Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Nintendo is pretty much just being spiteful at this point with their lack of Earthbound acknowledgement.

Unrelated, I got sick of being a hypocrite, forcing my recommendations onto others considering I had never played FF9 myself. I've decided to rectify this, and I am doing it in a pretty fantabulous way:

I always loved that official Sony PSone screen. It makes even terrible 3-d look pretty good, and man the speakers are INCREDIBLE. The viewing angle is pretty bad but other than that, the screen looks gorgeous; especially considering this screen is technology from when it was released like 12 years ago. I also love the way it makes the console look. Boy do I love me some official console add-ons.

Steal the Mage Masher! STEAL THE MAGE MASHER!!

Edit: In fact, steal EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Nintendo is pretty much just being spiteful at this point with their lack of Earthbound acknowledgement.
Obviously Retro's secret project is Mother 4.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

Thanks for this thread. I was looking for a new hacking project and modding some consoles seems like it will be a new and exciting way to electrocute myself. I just picked up a couple of older model SNES units and I want to try doing the component video and spdif audio mods. I'm wondering if the OP is still correct in saying that the snesjr still has the best video quality. Based on the following mod it seems like straight component would give much cleaner output: http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=74

Wouldn't straight output give a much cleaner signal compared to conversion and upscaling or is the rasterizer on the snesjr that much better?

Consider me on the low end of your totem pole, with my zero experience but looking to get into some techy things via retro gaming modifications. Killing the region lockout on my NES and putting batteries in carts is where I'm going to make my meager start, and I'll hope not to ruin anything with my combination of no sense for this kind of thing and clumsiness.

Also;

quote:

Retro Gaming Megathread: It will be a new and exciting way to electrocute myself

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Unrelated, I got sick of being a hypocrite, forcing my recommendations onto others considering I had never played FF9 myself. I've decided to rectify this, and I am doing it in a pretty fantabulous way:

I always loved that official Sony PSone screen. It makes even terrible 3-d look pretty good, and man the speakers are INCREDIBLE. The viewing angle is pretty bad but other than that, the screen looks gorgeous; especially considering this screen is technology from when it was released like 12 years ago. I also love the way it makes the console look. Boy do I love me some official console add-ons.

About two years ago, my brother and I kept finding PSones with the screen still attached at random used game stores for $30 each, which was kind of funny because they were selling PSones without the screen for the same amount. And strangely enough, the screens on each of them are still in great shape, not to mention the consoles themselves. He kept one set for himself while I have two sets on hand. Love the things.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hey. Psst. Hamburglar.

You can LED mod those screens. :ssh:

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Boy do I love me some official console add-ons.

Do you mind using the Page 80 guide I made for the Saturn SCART/component thing in the OP? I think a while back you said you would put that poo poo up and I agreed that was a good idea but it must have never happened.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Another reason Earthbound might be tricky to non-RPG players [and it even was for me] was the Frankie fight.

That motherfucker took me like 10 times this last playthrough, even after [fast forward] grinding for a while, it was still pure luck.

Of course like we discussed before, Earthbound has a reverse scale for boss difficulty, with the first being the worst and it getting easy from there.

Did you make sure to get the Mr. Baseball Cap before you fought Frank?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ohnoitschris posted:

Did you make sure to get the Mr. Baseball Cap before you fought Frank?

Pretty sure I did? I dunno it basically seemed like a game of "oh gently caress Frank don't get a critical hit don't get a critical hit fuuuuuuck" and I finally got lucky and nailed him with a few SMAAAASHes in a row.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Wait, what? Frank is super easy, as he should be. Heal when you'd normally die from his next attack. If you aren't getting destroyed by random Sharks you should be fine. I'm pretty sure last time I beat him I was on level 3 (though I'd recommend getting to 5 or so).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I always grinded to above 5 or so for Frank, from memory. After that it's basically smooth sailing, apart from exploding trees.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Pretty sure I did? I dunno it basically seemed like a game of "oh gently caress Frank don't get a critical hit don't get a critical hit fuuuuuuck" and I finally got lucky and nailed him with a few SMAAAASHes in a row.

