Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

fivre posted:

I'm guessing 1099, since it's direct through the company I'd work at.

I'm no tax guy, but as an IT guy that sees lots of different contracting scenarios, 5K isn't worth going 1099. The extra payroll taxes alone will eat that up completely. From what I've seen usually people that 1099 contract with companies make 2.5 to 3 times the hourly equivalent of a normal W2 Full Time Employee. No benefits, vacation, or payroll taxes with the 1099 person. Usually only for short term consultancies as well.

5K isn't worth going with a W2 contractor either, staffing firms have terrible (if any) benefits, no 401K match, no vacation time, etc. Personally I'm a big fan of normal FTE status if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Whelp, IRS is now saying 1/30 due to the bill that was passed on 1/1. Better than 2/14 or "late March" though?

That's going to hammer the companies that rely on the "file with a paystub" people. Oh well.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.
So I'm trying to get a head start on taxes and I'm not quite sure I'm doing this right. I'm currently enrolled in a graduate student as of January 2012 and am paying for it out of pocket, but am being reimbursed through my employer.

I didn't realize I got a 1098-T last year (I paid in 2011 for classes in 2012), would I have been able to deduct that from my taxes (I know it's too late now :( )?

This year, I just need to add the amount listed on the 1098-T as educational expenses and then subtract the amount reimbursed by the company, correct?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Just a quick question, trying to determine if and to what extent some people have been full of poo poo.

Towards the beginning of this year, I worked in D.C. for just under a month. I live in Virginia. My D.C. job never took money out of my check to cover D.C. taxes, only Virginia. I brought this up with my boss multiple times, and he claimed I did not have to pay taxes in D.C., his reasoning being, "Virginia is a Commonwealth".

This sounded like a load of poo poo to me then and now, but when I hear about D.C. traffic cams being used as a, "back door commuter tax" I wonder if maybe Virginia residents really don't pay taxes in D.C.

I'm also worried about getting a w-2 from this employer as shortly after I left their D.C. location shut down. I don't know if the entire business did. What do I do if they don't send me a w-2, just guess how much money I made?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Tweek posted:

he claimed I did not have to pay taxes in D.C., his reasoning being, "Virginia is a Commonwealth"

Awesome.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

SuperSpiff posted:

This year, I just need to add the amount listed on the 1098-T as educational expenses and then subtract the amount reimbursed by the company, correct?

Correct.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I know the thread title says "US tax questions," but hopefully this is broad enough that someone knows it.

If you are a US citizen living in Ireland, and you make money via both a full-time job in Ireland and via book royalties paid into a US bank account by US-based publishers, do Irish taxes apply on the royalty income? I know I still have to file taxes in the USA for the full-time job, but almost certainly won't owe anything after the foreign tax exclusion. I have no idea what happens with royalty income, though, other than that in the USA I'd have to pay quarterly estimates and owe SE tax on it.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Don't let dogs get any part of fish.
This is going to be my first year filing taxes since getting married and having a mortgage for a full year. I've been thinking that this is going to be A Big Deal that is going to make filing my own taxes a lot more difficult, but the more I'm looking at it, I might just be better off taking the standard deduction as usual rather than itemizing my mortgage stuff in there and making it complicated.

We paid $1700 in property taxes in 2012 and my best calculation of the interest I would have paid on my mortgage comes out to about $7000 (haven't gotten a form from my mortgage company yet or my wife shredded it accidently, but this number is from using a loan calculator that I'm confident of). I'm not sure if PMI is deductable or not, but my calculations show that would have been around $1800 paid. I don't really have anything at all else that I would consider deductable since we're pretty much just both regular W2 earners with nothing else going and no kids or anything.

Am I missing something big that would make itemizing a better idea, or do I have this figured out right? $11900 standard deduction better than $10500 or $8700 (if no PMI), yes?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

smashthedean posted:

This is going to be my first year filing taxes since getting married and having a mortgage for a full year. I've been thinking that this is going to be A Big Deal that is going to make filing my own taxes a lot more difficult, but the more I'm looking at it, I might just be better off taking the standard deduction as usual rather than itemizing my mortgage stuff in there and making it complicated.

