Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darkrenown posted:

The example of rally points and auto fleets I gave was from GC2, I said "Galciv2 has rally points/auto fleets/and neat automated constructor ships" to which you replied "rally points/auto armies etc are an example of good automation that Hearts of Iron 3 doesn't have", so I explained that GC2 style rally points make no sense in HoI3 and that it does have "auto armies".

Rally points make perfect sense. Auto-deploying newly built units somewhere would save a bunch of clicking. A system to automate the building of armies along the lines the user sets would also make sense.

HoI3 has neither, so my reply was far from a dishonest lie.

quote:

The rest of it is you presenting your opinion as fact, saying you don't like the game or that you think it sucks is one thing, that is your opinion. Saying flat out that it sucks or that you can't play without automating everything is false though, plenty of other people, some posting in this very thread in the last few pages, play it differently and enjoy it. That there's a difference between saying "I think something is X" and "Something is X" should not be news to you.

You're strawmanning, and pedantic . Quote where I said the game can't be played without automation.

And if you can't make the logical leap between a post that says, "This game sucks" and "This poster thinks the game sucks" without a multi-page argument, you must be new to the Internet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Was there ever a confirmation as to whether the agnatic nature of merchant republics would be moddable or not?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought after TFH there would be a bunch of custom game setup saves people would be releasing as mini-mods for others to start off with. Are there any?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Does anyone know how the various paradox games run on a intel hd 4000? Specifically eu 3 and ck2.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Gort posted:

Rally points make perfect sense. Auto-deploying newly built units somewhere would save a bunch of clicking. A system to automate the building of armies along the lines the user sets would also make sense.

HoI3 has neither, so my reply was far from a dishonest lie.

Why are you still going on about this? We've already established you missed that I was talking about GC2's version of these features.

Gort posted:

You're strawmanning, and pedantic . Quote where I said the game can't be played without automation.

That's what I was arguing against when you leaped into the conversation with me, and you've followed up with:
"The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. "
and
"Likewise, HoI3. There comes a point when the inflated province counts make conducting a war an unfun slog. You then fall back on the AI generals [snip]"

Gort posted:

And if you can't make the logical leap between a post that says, "This game sucks" and "This poster thinks the game sucks" without a multi-page argument, you must be new to the Internet.

Hey it only took you ~3 posts to clarify this, are you also new to the internet? I guess you are, because you are apparently unaware that many people actually mean a game is objectively bad when they say it sucks rather than that they personally don't like it. I read posts, not minds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

canada jezus posted:

Does anyone know how the various paradox games run on a intel hd 4000? Specifically eu 3 and ck2.

Think so, several people here say it works anyway:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?614242-Will-Intel-HD-4000-handle-Paradox-titles

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Does this:

quote:

- Conquerors (rulers of conquered titles) can now call on rulers from back home (Cultural Bonds) while defending against other cultures

...include titles captured in Crusade/Jihad? I don't remember.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I take back everything I said about how terrible it was to find flags with Google Image Search.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

Why are you still going on about this? We've already established you missed that I was talking about GC2's version of these features.

You haven't established anything of the kind. All you've done is misread a post and attempt to muddy the waters with trivia.

quote:

That's what I was arguing against when you leaped into the conversation with me

So you can't actually back up your statements about what I said, and are now attributing others words to me.

quote:

Hey it only took you ~3 posts to clarify this, are you also new to the internet? I guess you are, because you are apparently unaware that many people actually mean a game is objectively bad when they say it sucks rather than that they personally don't like it. I read posts, not minds.

I hope you also take a massive issue when people say that a game is good without prefacing it with either a peer-reviewed paper proving the impossible or "MY OPINION IS".

