Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
If the app is in the middle of a network thing, and then the phone gets put to sleep, it seems to interrupt the network connection. (Safari would continue loading in the background). Known issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Posting from Awful app to report that a restart of my phone fixed the "everything is black" issue. Cheers!

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Posting to report that the bug where you can't paste copied photo URLs into Messages (but can everywhere else) is still happening. Otherwise everything else is peachy!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Valencia posted:

Posting to report that the bug where you can't paste copied photo URLs into Messages (but can everywhere else) is still happening. Otherwise everything else is peachy!

This release only fixes the issues introduced by the forums redesign. Any bugs that were in 1.9.1 before the redesign will still be in 1.9.2 now. This issue has been fixed though and the fix will probably be in the next release.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is there still a way to fullscreen a thread and get rid of the navigation bars? The pinch doesn't seem to work anymore

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

goferchan posted:

Is there still a way to fullscreen a thread and get rid of the navigation bars? The pinch doesn't seem to work anymore

Not currently.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The Dave posted:

Not currently.

Ah, thanks. If it's gonna be reimplemented my vote would be to have the bars hide by default in the middle of a thread and reappear when you reach the end or beginning of a page. Otherwise I'm loving the app, I wasn't even aware that the old old Awful (pre-HD MAXX or whatever) was obsolete until the forums redesign got me to check out this thread, all the improvements rule

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Haha, I think someone may have the wrong thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

goferchan posted:

Ah, thanks. If it's gonna be reimplemented my vote would be to have the bars hide by default in the middle of a thread and reappear when you reach the end or beginning of a page.

Basically that's the concept we've thrown around that seems preferred.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
What are the specs for the square thread tags? I need to make a version of for the app, since it's now being used by a few threads.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

90x90 but I can make that pretty quickly and we can side load it through github.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh, cool. The square tag will probably look good as

BLU
RAY

in the box, above the disc (like the DVD tag).

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 9, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Never go away again, Awful app, I had no idea how good I had it until you were gone.

Aatrek posted:

Oh, cool.

You should've said make it so.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aatrek posted:

Oh, cool. The square tag will probably look good as

BLU
RAY

in the box, above the disc (like the DVD tag).

Hmm well I just did it like the original, I would personally rather go that route because I'm weird:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

Hmm well I just did it like the original, I would personally rather go that route because I'm weird:

Instantly millions of TF2 players start using it for their own threads.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh man, that looks great.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Aatrek posted:

Oh man, that looks great.

The Dave is an artist, and 90x90 icons are his canvas.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Coq au Nandos posted:

The Dave is an artist, and 90x90 icons are his canvas.

I hear the coffee table book is quite nice and set to be released soon.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Haha, I think someone may have the wrong thread.
Oh god loving damnit!!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

not related to the app (which is awesome) but I Just logged on to the forums and had about 7 pages worth of old-forums until it miraculously changed to new forums. Hope this doesnt break anything.

(7 pages as in main forums page, GBS, bookmarks, games, then here and its back to normal)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Seconding the delight at having the app back.

The handy bar in composing/replying with []/: seems to have gone, which is a shame - or is it there but I'm idiotically not seeing or accessing it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

therattle posted:

The handy bar in composing/replying with []/: seems to have gone, which is a shame - or is it there but I'm idiotically not seeing or accessing it?

I replaced it with a bunch of menu items (alongside the Cut, Copy, Paste menu). Turns out that's not a true replacement, so I'll be putting the buttons back.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

What are the specs for the square thread tags? I need to make a version of for the app, since it's now being used by a few threads.

To answer this anyway (and it's in the OP now too), here's the info on square thread tags.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

I replaced it with a bunch of menu items (alongside the Cut, Copy, Paste menu).

In regards to this; When uploading an image I have to press the right arrow twice when I want to upload from library. Not sure if it's just me but it's rather annoying because I always seem to forget and think it's crashed.

pokeyman posted:

Turns out that's not a true replacement, so I'll be putting the buttons back.

Woo! Are you planning on doing the cool bar above the keyboard thing I remember someone (maybe you) mentioning? Chrome and Drafts do it really well.

