Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Domalom posted:

If it's anything like the stage show they did last year it will be appallingly poo poo.

The stage show was... odd. It seemed to be going for a "global warming is nonsense" angle, then backpedalled to "global warming may be nonsense, but politicians are so crap at science they haven't a clue either way and are just playing to the crowd". There was a needless "Man, those Arabs are funny about women, hey?" subplot as well.

Impressively cynical about how the government can make somebody disappear on fake terrorism charges, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jonnty posted:

The trailer made it look utterly horrible. I imagine it'll murder the show through any or all of: bad acting, bad writing and exposing the (pretty awful) ideology of the writers that ran through the show a bit too much (...like with the later series of 24.)

I've just seen the trailer (I'd only seen the announcement previously), and yeah it's really not looking that great.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Domalom posted:

If it's anything like the stage show they did last year it will be appallingly poo poo.

I read a review of the stage show which said it was really good, but now I've seen the brief adverts they are using to plug the TV show I can't imagine how anyone could think it would be :(

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Are the ads online somewhere?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jonnty posted:

The trailer made it look utterly horrible. I imagine it'll murder the show through any or all of: bad acting, bad writing and exposing the (pretty awful) ideology of the writers that ran through the show a bit too much (...like with the later series of 24.)

For those that give up on 24, the last seven or so episodes are glorious.

Though I dislike most programming on the BBC after looking through what's most popular I'm guessing they're right to commission more crap. It would be interesting to know what impact youview and other services that ease watching of iplayer have on the popularity of shows as I'm guessing it's mostly going to be used to rewatch cartoons or trash telly when you come home pissed.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

justcola posted:

For those that give up on 24, the last seven or so episodes are glorious.

Oh gawd. Really?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jonnty posted:

Oh gawd. Really?

I think the Radio Times summarised the last season as (paraphrased) 'Jack Bauer goes from cuddly grandfather to crazed Terminator'.
He does.
It's awesome.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Metrication posted:

Are the ads online somewhere?

This one isn't an ad, so much as a behind the scenes preview. But it's the only thing I could find.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Andrew Marr is recovering in hospital after having a stroke.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh my god, Attenboroughs' Africa is just too marvellous. I need an adorable baby gorilla. And a lizard that dances in front of lions. And a shoebill (it's a bird that looks like a Muppet, can't balance because of it's disproportionately large beak and kills it's baby brother in the nest)

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Has no one else noticed that Adam Buxton managed to sneak one of his jingles into Thinkbox's The Power of Advertising advert? He even gets in a sly "Ala poo poo la la" at the end.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

thehustler posted:

Andrew Marr is recovering in hospital after having a stroke.

poo poo :(

I hope it wasn't serious.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Irisi posted:

Oh my god, Attenboroughs' Africa is just too marvellous. I need an adorable baby gorilla. And a lizard that dances in front of lions. And a shoebill (it's a bird that looks like a Muppet, can't balance because of it's disproportionately large beak and kills it's baby brother in the nest)

It was absolutely fantastic, but that bit with the baby elephant, Jesus Christ :(

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Jonnty posted:

Oh gawd. Really?

You don't even really have to watch the preceding episodes but it's worth watching if you gave up by season four or so. But it does respond to the criticism of the use of torture in the show by finally showing it in a negative light rather than a means to an end.

Has there been a hyena in Africa yet?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

justcola posted:

Has there been a hyena in Africa yet?

Not that I can remember. Just an adorable baby elephant, dying in the drought-struck landscape, while its' mother watched over it helplessly and the rest of the herd moved on...

:gonk:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anyone in Cornwall or South West England having weird iPlayer skipping issues lately? it really is frustrating.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Irisi posted:

Not that I can remember. Just an adorable baby elephant, dying in the drought-struck landscape, while its' mother watched over it helplessly and the rest of the herd moved on...

:gonk:

Ive always found the moral dilemma for naturalists interesting. I know the prevailing view is not to interfere at all with nature but I don't think I could stop myself from helping out the animals once filming is done!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Not sure if this has been posted, but apparently BBC HD is becoming BBC2 HD soon and HD versions of BBC3 and BBC4 programmes will only be viewable via iPlayer.

Until they decide on the best course of future action, that is. Which means finding capacity for the future to make HD versions of those two channels.

This is a little disappointing as I love watching BBC4 documentaries in HD. The quality will be quite a bit shitter :(

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
drat, apparently Tarantino just went nuts on C4 news and I missed it.

e: oh wait it's here http://www.channel4.com/news/quentin-tarantino-im-shutting-your-butt-down

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Resonance posted:

e: oh wait it's here http://www.channel4.com/news/quentin-tarantino-im-shutting-your-butt-down

Haha this owns, he witters on about the importance of having dialogue about difficult topics, and then behaves as if having rape in his film about slavery would be ridiculous and refuses to answer questions about violence because "this is a commercial for MY MOVIE!". Did he misunderstand what programme he was on or is he basically admitting that American news interviews are commercials?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Resonance posted:

I'd bet any money he's coked up through this, he's even sniffing the entire way through the interview.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

That was basically my thought throughout too.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've just seen the trailer (I'd only seen the announcement previously), and yeah it's really not looking that great.

