Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

The best DLC is kasumi's because of the locust SMG :getin:

I made the mistake of going for this first on an insanity run. It was not the most prudent of actions :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I did the same thing, with a low level Vanguard. Luckily, the arc projector came out a few days before. :v:

Replaying Mass Effect, I always wondered where the inspiration came from for tech armour. With Barrier and Electronics (which gives you shields), you're absolutely unstoppable. Plus comboing lift with neural shock is something that should never have gone away.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I can't really express how irritating it is that I can't have a load out equivalent to what I carried in Mass Effect 1 and 2. Choosing between a sniper rifle and a shotgun? I hate weight capacity.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

I can't really express how irritating it is that I can't have a load out equivalent to what I carried in Mass Effect 1 and 2. Choosing between a sniper rifle and a shotgun? I hate weight capacity.

Just ignore it. The game is easy no matter what you do, and launching a biotic throw every 1.2 seconds isn't fun anyway.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
This thread seemed kind of buried, but I just picked up ME1 and 2 from the Steam sale as I never had a console to play it and my PC couldn't run the games.

I picked it up a few days ago and did a handful of quests on the citadel after the opening, and then decided to go do the 'look for liara' thing because I wanted to see what the exploring planets thing was all about.

I managed to actually beat the quest to find her without any outside information on it or intent to break the game but I later found out this was a quest intended for near the end of the game (explains why the boss was oneshotting me..)

Did I gently caress something up in my game by 'sequence breaking' like this or is it fine? I like Liara, I don't wanna give her up until the end of the game, anyway, but I will if I have to to get a better experience.

Avoid spoilers for if it's possible for crewmembers to die in this game or not (yes, I don't even want to know if they CAN die in 1, not even who dies or how it happens), as I'm trying to do a run with more permanent decisions as a test regarding the way I play games with player choice, and I don't want to know about any deaths before they happen.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lavender Philtrum posted:

This thread seemed kind of buried, but I just picked up ME1 and 2 from the Steam sale as I never had a console to play it and my PC couldn't run the games.

I picked it up a few days ago and did a handful of quests on the citadel after the opening, and then decided to go do the 'look for liara' thing because I wanted to see what the exploring planets thing was all about.

I managed to actually beat the quest to find her without any outside information on it or intent to break the game but I later found out this was a quest intended for near the end of the game (explains why the boss was oneshotting me..)

Did I gently caress something up in my game by 'sequence breaking' like this or is it fine? I like Liara, I don't wanna give her up until the end of the game, anyway, but I will if I have to to get a better experience.

Avoid spoilers for if it's possible for crewmembers to die in this game or not (yes, I don't even want to know if they CAN die in 1, not even who dies or how it happens), as I'm trying to do a run with more permanent decisions as a test regarding the way I play games with player choice, and I don't want to know about any deaths before they happen.

You didn't gently caress anything up, that boss is just hard for a low level character. You're supposed to be able to do the plot planets in any order, although if you are trying to get the Asari squad member achievement you pretty much have to rush to Artemis Tau and use Liara for the rest of the game.

It's pretty much impossible to gently caress anything up in Mass Effect as long as you talk to your squadmates on the regular and do most of the sidequests. You can break up the tedium by splitting them up into sizable chunks in between plot planets.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I would argue that doing Liara's quest first is actually pretty smart for both, gameplay and story purposes. For gameplay purposes you get another squadmate that you can now use in any mission, and for story purposes there's also exclusive bonus dialogue depending on where you go next if you take her along.

The boss battle in that mission is one of the toughest in the entire game (although in part also because most people tend to do that mission quite early), but as DrNutt said, you can't really break any sequencing in Mass Effect, although I would argue that doing some missions before others makes for better pacing.

To be specific, (very, very slight spoilers in terms of what main storyline missions are available in the game): I would definitely complete Therum, Feros and Noveria before you head out to Virmire.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
The game suggests that you do that mission first. I also believe you're expected to do pretty much everything in the citadel, which gets you to around level 10-12. There are much more difficult fights on the other levels if you go to them first.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Meow Tse-tung posted:

The best DLC is kasumi's because of the locust SMG :getin:

Poor Locust got hit so hard with the Nerf bat in ME3.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Burning Mustache posted:

I would argue that doing Liara's quest first is actually pretty smart for both, gameplay and story purposes. For gameplay purposes you get another squadmate that you can now use in any mission, and for story purposes there's also exclusive bonus dialogue depending on where you go next if you take her along.

