Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

sim posted:

How terrible of an idea would it be to buy this: 2005 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG with 72k miles? My budget is $25k and I've been looking at used GTIs with leather and around 30k miles for the same price. The factory warranty on VWs runs out at 36k anyway. Most people don't cross shop those, but I'm looking for a 4 door automatic with a nice leather interior and plenty of acceleration.
If you go check this one out see if either you or the seller can put a full tank of gas in it first. We have seen a few in our shop that when filled up leak out the top of the tank at the seal between the pump and the tank. Even if you replace the seal or pump it still leaks. It's a problem quite a few other owners have experienced all over the place. Mercedes has has acknowledged the problem but all they say is to replace the tank. No recall or service campaigns. So if you smell gas right after a fill up that could be why. Also the seller may know this already hence the low price. Not trying to scare you out of the car just something to keep an eye out for when buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Anyone have any resources how to repair/diagnose the old Becker radios? My new-to-me 250c has no tunes. The original unit is marked Becker Europa Stereo and it appears to have an amp mounted on the passenger firewall under the dash. It didn't work when I looked at the car, so no surprises here, I'm just trying to make it work now. It did work once on a drive home from work, then never again. Normally this would make me think bad grounds, but I've tested and it's getting power and has a good ground as well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Anyone have any resources how to repair/diagnose the old Becker radios? My new-to-me 250c has no tunes. The original unit is marked Becker Europa Stereo and it appears to have an amp mounted on the passenger firewall under the dash. It didn't work when I looked at the car, so no surprises here, I'm just trying to make it work now. It did work once on a drive home from work, then never again. Normally this would make me think bad grounds, but I've tested and it's getting power and has a good ground as well.

I know this sounds silly, but is it getting a good clean signal? I would take the multimeter and see if its even sending a signal to the amp. Its worth a shot.

But yet again, I am clueless on car stereos.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know this sounds silly, but is it getting a good clean signal? I would take the multimeter and see if its even sending a signal to the amp. Its worth a shot.

But yet again, I am clueless on car stereos.

Signal? Like power? The head unit is connected to the amp via a thick pigtail wire. The connector at the amp probably has 6 or 8 holes, I didn't remove it yet. There is no-way to remove the pigtail from the back of the head unit itself, it goes directly in where it is like soldered to the boards inside or something. I think the head unit is supposed to provide power to the amp, but I don't know. The power antenna is also connected to the head unit, except it never goes up. I'm guessing the antenna receives power from the head unit but I'm not sure how as it only has one connector and it's the standard type connector for car audio antennas.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
The thin, flat grounding wire on the ds side of the trunk could be loose. Maybe it's something dumb like that or the ceramic bullet fuse being flaky. My Becker Mexico cassette would randomly emit a piercing electronic scream through the speakers and I never found the culprit. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure the amp gets +12v and ground from its bracket.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Signal? Like power? The head unit is connected to the amp via a thick pigtail wire. The connector at the amp probably has 6 or 8 holes, I didn't remove it yet. There is no-way to remove the pigtail from the back of the head unit itself, it goes directly in where it is like soldered to the boards inside or something. I think the head unit is supposed to provide power to the amp, but I don't know. The power antenna is also connected to the head unit, except it never goes up. I'm guessing the antenna receives power from the head unit but I'm not sure how as it only has one connector and it's the standard type connector for car audio antennas.

I mean an audio signal. Sorry I should have been clearer.

But now that you mention no antenna going up it sounds like it could be something else. Maybe your head unit is going kaput in proper german fashion?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I mean an audio signal. Sorry I should have been clearer.

But now that you mention no antenna going up it sounds like it could be something else. Maybe your head unit is going kaput in proper german fashion?

If I put 12v on the antenna wire should the antenna go up provided the motor works?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I would imagine so....

DO you have photos of the amp area? Maybe it would be helpful.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Are you sure it's a power antenna? I found this while trying to scare up a wiring diagram for the W114, and it looks like it has connections for power and ground in addition to the one for the aerial. If it only has a connection for the aerial, I'd bet that it's manual.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Cyrezar posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there is simply not a way to get more car and performance for the money than the E55.

This is an absolute fact. The step down from there would be the E39 M5 ($10-15k range, with the E55 in the 20-25k range)

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

zundfolge posted:

Are you sure it's a power antenna? I found this while trying to scare up a wiring diagram for the W114, and it looks like it has connections for power and ground in addition to the one for the aerial. If it only has a connection for the aerial, I'd bet that it's manual.

Well if it's manual I've got no clue as to how to put it up.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

originalnickname posted:

Anyone know with more of a certainty than a 2 year window, or if at all it'll be launched for the C63?

I am right there with you and just may end up getting a used 2012 as a holdover. It definitely will not make it into the 2014 models, as they will still be the w204 platform (for the c63). 2015 (ie mid 2014 avail) will be the earliest.