We paid $1700 in property taxes in 2012 and my best calculation of the interest I would have paid on my mortgage comes out to about $7000 (haven't gotten a form from my mortgage company yet or my wife shredded it accidently, but this number is from using a loan calculator that I'm confident of). I'm not sure if PMI is deductable or not, but my calculations show that would have been around $1800 paid. I don't really have anything at all else that I would consider deductable since we're pretty much just both regular W2 earners with nothing else going and no kids or anything.

Am I missing something big that would make itemizing a better idea, or do I have this figured out right? $11900 standard deduction better than $10500 or $8700 (if no PMI), yes?

State and local income taxes or state and local sales taxes are also deductible in your itemized deductions. Those are the most likely things to push you over the standard deduction amount.

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

We're in Washington state so there are no state or local income taxes. We didn't save all of our grocery receipts and stuff to add up sales tax either so I'm guessing we'd be out of luck there.

smashthedean fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 10, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SuperSpiff posted:

So I'm trying to get a head start on taxes and I'm not quite sure I'm doing this right. I'm currently enrolled in a graduate student as of January 2012 and am paying for it out of pocket, but am being reimbursed through my employer.

I didn't realize I got a 1098-T last year (I paid in 2011 for classes in 2012), would I have been able to deduct that from my taxes (I know it's too late now :( )?

If I understand you correctly and you got a 1098-T in 2011 and want to retroactively claim the credits, couldn't you just file an amended tax return (form 1040X)?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how to actually do this and could very possibly be completely wrong.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

smashthedean posted:

We're in Washington state so there are no state or local income taxes. We didn't save all of our grocery receipts and stuff to add up sales tax either so I'm guessing we'd be out of luck there.

IRS posted:

If you didn’t save all your receipts, you can still choose to claim state and local sales taxes. You could fill out the worksheet and use the optional general sales tax tables in the Instructions for Schedule A (Form 1040) , but why not take the easy route and use the Sales Tax Deduction Calculator!

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Sales-Tax-Deduction-Calculator

Use that to figure out how much you can deduct. This is one of those instances where the IRS is really nice about something.

EDIT: I just tried to run it myself and the calculator hasn't been updated for 2012 yet. Someone earlier in the thread said that the state and local sales tax deduction has been renewed though so you're gonna have to wait until the IRS gets their poo poo together.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 10, 2013

smashthedean
Jul 10, 2006

Nice! It actually looks like there is a sales tax calculator built into TaxAct's efile that is current for 2012, but it looks like I'm still coming up short compared to the standard deduction. I'm okay with this though.

Thanks for your help! :)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

State and local income taxes or state and local sales taxes are also deductible in your itemized deductions. Those are the most likely things to push you over the standard deduction amount.

If you deduct state/local INCOME tax, you are not allowed to exempt sales tax AT ALL? Or are you just not allowed to use the "calculator" method?

e: In P519 (the 2011 version), I'm not seeing this explicitly extended to non-resident aliens (while deducting income tax is allowed). Bummer.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 10, 2013

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you deduct state/local INCOME tax, you are not allowed to exempt sales tax AT ALL? Or are you just not allowed to use the "calculator" method?

Can't deduct both at the same time. It's an either/or thing. The reason the sales tax deduction was implemented was to give a hand to people in states with no income tax.

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Shear Modulus posted:

If I understand you correctly and you got a 1098-T in 2011 and want to retroactively claim the credits, couldn't you just file an amended tax return (form 1040X)?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how to actually do this and could very possibly be completely wrong.

That'd be awesome if I could, but I thought that the deadline for amended returns was March of last year? I am also possibly completely wrong about this.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

SuperSpiff posted:

That'd be awesome if I could, but I thought that the deadline for amended returns was March of last year? I am also possibly completely wrong about this.

Typically up to your last three years' worth of returns are considered "open" and can be amended.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Sundae posted:

I know the thread title says "US tax questions," but hopefully this is broad enough that someone knows it.