It's pretty telling that you're unable to provide a real argument here and have fallen back on this rubbish.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

6EQUJ5 posted:

This has probably come up before, but wouldn't it be great if Paradox released a thing so that you could tie all their games together, if you owned them all? So you could start a game in Crusader Kings II which would blend seamlessly into Europa Universalis which would flow into Vicky 2 which would run on into Hearts of Iron. And I don't just mean a save transfer, I mean the games would combine to form one super-Paradox game. Just think how many hours you could lose to that!
This is a constant idea, but be honest, how many single games do you actually finish? Still, once EU4 hits it might actually be possible (provided assets have some sense of commonality).

And as much as I love how alive EU3 modding is on these forums, choosing between MiscMods and EU3+ is like asking a 12 year old which parent he wants to live with after the divorce.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 10, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Darkrenown and Gort can you knock this poo poo off or take it to PMs? It's really no better than a dime a dozen internet slap fight.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

You haven't established anything of the kind. All you've done is misread a post and attempt to muddy the waters with trivia.

What? I gave an example of features in Galciv2, you talked about them for a bit and then said you'd never played Galciv2. So you either misunderstood my post or..I don't know, something?

Gort posted:

So you can't actually back up your statements about what I said, and are now attributing others words to me.

What the hell are you talking about? You said those exact things, here's the posts:

Gort posted:

The game is too boring not to use the AI automation. There are simply too many provinces for me to care about.

Gort posted:

Likewise, HoI3. There comes a point when the inflated province counts make conducting a war an unfun slog. You then fall back on the AI generals,

You seem to be seriously confused about what we're actually talking about.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 10, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Darkrenown and Gort can you knock this poo poo off or take it to PMs? It's really no better than a dime a dozen internet slap fight.

Done.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Darkrenown posted:

Do you get the message about "creating quads" etc? Or if not, what's it saying at the bottom of the screen for most of the time? Are you running it as an Admin? Have you tried just reinstalling it?

Nah wasn't a quads problem, and yes I had reinstalled it multiple times (mostly alongside a reinstall of windows which was for other reasons). Anyway I booted it up to take a look, because I realised I hadn't tried in about a year and for whatever reason it seems to have resolved itself. patch perhaps?, newer drivers? Who knows?!

So I spent the past few hours messing around with it. I played with USSR for a while then I had an idea to do go to a backward nation in the middle of nowehere like Australia in 1936 and turn on instant construction and research for a year. Much to my amusement, once 1939 rolls around, a nuclear armegeddon of 50 nukes marked the opening salvos of each new front, with an equal retaliation. Sadly by the time 1940 rolled around the game had so many units in it was just too laggy.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

You can't end this great tradition! I mean you two have done this what, once a fortnight for the last year or so?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Shanakin posted:

So I spent the past few hours messing around with it. I played with USSR for a while then I had an idea to do go to a backward nation in the middle of nowehere like Australia in 1936 and turn on instant construction and research for a year. Much to my amusement, once 1939 rolls around, a nuclear armegeddon of 50 nukes marked the opening salvos of each new front, with an equal retaliation. Sadly by the time 1940 rolled around the game had so many units in it was just too laggy.

Ha, yeah, those cheats apply to the AI too so they will all be max teched and have built a lot more units than normal.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Darkrenown posted:

Ha, yeah, those cheats apply to the AI too so they will all be max teched and have built a lot more units than normal.

Yeah that was kind of the plan, to sit back and watch the world explode with hellish fury but I didn't quite expect that level of destruction. I probably should have expected it, what with all the major powers bee-lining nuclear techs but it was pretty amazing. Germany and russia invade poland pretty to a pretty standard affair. England declares and instead of sitting back and letting it, put nuclear rockets onto every german provence worth mentioning. Suffice to say it just escalated from there with a massive retaliation on england. This didn't phase the german war machine mind you. Poland was annexed, really drat quickly, and they had nuked belgium, luxembourg, netherlands and france into submission and surrender before the end of '39. Then it was time for Norway, cue 50 nukes from each side flying across the baltic. That's about as far as I got before the game became too laggy. It was pretty glorious though. In the end whenever there was a nuclear exchange I'd just have to hold down enter to get through all the notices.

edit: meanwhile back in australia I had souped up the IC to 500 or so and could research 15 techs at a time. I had built a massive submarine fleet to own the pacific with and was working on a carrier fleet that could take on any of the big boys. unfortunately there was a slight problem in that it was impossible to bring in the resources to supply that much IC.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 10, 2013

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think we should set up Gort and Darkrenown for a trial by combat, with Steppe Wolfe being the weapon of choice.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I guess my Toxx got me to work.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

I think we should set up Gort and Darkrenown for a trial by combat, with Steppe Wolfe being the weapon of choice.

