced. I was already 41 weeks.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Re: traveling while pregnant. I was the lady who posted about traveling by train while 19/20 weeks pregnant. We decided to do this as I get kinda anxious and nervous whe traveling.... Particularly during takeoffs and turbulence.

We decided to go with train because of me being a nervous flyer, but now I am wondering if that was a horrible choice. 30 or more hours in a train each way if it is on time seems like hell right now especially compared to 3 hours flying.

So, I'm going to ask to my doctor, but wanted to throw out a question here to. Is it possible to be so anxious or worried that I worry myself into stressing or otherwise harming baby?

Also, I generally get sick during the landing portion. Any motion sickness remidies that are safe for pregnancy?

sheri fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 9, 2013

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I'll be darned. I dug up my moby-type wrap to see if my little limpet-baby would like it, and by gum here he is snoozing away all wrapped up while I type. Little dude thinks it's just dandy. My daughter wasn't that into it (and she was a summer baby so it was too hot anyway) but now I'm glad I held onto the thing.

sheri posted:

Re: traveling while pregnant. I was the lady who posted about traveling by train while 19/20 weeks pregnant. We decided to do this as I get kinda anxious and nervous whe traveling.... Particularly during takeoffs and turbulence.

We decided to go with train because of me being a nervous flyer, but now I am wondering if that was a horrible choice. 30 or more hours in a train each way if it is on time seems like hell right now especially compared to 3 hours flying.

So, I'm going to ask to my doctor, but wanted to throw out a question here to. Is it possible to be so anxious or worried that I worry myself into stressing or otherwise harming baby?

Also, I generally get sick during the landing portion. Any motion sickness remidies that are safe for pregnancy?

I don't know how nervous you get--are you talking about panic attacks? I don't think it's likely to harm your baby but it sounds like something worth checking with your doctor about, for your own peace of mind if nothing else. If you go the train route, make sure you're getting up and walking frequently to keep your circulation going well.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

No, not panic attacks. Just probably normal stress response during takeoffs... Heart beats a bit faster and I'd guess my blood pressure is higher but if you were sitting next to me you'd never know I was freaked out other then if you noticed my death grip on my poor husbands hand.

Clip My Wings
Dec 15, 2004
Yes, that will do. Watch the spiral Bart. Let it entrance with it's twirliness, twirliness....

SmokeyXIII posted:

Well, I'm a Dad now. I'm surprised how much I like the dude, I wasn't so sure I would be into having a baby but right away I'm thinking he's really neato. Named him Alistair. He was 8lb 9oz, 53cm. Born 7:22pm January 5th. He was due January 22 so its probably good he didn't stick around the whole time or he would have been 11lbs or something. Everything progressed really fast but then she couldn't make progress when she started pushing so out came the forceps 2 hours and lots of sweat later. His left side of his face was swollen with a small bruise on the right side. But its all evening out today and lookin swell.

Congrats! I love his name.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

I would think a lot of the morning sickness meds might help (Unisom is available over the counter in the US), with the added bonus that they can make you sleepy so you might just snooze through the flight.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sheri posted:

I've read a bit about this, since I'm a nervous person by nature, and when there's talk about stress being potentially harmful to the baby, it seems to be long-term stress they're concerned about, not short periods of stress. So I wouldn't worry (heh) about a bit of stress during take-off and landing, the problem seems to be more if you're stressed out and agitated all the time. But I'm not even remotely a medical professional, so definitely talk to a doctor if you're worried about worrying.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

sheri posted:

There was a pregnant goon in E/N who had trouble with her brother-in-law and it gave her pretty high BP, but that was over months, not a quick trip. So I think you'd be fine either way.

It's funny, I'm the type to get anxious over things too, but with plane rides I'm really good at just... resigning myself. The second the plane's wheels leave the ground, I kind of go "welp, if the plane crashes I will very likely die, it's out of my hands now" and give up fretting over it. I get a little tense at landing but that's it.