If you are a US citizen living in Ireland, and you make money via both a full-time job in Ireland and via book royalties paid into a US bank account by US-based publishers, do Irish taxes apply on the royalty income? I know I still have to file taxes in the USA for the full-time job, but almost certainly won't owe anything after the foreign tax exclusion. I have no idea what happens with royalty income, though, other than that in the USA I'd have to pay quarterly estimates and owe SE tax on it.

You'll want to review the applicable tax treaty but you will most likely find a provision that says if the income is from a US based business and you are not operating that business in Ireland, the royalties are only taxable to the US and not to Ireland. Probably.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I filed through TurboTax last year, using the windows client. Both of my backups are gone. No idea, I've spent a ton of time looking for the printout I had saved, as well as the digital copies I had backed up. Cannot find any of it.

Because I had used the client instead of the web interface, TurboTax doesn't keep your file online, so I can see the other years returns, but not 2011.

I did some 179 business expenses last year, so I need to find the form to see what the heck I did last year. Any ideas?

edit: They do it for free! Call the IRS at (800) 908-9946

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 11, 2013

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

I filed through TurboTax last year, using the windows client. Both of my backups are gone. No idea, I've spent a ton of time looking for the printout I had saved, as well as the digital copies I had backed up. Cannot find any of it.

Because I had used the client instead of the web interface, TurboTax doesn't keep your file online, so I can see the other years returns, but not 2011.

I did some 179 business expenses last year, so I need to find the form to see what the heck I did last year. Any ideas?

edit: They do it for free! Call the IRS at (800) 908-9946

Unfortunately the IRS won't have a depreciation schedule so they won't be able to tell you WHAT you §179'd, but it is a lot better than nothing and perhaps you can back into it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
noted: nm

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 11, 2013

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

dog nougat posted:

So for the past year or so I've been getting paid cash and have been paying no tax. I have however been paying back my student loans with this..approx $600/month. I know this will get reported to the IRS. How likely is it that the IRS will come after me? I'm not sure exactly how much I've worked the past year either, as I don't get any pay stubs.

Edit: I should add that I deposit most, but not all of my money into a bank account with Bank of America, this is how I pay my loans now prior to this I just used postal money orders, but wasn't comfortable having piles of cash sitting around my apartment.

Edit 2: I never gave my employer my ssn put filled out any paperwork. So as fat as the government knows I'm effectively unemployed until the loan companies report payments of such amount were made this year.

Nobody wants to help you figure out the best way to cheat on your taxes.

dalp
Oct 7, 2002
I have a 1098-T question. I'm a graduate student and the scholarship/grant amount exceeds the tuition/fee amount.

It seems that the school isn't including the fees for health insurance and a couple of smaller things, but as a graduate student we receive some assistance for the health insurance, which is included in the scholarship amount.

So it ends up like this:

Tuition/Fees: $11,604
Scholarship/Grants: $12,141
Paid out of pocket to the school for fees: $988

I guess my question is, do things like health insurance provided by the school really not count as fees? I guess that would make sense, but if they were the tuition/fees should equal my scholarship/grants amount.

dalp fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 11, 2013

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

dog nougat posted:

So for the past year or so I've been getting paid cash and have been paying no tax.

Unlike Admiral killfun over here, I actually am willing to give you advice regarding cheating on your taxes.

Don't post about it on a public forum.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

wwb posted:

So, my sister and I inherited a lovely property in upstate new york. So lovely no bank would write a loan against it, so when we were selling it we were forced to do a seller financed mortgage or hold it. We sold but now I'm dealing with the tax implications.

Anyhow, I reside in DC. My sister resides overseas but for US state purposes files in MD. Do we need to file NY state income taxes for the income we get from the interest on this mortgage?

Anyone? Happy to provide more details if it helps.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Tweek posted:

Unlike Admiral killfun over here, I actually am willing to give you advice regarding cheating on your taxes.

Don't post about it on a public forum.

Way to kill the vibe, man. I mean, we have a forum dedicated to illegal drugs, but we can't talk about tax fraud?

