Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Whoops, replied to the wrong thread, I am a dummy who had too many tabs open. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Speaking of obscure things, I only noticed recently that the Hollywood street song is a Jimmy Hart version of the opening to Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I still think the main theme on the menu is Massive Attack even though it isn't :(

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I still think the main theme on the menu is Massive Attack even though it isn't :(

Theres no way in hell it isnt a remix of Angel.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
so my laptop runs this so well that i seem to be getting tearing, and random textures in the top fifth of the screen blurring/disappearing. i'm using the widescreen mod linked in the thread (not the one in the unofficial patch) if that matters. is there a vsync option or settings i can change?

it makes me laugh that i used to sit through minute+ loading screens and deal with a plethora of bugs and framerate issues to play this game because it was just that drat good.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

Agreed.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

niff posted:

so my laptop runs this so well that i seem to be getting tearing, and random textures in the top fifth of the screen blurring/disappearing. i'm using the widescreen mod linked in the thread (not the one in the unofficial patch) if that matters. is there a vsync option or settings i can change?

it makes me laugh that i used to sit through minute+ loading screens and deal with a plethora of bugs and framerate issues to play this game because it was just that drat good.

I had the same problem a few days ago. For me, reinstalling the game and just using the built-in respatch fixed it, but apparently forcing vsync and triple buffering on in your GPU's control panel also works.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Is there a trick to setting the Steam version of the game up to use the console? Starting the game from vampire.exe just gives me a 'failed to find Steam' message. I want to use noclip as I seem to have run into a glitch in the Warrens - I'm in a tunnel full of water getting sucked towards a wheel, there's a ladder but I can't go up it for some reason.
V Great thanks, the OP says to make a shortcut which wasn't working at all.

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 18, 2012

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Crashbee posted:

Is there a trick to setting the Steam version of the game up to use the console?
Right click on the game's entry in your steam library and go to "Properties". Under the "General" tab click on "set launch options". Type in "-console" and hit ok.
Next time you boot the game you should be able to open the console with the tilde key.

niff
Jul 4, 2010
So after this runthrough I'm gonna do a fresh install and try the CQM with my favourite, the Gangrel. I don't think I'll use the P&P mod or the Arsenal mod at all, but I am looking forward to playing through in a 'new' way with the CE and wesp's tweaks.

I generally do a Protean (not war form)/Fortitude/Brawl/Strength build with dexterity/sneak and computer knowledge with the spare points. How drastically does gameplay change with those mods applied?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Gah, I need help.

I am on my first playthrough and I got the wesp patch. Right now I am on the library level and I am stuck at the cutscene, where either it will activate the trigger but won't exit the cutscene after the animations; or it will not trigger the cutscene at all leaving me with a big room with inactive NPC's.

I started with patch version 8.4, and then upgraded it to 8.4.2 when this trouble started but it wasn't fixed. It will do the former scenario the first time I activate the trigger, but then go to the latter until I replace the la_library_1.bsp.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix?

Edit: okay fixed it somewhat, turns out that an important NPC was not spawning and thus couldn't force himself to talk to you after killing another NPC.

I the 'fix' is that you need to play through the level from Downtown, and go through it without saving, or loading a save.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 22, 2012

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

LordLeckie posted:

I don't know if I'd necessarily say it's a full on remix. It's definitely very heavily inspired by Angel, though (and to be fair, Angel does make an excellent Vampire song. Have a video of the music set to clips from the 1932 German film, Vampyr. http://youtu.be/sGdi1aPIaZ4)

Loomer fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 22, 2012

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Loomer posted:

I don't know if I'd necessarily say it's a full on remix. It's definitely very heavily inspired by Angel, though (and to be fair, Angel does make an excellent Vampire song. Have a video of the music set to clips from the 1932 German film, Vampyr.)

Pretty much everything about the music in the game is spot on really, only thing i wish is that there was more of it, i even ended up getting into music that there was only posters of around in game (Collide) but not actually played.

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009
Got this off Steam and have been playing it since the weekend. The last time I played this game was when it first came out and I’d forgotten how good it is. This is just a fantastic RPG, interesting NPCs, cool quests, great music and amazing atmosphere.

Playing a Toreador with high social skills and low combat skills. I’m in Downtown having just completed the Grout mansion mission. I’ve got through most boss fights so far using a lot of Blood Buff and Celerity as firearms aren’t cutting it at the moment.

I’m thinking about my next playthrough and I want to do the complete opposite. Really high combat skills and low social skills. What clan’s the most overpowered in close combat? I figure it’s between Brujah and Gangrel and am interested in hearing others thoughts.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

swoollacott posted:

Got this off Steam and have been playing it since the weekend. The last time I played this game was when it first came out and I’d forgotten how good it is. This is just a fantastic RPG, interesting NPCs, cool quests, great music and amazing atmosphere.