The boss battle in that mission is one of the toughest in the entire game (although in part also because most people tend to do that mission quite early), but as DrNutt said, you can't really break any sequencing in Mass Effect, although I would argue that doing some missions before others makes for better pacing.

To be specific, (very, very slight spoilers in terms of what main storyline missions are available in the game): I would definitely complete Therum, Feros and Noveria before you head out to Virmire.

Oh yeah, for a first playthrough I definitely agree with that, but after six playthroughs of the first Mass Effect (currently working on my first PC run!) I find that it's interesting to mix it up and see how the story holds up when you go in different orders. In particular (spoiled for the guy playing his first time) I really enjoyed going to Noveria first and wasting Benezia, then going to Therum last and rescuing Liara. She's delirious at that point, and then you get to say, "Oh, and by the way I killed your mom. And I know where Ilos is and we need to go there now!"

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah, for a first playthrough I definitely agree with that, but after six playthroughs of the first Mass Effect (currently working on my first PC run!) I find that it's interesting to mix it up and see how the story holds up when you go in different orders. In particular (spoiled for the guy playing his first time) I really enjoyed going to Noveria first and wasting Benezia, then going to Therum last and rescuing Liara. She's delirious at that point, and then you get to say, "Oh, and by the way I killed your mom. And I know where Ilos is and we need to go there now!"

Oh yeah, that's definitely something everyone should do at least once :haw:, although probably not in your first playthrough.
It would be awesome if this would permanently gently caress up Liara for ME2 and ME3 :shepface:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Burning Mustache posted:

Oh yeah, that's definitely something everyone should do at least once :haw:, although probably not in your first playthrough.
It would be awesome if this would permanently gently caress up Liara for ME2 and ME3 :shepface:

Now I'm disappointed there's no conflict in 2 or 3 between an rear end in a top hat renegade Shepard and a Liara that's pissed off that Shep killed her mom and invalidated her life's work.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So is it normal that none of the Galaxy At War stuff will ever load for me on PC?

//edit

Nevermind, apparently my profile was "desynced" on their website, whatever that means. Pushed button, stuff loaded.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 8, 2013

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Cometa Rossa posted:

I'll give that a shot, I've conveniently got a new and bigger one coming in the mail soon.

I've been trying to install it but it gets to 37% every time before telling me the disc is unreadable. This is such a loving bummer, my problems with this god drat disc just don't end. It's all over the internet too but nobody has any concrete solutions :(

This poo poo was brand new, too. Now to begin the long search for a standalone ME3 disc 2, and at least another week before I can play this game

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 8, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Geostomp posted:

Poor Locust got hit so hard with the Nerf bat in ME3.
Well, duh. You didn't pay Bioware for it this time around so you had to be punished for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cometa Rossa posted:

I've been trying to install it but it gets to 37% every time before telling me the disc is unreadable. This is such a loving bummer, my problems with this god drat disc just don't end. It's all over the internet too but nobody has any concrete solutions :(

This poo poo was brand new, too. Now to begin the long search for a standalone ME3 disc 2

Are you on the PC? If so you can just download it directly using Origin.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

The MSJ posted:

Are you on the PC? If so you can just download it directly using Origin.

360 :(

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Dr. Stab posted:

As released? So the PC version installs the launch version 1.0, and not the patched version? This actually makes a difference to me as to whether I'll buy it.
I don't understand. Why wouldn't you just patch it after installing it?

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Oh god, I just impulse bought ME3 Digital Deluxe on Amazon for $14.99.

What is the "essential" DLC that I'd need for a good story?

I've completed 1 and 2 but only have the free DLC for them both.

I'm currently doing a NG+ on ME2.
It's already been said, but for emphasis:
Leviathan adds some backstory, that and it's also fun! Ashes to ashes should have been part of the release, it adds some flavour to ME3 that I wouldn't want to miss out on.

The Extended Cut is free, you want to download this.

Monni
Apr 24, 2010
So, has anyone tried out MEHEM? Yeah, apparently someone made a literal Happy Ending Mod for Mass Effect 3.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/368/index/14795358/1

Sounds kind of pathetic, but the fact that it completely removes Casper intrigues me. It's probably just adding Shepard to one cutscene and removing everything else. Although it's impressive that the creator has managed to change anything, considering that there has never been any sort of modding scene for Mass Effect games. I guess when you're desperate enough, you can move mountains.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I don't know because I didn't do much research about it, but is it a widely accepted thing that the combat system is mediocre in Mass Effect? I find myself often hitting my squad mates, they get in my way too much, and sometimes they get me stuck in a corner.

