Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn't that side vent the same one that's on the Equinox? God those things are loving ugly.

New corvette does not impress at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Anyone who thinks car reviewers like Edmunds and Motor Trend are in bed with the car companies oughta read Edmunds' road test of the new Lincoln MKZ.

They're not merely unimpressed... they're angry. They absolutely hate it.

I, personally, would love to see Lincoln actually make it... but at the very least they should manage to get people to say something nice about one of their cars. Compare that rant to their article on the Chrysler 300, which it appears they really like, even with its old 5-speed.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 5, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It LOOKS horrible! Seriously, what's up with that grille? Oh, and another thing... I'm getting really tired of car companies not putting on the stock tires when they ship cars out to review. Those same Super Sports have been found on all kinds of cars lately by journalists. If memory serves me right, I think one person even found them on a test Chevrolet Spark.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
The review said the same rubber was on an M5 they tested. As such the MKZ paid the price during the review for crashing over every road zit and not acting like the luxo comfort car it it should be. Though .90 on a skid pad is kind of neat for a Lincoln.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BabyMauler posted:

Though .90 on a skid pad is kind of neat for a Lincoln.
But who the hell puts a Lincoln on a goddamn skidpad!? Okay, well they put every car they test on one. But who pays attention to that score anyway? More important in this category is that the article on the Chrysler 300 says it was quieter than a Bentley Mulsanne. That's what Lincoln is supposed to be about - soft, comfy luxobarges. That's why you added that "for a Lincoln" part.

So they said that it did better on their slalom than the BMW M5. That M5 that they're talking about is, I'm guessing, the same one they called "underwhelming." Doesn't say much.

So now I'm wondering what they're gonna do with future models, after this MKZ's turned out to be a bust. Please don't Edsel on me! :ohdear:

edit: Oh god, they're turning it into Mercury. Just rebadged Fords with louder styling and a jacked-up price. Nonono gently caress goddamn no this is not the way you do it

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 5, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It seems a little reactionary to declare the sky is falling because one outfit hates the car. Other opinions seem to range from "competent enough, but not the car that's going to save Lincoln" to "A better ES than the new Lexus ES".

And, honestly, when has it ever really mattered what MT/C&D/whatever actually think of a car?

Friar Zucchini posted:

edit: Oh god, they're turning it into Mercury. Just rebadged Fords with louder styling and a jacked-up price. Nonono gently caress goddamn no this is not the way you do it

What planet have you been living on? This is what Lincoln has been since the early 80s.

edit: After really reading that article it's pretty clear they got their nuts in a twist about the tires and took it out on the car.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 5, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The tires aren't thrown on just for the test, you can get them as part of an option package. They do the same thing with the Ford Focus that always gets reviewed with the "Titanium Sport" package that includes E63 AMG tires. It works too because now it's common knowledge that the Focus is the "handler" amongst compact cars. It's a bit ckeeky but you *can* get them like tha tfrom the factory so I'll allow it.

I guess I'm in the minority that I actually like the way the new MKZ looks, the tail is particularly striking and the side profile like the Fusion really helps hide the FWDness. Too bad the rest of the car doesn't match up and I can't see why anyone would pick one over a Chrysler 300 or a Hyundai Genesis for about the same price.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Friar Zucchini posted:

Lincoln had pretty much coasted on being the Town Car/ Up Level trim division of Ford/Mercury with a flash in the pan unique model like the LS, and bling factor of the Navigator. Add to it their customer base literally dieing every day. If anything they need to look at what GM did with Cadillac recently, use platform sharing but make the vehicles unique from each other, and that stand with the best in the segment. It's easier said than done, but when the Mustang outsells the whole division something is very wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

The tires aren't thrown on just for the test, you can get them as part of an option package. They do the same thing with the Ford Focus that always gets reviewed with the "Titanium Sport" package that includes E63 AMG tires. It works too because now it's common knowledge that the Focus is the "handler" amongst compact cars. It's a bit ckeeky but you *can* get them like tha tfrom the factory so I'll allow it.

I guess I'm in the minority that I actually like the way the new MKZ looks, the tail is particularly striking and the side profile like the Fusion really helps hide the FWDness. Too bad the rest of the car doesn't match up and I can't see why anyone would pick one over a Chrysler 300 or a Hyundai Genesis for about the same price.

