Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

spankmeister posted:

Hmm the XFCE spin of Fedora comes to mind, but I don't think there's a "lightweight" version of RHEL. Just do a minimal install, disable and remove anything you don't need and run XFCE/LXDE?

Exactly my thought, I'll just go with LXDE since it's prettier :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M31
Jun 12, 2012

alnilam posted:

I searched around more, and found out:
I don't know if this is possible with Ubuntu during installation, but if you have the option, use btrfs with compression instead of ext4 as your filesystem. Not only will this save like 1.5GB of space, it will actually be slightly faster (because cheap USB-sticks are god-awfully slow).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ashex posted:

Can anyone suggest a lightweight derivative of RHEL/CentOS?
I was running the LXDE spin of Fedora in a VM at work, but for some reason I went and switched to CentOS 6.3 (probably to mirror our Linux environment). It didn't have LXDE (but you can build it from Fedora SRPM's afaik)
so I just went with a GNOME 2 install. Works fine in a 1GB VM

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this.

Several times a day, my keyboard will start repeating keys even if I let go of the key or require multiple presses to get the keypress to register. It almost feels like the CPU is pegged and the keyboard polling is messed up.

At first I thought this was caused by PyCharm because the issue went away as soon as I closed it. However, today I've noticed it several times even when PyCharm isn't running. But even when I thought it was just PyCharm, the issue would persist system-wide, not just when I had PyCharm open. It definitely happens more often when PyCharm is running, and since PyCharm is kind of CPU-intensive what with it's dynamic inspection of python code for autocompletion and stuff, I'm wondering if maybe that feeling I get about the CPU usage and keyboard polling being correct.

It's super frustrating when your keyboard is behaving erratically, but I don't know what to do about this.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Ashex posted:

That's what this thread is for! Stick your samba config in a pastebin and post the link here. Someone will take a look at it and suggest something.

Do look at that group policy setting I mentioned though especially since you're using authentication. At my office for some reason the domain admin didn't set that via group policy. Whenever we get a new machine in QA that settings must be changed so they can access one of our samba shares.
http://pastebin.com/LDmTzCP2

One win7 computer works fine, one win7 computer can't connect to any of them. unknown computers seemed to work at the LAN I went to.

I'm sure its a setting on the one that can't connect, just not sure which one it is.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I was running the LXDE spin of Fedora in a VM at work, but for some reason I went and switched to CentOS 6.3 (probably to mirror our Linux environment). It didn't have LXDE (but you can build it from Fedora SRPM's afaik)

I want to stick with CentOS but I seriously can't figure out where thelxde srpms are. Even just sorting out which ones I need is a bitch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oftentimes one srpm produces several rpm's when built so there's that. Also you are looking for Fedora srpms, right?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Oftentimes one srpm produces several rpm's when built so there's that. Also you are looking for Fedora srpms, right?

Yep, problem I was having (I gave up and installed Fedora Spin) was all the newer packages on rpmfind were for mandriva and failed to rebuild since they use weird parameters in the spec file.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

ilkhan posted:

http://pastebin.com/LDmTzCP2

One win7 computer works fine, one win7 computer can't connect to any of them. unknown computers seemed to work at the LAN I went to.

I'm sure its a setting on the one that can't connect, just not sure which one it is.

Did you make the changes to group policy like I suggested?

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6911/1

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
edit: MY QUESTION IS STUPID PLEASE IGNORE MY QUESTION STUPID MUCH LIKE MYSELF

Also can you guys recommend an IRC channel I can ask those stupid questions in and not get yelled at? Does SHSC have an IRC?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 9, 2013

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Embarrassingly stupid question, but I just put Rhel6 on a VM to mess around with (interview on Friday, gotta remember Bash scripting lord help us all), I've put myself in sudoers but I still can't sudo. I know I'm not fatfingering the password because su works just fine.

I don't even know.

Also can you guys recommend an IRC channel I can ask those stupid questions in and not get yelled at? Does SHSC have an IRC?
1. Run this to add yourself to the wheel group:
usermod -a -G wheel YOURUSERNAME
2. just uncomment the wheel line in sudoers
3. log out
4. log back in
5. Run sudo su or something to check it out

Should do it. I generally don't add a user directly to sudoers.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Ok, I decided to try out Debian but I'm having the hardest time even getting the live cd (debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-gnome-desktop) to boot.

I copied it to a USB drive with unetbootin, but when I boot it up it shits a bunch of these errors: gtk-warning ** cannot open display: :0
I tried unplugging all but my main display, plugging it into the other dvi port, booting it up on my laptop, re-downloading/re-creating the bootable USB. Same results.
I installed VirtualBox and tried running it from there, but I haven't really used it before and couldn't get it to recognize any keyboard input (Aside the host keybinds like Ctrl + F, Ctrl + R).
I got a live cd of the testing branch from live.debian.net, but when I boot from that on either machine it just says "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart."