You do have to go a little bit out of your way to get it as it's sort of a secret, but it raises your defense by a lot which makes Frank considerably easier. From the library, find the house that's sticking out of the trees and try walking into the trees until you find the passage to the treehouse, a kid gives it to you inside.

That plus getting Ness to level 5 means Frank and his robot fall apart like wet paper.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
So my high school girlfriend bought me a used *~Dreamcast~* for my birthday one year and after basically losing it in storage sometime during college, I managed to recently dredge it up. Here's everything I have. Sorry for the blur, I had trouble getting it all in one phone picture.

The games have been cobbled together from secondhand sales and vg rental store closings with high school summer job money; I'm fairly sure Skies of Arcadia was the only game bought new.

Somehow I am missing the MvC2 instruction booklet and the entire WWP case and game, but everything else is complete. It's... not bad from being pulled out of a random box on a shelf in my mom's garage a few months ago.

System and controllers, note the hilarious huge off-brand controller:

The system works fine, except for that infamous problem where the internal trigger that tells the system the lid is closed:

is bad and, unless taped down, causes the machine to freak out at random when reading discs. Is there an easy, agreed-upon fix for this other than taping it down? That makes changing discs midgame impossible.

E: I realize this is a super-tame post for this thread; I do have plenty of more interesting things in storage back home. This apartment is far too tiny for them!

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 10, 2013

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Do what I did with my ps2 having lid problems and just solder the leads together so the board thinks it's pressed down all the time.

You won't be able to swap discs while the system is on but I can't think of any usage scenario where you'd be hosed if you couldn't do that.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

HKR posted:

Do what I did with my ps2 having lid problems and just solder the leads together so the board thinks it's pressed down all the time.

You won't be able to swap discs while the system is on but I can't think of any usage scenario where you'd be hosed if you couldn't do that.

Dear god man! How can you play monster rancher!?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Kharmakazy posted:

Dear god man! How can you play monster rancher!?

This is not the mod for you if you're a Monster Rancher fan.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Man I want to read every single one of those Magical Game Time comics now but the animated gifs break chrome scrolling and I am too tired to fix it tonight :(

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Crusader posted:

About two years ago, my brother and I kept finding PSones with the screen still attached at random used game stores for $30 each, which was kind of funny because they were selling PSones without the screen for the same amount. And strangely enough, the screens on each of them are still in great shape, not to mention the consoles themselves. He kept one set for himself while I have two sets on hand. Love the things.

I think that's because it looks almost identical to the PSone without the screen. Other than it being double the thickness, of course. :v:

Silhouette posted:

Hey. Psst. Hamburglar.

You can LED mod those screens. :ssh:

Yo that's ridiculous. Curse you for linking me to a new project. And curse you for linking me to a new project that has a high requirement for not getting specks of dust on your screen. It's me; I'm the guy who will throw out 10 screen protectors if a piece of dust gets under it.

sandpiper posted:

Do you mind using the Page 80 guide I made for the Saturn SCART/component thing in the OP? I think a while back you said you would put that poo poo up and I agreed that was a good idea but it must have never happened.

Just making sure this is the post you mean:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515794&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=80#post410912969

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Retrogate has the SD2SNES back in stock, just happened 3 hours ago. :siren:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Yo that's ridiculous. Curse you for linking me to a new project. And curse you for linking me to a new project that has a high requirement for not getting specks of dust on your screen. It's me; I'm the guy who will throw out 10 screen protectors if a piece of dust gets under it.

If you don't know about it already, google "poor man's clean room". It works pretty well.

edit: typo

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 10, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

univbee posted:

:siren: Retrogate has the SD2SNES back in stock, just happened 3 hours ago. :siren:

gently caress yes! Just ordered mine. I need to pick up a SD card though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crimson Harvest posted:

gently caress yes! Just ordered mine. I need to pick up a SD card though.

Amazon seems to have Class 10 64 gig SDXC cards for $40 if you really want to go insane.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

univbee posted:

Ordered one... my god, what have I done?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Random Stranger posted:

Somebody had to! :v:

I kid. It's a terrible game that's technically impressive for when it came out. I remember being really proud of beating it on the hardest difficulty level.

I keep meaning to just buy the patches for the Activision games that I mastered. I earned those patches, dammit, even if I didn't send in for them!

