Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Not like we were really digging deep for more reasons to crap all over Beer Advocate or anything, but the reason Heady Topper went to #1 was they decided to factor in all the "Had" ratings on there...that let all the trolls giving every decent beer a 1 have a say in the overall rating of the beer without needing to construct a valid review or be flagged for review. While on some level I'm sure these troll ratings will balance out, I wouldn't at all be surprised with the philosophy of "if I can't have it (in this case, PtE), gently caress that beer" rearing its head.

Watch the widely-available beers rise up on that list. Again, whofuckingcares, but there ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wow this Honey Brown lager is delicious as hell. Seems to be light, not very heavy, and super sweet.

Light AND not heavy. Do tell, sir!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

wattershed posted:

Not like we were really digging deep for more reasons to crap all over Beer Advocate or anything, but the reason Heady Topper went to #1 was they decided to factor in all the "Had" ratings on there...that let all the trolls giving every decent beer a 1 have a say in the overall rating of the beer without needing to construct a valid review or be flagged for review. While on some level I'm sure these troll ratings will balance out, I wouldn't at all be surprised with the philosophy of "if I can't have it (in this case, PtE), gently caress that beer" rearing its head.

Watch the widely-available beers rise up on that list. Again, whofuckingcares, but there ya go.

i can see why adding the "Had" scores to the overall rating is problematic, but i was honestly enjoying the butthurtedness of all the dorks moaning about how they spend so much time crafting their reviews and the 100 character minimums are less that a tweet ("and we all know how useless they are"), the people who take the time to write reviews are the only people who know what they're talking about, how this is making it more like ratebeer, etc, etc. i mean, yeah, when i can read ten reviews of the same beer that alternately describe it as "thin," "viscous," "medium-bodied," "light," and "oily," i clearly know what to expect when i make my purchase (only if the score is over 90, of course).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

danbanana posted:

Light AND not heavy. Do tell, sir!

I meant to say to say like, smooth. My bad.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I meant to say to say like, smooth. My bad.

Is the label wrinkled as gently caress? This is important, post a picture if you can.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Yeah, I guess there really aren't that many beers with national distribution. (Though it is funny to see someone post "Even Ruination isn't available everywhere" when I would slap my grandmother to get any Stonebrew at all in OK).

Local bottle shop had at least six bombers of Belgian Yeti on display, snagged two. Brother Thelonius came in and was on special! :neckbeard:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Is the label wrinkled as gently caress? This is important, post a picture if you can.

I'm not rich enough for that if that's what that means. I am just a lowly poor.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Yeah, I guess there really aren't that many beers with national distribution. (Though it is funny to see someone post "Even Ruination isn't available everywhere" when I would slap my grandmother to get any Stonebrew at all in OK).

Local bottle shop had at least six bombers of Belgian Yeti on display, snagged two. Brother Thelonius came in and was on special! :neckbeard:

When is Brother Thelonious' release each year?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
So, it turns out that I like this Bottom Up Wit by Revolution a lot more than I thought I originally had. The first can I opened had a very strange after taste, and it stuck around in my mouth far too long. I really need to grab some of their Eugene Porter now, as I've enjoyed both the Anti-Hero and Bottom Up from them.

Is Belgian Yeti worth seeking out? I've actually never tried a Stout with a Belgian Yeast, so I'm not sure if I'll like it. I'm honestly kind of in-between with most Belgian beers outside of Dubbels, and Quads... I like some, and I don't really enjoy others. It's actually kind of rare that I try a beer that completely disgusts me, most I find somewhat drinkable. Then again, I tend to stay inside my comfort zone, and avoid gimmicky stuff like Rogues Maple Bacon Voodoo Doughnut.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Furious Lobster posted:

Edit: Seems like the myth of getting either Dark Lord or PtY increases with distance. Even when I was living in IL, Dark Lord tickets were hard to get and I didn't have a whole lot to trade for it; now that I'm back in LA, getting PtY was more of a question of going to the less popular bar locations; I remember Verdugo Bar being swarmed but Haven was near empty.