The 5.5L twin turbo is not confirmed for the next c63 (there have been no official releases or engine bay spy shots), but if it does make it into the car it will be detuned to make less hp than an e63 (even with a PP). The NA version of the m157 engine (from the slk55) or the 4.7 v8 TT are also possibilities. So basically no one knows.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Does MB still use the NA AMG 6.2L-that-they-call-a-6.3 in anything?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

juche mane posted:

Does MB still use the NA AMG 6.2L-that-they-call-a-6.3 in anything?

Only in the SLS.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I bought this ('94 e320 with 114K miles) last week from the father of one of my son's best friends. He works at a VW/Audi/Benz dealership & picked it up for $600. Not sure if it was a lease turnback or a trade-in. He as the entire service history for the car, which was sold new by his employer.

It needed a couple of sensors and something like the EGR cleaned out (it was throwing codes). He had it fixed & gave it to his son, who rearended a pickup truck with it three weeks ago.

He sold it me for $600.

I performed several pulls on the radiator support & headlamp opening over the past couple of days. I need a hood, grille assembly, and the headlight/turn signal assembly. The wiper assembly is on it's way.

I still need to pull the passenger side front fender (or rather, it's inner mount) inwards towards centerline about 1/4"...there will be a gap at the hood otherwise. Then it's all bolt-on.

The car runs great. I'm surprised at how scarce a good shop manual by somebody other than the factory is. I'm not up for paying +$100 for a CD.

(edit) VVV Thanks! VVV

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2012

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

PainterofCrap posted:

I'm not up for paying +$100 for a CD.

The W124 factory manual is on Mercedes' Startek info for free:
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/12264/?requestedDocId=12264

You can sign up for startek info to get the Mercedes electronic parts catalog too.

Realjones
May 16, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Only in the SLS.

and the aforementioned C63 AMG. The new AMGs that use the 5.5L TT V8 also still go by 63 (e63 etc) so I don't see that naming convention changing anytime soon.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
does anyone know how the 2009 mercedes CLK convertables crash? can't find any crash test ratings. i'm looking at picking one of these up, but its gotta be safe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Checking out an 89 300te wagon today. What to watch out for?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Checking out an 89 300te wagon today. What to watch out for?

no SRS light (indicating SRS module needing replacement); smooth acceleration from complete stop (no jerking from clogged fuel injectors); smooth shifting within the transmission, no coolant leaking from waterpump.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's at an independent Mercedes shop in Reno. New waterpump, headgasket, etc., but couldn't drive it because another guy had already spoken to it. If he doesn't buy, though, I'll make an appointment to take it out. The leather was pretty much perfect, at least.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's at an independent Mercedes shop in Reno. New waterpump, headgasket, etc., but couldn't drive it because another guy had already spoken to it. If he doesn't buy, though, I'll make an appointment to take it out. The leather was pretty much perfect, at least.

Is it that shop off Harvard?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

On 4th. With all the broken European cars outside and one 70s Lincoln.

That 9-3, by the way, wasn't going to be the car for me. This 300 is huuuuge, but in a good and gentlemanly way. And it has a place for my pipe.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Wiggles posted:

On 4th. With all the broken European cars outside and one 70s Lincoln.

That 9-3, by the way, wasn't going to be the car for me. This 300 is huuuuge, but in a good and gentlemanly way. And it has a place for my pipe.

Oh. I was going to suggest to avoid that 'Import Repair' shop on Harvard. I saw them tow junkers and scavenge things when I lived near there ~20 years ago, and they sold many parts as 'new'; walking by there - was almost always an argument with a customer going on outside.

I really don't know what to think of a place on 4th - do you get a free gumjob from a methwhore if you buy the car? I'm picturing somewhere by the recycling/tire place by (former) Dave-os; I haven't been downtown (on purpose) for many years.

Shame about the 93; they are fun cars.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's metric motors. Pretty rough out front, but in the shop Elfar has all sorts of very nice cars stashed away being worked on. It's legit, I think. More a case of the neighborhood getting bad around the shop over time, maybe. Well, it's 4th street, but still.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's metric motors. Pretty rough out front, but in the shop Elfar has all sorts of very nice cars stashed away being worked on. It's legit, I think. More a case of the neighborhood getting bad around the shop over time, maybe. Well, it's 4th street, but still.

Yeah, well, half dozen of one, six of the other.

Your car is still listed, btw..

Metric Motors posted:

Sorry we do not except any E-mails from CL please call during regular business hours

ACCEPT! ACCEPT! ACCEPT! ACCEPT! ACCEPT! :supaburn:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Viggen posted:

Yeah, well, half dozen of one, six of the other.

Your car is still listed, btw..

I asked about the site and apparently it has no actual basis in reality - it's run by the owner's son and he just goes and updates once a week or something.

Anyway, I plan on going back and giving the thing a test drive next weekend if I have time and it's not sold. If it all works out, I might have a new late Christmas present to myself.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

dhrusis posted:

does anyone know how the 2009 mercedes CLK convertables crash? can't find any crash test ratings. i'm looking at picking one of these up, but its gotta be safe.
It's a Mercedes. Typically, whatever the model is, it's at the top of its class for safety.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get her an older merc instead of an appliance. She appreciates value and longevity, so I'm thinking about W123 diesel, which I know would be a solid choice, but I'm also a big fan of the W124 E-Class, and I'm willing to spend a bit more to pick up a well-maintained example. How much is too much for a well-taken-care-of 300E? This looks very attractive, for example:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/3484347861.html

Provided there are records available and the car does well on inspection, is ~5k a good price point to shoot for if I want a car that will last?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

The Third Man posted:

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me get her an older merc instead ... a good price point to shoot for if I want a car that will last?