I would deal with the brief anxiety of the plane over 30 hours in a train though, dear lord.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I have a sore boob :(

It's just the left one, but it constantly throbs and feels like someone has been giving my nipple twists, but not on the nipple but kind of the area just a a bit to the side of it. There's also a weird mark on it that looks a bit like a lovebite but not in the same place that it's sore. It's been like this for a day or two and I'm 21 weeks pregnant - has anyone else had anything like this?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

I don't think stress from either is going to be enough to hurt the baby. In terms of motion sickness stuff, I'd ask the doc for some anti-nausea meds. You can also take Unisom (Doxylamine) which is OTC and will both help with any nausea and knock you out so the time goes faster. It's very safe but talk to your doc about dosage and whatnot before you go. Another Rx option would be Phenergan, which is frequently used for morning sickness and will also knock you out. The doc may have other options as well.

I really love riding on the train and think the trip you are planning could be a lot of fun but I could just be a weirdo. Are you getting a sleeping car? Or will you just be sleeping in the seats? That would be my only concern because it would suck to try to sleep in the seats while pregnant.

We traveled from Idaho to Florida (combo of flying and driving, about 12-15 hours travel time each way) over the Christmas holiday when I was 21-22 weeks and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Even sleeping on an air mattress for 3 days was pretty tolerable, but I haven't had major problems with sleep or aches and pains brought on by the pregnancy yet so that probably made it a lot easier for me. My husband had a much worse time than I did with the air mattress!

One tip: Pack a LOT of snacks and drinks with you. The worst part of the whole trip was that our first flight going back got delayed and we had to run to catch the second one and had no time to get food. Nothing was available on the plane but peanuts and I was pretty miserably nauseated because of the lack of real food to eat. Even Zofran didn't do much to help me. It's not as big a risk if you are traveling by train but it's still good to have a stash of your own in case you can't get to the food car when you need to for some reason.

Make sure you talk to your doc about how much to get up and move around as well. Mine wanted me up every hour and made me get compression stockings to wear for the trip.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

sheri posted:

You can take anti-anxiety meds during the second trimester, talk to your doctor about a short term rx for the trip and see what they say. I was supposed to fly at 20 weeks and was afraid of having a panic attack, was told that a low dose at that time for travel would be fine. It can't hurt to speak to the dr and see what they say :)

And, if you're looking forward to the train trip there's no reason not to do it, I would just really worry about it being long and uncomfortable.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Clip My Wings posted:

Congrats! I love his name.

Thanks! My wife was bugging me about names when I was playing league of legends one day and so I suggested Alistair (the champion I was playing at the time) and well she liked it a lot and didn't want to hear anymore about it. So there you have it, my kid is named after a video game cow.

I probably will never tell him that story.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SmokeyXIII posted:

Thanks! My wife was bugging me about names when I was playing league of legends one day and so I suggested Alistair (the champion I was playing at the time) and well she liked it a lot and didn't want to hear anymore about it. So there you have it, my kid is named after a video game cow.

I probably will never tell him that story.

Haha I got the name of my son while playing Dark Souls (Logan), but I didn't tell my wife that. I liked the name but wasn't completely sold on it, but she loved it.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Don't worry, our son is named after the FX cartoon Archer & Wolverine (Logan)....

This is slightly better than what I wanted to name him, Brock Samson. Thought that would just lead to him being a complete douchebag meathead jock come high school.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Soren has been doing the standing thing since he was 5-6 weeks old too, also with the awesome head control, which made me think he might be good at movement in general.. but he fails at rolling over and pushing himself off the ground.

At 15 weeks he can now flip from his back to his front but can't get himself onto his back again, so lowers his head in despair and bellows. Especially fun when he decides to flip at 2am. He doesn't have the strength in his arms yet to lift/push himself up so we work on that a lot now, I've been tucking his caterpillar toy under his chest & armpits to lift him up a bit and he's using his arms more now, but he tends to drag them behind him when he pushes with his legs, or when he rolls over & they are at his side he can't pull them to his shoulders again. Yet he's got enough strength in them that he can balance himself standing by holding your fingers/hands. He will raise his chest & shoulders off the ground by arching his back.