I just went to the most popular beer bar in San Diego last year and waited in line for 20 minutes before it opened. I drank PTY until they ran out. To reiterate, PtY is just okay. Its not even as close to as good as Elder and if both beers were readily available I would pick Pliny the Elder 100% of the time. Pliny the Elder, on the other hand is actually loving great and is probably my favorite beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Kudosx posted:

Is Belgian Yeti worth seeking out? I've actually never tried a Stout with a Belgian Yeast, so I'm not sure if I'll like it.

i haven't liked many stouts brewed in Belgium, due in part to the yeast, but it is not the dominant flavor in this Yeti, instead adding a slight touch of Belgian fruitiness to a rich chocolate and roast backbone. the only Yeti i've really enjoyed without a bunch of age on it and it's definitely not a gimmick.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the Dundee stuff out of a can? guess it beats Corona... seriously though, reviews (particularly half-assed ones) of widely-available year-round beers aren't really what the thread is about. if there's some cool local/regional release you want to talk about, that's great, industry/release news is always welcome, and if you wanna tell us where you are and ask for suggestions, you'll find most of us are pretty helpful.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I just went to the most popular beer bar in San Diego last year and waited in line for 20 minutes before it opened. I drank PTY until they ran out. To reiterate, PtY is just okay. Its not even as close to as good as Elder and if both beers were readily available I would pick Pliny the Elder 100% of the time. Pliny the Elder, on the other hand is actually loving great and is probably my favorite beer.

Not to keep beating a dead horse but when I was talking about distance it was for people who don't live in California, i.e. those who, for practical concerns, won't be able to drink it and thus does not exist. I think it's really good and I'd choose the Younger over the Elder any day even though I still love the latter and have spent many trips to SF trekking up to Santa Rosa and getting growlers.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

So, it turns out that I like this Bottom Up Wit by Revolution a lot more than I thought I originally had. The first can I opened had a very strange after taste, and it stuck around in my mouth far too long. I really need to grab some of their Eugene Porter now, as I've enjoyed both the Anti-Hero and Bottom Up from them.

Is Belgian Yeti worth seeking out? I've actually never tried a Stout with a Belgian Yeast, so I'm not sure if I'll like it. I'm honestly kind of in-between with most Belgian beers outside of Dubbels, and Quads... I like some, and I don't really enjoy others. It's actually kind of rare that I try a beer that completely disgusts me, most I find somewhat drinkable. Then again, I tend to stay inside my comfort zone, and avoid gimmicky stuff like Rogues Maple Bacon Voodoo Doughnut.

Eugene is Rev's best year-round, definitely.

Belgian Yeti is definitely not a gimmick, and it's probably one of the best examples of a Belgian-yeasted stout. Absolutely worth trying.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wow this Honey Brown lager is delicious as hell. Seems to be light, not very heavy, and super sweet.

Haha, this is like throwing chum to a bunch of sharks!

Welcome to the beer thread, you just opened with the equivalent of bringing McDonald's to a fancy dinner party. Don't worry about it, everyone starts out somewhere. I drank a lot of Honey Brown back in college, it's a pretty common "fancy" college beer.

If you're interested in expanding your beer horizons, you might want to check out some more dunkel lagers, which match malty sweetness with lager's smoothness. Depending on where you're located, there's probably some great local options, but there's also some pretty commonly available imported brands. Warsteiner, Spaten or Negra Modela are available pretty widely. Ayinger also imports a very good dunkel.

crazyfish posted:

Belgian Yeti is definitely not a gimmick, and it's probably one of the best examples of a Belgian-yeasted stout. Absolutely worth trying.

Jumping on this train too, Belgian Yeti is delicious. I think I have one put back, guess I need to see if anyone around here still have some on the shelves.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Once Boneyard starts canning, I guarantee you Hop Venom will be BA's next ratings darling

I love being able to get $12 growler fills of this whenever I want at my local homebrew shop.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Retemnav posted:

If you're interested in expanding your beer horizons, you might want to check out some more dunkel lagers, which match malty sweetness with lager's smoothness. Depending on where you're located, there's probably some great local options, but there's also some pretty commonly available imported brands. Warsteiner, Spaten or Negra Modela are available pretty widely. Ayinger also imports a very good dunkel.

I thank you, sorry for not knowing that much but I aim to fix that.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 9, 2013

SketchyNick
Oct 15, 2005
So redlight redlight has cascade kriek, apricot, and blueberry. Anyone tried the blueberry yet I heard its new. Also got a glass of bourbon barrel ovila quad and gotta say it worked way better than weyerbachers BA quad (blasphemy?).

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I'm going to a Founder's tasting tonight. Finally get to try Bolt Cutter, and another round of Backwoods Bastard. Should be an awesome evening.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SketchyNick posted:

So redlight redlight has cascade kriek, apricot, and blueberry. Anyone tried the blueberry yet I heard its new. Also got a glass of bourbon barrel ovila quad and gotta say it worked way better than weyerbachers BA quad (blasphemy?).