I think according to the article the car wasn't configured as orderable. The fancy tires are only available on an AWD sport whatever model, which isn't what was tested.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think according to the article the car wasn't configured as orderable. The fancy tires are only available on an AWD sport whatever model, which isn't what was tested.

quote:

Our V6, all-wheel-drive 2013 Lincoln MKZ test car showed up wearing ultra-aggressive Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires (245/40ZR19).

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Guys that 44-50mpg Strada small pick up of my dreams is never coming to the US despite what allpar says is it?

:negative:

So, S-somone lieee to meeeehopefully I'm wrong about that...but I haven't seen any new news on it for a while now. Anyone got a link or something from someone high up that the idea is dead or what?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Huh, for some reason I thought they had a FWD version.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The new Porsche 991 GT3 will only be offered with a PDK transmission, according to GTSpirit. :can:

Number of nice photos here, too. I *think* the one in the middle is the GT3, can anyone confirm? Regardless, it's a hot loving car!

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/01/07/porsche-to-drop-991-gt3-teaser-in-february-deliveries-begin-july-august/

grover fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 9, 2013

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

http://www.carthrottle.com/toyota-gt86-shooting-brake-the-86-youll-never-admit-to-wanting/

I can't seem to find anyone else that is confirming this. But this site isn't saying "WOUDLNT IT BE COOL?!," they are stating it as fact.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Jalop is saying that this is the new IS (with an F sport package). A lot of comments are hating on the styling, but I think it's a big improvement over the current one. The interior looks nice, too.

I heard they're carrying over the old powertrains, though, and that the car is getting heavier - if that's true I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

obeyasia posted:

http://www.carthrottle.com/toyota-gt86-shooting-brake-the-86-youll-never-admit-to-wanting/

I can't seem to find anyone else that is confirming this. But this site isn't saying "WOUDLNT IT BE COOL?!," they are stating it as fact.

I like it from the front to the middle of the doors. Behind that does nothing for me, and I love hatchbacks.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

blk posted:

Jalop is saying that this is the new IS (with an F sport package).

Oh that's awful, it's their only prototype and it's already been in a crash, look at that front end! :qq:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

A lot of comments are hating on the styling, but I think it's a big improvement over the current one.

I'm in the "it's terrible" camp. It's not just terrible, it's a complete loving mess.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
it looks bad in the thumbnail pic, it looks horrendous in the full sized picture.

:psyduck:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'm not sure what to make of Lexus' new Führer design language.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Randy Pobst (having already driving the ZL1) says the 1LE is the best handling Camaro ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYiFiWn38jw
Great price, if you can stand the aesthetics/livability.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

blk posted:

Jalop is saying that this is the new IS (with an F sport package). A lot of comments are hating on the styling, but I think it's a big improvement over the current one. The interior looks nice, too.

I heard they're carrying over the old powertrains, though, and that the car is getting heavier - if that's true I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

Well, that means it'll be slower, so we'll see more of them getting destroyed by pussy shrapnel they'll be unable to avoid.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

fknlo posted:

I'm in the "it's terrible" camp. It's not just terrible, it's a complete loving mess.

As long as you only look at it from the side and don't go inside it that's a fantastic looking car.

edit: Never mind. I just noticed how the tail lights swoop into the side profile.

Tacier fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 10, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Everyone posted:

Lexus stuff

It's not what I'd choose, but I'm happy that they're doing something interesting - I thought the last IS was terribly bland and is overdue for a change. I'm guessing without the F kit it will be a bit more toned down.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Subaru news!

- Hybrids
- WRX ≠ Impreza
- Future models will be downsized
- New engines, smaller
- More Toyota

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1205_next_generation_subaru_wrx_prototype_revealed_last_year/

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 10, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

blk posted:

Don't forget this styles' origins:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
That Lexus is one of the ugliest cars in recent memory, but the inside is pretty nice.

The new Ram 3500 can tow up to 12 Miatas.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01/2013-ram-hd-the-king-of-towing-at-30000-lbs.html

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Friar Zucchini posted:

Subaru news!

- Hybrids
- WRX ≠ Impreza
- Future models will be downsized
- New engines, smaller
- More Toyota

http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1205_next_generation_subaru_wrx_prototype_revealed_last_year/

quote:

"product planners aimed to redefine the WRX from a turbocharged boy-racer into a more-mature sporty grand tourer"

I hope it doesn't get too heavy.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well, the new Impreza is lighter than its predecessor, that is a good sign.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least Lexus is taking some design risks, and not Acura style design risks where they just put a shield grille on the front of an otherwise not-too-interesting design.