Playing a Toreador with high social skills and low combat skills. I’m in Downtown having just completed the Grout mansion mission. I’ve got through most boss fights so far using a lot of Blood Buff and Celerity as firearms aren’t cutting it at the moment.

I’m thinking about my next playthrough and I want to do the complete opposite. Really high combat skills and low social skills. What clan’s the most overpowered in close combat? I figure it’s between Brujah and Gangrel and am interested in hearing others thoughts.

Ive never done the number crunching but a warform gangrel can put out some good unsoakable damage, though i think in the end melee just slightly edges it out damage wise? Im not sure how valuable the unsoakable damage part is but given by lategame you're up against a lot of supernatural nasties it might be the one to go for.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LordLeckie posted:

Ive never done the number crunching but a warform gangrel can put out some good unsoakable damage, though i think in the end melee just slightly edges it out damage wise? Im not sure how valuable the unsoakable damage part is but given by lategame you're up against a lot of supernatural nasties it might be the one to go for.

A warform Gangrel is a lot of fun...the most fun turns out to be lighting up maximum Fortitude and watching guns just bounce off of you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I feel like the OP, or more importantly, the second post, needs an update, but I haven't really screwed around with any other mods that are worth half a poo poo. Any takers wanna whip up a guide, or is the Can Quest Mod really the only good alternative option around, still?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The Clan Quest Mod is still really the only worthwhile option, especially since the latest versions integrate a lot of the smaller mods that have been released.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I got around the "Unable to find Steam" message, and now I'm having a different error pop up; it says "Problem checking Steam application." Game runs fine in vanilla when I open it through steam, but mod doesn't appear.

...the hell?

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
So I just recently added the Camarilla Mods and Clan quest stuff and I was wondering how the online college works. Everytime I go to my email and try to gain a point in anything it just takes my money and blood doesn't give me the point in the skill or talent or knowledge i spent it on. Is their a fix to this or am I boned? I really wanna burn the money i have and save my XP for Blood Buff and heal. TIA.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I played through this once before and never felt bad for anything I did. But I started a new game as a Malkavian dude and demented Officer Chunk into thinking he was a worthless jello man and he just stood in front of the painting museum sobbing until I left for Downtown. :( Last time I played a female toreador and the seduce options turn him into a jolly fat fellow which was way better.

Also the zombie bishop guy was almost impossible with a melee Malkavian. The best I could do was use some Dementor spell to freeze him for a couple seconds when he tried to reload and give him a few whacks with the fire axe and then run away. And use tons of blood packs in between. I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a better way to do it. At least I can afford tons of blood packs since I can't use guns though.

e: The Ocean Front Hotel still sent chills down my spine even though I remembered almost exactly how it plays out. I don't know what makes that place seem so creepy, it's basically a video game haunted house.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

The Ocean Front Hotel still sent chills down my spine even though I remembered almost exactly how it plays out. I don't know what makes that place seem so creepy, it's basically a video game haunted house.

I've played that game with cheats on (wasn't going to die no matter what) and also with knowing what was coming up and I still jumped now and then. I know how that goes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Is anyone having trouble downloading the Clan Quest Mod from filefront? I tried to download it and I just get a file not found error.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Yeah, I've been trying to download it for like two weeks now but it keeps messing up.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

CactarHero posted:

I've played that game with cheats on (wasn't going to die no matter what) and also with knowing what was coming up and I still jumped now and then. I know how that goes.

Same here. Even when I use goddamn noclip I'm still freaking out. And, I was at a party the other week and Bloodlines got mentioned, and you best believe "gently caress yes Ocean House" was the very next thing said.

I love the hell out of this game and wish there was more. I'd Kickstart the poo poo out of something like that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ocean front hotel never scared me but I love the perfect homage to the shining. One of these I gotta load up the game again and actually do that wereshark quest.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

morcant posted:

I love the hell out of this game and wish there was more. I'd Kickstart the poo poo out of something like that.

You'd think with how popular vampire fiction is these days someone would be able to get something rolling on it, but who knows.

I actually was glad to see this thread because I played through the game recently. I think it was my third full clear and I finally got around to making a Malk. One thing I seriously appreciated about what they did with that clan is you really get to get away from the dichotomy of NPCs in games like this where you have total power over the NPC you are talking to or visa-versa. Games often don't get in a good middle ground. What I mean by that is you're talking to a thousand year old ancient evil whatever and they are gonna give you a quest. You can take it and continue with the game or mouth off and skip it and then come back later and take the quest anyhow. In Bloodlines you actually get the feeling that you have some leverage over the NPC as a Malk because you can see Venus's name or you know Ming and LaCroix's secret plan. I had to go do their quests, sure, but dammit, I got to freak them out and win a tiny moral victory over them.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

CactarHero posted:

You'd think with how popular vampire fiction is these days someone would be able to get something rolling on it, but who knows.

