Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I need to get a bigger house and my Nazgun neighbor hasn't logged in since 4 years ago and the neighborhood I'm in is totally full. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)
Thanks for the description of that Legal quest - I'm right in the middle of it, but got distracted by the sheer awesome that is Warden. Got to 16 without noticing that the time zipped to 1.30am. One more level... one more gambit.

Remy, I have an abandoned house from my LM - do I have to pay to unlock it to get rid of it and relocate? I don't really like it anyway.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
So much for the "goons take over the neighborhood" idea. No remaining deluxe houses for me to move in to. Guess I'm just moving to another Bree neighborhood. Anyone else just put down roots in one?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Lars posted:

Thanks for the description of that Legal quest - I'm right in the middle of it, but got distracted by the sheer awesome that is Warden. Got to 16 without noticing that the time zipped to 1.30am. One more level... one more gambit.

Remy, I have an abandoned house from my LM - do I have to pay to unlock it to get rid of it and relocate? I don't really like it anyway.

No, but once you abandon a house you have to pay the startup cost of the next one so you're out the initial cost of your first one. Make sure you know where you're going before abandoning, apparently Rekstrom's been populated more than I thought in the past couple weeks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Captain Backslap posted:

So much for the "goons take over the neighborhood" idea. No remaining deluxe houses for me to move in to. Guess I'm just moving to another Bree neighborhood. Anyone else just put down roots in one?

I'm in Snowpool in the Bree Homesteads, number 7 Long Street. I think there's a deluxe house next to me for sale. There's also a house right next to all the vendors in town, but it's a small house and is selling for an outrageous 7 gold.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm not sure what the point is in having a house.

I visited the kinship clubhouse, poked around the ornaments a bit. Is that it? You can't even set up crafting, right?

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure what the point is in having a house.

I visited the kinship clubhouse, poked around the ornaments a bit. Is that it? You can't even set up crafting, right?

Extra point to travel to, storage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm still getting by fine with three bags and a once upgraded vault. And the pending loot bag, that owns.

Even storing a bunch of old crit crafted weapons I'll never need (and could easily reforge if I did).

Will I need more when I get further up in levels?

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

sassassin posted:

I'm still getting by fine with three bags and a once upgraded vault. And the pending loot bag, that owns.

Even storing a bunch of old crit crafted weapons I'll never need (and could easily reforge if I did).

Will I need more when I get further up in levels?

poo poo yes. I've got six bags and they still aren't enough. :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've got one bag with crafting stuff, one with healing potions and food, and one for weapons and armour (carrying a one and two handed sword, and a light and heavy shield cause I can't settle on one setup, plus a couple of pieces I need a few levels for).

All the space gets filled with loot, and I junk pretty much everything whenever I hit town.

Unless I start getting multiple armour sets I need to switch in and out, or spend much more than an hour between trips to vendors, I'm pretty comfortable.

I also like to keep my inventory open and on screen all the time. More than 3 bags would get in the way.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I always end up having such little space in my bags because I lock everything that I can sell on the AH and then just never think to stop off and actually sell them until weeks later, then I get to cash in big which is nice.

I'm hitting a lull in the Lone-Lands again, this place always loving gets me. It's brown, loving brown everywhere.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ukrainius maximus posted:

I'm hitting a lull in the Lone-Lands again, this place always loving gets me. It's brown, loving brown everywhere.

This is the primary appeal of the North Downs to me. Its quest hubs are sort of staggered level-wise with the Lonelands, so you can switch off between them and take a little break from beige every once in a while. See some nice pine trees, maybe a few hills.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The music sucks, too.

The five minute ride to rivendell is worth it just to hear something different while you craft.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

East Coast Goon joining up on Silverlode as a Guardian Hobbit.

Never really played an MMORPG before but I've decided to expand my horizons and what better way to do it than with a game centered around my favorite fictional world?

Picking up the Mithril Edition on Gamestop as a starter pack of sorts.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I'm kind of upset that I made my Dwarf on Brandywine. I made him right before the current goon-rush (if you can call it that) started because I didn't want to be on a quiet server. I know I could just re-roll but I've spent a lot of time on his crafting and he's 25ish already and well I just love him ok?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sassassin posted:

The five minute ride to rivendell is worth it just to hear something different while you craft.