That being said, I don't like it, but I imagine that it looks better in person, right??

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That being said, I don't like it, but I imagine that it looks better in person, right??

Not a very high bar at all...I sincerely hope it's the case though. That car looks truly tragic.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

blk posted:

I hope it doesn't get too heavy.

why would they make a 'sporty grand tourer'? isnt that what the liberty/legacy GT is?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

motortrend posted:

"product planners aimed to redefine the WRX from a turbocharged boy-racer into a more-mature sporty grand tourer"

God, they just can't help themselves, can they? Whoever coined that term should be tossed into a lava flow.

Thanks for the link, Friar Zucchini. As someone who can't decide to pull the trigger on a new STi or wait for the redesign, any news is more than welcome.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The amount of cognitive dissonance in how they arrived at that sort of design is amazing.

On one hand they say this...

quote:

The harsh reaction to Subaru's attempt to appeal to a broader audience by softening the 2008 WRX's ride and handling traits planted the seeds for that radical decision.

But, the previous paragraph said this...

quote:

Odds are it will be bigger too -- at roughly 180 inches long, 72 inches wide and 56 inches tall, the Advanced Tourer is more than 6 inches longer, 3.5 inches wider, and almost 2 inches shorter than the all-new Impreza.

and this

quote:

We also learned that in designing the new car, product planners aimed to redefine the WRX from a turbocharged boy-racer into a more-mature sporty grand tourer with a higher-quality interior. Make no mistake, however, the new WRX will come with a stiff suspension setup and enough power to satisfy even the most hardcore fan.

I own both a 2002 and a 2011. The 2011 has more grip, is a lot quicker, is quieter, and is a more comfortable place to be. I've been impressed by it's performance. However, it still doesn't quite put the poo poo eating grin on my face like the 2002. The 2002 is just plain more FUN most of the time.

To me, it sounds like they are going to go after the A3 quattro and that just sounds wrong for this car. I want a somewhat rugged/practical vehicle that I can bomb around in and have great fun, not some mature grand tourer wannabe (no matter what the power to weight ratio or the skidpad numbers say about it's performance credentials.)

Oh well, I'm crossing my fingers for a higher HP BRZ. That seems more like a spiritual successor to my 2002 than what's being hinted here.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

From a selfish perspective, if they make a bigger, more luxurious WRX/STI, there might actually once again be available the vehicle that I want: fast, stick shift, all wheel drive, leather interior wagon with enough room for my dogs in the back. So I'm rooting for that.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.
I couldn't determine from the article if they were saying STI in 2015 or WRX + STI in 2015. I'm hoping the WRX shows itself a lot sooner than that and we just get the STI a few years later.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Hasn't the WRX always kind of been a GT, though? 4 doors, rear seat.... it's not exactly a sports car. It's always had a nice interior, too, compared with the base models. Boy-racer sure, the wings and scoops, but at its heart it's been a GT car.

What they should say is "cars are getting fatter and heavier, and quality is of increasing concern, so the new WRX will reflect that". It's not like they are breaking new ground or even telling us something we didn't expect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

VikingSkull posted:

Hasn't the WRX always kind of been a GT, though?

Not really. It's been an economy car with go fast parts. It's been no more of a GT than something like a Mazdaspeed 3 or a Focus ST.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Well, in fairness, I'm American, so our GT's have always been economy car + go fast parts + leather = GT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I'm American too, but I never considered anything in the economy class really to be much of a GT.

GT to me means power to dominate highway driving with emphasis on stability and control at higher speeds with amenities to make a long drive comfortable. Involved driving when you want it, ability to sit back and cruise when you don't.

To me, this seems like it's almost the antithesis of the WRX birthright which is a somewhat tossable and nimble car that's most at home being thrown around twisties on less than perfect roads. A car that takes potholes, dirt, gravel, and snow in stride as much as smooth pavement. It's a car that usually begs for your attention and is always egging you on to goose the throttle coming out of a turn or enter that corner just a little faster than you should.

I would liken my 2002 to an enthusiastic puppy rather than the greyhound that is a GT.