I've stopped wrapping him at night now because he's turned into such as wiggle worm while he's sleeping that he tends to throw it off then get it tangled round his legs, meanwhile he's spun 180 degrees, on his side, toward the end of his cot. And how, face down.
I was using a muslin wrap because it's getting warmer here at night, but have just plopped him down in a nappy the last couple of nights because the overnight temperatures are hovering around the 75-85F mark.

Also, this has been a massive news story over here in recent days, no infant forumla in stores because people are buying it by the trolley load to send/sell to China. It's crazy! It was limited to one main brand, but now it's over a few different ones so the shelves are really empty. I know I've had to do the traipse around a few stores, even a couple of suburbs over, to get some for Soren. Supermarkets have now put buying limits in place.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Against my better judgement I have been reading the internet about twin having and one weird thing that keeps coming up is Vanishing Twin. Basically one twin will stop growing and get absorbed by the other and it results in a singleton pregnancy. What I can't find is how common it really is because apparently a lot of times the second twin never gets noticed before it's gone, so now I'm convinced this is going to happen to me. Has anyone heard of it?

Ambidextranata
Jul 22, 2007
"Luck is like the Tour de France. You wait, and it flashes past you. You have to catch it while you can."

MockTurtle posted:

Against my better judgement I have been reading the internet about twin having and one weird thing that keeps coming up is Vanishing Twin. Basically one twin will stop growing and get absorbed by the other and it results in a singleton pregnancy. What I can't find is how common it really is because apparently a lot of times the second twin never gets noticed before it's gone, so now I'm convinced this is going to happen to me. Has anyone heard of it?

I don't know how common it is either, but for what it's worth I am the remainder of a vanishing twin situation. My mom always told me that her first ultrasounds had two sacs and two fetal poles, but that over time one ceased growing and was eventually absorbed. I'm not sure what weeks any of this occurred since it took her a while to find out she was even pregnant with me, but it was probably around 12 weeks that she initially found out. By the time she had her 20 week scan I was the only one in there.

While I'm here, I guess I can introduce myself. I've been lurking this thread for years while my husband and I tried to get our lives in order enough to start trying. Well, 3 cycles after quitting the pill, I can say I'm officially knocked up. I just had my first ultrasound today and am currently 9 weeks. No complications that I know of, no major symptoms other than the typical sore boobs, ravenous hunger, and seeming inability to take a crap. Other than that things are good so far and the baby looks good. I count myself very lucky to not have major morning sickness or other worrying symptoms.

In any case, I always appreciate how straightforward and non-cutesy this thread is, so I look forward to spending the next several months here!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ambidextranata posted:

I don't know how common it is either, but for what it's worth I am the remainder of a vanishing twin situation.

Maybe it's kind of a highlander type thing. Are you immortal?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

MockTurtle posted:

My sister's current pregnancy is this. Definitely twins early on, but only one had a heartbeat at 10 weeks or so, obviously wasn't growing on a scan a few weeks later, and last I heard it's completely absorbed and gone. Other baby is completely fine and she's due in a few weeks. She was told it was extremely common with twins/triplets/etc... Her Dr said some estimates are around 30%. I guess it's only the increased use of early ultrasound that we even know about the vanishing twins that never develop from the beginning and are absorbed right away.

Might even be higher, since it's still pretty common practice in many places to not have an actual ultrasound until 18 weeks or so. Just doppler before then, which would never catch it.

ButtonsForEyes
Apr 18, 2007
The other mother

Seven for a Secret posted:

I just had my first OB appointment, and seeing the baby kick and wiggle was amazing, but the OB's advice about labor was pretty scary. Because of a medical condition I have, he said I'm "not a good candidate" for an epidural, and also that I should have a scheduled/induced birth. He seemed to think my best option was a scheduled c-section under general anesthesia.