I saw a thing about this on the BBC news, an interview with the guys making it. Apparently BBC had first refusal on the series, but they wanted to commision a pilot first. The creators refused stating that the pilot already exists as a box set DVD (the original series). Yeah because 25 years ago with a different cast and crew they made something special, if you call the new thing the same it will be great by default.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Captain Mediocre posted:

That was basically my thought throughout too.

I didn't even see it and that was my thought.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Can anyone remember the name of a documentary-ish programme where a man makes the cheapest nastiest 'bangers' he can and it looks at the regulations for making them and also how to advertise them?

I think there was another with him doing the same with wine.

E:
Nevermind it was Britain's Really Disgusting Food and Britain's Really Disgusting Drinks, although only the drinks one is on iPlayer :(

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 11, 2013

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Resonance posted:

God what a giant baby. Imagine if that was a Paxman interview.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Resonance posted:

He gets asked that question during every interview for every movie he has ever done. He was bound to snap at some point.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Nadine Doris is probably one of the most insufferable people to ever appear on question time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just caught the trailer for Way To Go, three losers trying to start their own secret euthanasia business. It looks mildly dark and it reminds me of the stuff BBC3 should be doing.

Can't wait.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Metrication posted:

Nadine Doris is probably one of the most insufferable people to ever appear on question time.

Attention seeking, passive aggressive oval office. I wanted Prescott to lamp her one. Nobody would have blamed him.

I see Robert Webb is doing more adverts. I think this is part of the reason why I'm enjoying Peep Show less and less. He used to be just Jeremy. Now I associate his face and voice with Cushelle Cushelle koala bear arsehole wiping meerkat consumer product gimmicky TV advert car insurance poo poo roll.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well he's not as talented as David Mitchell so he has to get some work somehow.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

thehustler posted:

Well he's not as talented as David Mitchell so he has to get some work somehow.

I actually find him a much better actor than David Mitchell in Peep Show. He's not as good at doing rubbish rants about everything though

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Really? I like Jez as a character, but I think he's a terrible actor. For me it shows just how good and well written the character is that I can stomach him, tbh. Mitchell is much, much better as Mark, though I'm not sure how good of an actor he is or if that's just him or his "character" he constantly plays in public.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They both really need more stuff with different genres to really get their chops now.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Caught up on Ripper Street, was expecting a longer more bridging story but instead got remixes of films instead. I'm actually loving it, simply because Matthew MacFadyen is awesome and Jerome Flynn is better.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It looks loving gorgeous too. Nothing quite like it on TV at the moment, I'm enjoying it way more than I should be.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I can't fault Tarantino for his comments at all. He's completely right, the press junket is just a commercial for his film and not the time or place to go into the 'movies/real life violence' debate. Tarantino does the press because it gets the film out there and the press do it because it generates sight traffic/views.

Tarantino has, even recently, done a lengthy piece with a reporter about some of the plot points in 'Django' and why the reviewer thought some things didn't make sense. He's also talked at length at lectures about violence and how it's portrayed on screen. It's not even a bad question, it's just a poorly asked one used to generate a quick soundbite they can play.

Plus, it's a question that Tarantino gets asked every time he has something out, even with the comparatively non-violent 'Jackie Brown'.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It was a lot of fun to watch Knightmare again when CITV showed them last weekend. I was going to say that I didn't know why they picked the two that they did (they're from after I stopped watching it, early to mid 90s ones) but apparently it's because the fansites think the guy in them was the best of all the contestants ever.

It certainly made me wish they'd bring it back, but it's two episodes of a run that's pretty obviously three episodes and a lot of the time the guys are using items and talking about stuff we've not seen them do, so it was kind of confusing.
I guess you couldn't really replicate it nowadays because more people have actual real computer games to play and it's a lot like a badly plotted Dungeons and Dragons game, but it might still be fun!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Hoops posted:

I'd bet any money he's coked up through this, he's even sniffing the entire way through the interview.
Thats exactly what I thought the moment he starts going into one. I mean he is a wacky fast talking guy, known for it, but he is sweating, shaking and barely controlling going off the deep end. He needs another line badly!

Saw Django Unchained the other night btw, pretty loving great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Gorn Myson posted:

It looks loving gorgeous too. Nothing quite like it on TV at the moment, I'm enjoying it way more than I should be.

Oh absolutely, they've completely nailed the look of 1890s England. The only quibble I could possibly have is that it's a bit too clean compared to accounts from the time. But it's a lot of fun, and I really could do without Super Doc Former Pinkerton American Man but I can look past it because it's visually stunning.