Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

devilmouse posted:

Anyway, here's the link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hug-the-sloth!/id588731346?mt=8

From massive MMOs to one-button sloth hugging, such a luminous career trajectory!

Not on android, somebody hug me. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Uh... so Beer Wednesday OC was just cancelled for some unknown reason. :( I hope somebody starts it over.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

A Sloth posted:

Not on android, somebody hug me. :smith:

I'll hug you, Android sloth buddy :(

That is an adorable app guys, nicely done.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Chernabog posted:

Uh... so Beer Wednesday OC was just cancelled for some unknown reason. :( I hope somebody starts it over.

Yeah, :wtc: was that all about? I've been going for three years, everyone I know knows they shouldn't bother asking me to do anything on wednesday nights.

And poor Amber, we were seriously paying off her student loans more or less single-handedly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
From the facebook rumblings it sounds like something happened between the meetup and the Auld Dubliner?

I haven't attended in a while - did something happen at the last one?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Everything leading up to christmas was solid...

...Though come to think, I did hear some grumblings about the week from christmas to new year's having something go wrong...

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't go the last three weeks but I can't imagine Jim just calling it quits out of nowhere and not leaving anybody behind.... and they did mention changing the venue, so there was probably a disagreement or something.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Ah the joys of building unit tests (or something similar anyway). They're only as useful as you are good at being able to come up with the tests. They are also only as useful as you are at remembering your own assumptions in building whatever feature you're testing. Plus, you get the added benefit of people thinking that if they fix all of the test warnings there can't be any other problems, right?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

mastermind2004 posted:

Ah the joys of building unit tests (or something similar anyway). They're only as useful as you are good at being able to come up with the tests. They are also only as useful as you are at remembering your own assumptions in building whatever feature you're testing. Plus, you get the added benefit of people thinking that if they fix all of the test warnings there can't be any other problems, right?

The key here is when you are proven wrong (IE something breaks because whatever), you add in a test that tests that breaking condition. You aren't ever going to get 100% coverage at the start, but each iteration if you add more and more tests it should be harder to unintentionally create bugs.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Chernabog posted:

I didn't go the last three weeks but I can't imagine Jim just calling it quits out of nowhere and not leaving anybody behind.... and they did mention changing the venue, so there was probably a disagreement or something.

I learned that it was something basically out of both Jim and the Dub's control, so at least I don't have to be angry at either of them...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

I learned that it was something basically out of both Jim and the Dub's control, so at least I don't have to be angry at either of them...

What was iiiiiitttttt

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Rival Game Dev's gang showed up. Quake Deathmatch for the rights to the pub. You better not show your face around those parts Sigma unless you want it Teabagged.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

poo poo just got real.

GetWellGamers posted:

Oh well, I just hope the new place is somewhat close or it will be very inconvenient for me.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I did a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfWj-PHaHWk
(That 2D art? Folmer did that thing, along with lots of other things on the web site)

People seem to like it on the Twitters. Still waiting to see how many proper news sites pick it up, but The Average Gamer sent me a nice tweet. Apparently, it's "super cute" :3:

EDIT: YES - "Upcoming 'Jones On Fire' is Basically 'Jared Nelson: The Video Game'"

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 8, 2013

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

What was iiiiiitttttt

Names withheld to protect both the innocent and douchey. What's important is that it's over and done with, and now instead of the Two Kings of Beer Night, now there's the Cabal of Five, a handful of ultra-regulars who are taking over- Alvin, Cory, Deon, etc.- and Beer Night will live again under new management. Probably still at the Dub, even, since no one wants to take all the effort of breaking in a new waitress when we've got Amber right there.