Obviously the most important thing is that the baby and I come out of this healthy and alive. But I'm feeling really sad about the idea of not even being conscious for my child's birth, and not being able to hold or meet him/her until later when I wake up. I'm still holding out hope that it won't have to be that way; I know other people with my condition have had epidurals, so it may still be possible for me. But has anybody here had a birth under general anesthesia, or known anyone who has? I didn't even realize it was an option until today.

Having skipped down to your reply about what medical condition you have, I see that our medical situations are completely different, but I can offer my situation as commiseration, if nothing else! I was born with Spina Bifida and have had two major surgeries at the base of my spine, and as it turns out, there's a significant chance an epidural simply wouldn't work on me because the scar tissue could literally block it's passage to where it needs to go. I'm actually really thankful I didn't find that out until I was already knocked up, Or i'd've probably never been brave enough to get myself into this situation!

My doctor and I are thankfully on the same page about C-section; we both want to avoid it at all costs. (I'm not knocking it for other mothers-- I was born via C-section and it's likely the only reason I'm able to walk today,as being born vaginally would have certainly resulted in more nerve death than I already had at birth. I'm incredibly thankful for it, it's is just the absolute last way that I personally want to give birth. I don't think the spinal block would work on me any differently from a "regular" epidural, so if I ended up in a C-section, I suspect it would be under general, as in your case).

Wanting to avoid C-section makes me even more averse to the idea of any type of induction, given the escalation of intervention that often occurs (Is my Portland showing? :haw:). Unfortunately, this leaves me looking at few options-- gas, which I know very little about, narcotic pain management like opiates(which I've heard don't make it hurt less, just makes you high so you care less about the pain, which isn't really the way I ever envisioned meeting my baby for the first time), or going natural. Current plan is good ol' fashioned natural childbirth! Not that I'm looking forward to it, but I'm on my second Ina May Gaskin book and finding a lot of comfort and encouragement reading the birth stories in her books. I'm more worried about the fear than the pain-- I don't know if that makes sense, but I really feel like if I can remember that the pain serves a purpose and is really nothing more than a REALLY INTENSE SENSATION that won't kill me and has an end point, and keep myself from FREAKING THE gently caress OUT(!!!) I can withstand it.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I used gas. It doesn't take the pain but it makes you care less. Didn't really help at the worst part (the last couple cms of dilation).

I also thought the fear was worse than the pain.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

I used gas. It doesn't take the pain but it makes you care less. Didn't really help at the worst part (the last couple cms of dilation).

You're Norwegian, right? Do we get an equivalent to the Dermablast people have praised earlier in this thread for numbing purposes post-partum?
Or so I need to start arranging to have some sent in from abroad by July? Because it sounds like a lifesaver.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

You're Norwegian, right? Do we get an equivalent to the Dermablast people have praised earlier in this thread for numbing purposes post-partum?
Or so I need to start arranging to have some sent in from abroad by July? Because it sounds like a lifesaver.

Yes. The midwife used it before stitching me up after birth (3 stitches). However, I didn't get any after that. I didn't have too much pain afterwards though, I only had a couple of days of sitting very tenderly. Don't know if you can get it to use on yourself if it's really bad.

Incidentally, I've heard that they have stopped offering gas at Ullevål, which is where I'm giving birth. They had problems with it leaking into the room and affecting the midwives. Which I suppose you don't want :v

Are you Norwegian?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

Yes. The midwife used it before stitching me up after birth (3 stitches). However, I didn't get any after that. I didn't have too much pain afterwards though, I only had a couple of days of sitting very tenderly. Don't know if you can get it to use on yourself if it's really bad.

Incidentally, I've heard that they have stopped offering gas at Ullevål, which is where I'm giving birth. They had problems with it leaking into the room and affecting the midwives. Which I suppose you don't want :v

Are you Norwegian?