Speaking as a married man, go for the appliance. There is no way any older mercedes will be as reliable and maintenance free as $5k corolla.

Unless she specifically wants an older mercedes (and by all means then, go for it) never buy your spouse a car because you want it.

Edit: You also want the 92 onward.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 19, 2012

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Well, I maintain all of my cars so doing the work isn't a problem. Is a well-maintained example really going to have more issues than a 10 year old corolla? Safety is also a concern, and I've been under the impression that Mercedes has always been at the top, even in their older cars. Is this not true?

92 onward Mercedes? I thought past the early/mid ninties the quality started to really go downhill, or did you mean the Toyota?

Feb 8, 2008
92-97 Mercedes had issues with the main engine wiring harness coming apart. Unless this has been specifically fixed, this issue will make owning one a nightmare.

I have an 86 300E that was reasonably low millage and very well maintained when I bought it. I do not use it is a daily driver, it stays in my garage mostly and just gets taken out on weekends or for trips. Due to the fuel injection system, you have to run premium only in these cars. So taking into consideration with the 18-22mpg economy, they do not make good daily drivers.

Maintenance history on any of these is important. The more documentation they have on that the better. In the 150K plus mileage expect to have to do a head gasket change at some point and more than likely injectors as well. I got mine for $2700 with 145k on it and will, all told, probably have to spend a couple thousand on maintenance items either done by me or my local import shop. Finding a good import mechanic is a must on these, unless you happen to be a MB trained tech yourself, they are... interestingly designed cars. Not really in a bad way, just in a very German way.

My car has some idling and hard starting issue that I have given up on trying to chase and will just hand over to my mechanic. You'll reach that point on one of these eventually.

All that being said, my 300E is by far the best car I have ever owned or drive. I've said it before in this thread, but there is nothing quite like getting it on the highway (even on my almost 30 year old car, 80 mph feels like 40 mph), pulling into the left lane and blasting past everyone. These cars have a very distinctive prow, coupled with the yellow euro style fog lights and people will and do get out of your way very quickly when they see you in their mirror.

They do not really enjoying being stuck in traffic or maneuvering around tight streets. This car was designed as a high speed Autobahn driving machine.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

7734 posted:

92-97 Mercedes had issues with the main engine wiring harness coming apart. Unless this has been specifically fixed, this issue will make owning one a nightmare.
True, but they got a block change. But, ya, the wiring.

7734 posted:

...best car....

Which again is totally legitimate, but does not make is a good daily driver for a wife.

The Third Man posted:

Well, I maintain all of my cars so doing the work isn't a problem.
....he said until he found out a washer fluid reservoir was $390. Or $250 off ebay.

The Third Man posted:

Is a well-maintained example really going to have more issues than a 10 year old corolla?
Your naivete is refreshing. But yes..so very much yes.

The Third Man posted:

Safety is also a concern, and I've been under the impression that Mercedes has always been at the top, even in their older cars. Is this not true?
This is a complete urban legend. Newer cars are wildly safer than older cars. The Mercedes was the pinacle of safety, and newer models remain so, but I would pick a new smart car versus an older Mercedes any day of the weeks if safety was my concern.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I appreciate your candor, maybe it's best to start looking at focus hatchbacks again. The only camry/corollas in my area in my price range are from the 90s and I'm not terribly excited about that.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

einTier posted:

It's a Mercedes. Typically, whatever the model is, it's at the top of its class for safety.

The facts don't disagree with this statement, but I found this new crash test surprising:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re-bX8t2WtI&t=165s

Many luxury cars, including the '09 C Class, test "POOR" in the IIHS' new minimal offset frontal crash test. It's a new test that many manufactures did not perform.
Only Acura and Volvo passed.

So I'm 450 miles away from my warranty expiring and I'm debating the extended warranty. It's a '10 GLK. Thus far it's been sound mechanically, but I've suffered interior issues with the screen and nav joystick controller.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have any experience with these? 560 SEC. I think it's one of the best looking cars MB has ever made. I sold my E420 since having 2 e-classes was kind of lame.

This is a good example, minus the ridiculous stereo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69502991@N06/6316688125/

ebay listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990...8#ht_842wt_1167

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Been driving around my new to me 300TE for almost a week now. It's pretty great.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How retarded is this.....

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3529646731.html

God drat, that engine bay is dirtier than my Rovers.... and it leaks oil and I drive it on gravel.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How retarded is this.....

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3529646731.html

God drat, that engine bay is dirtier than my Rovers.... and it leaks oil and I drive it on gravel.

That V12 probably leaks a little oil too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I will own a V12 MB one day but I'd pass on that one.