I agree it was a terrible game. However, considering what it set out to be it plays fantastic. There was no slowdown when playing it at all, very fluid. Steering the ship was odd, the controls made you feel like the ship turned entirely on the pilot's muscle power.

As far as technically impressive games go, Battlezone was a much better game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Can't be as bad as my Christmas splurge. Three krikzz carts and the relevant consoles, arcade sticks galore, that XRGB3...I just need someone to sell me a loving NTSC SNES Euro-pinned SCART cable to catch 'em all, pretty much.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Last night I went into a bar, had $10 pitchers and played Streets Of Rage 2. I broke the ice with someone by discussing Dreamcast VMU's. I honestly believe I'll walk back to the pub next Wednesday and it won't be there. It was sublime.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

Amazon seems to have Class 10 64 gig SDXC cards for $40 if you really want to go insane.

This feels like overkill... what size card would be required to hold the entirety of the good NTSC SNES collection, save for those games that are incompatible?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

zenintrude posted:

This feels like overkill... what size card would be required to hold the entirety of the good NTSC SNES collection, save for those games that are incompatible?

Not even close to that, maybe 2 gigs tops.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Don't forget the SD2SNES implements a custom chip that supports mega-large data stores (individual games up to 4 gigs), and some people are making specialized ROMs for what would theoretically have been Super NES CD games (e.g. Chrono Trigger with the cutscenes, Super Road Blaster at 453 megs, an in-progress Super Mario World hack). They already have FMV working with CD quality uncompressed audio (video is 240x144 with 256 colors at 30fps).

If all you're looking for is the stock SNES library (all territories) plus the decent translations and hacks, 4 gigs is amply sufficient, 2 gigs is probably enough if you're sticking to English-only ROMs. I wouldn't go below that, especially with SD cards of that size effectively being given away.

To have every playable ROM currently available I think is 16 gigs, based on what I remember when I set up my SNES RetroPak a few months back, but this includes a lot of things like pointless hacks and trainers, translations of games to languages you've never heard of, that sort of thing.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 10, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So if you load up a bunch of roms on SD2SNES, is that the same as playing the original cartridges? Or is there some quality loss, like there is with emulation on PCs?

I'm guessing it's the same since you're not actually emulating anything, you're using the original SNES hardware. But I don't know how this magic works.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The incompatibility page lists "Star Ocean (unhacked version)"... unless it's considered :filez: to talk about this, what would be the version I'd want to grab?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

The incompatibility page lists "Star Ocean (unhacked version)"... unless it's considered :filez: to talk about this, what would be the version I'd want to grab?

Star Ocean used a custom chip that the SD2SNES and other carts can't handle, but the chip was only used for data compression purposes. There's a patch of the game that decompresses the data, doubling the size of the ROM (from 48 megabits to 96 megabits) but bypasses the requirement of this chip. I did a quick search but couldn't find the IPS patch I used, but there's one floating around that works on both the original Japanese ROM as well as the English-patched ROM, giving you 12 megabyte files for each. As long as your cartridge can handle games of that size it'll work; I got it working on an SNES PowerPak.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Do Star Ocean (and SFA2) contain more uncompressed data than the SNES hardware can physically address, or what? It blows my mind that it was considered a more effective solution to decompress data on the fly than to just use more storage.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dross posted:

Do Star Ocean (and SFA2) contain more uncompressed data than the SNES hardware can physically address, or what? It blows my mind that it was considered a more effective solution to decompress data on the fly than to just use more storage.

ROM chip storage in those days was unbelievably expensive, that cartridge probably had a production cost in the $30-$50 per unit as-is back in those days. The early N64 games were about 8 megabytes and had $30-$40 production costs without any custom chips, 12 megs in the pre-N64 days would have been murder.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

12 megs in the pre-N64 days would have been murder.

Well hello there...

(this is not an argument against your point, it is support for it... apparently my posts have been misunderstood lately)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Well hello there...

(this is not an argument against your point, it is support for it... apparently my posts have been misunderstood lately)

Yeah, I see your point -- didn't that game go for almost $100 new?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Well hello there...

And that game was only 3 megabytes.