Jessi Bond
May 2, 2007

Daddy's girl's a fucking monster.
Hey furu, I emailed you last week to get in touch again about my tax prep but I haven't heard back. Are you backlogged or should I send it again? I know last time I got caught in your spam filters so I just wanted to check in. Thanks :)

For content: I went to file a DBA today for my sole proprietorship. I did it because I need a legal document stating that I can do business under a name that is not my own, for the records of a specific place I'll be working with (otherwise, they would display my full legal name on the internet and that is not ideal for me). So now I have a "company name." Will this affect my taxes at all? Should I re-submit W9s to all the places I work with, with the company name "business name if different from above" form, or does it not matter? Will I need to mention the name of the company when I file?

Also I'm assuming I should save the receipt from the DBA filing costs, as that should be deductible. Parking was only $1 so I didn't bother getting a receipt, but for future reference, would that have been deductible as well?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Jessi Bond posted:

Hey furu, I emailed you last week to get in touch again about my tax prep but I haven't heard back. Are you backlogged or should I send it again? I know last time I got caught in your spam filters so I just wanted to check in. Thanks :)

For content: I went to file a DBA today for my sole proprietorship. I did it because I need a legal document stating that I can do business under a name that is not my own, for the records of a specific place I'll be working with (otherwise, they would display my full legal name on the internet and that is not ideal for me). So now I have a "company name." Will this affect my taxes at all? Should I re-submit W9s to all the places I work with, with the company name "business name if different from above" form, or does it not matter? Will I need to mention the name of the company when I file?

Also I'm assuming I should save the receipt from the DBA filing costs, as that should be deductible. Parking was only $1 so I didn't bother getting a receipt, but for future reference, would that have been deductible as well?

I would think you don't need to send new W-9s unless you actually have a new EIN. The IRS only matches to your tax ID, so the DBA shouldn't matter to them. I also vote yes on deducting parking

Also I sure hope you're putting "smut-peddler" on the "occupation" line of your 1040 :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Soooo I'm almost certain this is going to be a "hire a professional" response, but I want to check the relative complexity of the following tax setup:

* Car donation to charity
* Mortgage interest
* Home improvement interest (need to ask about this, below)
* Several 1099s, both self and spouse
* IRA rollover (Traditional -> Roth)
* Charity donations

I'm planning on using TurboTax (I get a discount through my credit union :hellyeah:), and I'm fairly certain most of these can be easily handled by the software and spit a number out at me. Still, it's worth checking if there's any ambiguous stuff that's going to make me hate myself.

As far as the home improvement stuff goes, I basically have a loan I took out through Wells Fargo to repair our house's sewer line, which completely collapsed (:stare:) last year or so. Can I count interest from the loan automatically as a home improvement loan, or does there need to be special designation/paperwork for it?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm having trouble figuring out if I can deduct my tuition from my income for 2012. Most of the resources I'm finding refer to undergrad tuition, I'm working full time and paying for my MS out of pocket. If I itemize can I deduct tuition? What if I take the standard deduction?

TheWintergreen
Sep 25, 2007
Pretty simple question here. Me and my girl got married on the 28th of December of last year. Obviously all of her W-2 and school tuition forms state her maiden name for 2012. She changed her last name a few days ago at the Social Security office to mine.

What should I put on the taxes as her name? (we're filing married joint) I am afraid to put her new last name because all of her forms and records (besides now just her social security card) still list her old name. I figure I might as well just do her maiden name this year, then for Taxes for 2013, put her new last name. For all intents and purposes, every record in 2012 will list her maiden name.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

quote:

I'm having trouble figuring out if I can deduct my tuition from my income for 2012. Most of the resources I'm finding refer to undergrad tuition, I'm working full time and paying for my MS out of pocket. If I itemize can I deduct tuition? What if I take the standard deduction?

Depending on your income, you're going to be best off claiming the Lifetime Learning credit (too high of income can phase out lifetime learning credit eligibility). This is not affected by whether you itemize or not.

quote:

Pretty simple question here. Me and my girl got married on the 28th of December of last year. Obviously all of her W-2 and school tuition forms state her maiden name for 2012. She changed her last name a few days ago at the Social Security office to mine.