If only it was 5 minutes. 10:15 seconds from Ost Guruth to Rivendell.

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Middle-Earth_Traffic_Report

It hasn't been updated since Mirkwood, but it still covers the majority of the routes you'll need to take. And anyway, I think all the travel routes they put in post-Mirkwood have swift travel options, so you don't need to ride the slow horse as much.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Deakul posted:

Picking up the Mithril Edition on Gamestop as a starter pack of sorts.

Thanks for the reminder that this is still 50% off. You get all the MoM questing and some extra, a free mount and 2000 TP. This thing is worth like $40 easily, but it's :10bux:.

Not sure what to buy with my TP though, I grabbed Riding and a universal toolkit on my Captain. I own nothing but Mithril Pack + base content so any suggestions are appreciated. :)

e: Also I'm L20 now, I guess I should get the gently caress out of Breeland and go to Lonelands?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 9, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I have a couple Hytbold questions. I'm only on my third day of doing the dailies and have got Ally standing with the Wold and Norcrofts. I thought an NPC was supposed to show up in those respective districts once I hit Ally with them, but they haven't. Down in the Wold district I can see a ring on my minimap, but there's no NPC there. When do they show up? Also I've just been spending all of my tokens on Edgal's rebuilding quests so far because I haven't seen any gear vendors pop up. Am I doing this the right way?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ruffz posted:

I have a couple Hytbold questions. I'm only on my third day of doing the dailies and have got Ally standing with the Wold and Norcrofts. I thought an NPC was supposed to show up in those respective districts once I hit Ally with them, but they haven't. Down in the Wold district I can see a ring on my minimap, but there's no NPC there. When do they show up? Also I've just been spending all of my tokens on Edgal's rebuilding quests so far because I haven't seen any gear vendors pop up. Am I doing this the right way?

If you have Ally, then the NPC's for ally rep should be in their respective districts. If they aren't there, then something is bugged. The barter NPC's for your class should already be there without you rebuilding anything. Once again, this is probably bugged for you similar to how the Ally NPC's appear to be bugged.

You are not really doing it the right way, you should look up which rebuilding quests you specifically need in order to get your gear. Do those rebuilds first or otherwise you will take a lot longer than necessary to get the armor set(s) you want.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks for the reminder that this is still 50% off. You get all the MoM questing and some extra, a free mount and 2000 TP. This thing is worth like $40 easily, but it's :10bux:.

Not sure what to buy with my TP though, I grabbed Riding and a universal toolkit on my Captain. I own nothing but Mithril Pack + base content so any suggestions are appreciated. :)

e: Also I'm L20 now, I guess I should get the gently caress out of Breeland and go to Lonelands?

Yeah, 20 is a good time to head off to LL. The Forsaken Inn will be your first quest hub there. I sure hope you like fighting orcs and goblins in brown grasslands. Someone with more confidence should confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that if you buy the quest pack for Evendim and Forochel, that will take you up to the Moria Quest Pack stuff, then it's just expansions all the way to Rohan

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Yeah, 20 is a good time to head off to LL. The Forsaken Inn will be your first quest hub there. I sure hope you like fighting orcs and goblins in brown grasslands. Someone with more confidence should confirm this, but I'm pretty sure that if you buy the quest pack for Evendim and Forochel, that will take you up to the Moria Quest Pack stuff, then it's just expansions all the way to Rohan

If you also have some skirms and don't mind playing them a whole lot, sure. I'd recommend Eregion and/or Angmar too, personally, to pick up some of the late-basegame slack.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

flowinprose posted:

If you have Ally, then the NPC's for ally rep should be in their respective districts. If they aren't there, then something is bugged. The barter NPC's for your class should already be there without you rebuilding anything. Once again, this is probably bugged for you similar to how the Ally NPC's appear to be bugged.

You are not really doing it the right way, you should look up which rebuilding quests you specifically need in order to get your gear. Do those rebuilds first or otherwise you will take a lot longer than necessary to get the armor set(s) you want.