They should both start as OPMs in Japan and the first man to become King of Jerusalem wins.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Aren't there international treaties against that?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alchenar posted:

I've actually had long conversations with Darkrenown on HOI3 where he managed to change my mind from 'HOI3 is terrible' to 'HOI3 suffers from a number of design decisions which I would not have made and which negatively impact the experience, but is overall a somewhat interesting game right up until you try to launch Barbarossa, at which point all fun suffers from death by micromanagment'.

Key problems with that are:

1) The game should sell itself, it shouldn't need a Dev to sell it.

2) For a WW2 game the signature land campaign shouldn't be the lowest point of the user experience.

3) Automation is supposed to be a tool to allow the player to focus on the fun bits of the game, not replace the fun bits of the game.

I'll actually be really curious what tack they tack with HOI4. If it doubles down on the crazy province count/complexity/automation, or takes a step back towards the simpler HOI2.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

CK2 clicked for me very recently, and by playing that, I decided to give Vicky II a try. I still can't fanthom the trade mechanics. I start out as Sweden and proceed to build a cement factory. Cement is in high demand. Yet the factory barely makes even, and like half of it's stock is not sold every day. Other factories (liquor later on) are even worse. I just can't seem to grasp the logic of the products system. Also, does unsold factory produce go to the national stockpile? Does it hold over for another day?

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 10, 2013

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Tanist succession! loving yes.

What is this. I tried wikipedia, is it the dukes voting for the king?

Fintilgin posted:

I'll actually be really curious what tack they tack with HOI4. If it doubles down on the crazy province count/complexity/automation, or takes a step back towards the simpler HOI2.

edit: I'm a retard and thought you were talking about EU4

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 10, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

RentACop posted:

What is this. I tried wikipedia, is it the dukes voting for the king?
From what I gather, it was all the male members of the dynasty gathering together to elect a heir to the King when a new King had taken the helm. So basically elective but only within the dynasty.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 10, 2013

damug
Jun 21, 2004

Lord Tywin posted:

From what I gather, it was all the male members of the dynasty gathering together to elect a heir to the King when a new King had taken the helm. So basically elective but only within the dynasty.
So basically it'll be the new go-to over primogeniture?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

damug posted:

Yeah, it sounds pretty broken to me.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

damug posted:

Not really, Paradox mentioned that the dynasty will tend to elect older members and if they emulate history it should create a lot of civil wars.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Aren't there international treaties against that?

Yes, but the UN collapsed against the five million strong forces of the Napoleonic-era equipped Estonian Army back in 1991.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm reasonably sure that that would be trial by ordeal. :v:

Re: the earlier conversation, Steppe Wolfe is not abandoned and they released 1.17 a mere six weeks ago. The patch notes are wonderful, because somehow they think that adding formable Avignon, Savoy, and Switzerland is the key to fixing the Wolfe.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Friend Wiz, I'm really bad at looking over files to see the affects of events so I would like to ask you, what determines if you get cores when annexing a vassal?

Also maybe bugs: Italy starts without Lombard or anything as accepted culture which might be on purpose, Liege doesn't have a core on Liege but does on Namur, and the A New Elector event calls archbishops monarchs!

clarity edit: im talking about eu3+

jsoh fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 10, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mokotow posted:

I start out as Sweden and proceed to build a cement factory. Cement is in high demand. Yet the factory barely makes even, and like half of it's stock is not sold every day. Other factories (liquor later on) are even worse. I just can't seem to grasp the logic of the products system. Also, does unsold factory produce go to the national stockpile? Does it hold over for another day?