Also, Shal, that's bad-rear end, good for you. I'm hoping to put Camera Obscura up on greenlight this Saturday myself- might hunt down recommendations from you lot about how to get it in front of people, since aside from playing some of the recommendations I get in the games forum I don't have a lot of exposure to the indie "scene". :sweatdrop:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

I did a thing

(That 2D art? Folmer did that thing, along with lots of other things on the web site)

People seem to like it on the Twitters. Still waiting to see how many proper news sites pick it up, but The Average Gamer sent me a nice tweet. Apparently, it's "super cute" :3:

EDIT: YES - "Upcoming 'Jones On Fire' is Basically 'Jared Nelson: The Video Game'"

I really like it so far, it's really cute as well. The only criticism I have from an art perspective is that the background is a bit dark and maybe a bit dull. Like I wish that the trees were brighter or showed the glow from the incoming fire, and I wish the sky had something going on it in it like a lot of fire or something more interesting. Other than that I really like it.

Edit: If it's finished I'd def download it as it is anyway!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

concerned mom posted:

I really like it so far, it's really cute as well. The only criticism I have from an art perspective is that the background is a bit dark and maybe a bit dull. Like I wish that the trees were brighter or showed the glow from the incoming fire, and I wish the sky had something going on it in it like a lot of fire or something more interesting. Other than that I really like it.
If I have time, I want to throw some parallaxing blocky clouds that drift by behind the trees, which should break up the sky without killing lower-spec hardware. It's just a question of scheduling, at this point - I won't hold up the release for that, though it's relatively high on my want-to-have list.

... and it's definitely a bit dark. I've learned a lot about color palettes thanks to this game - I didn't test the game on disparate enough hardware/monitors early enough. It used to be even darker.

EDIT: I also want gossip, even though I don't live in the area. Game developers live and breathe on gossip.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 8, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

GetWellGamers posted:

Names withheld to protect both the innocent and douchey. What's important is that it's over and done with, and now instead of the Two Kings of Beer Night, now there's the Cabal of Five, a handful of ultra-regulars who are taking over- Alvin, Cory, Deon, etc.- and Beer Night will live again under new management. Probably still at the Dub, even, since no one wants to take all the effort of breaking in a new waitress when we've got Amber right there.

Also, Shal, that's bad-rear end, good for you. I'm hoping to put Camera Obscura up on greenlight this Saturday myself- might hunt down recommendations from you lot about how to get it in front of people, since aside from playing some of the recommendations I get in the games forum I don't have a lot of exposure to the indie "scene". :sweatdrop:

Why did you withhold names and then not say anything about what happened.

I MUST KNOW MY GOSSIP

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Shalinor posted:

I did a thing

Couple of quick feedback points from the trailer:

1. I have a bit of trouble tracking the player at different points, and there are a lot of combining factors that influence this. First, it's possible for the player to become completely obscured by brush, like at 0:15 and at 0:13. Color pallet is also contributing to this, and is really noticeable at 0:08 when the player does the slide move.
2. The visuals around cats and fire get a bit confusing due to the particle effects. Fire has a mixture of red, orange, and white blocky particles, and cats have an aura of white blocky particles and spit out yellow blocky particles when captured. You might benefit for pushing the colors further apart for those effects or changing the treatment on the particles between the two.
3. I wouldn't have expected the slide move to get past that fire in the trailer, but perhaps that's something I'd learn in the game.

Otherwise looks cute. :3:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Brackhar posted:

Couple of quick feedback points from the trailer:

*Comments about not being able to make stuff out*

Otherwise looks cute. :3:
That stuff won't apply when you're the one telling the character when to jump and slide and all that, though, assuming the controls are nice and responsive.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Akuma posted:

That stuff won't apply when you're the one telling the character when to jump and slide and all that, though, assuming the controls are nice and responsive.
They are indeed solid.

... and for future games using this style, I have ideas for fixing that. It'd be critical, for instance, if there were other enemies / this were a traditional platformer. The trick is, most of the ideas are no-go's on mobile - ambient occlusion really helps.