What should I put on the taxes as her name? (we're filing married joint) I am afraid to put her new last name because all of her forms and records (besides now just her social security card) still list her old name. I figure I might as well just do her maiden name this year, then for Taxes for 2013, put her new last name. For all intents and purposes, every record in 2012 will list her maiden name.

Use the last name that she had at the end of the tax year. This is a really irrelevant question because the IRS identifies taxpayers by their social security numbers.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Admiral101 posted:

Use the last name that she had at the end of the tax year. This is a really irrelevant question because the IRS identifies taxpayers by their social security numbers.

Disagree, they go off whatever the SSA has for her name, and if she tries to e-file with the wrong name it'll get rejected.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Quote is not edit

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
If you're filing as a self-employed person and didn't send in the quarterly payments, what kind of penalties are you looking at if you try to do it all at once at the end of the year?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

Soooo I'm almost certain this is going to be a "hire a professional" response, but I want to check the relative complexity of the following tax setup:

* Car donation to charity
* Mortgage interest
* Home improvement interest (need to ask about this, below)
* Several 1099s, both self and spouse
* IRA rollover (Traditional -> Roth)
* Charity donations

I'm planning on using TurboTax (I get a discount through my credit union :hellyeah:), and I'm fairly certain most of these can be easily handled by the software and spit a number out at me. Still, it's worth checking if there's any ambiguous stuff that's going to make me hate myself.

As far as the home improvement stuff goes, I basically have a loan I took out through Wells Fargo to repair our house's sewer line, which completely collapsed (:stare:) last year or so. Can I count interest from the loan automatically as a home improvement loan, or does there need to be special designation/paperwork for it?

Car - They'll send you a 1098-C if you're going to try and claim more than $500 for the car deduction. This might hold you up, make sure you read up on this. Instructions are pretty clear.
Mortgage interest - no problem as long as it's not over $1mm in loans
Home imp int - go ahead and deduct on sch a, make sure the loan isn't over $100k or it might be disallowed. Just google if you still need help.
1099 - depends on what kind (int/div/c/a/misc)
IRA - not a big deal either
Charity - not a big deal

Mattism
May 22, 2007

Unicorn Vomit posted:

If you're filing as a self-employed person and didn't send in the quarterly payments, what kind of penalties are you looking at if you try to do it all at once at the end of the year?

Underpayment penalties.

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
My company has two plants roughly 30 miles apart in different cities. Normally I work in one plant and rarely have to visit the other. This Summer I had to work at the other plant, driving there everyday from my house. Total miles, to and from, for the entire Summer added up to ~1800 miles. My company does not reimburse me mileage to visit the other plant.

If I already itemize, can I deduct the mileage on my taxes?

VVV Shucks :(

Stryguy fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 15, 2013

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Stryguy posted:

My company has two plants roughly 30 miles apart in different cities. Normally I work in one plant and rarely have to visit the other. This Summer I had to work at the other plant, driving there everyday from my house. Total miles, to and from, for the entire Summer added up to ~1800 miles. My company does not reimburse me mileage to visit the other plant.

If I already itemize, can I deduct the mileage on my taxes?

You use the standard IRS mileage rate and it goes as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% AGI limitation. Practical answer: doesn't help much.

Also, if you're ever examined, the IRS/state will demand to look at your employee manual to see what it says about mileage reimbursement, and then ask you if you ever submitted a request for reimbursement from your manager in writing. Fun times.

TL; DR: not really worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
I worked for two employers this year. Between the two of them I contributed $17,080 in total across the two 401k traditional, non-roth plans (my mistake).

I simply want to understand what my options are here. I am looking for the easiest course of action. Can I do nothing and just get automatically assessed some penalty on the over contribution? Or will I need to contact a plan administrator, go through all of that jazz, get a 1099R and an amended W2 (maybe?)?

kansas fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 15, 2013