I'm enjoying the game aside from the combat, but I just want to make sure it's not just me playing the game wrong.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Is there a workaround for when you can't get your legend save after beating ME3 because instead of kicking you back to the Normandy after the dev message you just get stuck on a black screen until you go to the task manager and shut the game down? Google seems to indicate some people have been having this same issue but I can't find anything about fixing it because, well, it's difficult to google anything about the ending in hopes of finding substantive technical information.

And yeah, Squirtle Squadee, as far as I remember the combat is generally considered Bad/Easy in ME1. It's streamlined and, imo, considerably more fun in the next two games (though if you're expecting combat difficulty at any point you probably shouldn't).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Squirtle Squadee posted:

I don't know because I didn't do much research about it, but is it a widely accepted thing that the combat system is mediocre in Mass Effect? I find myself often hitting my squad mates, they get in my way too much, and sometimes they get me stuck in a corner.

The first game has fun combat, because you can break it so easily.

Go as Adapt or Vanguard.
Squadmates, Liara+Wrex

"The rocket Launcher" : SPECTRE Sniper, Scram Rail, Scram Rail;, Explosive Ammo
"The Infinity Pistol" : SPECTRE Pistol, double cooling mods.
"The Pocket nuke" : SPECTRE Shotty, Scram Rail, Scram Rail, Explosive ammo
"Captain Placeholder" : Any weapon you think looks cool, won't be used.

Combat:
Singularity, lift, pull, warp, etc everything in sight
Send in "the Quad" (This means wrex)
Blow everything to pieces with your guns.
Revive Liara

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The best way to play ME1 is to equip a shotgun and blast faces off the moment some punk shows themselves to you. Of course, if you do this thing you'll be annoyed by the significantly shittier shotguns of the sequels.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Whelp, I guess my playthrough has just been significantly extended. PS3 just hard-locked during an auto save and apparently the game puts all the saves in one file so all of my saves are gone, even though I've been keeping multiple in the event that something like this happened.

Had just finished the Citidel after Tuchunka, so that's what, 15 hours?

At least all my multiplayer stuff is safe.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Gah, gently caress the Bring Down the Sky activation. I installed ME1 on my new computer (obviously, the best thing to do when you get a new shiny gaming PC is to play a five-year-old game on it) and wanted to continue from one of my existing saves, but since none of the available BDTS codes are working I couldn't install the DLC and can't load any of my saves because the files are missing. :arghfist::saddowns:

Oh well. I guess I'll just start a new game and try to install BDTS again at some point (or just use the savegame editor later). Contacting EA's support and waiting for their response would be more :effort: than it's worth.

e: I love how the message you get tells you to "buy a new activation code."

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 12, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Gah, gently caress the Bring Down the Sky activation. I installed ME1 on my new computer (obviously, the best thing to do when you get a new shiny gaming PC is to play a five-year-old game on it) and wanted to continue from one of my existing saves, but since none of the available BDTS codes are working I couldn't install the DLC and can't load any of my saves because the files are missing. :arghfist::saddowns:

Oh well. I guess I'll just start a new game and try to install BDTS again at some point (or just use the savegame editor later). Contacting EA's support and waiting for their response would be more :effort: than it's worth.

e: I love how the message you get tells you to "buy a new activation code."

Actually, as utterly terrible as EA's support can be, this is one of the instances where they might be able to help you out and within a matter minutes even.
Try contacting their live chat support and explain your problem, and make clear that essentially, all you're asking for is a new BDTS activation code.
Many people have reported that they were given one instantly.

It's worth a shot either way (also because BDTS is pretty cool).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Burning Mustache posted:

Actually, as utterly terrible as EA's support can be, this is one of the instances where they might be able to help you out and within a matter minutes even.
Try contacting their live chat support and explain your problem, and make clear that essentially, all you're asking for is a new BDTS activation code.
Many people have reported that they were given one instantly.