My grand plan at this point is "focus on PC dev for 6 months, assume no one will have the lower spec devices by that point, port". Brilliant, I know.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Welp, recently finished a bit of freelance work (cheers Akuma!) and now I'm moving back to a portfolio piece I was going to do before I got my last job.

Gonna recreate this shot in 3D, probably in UDK.

Yellow building, Right shed and the clothesline on the right are already done.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Sigma-X posted:

Why did you withhold names and then not say anything about what happened.

I MUST KNOW MY GOSSIP

Maybe if you came by once in a while! :argh:

I'm sure I'll find out this wednesday what happened from Amber at the very least. Right now the poll on the FB group is nearly a tie between The Dub and Tustin Brewery. I will not be happy if we drop The Dub. Ordering a Ruckus (PBR + A Very Greasy Bag of Bacon) for the first time is an event unto itself.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Poll? What poll? Where? How come no one ever tlles me these things? :argh:

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Hey, all, we here at Ready at Dawn Studios need Scripters. For any of you that are looking to break into the industry, this is the perfect thing to apply for. Obviously there are specific skills you will need, the job in question is here: https://www.readyatdawn.com/scripter.php

Full-time, junior position that can be used to one day possibly become a Gameplay Programmer.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

GetWellGamers posted:

Poll? What poll? Where? How come no one ever tlles me these things? :argh:

Because you're not part of the facebook group, obviously :v:

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Greg Street (the Lead Systems Designer on WoW) dropped a really interesting piece of knowledge regarding getting into the industry on the forums yesterday that I felt might be worth duplicating here in the hopes that it sparks discussion:

quote:

Most everything that follows is relevant to game design specifically. If your son (or anyone reading this) is interested in a career as a game programmer or artist, the path may be slightly different. Above all, know that this is a relatively young career, and people take a lot of different paths to get here. The bad news is it can be fairly competitive. It’s a great job and there are a lot of gamers out there who are dying to break into it. The good news is that the industry continues to grow, so there are new opportunities available and by the time your son is old enough to get a job, there should be even more, economy willing.

I’ll talk first about education. At this point in time, there are a few college degrees in game development. Most of these programs are still fairly young and I don’t know many professional designers with those degrees. Yet. This is not at all to disparage those programs (personally I think it’s awesome to watch them grow), but to point out you don’t need a game design degree and most designers don’t have them. In fact, there isn’t a “wrong” college degree to pursue for game design. We have several designers who have computer science degrees, but it varies enormously. We have designers with backgrounds in art, economics, writing, math, law and of course science. The only common thread is that communication skills are really important in game design, because a big part of the job is explaining your designs and otherwise collaborating with a team.

Next comes experience. You need some kind of experience to get a job in game design. Playing a lot of games does count as experience, but it’s the kind of thing that’s hard for us to test. You’re better off playing a lot of games and doing something else as well. Career experience as a professional game designer is of course the most desirable. Blizzard is in a position where we can afford to be really picky about who we hire so we often look for prior experience. I will quickly add that plenty of our designers didn’t have any, but it helps a lot. Less established companies are more likely to give a beginner a shot, and once you have some experience, you’ll have a lot more options. If you can’t get a job as a game designer, you can try to get a job in a game company and hope to move sideways into game design. We have several designers who worked in quality assurance and customer service. You just have to get your foot in the door.