I just did an extensive go-over of all the games that use custom chips; basically, if you don't care about Japanese games, the Super Everdrive doesn't cut you off from as many games as I thought. You lose the ability to play Star Ocean, Mega Man X2 and X3, Pilotwings, Mario Kart, the SuperFX games like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island, and that's about it that's worth mentioning.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

triplexpac posted:

So if you load up a bunch of roms on SD2SNES, is that the same as playing the original cartridges? Or is there some quality loss, like there is with emulation on PCs?

I'm guessing it's the same since you're not actually emulating anything, you're using the original SNES hardware. But I don't know how this magic works.

Everything will work perfectly, though some games with special chips will either not work or have glaring problems (sprites missing). I will use Super Mario World for argument's sake, but there is no difference between the Super Mario World cart and using the SD2SNES. Think of it like this: the SD2SNES is a "blank" SNES cart, and you are writing the ROM to it, to make it act as that cart until you write over it with another game. Almost the same way 1:1 duplicating a CD to CD-R will not result in quality loss.

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you don't know about it already, google "poor man's clear room". It works pretty well.

This is excellent. Thank you.

midge posted:

Last night I went into a bar, had $10 pitchers and played Streets Of Rage 2. I broke the ice with someone by discussing Dreamcast VMU's. I honestly believe I'll walk back to the pub next Wednesday and it won't be there. It was sublime.

Remember those arcade machines that had VMU ports in it. :allears: I believe NFL Blitz was one of them.

zenintrude posted:

Made the greatest purchasing decision of your life.

univbee posted:

Don't forget the SD2SNES implements a custom chip that supports mega-large data stores (individual games up to 4 gigs), and some people are making specialized ROMs for what would theoretically have been Super NES CD games (e.g. Chrono Trigger with the cutscenes, Super Road Blaster at 453 megs, an in-progress Super Mario World hack). They already have FMV working with CD quality uncompressed audio (video is 240x144 with 256 colors at 30fps).

If all you're looking for is the stock SNES library (all territories) plus the decent translations and hacks, 4 gigs is amply sufficient, 2 gigs is probably enough if you're sticking to English-only ROMs. I wouldn't go below that, especially with SD cards of that size effectively being given away.

To have every playable ROM currently available I think is 16 gigs, based on what I remember when I set up my SNES RetroPak a few months back, but this includes a lot of things like pointless hacks and trainers, translations of games to languages you've never heard of, that sort of thing.

What I would think would be an awesome, though probably impossible project, would be bringing Secret of Mana CD to life. It is pretty well known that Squaresoft was making Secret of Mana as a SNES CD game, and they had to cut the resolution, cut back some of the graphics, cut back on the music, etc. once they found out they were going to put it on the regular old SNES. Squaresoft still has the source code, and it's the reason Secret of Mana on iOS is gorgeous and Chrono Trigger looks like garbage on iOS. If there were some way to rip the code or something from the iOS release (or maybe a Squaresoft employee that wouldn't mind losing his job could get the code), that would be the greatest thing ever. I don't know that the iOS port had superior music though; maybe that's lost forever?

Also since you guys are getting your SD2SNES' finally, I can report that this thing is excellent:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nifty-MiniD...271120274991%26

I just got it yesterday (the guy has to custom make them) but it allows you to use a microSD card without having to cut open an SNES cart. Your SNES cart now will look completely stock! This obviously works fine for Genesis and other flash carts that use full-sized SD. As your resident guinea pig, I highly recommend it!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Well hello there...

PSIV was 24 MegaBITS, not MegaBYTES. A Megabit is about 125 Kilobytes. They loved using Megabits to measure storage capacity on SNES/Genesis games for some reason.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

univbee posted:

the SuperFX games like Star Fox and Yoshi's Island

And these are not yet (possibly not ever) supported by the SD2SNES... why did I order one of these things again?! I could have just got an Everdrive I suppose.

[edit] Oh, but I can play the CD games. Purchase justified again! :)

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

And these are not yet (possibly not ever) supported by the SD2SNES... why did I order one of these things again?! I could have just got an Everdrive I suppose.

[edit] Oh, but I can play the CD games. Purchase justified again! :)

If you're not :retrogames: you're doing it wrong, or something.

• Locked thread