It's worth a shot either way (also because BDTS is pretty cool).
Even if you go the long way by filling out a form on their website, you'll most likely get a response within a day or so.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I had a similar issue, only that I also ran out of installs for my original ME1 disk. I got into contact with EA support and almost immediately got told that my ME1 has infinite installs from now on and I received a brand spanking new Bring Down the Sky key. I've had to contact EA support 4-5 times over the past 3 years and I can only be glowingly positive about them. Keep in mind that I'm a filthy European though, which means I'm getting the EU support.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Batham posted:

I had a similar issue, only that I also ran out of installs for my original ME1 disk. I got into contact with EA support and almost immediately got told that my ME1 has infinite installs from now on and I received a brand spanking new Bring Down the Sky key. I've had to contact EA support 4-5 times over the past 3 years and I can only be glowingly positive about them. Keep in mind that I'm a filthy European though, which means I'm getting the EU support.

EA support is really good. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them and the one time I contacted them about an issue I had which was partly my own stupid, confused fault the person on the other end was very helpful and gave me a 20% off Origin discount for my troubles.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
EA support was OK when I had the mysterious "online pass" issue with the PC version of ME3, at least once I got a person who could actually understand what the problem was and that I had already tried re-installing everything before and it didn't help.

It took forever to resolve because the guy I spoke to on the phone had no idea what to do and eventually realized he needed to connect me to somebody more familiar with the actual game which took a very long time. Then the next person had it done within 5 minutes, immediately issuing me a new product code. This in turn broke From Ashes because the code for my original collector's edition was now invalid. It took about a week to get a response via email (I didn't want to leave my phone on speaker for an hour and a half waiting for somebody to help again) and again the first person was clueless but the second resolved the issue within minutes and gave me an Origin discount for being patient, which I never used since I don't want to use Origin.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Lollerich posted:

I don't understand. Why wouldn't you just patch it after installing it?

quote:

Update 1.02

Quickslot abilities are now disabled in elevators

No having fun while waiting for elevators.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
So here's a thing: that bit near the start where you get charged down by Dr. Eva will force you to use whichever pistol you have equipped. The acolyte can't do enough damage to her in the time you get, so if you equip the acolyte during that mission, it's impossible to proceed.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

So here's a thing: that bit near the start where you get charged down by Dr. Eva will force you to use whichever pistol you have equipped. The acolyte can't do enough damage to her in the time you get, so if you equip the acolyte during that mission, it's impossible to proceed.

It's not just the Acolyte. It applies to other guns as well, like the Paladin and Executioner Pistol.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I just dropped $40 on bioware points to catch up on the DLC I've missed after taking a long break from ME3. I'm currently stuck in an infinite death cycle due to the acolyte issue. This is just incredibly sloppy design and testing. The DLC weapons are available from the beginning of the game, and you've got several chances to redo your loadout on that mission, meaning that there's a nontrivial chance you'll be packing one of these weapons when you hit that Eva cutscene. Even basic testing would find a showstopper like this. :catstare:

TL;DR: I knew Bioware's QA department sucked poo poo, but I was unaware of just how much poo poo they sucked.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I thought you just had to keep pace and the end of that segment was scripted? I'm confident I've done it without firing a round.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Nope, you can definitely die there, especially if you have the "wrong" weapon.

I gotta say, I don't really share the sentiment of Bioware's QA being notoriously lovely, at least with regards to the ME series.
ME3 is definitely the sloppiest game in the trilogy here (tons of animation glitches in cutscenes, Shepard holding guns he doesn't even have equipped in cutscenes; getting stuck in the Normandy cockpit, etc.) because that one scene is the only one I can think of right now, in the entire series, that can really break the game. That scene aside they appear to be quite competent about that kind of stuff so far.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

I thought you just had to keep pace and the end of that segment was scripted? I'm confident I've done it without firing a round.

As Burning Mustache and others said, it's shocking but that part actually is completely unwinnable if you have certain weapons, including the Paladin, Acolyte or Excecutioner Pistol.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Doesn't the part where you shoot the husks and marauder give you a specific pistol no matter what you have equipped? I wonder why they didn't do the same for the Eva part.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Yup, that part always gives you a Carnifex.

It's a pretty good question why they didn't do the same for the Eva part as it's pretty much the same exact kind of sequence.

I mean, they obviously didn't think that the part would be unbeatable with a different type of pistol, but it begs the question why one sequence allows you to use whatever pistol you have currently equipped while the other one forces a very specific one on you.

Maybe it's because, during the Eva sequence, Shepard will always be carrying a pistol, no matter what, while in that other sequence, you can theoretically start that mission without having a pistol equipped at all? I've only played through the game once so my memory (especially of that Mars mission) is a bit hazy. Can you ever un-equip the pistol in that mission so you're left with none in the Eva sequence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You can indeed reach Eva without having a pistol, in which case you're given a Predator.

• Locked thread