I actually was glad to see this thread because I played through the game recently. I think it was my third full clear and I finally got around to making a Malk. One thing I seriously appreciated about what they did with that clan is you really get to get away from the dichotomy of NPCs in games like this where you have total power over the NPC you are talking to or visa-versa. Games often don't get in a good middle ground. What I mean by that is you're talking to a thousand year old ancient evil whatever and they are gonna give you a quest. You can take it and continue with the game or mouth off and skip it and then come back later and take the quest anyhow. In Bloodlines you actually get the feeling that you have some leverage over the NPC as a Malk because you can see Venus's name or you know Ming and LaCroix's secret plan. I had to go do their quests, sure, but dammit, I got to freak them out and win a tiny moral victory over them.

I love how the Malkavian dialog options and hallucinations were genuinely creepy. When I played a Malk I had a genuine feeling that I couldn't be sure what was real. I wanted to do the best thing, but it was tough to know what the best thing was because my view of reality was coming through a powerful filter of crazy.

It wasn't played for laughs, and it wasn't ridiculous. It had a genuine blend of wonderment and terror, which is really what Malkavian should be all about.

Basically, I liked it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

I love how the Malkavian dialog options and hallucinations were genuinely creepy. When I played a Malk I had a genuine feeling that I couldn't be sure what was real. I wanted to do the best thing, but it was tough to know what the best thing was because my view of reality was coming through a powerful filter of crazy.

It wasn't played for laughs, and it wasn't ridiculous. It had a genuine blend of wonderment and terror, which is really what Malkavian should be all about.

Basically, I liked it.

Yeah i really liked how Malks were done in this game with your own character having eccentric but not completely stupid clothes and being in a state like that shown to not be haha silly fun and games but holy poo poo severe mental illness is terrifying. And the other malks in the game were done well too with things like extreme paranoia and Split Personality.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Mr. Belding posted:

When I played a Malk I had a genuine feeling that I couldn't be sure what was real. I wanted to do the best thing, but it was tough to know what the best thing was because my view of reality was coming through a powerful filter of crazy.

This is so true and I think its even better if you play a Malk after you've beaten the game before. You know what is going to happen... but wait, did they just really say that is what is really going on behind the scenes? Is it true?

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Mr. Belding posted:

I have to disagree. I always saw Malkavian as the "New Game +" option, what with all of the funny dialogue filled with spoilers and goofy looking armor. It all seems very fishmalky to me and I never got the sense that it really conveyed that your character is messed up in the head.

I did like the whispers though. Those caught me off guard the first time I heard them, even though I knew they were coming.

(That reminds me, I need to finish my Malk playthrough...)

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Something I've been wondering that I'm sure this thread can answer. Is there anything in a Nosferatu playthrough that is worth putting up with all that skulking around in the sewers?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
No.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
That's disappointing, given that if they are masters of information, they could have totally done up some good dialogue for that.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You don't even have to skulk in the sewers. As long as you stick to the center, you can run straight down the middle of the streets with no problem.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like that the guy who runs the bail bonds doesn't even really seem to have a problem with you as a Nos.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Tal'mahe'Ra blade you get the second time you defeat the Sabbat leader; its description text says it does aggravated damage. What does that actually do in terms of gameplay?

Also, a Ventrue PC has "easier acceptance into Camarilla society". Does that actually change anything, or is it just fluff?

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

You don't even have to skulk in the sewers. As long as you stick to the center, you can run straight down the middle of the streets with no problem.

Also, you have a bit of time before you get the masquerade violation for being seen. The few times I was seen, I just exited the map and it would reset everything.

EightDeer posted:

Also, a Ventrue PC has "easier acceptance into Camarilla society". Does that actually change anything, or is it just fluff?

Some of LaCroix's dialogue changes when you're a Ventrue. (i.e. He's slightly more friendly and open.) But I'm not sure if there's any mechanical benefits.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

As long as you don't run right into any human's face you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

EightDeer posted:

The Tal'mahe'Ra blade you get the second time you defeat the Sabbat leader; its description text says it does aggravated damage. What does that actually do in terms of gameplay?

Aggravated damage a) is really hard to heal (it's the yellow stuff in your health bar that takes forever and lots of blood to go away) and b) can only be soaked with Fortitude or a similar power. So if you're melee, the Tal'mahe'Ra blade is good against something that doesn't take a lot of damage from regular attacks.

• Locked thread