Noo, I thought the gas sounded nice and non-invasive. Yep, I live in Oslo, 15 minutes or so down from Ullevål, so I suppose that's where I'll be giving birth as well.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

rectal cushion posted:

Are you Norwegian?

Yeah, same here. I'm giving birth in Molde, and they don't offer gas because of leaking and the long-term effects on the people working there. Apparantly, a lot of the midwiwes working there had miscarriages due to the gas exposure over time.

I guess only epidural for me then! Oh, and they also offer acupuncture, have anyone tried that during labour?

Midnight Sun fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 10, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Whoa, two more NorGoons. We are 3 regulars in the Facebook group from Norway already (well, two Norwegians and one German living in Norway)

They offered acupuncture to me, but I declined. Didn't want to lay still for it and I'm also kind of skeptical towards it.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
I'll be joining the facebook group once we go "official" with the whole thing. Joining a group with "mom" in the name is kind of a giveaway ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

I'll be joining the facebook group once we go "official" with the whole thing. Joining a group with "mom" in the name is kind of a giveaway ;)

Sweet. The group is called "sa parents" now btw. Looking forward to seeing you there.

In other news, I was just at my 36 week check-up, and it seems my baby is still breech. I have an ultrasound booked for Tuesday to confirm, and then we'll see what happens. Bummer.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

CravingSolace posted:

Stephen is now four months old, which I can't believe. He weighs almost 16lbs and is 26" long. His doctor can't get over how long he is.

He can fit into size 12mo clothes. -_- I feel like I only had a baby for a week and now I have a toddler, lol. He's becoming very chatty and loves to babble. He also smiles at everything and can laugh a lot. He holds his head up well and is trying to roll over. He's starting to grab at things, too.

My son was 17lbs and 27 inches long at his 4 month well visit. Considering he was almost diagnosed with failure to thrive at 2 weeks I think he's doing pretty well now ;)

Now he's 5 months old and jumping in everything so he's about the same weight, hah.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 10, 2013

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

bamzilla posted:

My son was 17lbs and 27 inches long at his 4 month well visit. Considering he was almost diagnosed with failure to thrive at 2 weeks I think he's doing pretty well now ;)

Now he's 5 months old and jumping in everything so he's about the same weight, hah.

Those are some fabulous eyebrows!

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

rectal cushion posted:

Sweet. The group is called "sa parents" now btw. Looking forward to seeing you there.

In other news, I was just at my 36 week check-up, and it seems my baby is still breech. I have an ultrasound booked for Tuesday to confirm, and then we'll see what happens. Bummer.

Have they talked to you about doing a version? It's a procedure to turn a breech baby while in utero. Not everyone is a good candidate, but it's definitely something to discuss.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I just wanted to add something to the natural childbirth conversation from the last page. I don't think one can/should just "try" natural childbirth, I think you need to actively plan for it, if that's what you really want to do. Admittedly, Nolan's birth was difficult and painful (6+ hours of pushing), but I managed to get through it without drugs only because I had practiced pain management techniques daily throughout the pregnancy, and because I had a team around me who knew that I really did want to avoid pain meds. In the moment though, I would have agreed to absolutely anything to get the misery to end, up to and including giving the baby away. I honestly forgot that there was a baby for awhile - I couldn't even think on that rational level. I know some people have relatively easy births and aren't even tempted to say "gently caress it, get me the epidural", but that wasn't my experience.

If there's a next time, I will still go the natural route. However, I will also be doing an hour of serious yoga and strengthening exercises every day, despite feeling nauseated. Pushing out a person takes major physical as well as mental strength, and I regret neglecting the physical conditioning side of things during pregnancy. I definitely recommend reading Ina May Gaskin, and I had a mostly positive experience using Hypnobabies for pain management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Poison Cake posted:

Have they talked to you about doing a version? It's a procedure to turn a breech baby while in utero. Not everyone is a good candidate, but it's definitely something to discuss.

They haven't talked to me about anything yet, we're going to have a meeting with them after the ultrasound. I know about that yes.