Drafts pictured

Also the menu items would still quite useful for image uploading (despite the aforementioned bug)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah that's the plan with the [ ] = / : buttons. And I'll keep the menu there too, ideally with bugs fixed.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
This is a weird one, but following the link to Facebook in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460168&pagenumber=347#post411346031
Opens the game/app Supersonic on my phone and not Facebook. I don't know if this would be an iOs error (fully up to date, AT&T on wifi) or what, but just found it interesting.

Jibo posted:

Yes. It's Obie and he's been on a special diet and exercise regimen for a few months now. I hear he's making progress.

ninja edit: He has a Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/BiggestLoserDoxieEdition

Edit: does it following the quote in this post as well.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This App hasn't worked for me all week. Is there some sort of fix?

E: nevermind, I went back and page and got my answer.

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 10, 2013

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pillowpants posted:

This App hasn't worked for me all week. Is there some sort of fix?

Are you sure you're using the one in the Op, provided by Nolan Waite on the App Store? It has an identical icon and name to the old version, which is no longer updated. Otherwise, what device are you on, what version of the is, and what is "not working?" Crashing when trying to start or only loading one page or...

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, I have a current bug report. Sometimes when I load a thread, and try to bring up the thread list the window is a giant grey box that contains nothing. My only fix for it is exit the app and force close it.

I'd post a screen shot, but I just relaunched and with my recently (less than two hours ago) injured possibly broken big toe I'm going to ice it, quit posting, and get hammered on sake to forget I hurt it so yeah... Hopefully I'm not the only one having this. On the last version of ios on the iPad 1 (5.1.1) jail broken, no odd hacks installed with it.

Edit: it happens every time I post, or if there are fewer posts remaining than it'll take to fill the page. Now then, time to get my drink on. If you need better info please quote me so when I check this thread tomorrow I can respond (and not make myself get in trouble for drunk posting)

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 10, 2013

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

stuffed crust punk fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 23, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

thank you to whomever wrote/maintains awful for the quickie update

pm me if you need anything, i do ios dev for work
Can you make the app produce a Wilhelm Scream when we post?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

thank you to whomever wrote/maintains awful for the quickie update

pm me if you need anything, i do ios dev for work

You should check out the github for it:
https://github.com/AwfulDevs/Awful/

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I have kind of a subjective issue with the way posts are formatted on the iPad. If the text is longer than the height of the posters avatar, it wraps back to the far left margin as opposed to staying aligned to the right side of the avatar all the way down. This could just be me, but it makes it messy to view and read.

Is anyone with me on that one? I know its an incredibly minor issue, and I've never noticed it before because I've just started using Awful on the iPad, since the latest version is so good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah at the time I thought the concept was a great idea, but in reality it only works good on really long, wordy posts. I'll be taking another look at the ipad layout soon. With profiles (in the latest test build) there's really no need to display the avatar at a large size or any title text, so I think it might just be best to enlarge the iPhone layout on the ipad to maximize space. With the extra space on ipad we could always replace the "..." post action pop up with icons/buttons for each of those individual actions right in that post block.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

What Dave said. I don't think anyone involved is really thrilled with the post layout on the iPad. Since iPad support was added, we've essentially had two designs. They both looked great in mockups, but didn't work so well in real world use. It's an area that could use some major improvement.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Any chance you guys would create an option to open links in your browser of choice? Right now it uses Safari and I think it would be a nice touch for those of us who rely on Chrome. It's not a problem or anything I just hate having to go copy the link from Safari to Chrome if I want to end up saving the link.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Actually you should do the whole world a favor and pressure Apple to put features in their OS to allow users to choose their own default programs for opening stuff. :v:

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
I may be a drooling retard but, y no search function?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We hate searches.

Nah. It's not that it's being excluded, it's just not there yet. The to-do list is long, you can check out the issues / requests for things on github. I think there are more too that pokeyman just has written down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

xzzy posted:

Actually you should do the whole world a favor and pressure Apple to put features in their OS to allow users to choose their own default programs for opening stuff. :v:

Oh I didn't realize it was an Apple thing. I'm still glad the app is back, checking the forums in browser is quite tedious.

• Locked thread