The blueberry is great. I think I preferred the kriek, but either will be one of the best sours out there and both are pretty true to their flavor. I'd say go blueberry, just because it's something different.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SketchyNick posted:

i've had all three and i'd go with the kriek. had the blueberry the other night and it's a nice enough beer- well carbonated, lovely mouthfeel, real blueberry flavor, and only mildly tart and funky- but i honestly thought it was pretty boring halfway through the glass. people seem to love it, but i wish it had been a little more something, just seemed too middle-of-the-road for me.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was just wanting to know if the label on the bottle was wrinkled because last time I had something from them the label was clearly too big to fit inside the ridges on the shoulder/heel of the bottle. I wanted you to post a picture if it was because that poo poo is funny.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Anyone else tried 21st's Marooned on Hog Island? And if so, did you find it aggressively salty? I had one the other night with a meal and by the end I felt like I was drinking beer brewed with ocean water.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Welp.

(Oh and apparently they are going to distribute this.)

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

I JUST saw that.

I really, really, really, really hope this hits distro....

For the love of god. :(

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I Dont Like You posted:

I JUST saw that.

I really, really, really, really hope this hits distro....

For the love of god. :(

Their tweet says 'shipping to other areas this week' soooooo.......

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sirotan posted:

Welp.

(Oh and apparently they are going to distribute this.)

that's... pretty.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Their tweet says 'shipping to other areas this week' soooooo.......

Excellent. Hoping I can actually get my hands on this. "Overhyped" or not, loved this when I had it on tap, and I don't trade, so please WI don't let me down.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
Not overhyped, exactly the right amount of hyped, and deservedly so.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I don't like Black Note as much as BCBS, but it's hard to like something as much as BCBS so I'm hoping to score a four pack.

Super glad I didn't wind up trying to trade for a 750 with some of my Belgium haul.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Am I wrong for thinking Brux is the second best sour I've ever had? That may change when my shipment of pure RR stuff comes in next week.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Am I wrong for thinking Brux is the second best sour I've ever had? That may change when my shipment of pure RR stuff comes in next week.

Having not had Brux yet, I have no opinion, but I'm hoping you're getting some Consecration - my favourite sour made in the USA.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Captain Shortbus posted:

It's not even really sour though? It's just brett...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Now that I'm nearing the end of the trip, I'm getting a bit torn -- save for my buds back home or just say F it and Drink that heady From The Can at its freshest?

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

cryme posted:

It's not even really sour though? It's just brett...

It seemed sour to me. "Wild American Ale". Either way, it was really good.
E: Consecration, Temptation, and Redemption. So psyched!

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 10, 2013

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Captain Shortbus posted:

It seemed sour to me. "Wild American Ale". Either way, it was really good.

I had it soon after it was just bottled and I thought it wasn't very sour either. It was more on the funky side of things, but since it wasn't pasteurized, it will develop and change in taste over time. I am looking forward to opening another bottle in a year or so.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cointelprofessional posted:

I had it soon after it was just bottled and I thought it wasn't very sour either. It was more on the funky side of things, but since it wasn't pasteurized, it will develop and change in taste over time. I am looking forward to opening another bottle in a year or so.

Yeah, my buddy drank some fresh with me and I didn't think much of it. Kind of like a poor man's Sanctification. But I have a bottle I'm sitting on for a while as well. Here's hoping it gets way funkier.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Now that I'm nearing the end of the trip, I'm getting a bit torn -- save for my buds back home or just say F it and Drink that heady From The Can at its freshest?

Drink. It wasn't bad, of course, but I absolutely noticed a difference between can #12 and can #1, consumed over the course of three weeks. Maximize the enjoyment of your bounty.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Retemnav posted:

Anyone else tried 21st's Marooned on Hog Island? And if so, did you find it aggressively salty? I had one the other night with a meal and by the end I felt like I was drinking beer brewed with ocean water.

...or maybe one brewed with a shitload of oyster shells? seriously, though, i tasted like an ounce or two on draught and didn't find it to be that salty.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Sorry for the multi post:
Stone 06-12 vertical was a bit too much in one sitting. Too many different styles and flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Can any guys in Houston lead me to some a variety of fresh Anchor beers? Lately I've gotten a crazy craving for them, but they are no where to be found in Katy. If I'm lucky I can find this year's Christmas ale or really old Steam at Spec's locations and supermarkets around here. Know of any locations where they move product fast enough to have fresh bottles? I remember Anchor used to be everywhere a few years back, but I don't know what happened.