If you can’t get a job in the game industry there are still several options. The first is to be a very good, perhaps even professional, game player, but that can be even harder than getting into game development in the first place. Not all great game players are great designers, but it’s the kind of thing that may score you an interview. The second is to design your own game. That is easier than ever in this day of mobile devices, but still not a trivial feat you can throw together on a weekend. This next part is important: we like to see completed games because it shows you can finish something. One of the dark secrets of game design is that good ideas are cheap. Nobody gets hired because they had a great idea for a class ability or a raid encounter let alone a great idea for a game. They get hired because they can take those ideas to the next level, foresee problems, come up with solutions, and otherwise put in all of the hard implementation work long after the shininess has worn off of the original idea. If you can’t build an actual game, then the third thing you can try is to create an add-on, level or some other additional content for an existing game. Finishing that project isn’t as impressive as finishing an actual game, but it can still work. (This is how I got my foot in the door – I designed a scenario for Age of Empires that was eventually included in a shipping product.) Fourth is to be involved in the game community. You can host an awesome fansite, write a gaming blog, or make your own podcast. It might not illustrate your design cred, but it can get you noticed. If all else fails, try to be involved in beta testing. It’s tricky but possible to detect a good design sense from beta feedback. In all of these cases, what you’re trying to do is to develop a portfolio – something you can send to a company to show your chops. Artists can show their art. Programmers can submit sample code. A designer needs to somehow prove that he or she can design.

If you want to be a game designer, you’ll do more than just make games – you will be a member of the game-making industry. Try and keep up with industry news. Understand the upcoming platforms and the hot new genres and technology everyone is talking about. This is much easier in the internet age than it was a dozen years ago. It’s not always feasible, but attending game conventions can help. Companies often use those events for recruiting and you can ask a lot of questions and get a lot of information once you’re talking to someone face-to-face. Advice I give for anyone in any industry to get a job is networking. We are much more likely to go to bat for a candidate we know, especially if we have some idea of their design skills. This doesn’t mean cold-calling or emailing folks in the industry – that risks just annoying them. It’s not easy to get to know people, but it can open doors. Here is where being a game journalist, famous player, or website designer can come into play.

Keep in mind that game studios are businesses. They have budgets and headcounts like any company. To get a job, you’re generally going to be applying for an existing open position. It takes the truly one-in-a-million candidate that can get a position created for them. Don’t blanket email companies; I don’t think I’ve ever seen that tactic work. Apply for specific positions, and if none are available, consider contacting the company HR representative to inquire if some might open in the future. That HR rep can be your greatest advocate, so don’t badger him or her. We have hired people who had off-and-on email conversations with our human resources team members for years before the right position came along.

That’s the hard part. The fun part is playing a lot of games. Don’t just play them though – devour them. Understand why they’re fun. Think about what you’d change if you designed the game. One question we frequently ask in interviews is: what is the worst part of your favorite game and how would you fix it? One of the quickest ways to fail an interview for the WoW team is when we ask “What would you change about WoW?” to answer “Gee, I hadn’t really thought about that before.”

I’ll close this monologue by talking about some of the traits that Blizzard looks for in game designers; other companies may place values on different traits.

• A good design sense. Analyze systems as a game designer, not just a player. A player might look for the most efficient way to progress through a game or search for the most powerful choices for their character. A designer understands why a certain way is more powerful or efficient and if that’s even a good thing for the game (and again, how to fix it).
  • Creativity. This is less important than a lot of folks outside the industry think, but it’s still important. Creative problem solving is often more important than creativity in naming creatures or coming up with good stories.
  • Implementation. We spend 5% of our time brainstorming and 95% of the time sitting at a keyboard trying to get things to work. (We use our own proprietary tools, but also a lot of Photoshop, Excel and Visio.) We want people who can handle bugs, manage their time, solve roadblocks, survive pressure, handle critical feedback, know when to quit and when to soldier on, and overall just not get distracted. This is one reason why seeing finished work in a resume is so valuable.
  • Communication. As I said, we talk to each other, other members on the team, other people at Blizzard, and the community of players. Constantly. Designers need to be able to think on their feet, criticize ideas without causing hurt feelings, accept feedback, and understand what other people are saying. The best designers make you feel like you are being heard. We do have introverts on our staff, but it’s probably more challenging for them.
  • Passion. This is probably the easiest one. It’s important though. You need to love games to do this job. I’m not sure what the most surefire career is for making millions, but this isn’t it. You’ll be asked to work long hours. You’ll be asked to playtest a game long after you’re sick of it. You’ll be expected to play new games as they come out to see what you can learn from them. You’ll be asked to cut your favorite feature. Passion for games is the reason most people want to get into the industry in the first place though, so you’re probably fine here.
I hope that’s helpful. It’s a good gig if you can get it. I walked away from a previous career in another field and never looked back. The biggest challenge for folks breaking into the industry is making themselves stand out. Saying “I love games” is important, but it’s not enough, because thousands of players will say the same thing. You have to demonstrate that you love games *and* know how to make them without actually being able to talk to anyone, because you haven’t gotten the interview yet. I invite anyone who makes it to let me know so I can personally congratulate them. It’s hard and it’s worth it.