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Can somebody tell me why I can do this:

ping google.com | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_'

but if I try this, the output doesn't go to the file:

ping google.com | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_' > pings.txt
or
ping google.com | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_' &> pings.txt

Same if I try to pipe it to tee. I also for some reason can't pipe ping through gzip to a file, but this works fine:

ping google.com > pings.txt

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Hefty posted:

Ok, I decided to try out Debian but I'm having the hardest time even getting the live cd (debian-live-6.0.6-amd64-gnome-desktop) to boot.

I copied it to a USB drive with unetbootin, but when I boot it up it shits a bunch of these errors: gtk-warning ** cannot open display: :0
I tried unplugging all but my main display, plugging it into the other dvi port, booting it up on my laptop, re-downloading/re-creating the bootable USB. Same results.
I installed VirtualBox and tried running it from there, but I haven't really used it before and couldn't get it to recognize any keyboard input (Aside the host keybinds like Ctrl + F, Ctrl + R).
I got a live cd of the testing branch from live.debian.net, but when I boot from that on either machine it just says "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart."

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Looks like your X server either isn't running or there's a problem starting it up. I haven't had too much success with unetbootin either, since it does its own bootloader or something before calling whichever one it specified. I would probably inspect the image, figure out what the filesystem looks like, format the flash drive the same way, rsync the contents, and use dd to copy the boot sector. That, or (simpler) straight-up one-for-one slap the image on the flash drive by dd'ing the whole thing, though that means that you're throwing away space equivalent to the difference in size of the flash drive and the image.

JHVH-1 posted:

Can somebody tell me why I can do this:

ping google.com | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_'

but if I try this, the output doesn't go to the file:

ping google.com | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_' > pings.txt
or
ping google.com | perl -nle 'print scalar(localtime), " ", $_' &> pings.txt

Same if I try to pipe it to tee. I also for some reason can't pipe ping through gzip to a file, but this works fine:

ping google.com > pings.txt

Maybe it's not flushing its output? There's some amount of buffering that usually happens when piping or redirecting output, if I recall?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Maybe it's not flushing its output? There's some amount of buffering that usually happens when piping or redirecting output, if I recall?

You know what, maybe I just didn't wait long enough. It seems to spurt out a bunch of output at a time.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Looks like your X server either isn't running or there's a problem starting it up. I haven't had too much success with unetbootin either, since it does its own bootloader or something before calling whichever one it specified. I would probably inspect the image, figure out what the filesystem looks like, format the flash drive the same way, rsync the contents, and use dd to copy the boot sector. That, or (simpler) straight-up one-for-one slap the image on the flash drive by dd'ing the whole thing, though that means that you're throwing away space equivalent to the difference in size of the flash drive and the image.

That's weird, I haven't had a problem with it in the past. Looking at the Debian docs, they suggest dd'ing the whole image, so I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

JHVH-1 posted:

You know what, maybe I just didn't wait long enough. It seems to spurt out a bunch of output at a time.

$| = 1

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums

Bob Morales posted:

Why not use something good, like i3wm?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Saint Darwin posted:

Freenode - #linux, #ubuntu, #debian...etc

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

Good self-deprecated humor, chap. Don't feel stupid for not figuring out something mainly built by beards that birds can live in. If you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask them. Nobody in here will rat on you "for being stupid" (because you're not), because we're not assholes.

Saint Darwin posted:

There's usually focus channels for all sorts of various tech products. Are you having issues with bash? Go to ##bash! Usually, your distribution channel to hang out. When I was in #ubuntu a little while ago, it was the busiest thing I've ever seen where everybody was asking questions and nobody was getting answers, but I checked again today and it looks like it's slowed down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Good self-deprecated humor, chap. Don't feel stupid for not figuring out something mainly built by beards that birds can live in. If you still have questions, don't be afraid to ask them. Nobody in here will rat on you "for being stupid" (because you're not), because we're not assholes.
They will on IRC ;)

There's also UbuntuForums or FedoraForums or whatever distro he's using

And stuff like AskUbuntu or the Unix StackExchange site

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

They will on IRC ;)

And call them out on it when it happens. The Fedora channel, for instance, has a policy against "RTFM" or other quotables. Answer questions if you can, shut up if you can't. I assume other channels have other policies.

The more we encourage Saint Darwin's retraction and allow people to feel stupid by not knowing the magic incantations to type some magic box full of green-on-black text, or which magic pixels to click on in a field full of magic pixels, the more we'll lose.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Suspicious Dish posted:

And call them out on it when it happens. The Fedora channel, for instance, has a policy against "RTFM" or other quotables. Answer questions if you can, shut up if you can't. I assume other channels have other policies.
The arch channel doesn't have such restrictions. But that's the arch community in a nutshell really.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

The more we encourage Saint Darwin's retraction and allow people to feel stupid by not knowing the magic incantations to type some magic box full of green-on-black text, or which magic pixels to click on in a field full of magic pixels, the more we'll lose.

They're not usually too bad if your English is somewhat decent, you don't repeat yourself or demand answers, don't ask the simplest questions ever, and actually ask an on-topic question.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
My question was horribly stupid, no two ways around it. In my defense, it only confused me for about 5 minutes, because my former place of employment did things a bit less secure than, well, anywhere, since it was all internal dev stations and all (not an excuse).