Goes to the stockpile. Remember that demand is actually not equivalent to the ability to acquire goods from the market and your tariffs might be too high for those who are supposed to be buying the cement. Your factory is having problems with profits because you don't have ready access to coal (and your tariffs are making imported coal more expensive for the capitalists who own the factory), either conquer somewhere that has it or sphere them if you are a great power. Madagascar is a great source if you can invade them before France event-annexes the country.

As Sweden you probably want to build some Lumber Yards and Steel Factories, as those goods are always profitable and you have access to the materials. Your primary goal will be forming Scandinavia, so bite the infamy (but don't surpass the limit) and invade Denmark as soon as possible, ideally when they have their inevitable war with Prussia. Sphere Norway when you become a GP and then do the same to Denmark if they are still around and you're golden. Best way to gain enough points to become a GP in the early game is by researching Medicine and Romanticism, so focus on that as well.

Diplomatically you will want to cozy up with Prussia, Austria and the Ottomans, as they can help you fight Russia for your cores in Finland, which should cement your position as a Great Power for the rest of the game.

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

SeaTard posted:

Yeah, it sounds pretty broken to me.
Well realistically you shouldn't be able to change succession law to tanistry. Nobody in this time period went from primogeniture to tanistry. It's something they had pre-1066 and maintained.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, something about Steppe Wolfe that I can't exactly discuss in my thread, but thought that the Paradox devs might be interested in. The Steppe Wolfe mod attempts to upload a soundtrack from a completely different game and put it into the mod Music folder in an apparent attempt to get it to play during EU3. This doesn't work for some reason: the soundtrack stays the same. I noticed that this Knights of Honor game is also published by Paradox and I was wondering if it's acceptable practice to steal another game's soundtrack and try to use that in a mod. :v: (I'm assuming that the only reason this hasn't been brought to light before is that the music utterly fails to make it into the actual game)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Patter Song posted:

So, something about Steppe Wolfe that I can't exactly discuss in my thread, but thought that the Paradox devs might be interested in. The Steppe Wolfe mod attempts to upload a soundtrack from a completely different game and put it into the mod Music folder in an apparent attempt to get it to play during EU3. This doesn't work for some reason: the soundtrack stays the same. I noticed that this Knights of Honor game is also published by Paradox and I was wondering if it's acceptable practice to steal another game's soundtrack and try to use that in a mod. :v: (I'm assuming that the only reason this hasn't been brought to light before is that the music utterly fails to make it into the actual game)

Was Steppe Wolfe the mod they tried to release as a 'stand alone' mod? I.e they included the .exe and the entire game, and seemed baffled any one objected because it was a 'stand alone mod.' Or was that some other crazy mod that used the V2 map?

telcontar
Dec 8, 2006

Patter Song posted:

This is extra funny because Black Sea Studios (who made Knights of Honor) was a Bulgarian developer.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Patter Song posted:

Doesn't the mod also contain swastikas, which is a violation of one of Paradox's forum rules? Not to be a dick to him or nothing, but since we're talking about things that a forums mod might want to call his attention to, he should fix it so there are no swastikas in my game as the Jewish Third Reich :colbert:.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Was Steppe Wolfe the mod they tried to release as a 'stand alone' mod? I.e they included the .exe and the entire game, and seemed baffled any one objected because it was a 'stand alone mod.' Or was that some other crazy mod that used the V2 map?

It's the same mod.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Knights of honour was an incredible game. I am so sad that no one else has tried to follow in their footsteps and meld EU with TW gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

quote:

- Army AI: Fixed an issue where it would not raise its own demesne ships

Hey, cool, I remember this causing problems for Sonendar! The dev (who I know posts in this thread) should be happy to see that one fixed.

However, my favorite patch note has to be

quote:

- Constantine de Hauteville is no longer female

Poor Constantine.

• Locked thread