Good luck!

Thread with better formatting can be found here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7592909216#17. I'd be very curious to hear what of those points you all agree and disagree with - it seemed like one of the better summaries I've seen in recent memory (at least for design).

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

SAHChandler posted:

Because you're not part of the facebook group, obviously :v:

Bah. Well, at least the Dub won, and The Cabal is going to release the "Official History" of what transpired in the next few days, so that will be that.

And Wodin, that's a great read, thanks for sharing. Don't see anything wrong with it from any angle, the guy covers his bases really well.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Greg is awesome. We worked together at Ensemble and he is a top notch human being and he gives great advice in that column.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Yeah, that's pretty much everything I would say, only more eloquent. He even touches on what was the toughest hurdle for me in the transition from player to designer.

We all know the idea, while important, is only the first step. The hard part is being able to hammer on that idea, tinker with it, break it, redesign it, and then implement it once it's no longer the original butterfly you fell in love with. Hopefully it's better, but usually you're absolutely sick to death of it by the time it's done. So that's the first hard part -- building something from an idea, once it's no longer yours.

The next hard part is doing it again, on schedule. And then coming up with something else new.

Right now I'm working with someone who started here as an intern, and was given a very simple task. He had tons of ideas, though, so he blew it out, went above and beyond, and built something ten times better than we thought it could be. So he got assigned to do that same thing for another dozen+ things he hadn't thought of when he had his first cool idea. By the end he was sick of meeting his own standard for these events, but had the skill and the pride to try to outdo himself on each one. It's great work but more than once he's admitted to wishing he'd stayed within scope the first time...

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Thought I'd drop these in here if anyone's interested, the folk I used to work for are hiring for Minecraft (artist in Dundee, coders in Edinburgh):

quote:

With the continuing success of Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, 4J Studios is looking for a Texture Artist in our Dundee studio. Artists should also be confident doing pixel art and UI design skills would be advantageous. This would initially be a 3 month contract . Drop a c.v. to jobs@4jstudios.com , please include a link to your online portfolio. No agencies thanks!

quote:

With the continuing success of Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, 4J Studios is looking for experienced console programmers to expand our East Linton studio. Drop a c.v. to jobs@4jstudios.com please. No agencies thanks!

ianhamilton_
Oct 13, 2012

Chainclaw posted:

Is there a good, comprehensive article on simulation/motion/sea sickness, and how it relates to games? I need to share it with every single developer I can.

I feel like in this era of mouse smoothing, post processing, quadruple buffering, there are more and more games I just can't play. Batman Arkham Asylum and Battlefield 3 are two games I've tried playing most recently that I just can't, I get really sick from them. It's not that I can't play 3rd person games and shooters, Planetside 2, Mechwarrior Online, and Dark Souls don't cause me any problems, so it's clearly poor practices on the developers end for Batman AA and Battlefield 3.

I'm also bringing this up here because hopefully I can get more of you guys thinking about it, I hate staring at Batman on my Steam list, unable to play it.

Not completely comprehensive, it ONLY related to the FOV aspect and not things like motion blur and combined weapon/walk bob, but the FOV stuff it talked about is really comprehensive. I's a really excellent Youtube video tutorial about it, aimed squarely at developers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1XsPYPGcl0

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I have yet to develop a game I can stand to play.