Anyway thanks for the channel suggestions. I'm messing with RHEL6 because it's what my job interview on Friday is about, and it's what I was using before, so might as well keep this going. Mostly just trying to cram some more info about Bash scripting into my head and praying they don't ask me to write script with pen and paper, because I can't do that.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Anyone on Fedora 18? I just installed RC4 to give it go, coming from Arch. Does anyone have any idea how to get Fedora 18 to stop using llvmpipe even when I have Nouveau installed?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You need to be in 'video' to have permissions for DRI. You may also have success re-installing the mesa packages.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

ArcticZombie posted:

Anyone on Fedora 18? I just installed RC4 to give it go, coming from Arch. Does anyone have any idea how to get Fedora 18 to stop using llvmpipe even when I have Nouveau installed?

This is a plymouth bug, sudo systemctl restart gdm.service should fix it. Also try upgrading with the updates-testing repo enabled, but be prepared if stuff breaks.

Note that Fedora 18 is considered final, but we have two potential candidates for install ISOs that we're still choosing between.

evol262 posted:

You need to be in 'video' to have permissions for DRI.

This has not been true for ages.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I've been running Fedora 18 with XFCE for a couple weeks with few problems. Initially I did a yum upgrade from Fedora 17 and thought there were problems with XFCE power manager not working. I did a reinstall from test LiveUSB and it persisted. Turns out that a systemd component does power button and lid closed power management.

Besides that it's been a very stable evolution.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I need to flash the BIOS on an old machine currently running CentOS 6, and I've never really done this before. Googling around seems to indicate that this is not a particularly simple process, and Gigabyte only seems to have a .exe file available for my particular board(http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2579&dl=1#ov).

Can anyone tell me what the best way to proceed with this is? I've downloaded flashrom and have been reading through the manpages for it, but it's not been terribly helpful.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

The Third Man posted:

I need to flash the BIOS on an old machine currently running CentOS 6, and I've never really done this before. Googling around seems to indicate that this is not a particularly simple process, and Gigabyte only seems to have a .exe file available for my particular board(http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2579&dl=1#ov).

Can anyone tell me what the best way to proceed with this is? I've downloaded flashrom and have been reading through the manpages for it, but it's not been terribly helpful.

Looks like those .exe files are actually self-extracting 7-Zip files. Inside there's a .F6 file which is the actual BIOS image. Get p7zip, extract the .F6, and follow the manual to perform the update from inside the BIOS UI. You'll probably need a FAT32 flash drive; GIGABYTE doesn't speak ext3.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

I added user authentication to external users on my file server which is working pretty well, only problem is the apps on my phone don't work now :/

Anyone know how to modify the below config to allow access to /appname/api? /appname varies a bit but there's only 3 or 4 so if a wildcard won't work I can list it.

code:
<Location />
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    AuthType Digest
    AuthName "Gaia"
    AuthDigestDomain /srv/http/ http://192.168.1.11

AuthDigestProvider file
    AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/passwords
    Require valid-user
    SetEnv R_ENV "/srv/http"
    Allow from 192.168.1.0/24
    Satisfy Any
</Location>

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!
<LocationMatch /api$>
Satisfy any
Order deny,allow
</locationMatch>

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

covener posted:

<LocationMatch /api$>
Satisfy any
Order deny,allow
</locationMatch>

So this kinda works, /appname/api doesn't have a prompt but /appname/api/foo does :/

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Ashex posted:

So this kinda works, /appname/api doesn't have a prompt but /appname/api/foo does :/

maybe ^[^/]+/api/ then.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

This is a plymouth bug, sudo systemctl restart gdm.service should fix it. Also try upgrading with the updates-testing repo enabled, but be prepared if stuff breaks.

Note that Fedora 18 is considered final, but we have two potential candidates for install ISOs that we're still choosing between.

I ended up installing the proprietary NVIDIA ones, but thanks anyway.

Next question, I seem to have 2 different file managers which are set to default for different things. I have Nemo and Files. Is it meant to be this way or is it because I chose Cinnamon as my DE and it came with another file manager?

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 11, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nemo is the Cinnamon file manager, yes.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I need to put Linux on something with just a floppy drive. Was going to do Slackware 8.1 since that seems to be the last with floppy installs but should I consider something else? 166mhz Pentium MMX and 96MB RAM.

e: I see rootdisks up to 11 but they go from 5 disks to 2 after 8.1 which makes me think there's a little more to work with on the set of 5 floppies.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 12, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

I need to put Linux on something with just a floppy drive. Was going to do Slackware 8.1 since that seems to be the last with floppy installs but should I consider something else? 166mhz Pentium MMX and 96MB RAM.

e: I see rootdisks up to 11 but they go from 5 disks to 2 after 8.1 which makes me think there's a little more to work with on the set of 5 floppies.

What? No parallel Zip drive laying around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

ACID POLICE posted:

Is this just for fun? Because there are probably better ways to get linux onto the computer if you need to. For example, by installing it directly to the hard drive using another computer, or throwing out the harddrive and replacing it with a compactflash card.