None of those NPCs are where they're supposed to be. Not the barter vendor for my class, nor the Ally NPC for either faction. The only NPCs that have appeared thus far through my actions are the ones inside the Mead Hall. I guess I'll file a bug report. I'm not hugely concerned with getting an armor set right away since I don't plan on doing much, if any, raiding. I do however plan on getting all of the rebuild quests done for the titles, so they'd have to get done sooner or later anyhow.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

If you also have some skirms and don't mind playing them a whole lot, sure. I'd recommend Eregion and/or Angmar too, personally, to pick up some of the late-basegame slack.

Eregion, that's what I was missing!

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

loquacius posted:

Speaking of which, what are some good skirmishes to unlock? I seem to only have the shire one and the dwarf defense one. Are their any that are fun/worth it to buy?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

I really want to play this game but after an hour of playing I still cant get over the massive action bar. That and hearing of the lack of end game pvp has me worried that I'll end up unsatisfied after a couple months of playing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I rolled a character and tried to find the officers online last night, but no luck.

Do we have a mumble or TS?

Also think I might remake... Human/Dwarf Champion, Human Hunter, or some sort of Captain? I can't decide. What's the "best" race for those three classes?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Any suggestions on what a newbie should spend 2000tp on?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I rolled a character and tried to find the officers online last night, but no luck.

Also think I might remake... Human/Dwarf Champion, Human Hunter, or some sort of Captain? I can't decide. What's the "best" race for those three classes?

Human is probably the best race for Captains.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Deakul posted:

Any suggestions on what a newbie should spend 2000tp on?

Premium wallet and universal toolkit are good options, but if you're f2p you might want to purchase quest packs instead.

Stanyer89 posted:

I really want to play this game but after an hour of playing I still cant get over the massive action bar. That and hearing of the lack of end game pvp has me worried that I'll end up unsatisfied after a couple months of playing.

This game's PvP is way different than traditional MMOs. I remember reading that they're not allowed to let players kill other players because of the lore, so their approach to PvP was to have players be able to create monster characters to fight against regular characters. It sounds kind of cool but there's only one PvP map after nearly 6 years so there aren't too many people that participate. The ones that keep playing LOTRO despite its shortcomings are those that are in it for the story mainly. Thankfully it has the best story of any MMO, and the PvE is pretty fun.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 10, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I made this post a week or two ago to explain the differences between the races.

SeaTard posted:

Play whatever you like best, but if you want to go full :spergin: mode, human is the best, especially for a tank.

human > hobbit/dwarf > elf

Humans have an innate +5% extra incoming healing, in addition to a racial trait that gives +1% each to block/parry/evade. They have a skill on a 1 hour cooldown that gives a ~2.5k morale heal. Awesome heal when you're level 45, almost pointless when you're level 75.

Hobbits have an innate +1% fear and shadow resistance, and a +1 morale per second out of combat regen. They have a skill on a 1 hour cooldown that causes them to immediately shed aggro and go invisible. It is hilarious to use in a raid when you're tanking, and is why Hobbit Guardians are the best.

Dwarves have an innate +1% common resistance, +0.5 morale/power in-combat regen, -1 morale/power out of combat regen. They have a skill on a 1 hour cooldown that gives 10 seconds of -50% incoming damage. It used to be -75% and was a lot nicer, but they nerfed it to 50% a year or two ago.

Elves have an innate +1% poison/disease resistance, -20 morale, and -1 morale per second out of combat regen. They have a skill on a 1 hour cooldown that gives 10 seconds of +75% parry (seriously, it's poo poo).

Each of the races has a few stats they either get a bonus or penalty to, but by the time you're level 30 they are almost meaningless, and completely pointless at end game. Even the innate bonuses are pretty much ignorable, unless you're going full min-max.

Really, take whatever race you like the look of best. But if you like say elves and humans the same and want a Lore-master, make a human one.

WindowLiquor
Feb 8, 2011

Oh no no, this simply will not do!

Fuzz posted:

What SeaTard said.

That and Captains can only be Humans. They're just THAT awesome.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fuzz posted:

What's the "best" race for those three classes?

Sorry, I just don't see the world that way :smugbert:

Seriously, race doesn't matter that much outside of flavor. There are of course some differences, but by the end of basegame content they won't end up mattering too much. The "best" race of any is probably human, because their self-heal is pretty drat useful for like 20 levels, but really just pick whichever race you want to see the intro quest of.

Nipponophile posted:

Human is probably the best race for Captains.