Once we had a bunch of camera changes that were awful. I tried to describe to the designer why it was bad (it makes me sick, what more do I have to say) and his answer was that I was playing the game wrong.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

baby puzzle posted:

I have yet to develop a game I can stand to play.

Once we had a bunch of camera changes that were awful. I tried to describe to the designer why it was bad (it makes me sick, what more do I have to say) and his answer was that I was playing the game wrong.

Am I allowed to hate you both in that scenario?

A designer who says "you're playing the game wrong" is a lovely designer, full stop, if he believes the blame for the game falls onto the player. It is design's role to clearly communicate the rules and modes of the game to the player. If you make a game with melee and shooting like Devil May Cry, and players only shoot (which is ineffective in the game, used for extending melee combos, juggling, etc), it is your fault for not teaching the player how to play.

Conversely, "I feel sick" is a very difficult to isolate and troubleshoot, and "what more do I have to say" is just adding an unhelpful layer of combativeness and snark.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Sigma-X posted:

Conversely, "I feel sick" is a very difficult to isolate and troubleshoot, and "what more do I have to say" is just adding an unhelpful layer of combativeness and snark.

Agreed. You didn't give him much information to work with, so he gave you a BS answer (I'm not defending his design philosophy, anyone who says that is a lovely designer). I get motion sickness in certain situations (a spiral staircase set it off last time), and you really have to give them as much information as possible. Different things set off different people.

Also bringing up getting motion sick in a meeting is an invitation for whomever has the controller to make circles with the movement sticks.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Having coded quite a few cameras in the past few years, I'll chime in on this one.

Cameras in 3rd person games are a HUGE pain in the arse to work with. It boils down to having too many conflicting fires to be fighting at once.

The camera must never clip, yet never agressively snap.
The camera must always be in the control of the player, but anticipate corners/turn with the player
The player must be able to turn quickly but also have fine controls
etc, etc, etc.

So you end up with 8-10 different systems interacting together to make the camera work. This is invariably fragile, since every added layer can easily break something else. Oh you want the camera to rise to avoid clipping when the player is close to a wall? Well the low-ceilings pitch correction will be found to have exploded 3 days later by QA. You get the idea.

Most teams want to have their cake and eat it too, which is what leads to this mess. In my experience, 3rd person games with good cameras tend to pick and choose their fights.

Edit: What I'm getting at is: give the camera guys a break, they have it rough. It's a lot harder job than it sounds.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 12, 2013

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Agreed. You didn't give him much information to work with, so he gave you a BS answer (I'm not defending his design philosophy, anyone who says that is a lovely designer). I get motion sickness in certain situations (a spiral staircase set it off last time), and you really have to give them as much information as possible. Different things set off different people.

Also bringing up getting motion sick in a meeting is an invitation for whomever has the controller to make circles with the movement sticks.
For me low FOV (below about 90) tends to trigger it. The original Borderlands set it off for me in under 5 minutes until I found the FOV mods.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Sigma-X posted:

I am being terse here, but I did explain that the problem was that the camera took forever to settle on its Y axis rotation. If the camera needs to rotate, then it should just rotate and then STOP. Any time you moved the camera or character, it would start this kind of rotation that would just swing all over the place. It was awful and really easy to describe the solution (make it do what it used to).

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
So if my dream is designing virtual reality immersive experiences in the long term, I should start out in games right? I mean, with the Oculus rift and the new microsoft technology, it has to be. How long until full-on VR is the norm, do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

pastorrich posted:

So if my dream is designing virtual reality immersive experiences in the long term, I should start out in games right? I mean, with the Oculus rift and the new microsoft technology, it has to be. How long until full-on VR is the norm, do you guys think?

Check out the Interactive Media Departments of local colleges, they'll be doing stuff like that (I did when I was in school).

We were messing with using linux kinects for wireless kiosks, and a bunch of other professors were doing experiments with second life and such.