For context, this guy is being a smartass. :v:

Stanyer89 posted:

Yeah this isn't really a PvP game, so if that's what you're into I wouldn't recommend investing much money into it. Like ruffz said, there is a system in place where you can make a "monster" character if you're subscribed, but it won't have a full RPG progression like a normal PC will and is only there for PVP purposes. Some people friggin' love PvMP, but it's not really a main focus of the game (I've never tried it myself).

Most of the time, group instances and raids are what you're going to be spending your time on when you hit the level cap; there currently aren't any raids at level 85 (I think?) but that's temporary and mostly caused by mounted combat taking longer than expected to get in a publishable state.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

Stanyer89 posted:

I really want to play this game but after an hour of playing I still cant get over the massive action bar.

There are two little buttons under the ui settings that let you shrink or grow every element on the screen. That, along with CTRL+\ should let you make the screen whatever you want. My action bars are tiny as I'm not a clicker.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Fuzz posted:

There is a nazgun vent available...

vent11.gameservers.com
buttes

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

loquacius posted:

Most of the time, group instances and raids are what you're going to be spending your time on when you hit the level cap; there currently aren't any raids at level 85 (I think?) but that's temporary and mostly caused by mounted combat taking longer than expected to get in a publishable state.

Last I heard, those level 85 raids are scheduled to be part of a February update. It's three 12-mans and a 6-man.

Regarding my Hytbold post earlier, this is the area in the Norcrofts district where the Ally NPC should be, but is not. Only the quest ring shows up. Is there some sort of reconstruction quest specifically for this section that enables the NPC?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

ruffz posted:

This game's PvP is way different than traditional MMOs. I remember reading that they're not allowed to let players kill other players because of the lore, so their approach to PvP was to have players be able to create monster characters to fight against regular characters. It sounds kind of cool but there's only one PvP map after nearly 6 years so there aren't too many people that participate. The ones that keep playing LOTRO despite its shortcomings are those that are in it for the story mainly. Thankfully it has the best story of any MMO, and the PvE is pretty fun.

If I would of played LOTRO before I started GW2 than I would of been more happy with not having such a thriving pvp experience but GW2 IMO set the bar pretty high for MMO pvp, which unfortunately for me is what will keep me playing a game longer than a couple months.

On a side note, I may hop on LOTRO every now and than since GW2's story line and pve are beyond below sub par. Plus you cant beat LOTR lore. :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Stanyer89 posted:

If I would of played LOTRO before I started GW2 than I would of been more happy with not having such a thriving pvp experience but GW2 IMO set the bar pretty high for MMO pvp, which unfortunately for me is what will keep me playing a game longer than a couple months.

On a side note, I may hop on LOTRO every now and than since GW2's story line and pve are beyond below sub par. Plus you cant beat LOTR lore. :)

I have this hankering to go back to SWTOR for just the SP stuff, because it's SO GOOD.

But yeah, after Planetside 2, every other game;s PvP seems lovely and bad. I may give this another go... I didn't see any newbie guide stuff in the OP, and the Turbine guide is awful. Think I'm gonna make a Captain and try it out, seems like they'd be a decent soloing class.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Captains are an excellent, albeit slow, solo class. I very rarely died on the way to level 85. If you've already played one of the high DPS classes Captain might seem slow and boring, but they're a great utility class that are always in demand for groups.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SeaTard posted:

I made this post a week or two ago to explain the differences between the races.

10 seconds of borderline invincibility is poo poo? If you're playing overpower guard (like me) it opens all your offence, too.

Died for the third time in 90 hours last night. Thought I could slide down a cliff. I was wrong.

Now I'm stuck on a tedious island of salamanders. At least the levels are trucking along pretty swiftly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyanna
Jul 2, 2010

ruffz posted:

Last I heard, those level 85 raids are scheduled to be part of a February update. It's three 12-mans and a 6-man.

Regarding my Hytbold post earlier, this is the area in the Norcrofts district where the Ally NPC should be, but is not. Only the quest ring shows up. Is there some sort of reconstruction quest specifically for this section that enables the NPC?

It should have shown up when you hit ally. A quick google suggests leaving the area & returning til they pop up, or contacting a GM. Good luck.

• Locked thread