Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I never could get too into minecraft or the 2-D clones on iOS (like junk jack) but I'm having a lot of fun with Blockheads. I'm definitely throwing down for the double speed thing. The animations are really fluid for movement; I love that I can scale walls and don't have to worry about ladders and boring stuff like that.

I'm building a gigantic ladder downwards. Gravity can suck my britches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
If you scroll all the way down, it shows starlight on the other side of the world. :3:

I just made a hat. I'm very happy.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blockhead is nice and Minecrafty, but it's very crash-prone on my iPhone 4. That annoys me.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.
Monkeys attack you if you chop down their trees too (obviously enough). Meditation appears to restore happiness.

oh and the £1.99 double speed crafting is totally worth it.

Zwilnik fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 10, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How do I make a little house? I don't see doors.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Meditation actually gains you items when you fill the bar. When mine finished I got a ruby, chili pepper, and a carrot.

It helps to have 2 people.

I also splurged on the doubler, and bought some crystals, which is worth it since I'll be playing this game for some time.

Oh and you need a woodworking bench for beds, doors, and the like.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm now wearing a pair of monkey fur boots. I'm a monster.

With warm and stylish feet.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Just flicking through the teaser trailers and saw one where they were riding a Donkey, looks like a hell of a lot of depth out of the gate.

How does it handle multiplayer, friend requesting or?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
New clash of clans update is out, does anyone play? It looks like they've added a third resource I can't afford., dark-elixir.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Fazana posted:

Just flicking through the teaser trailers and saw one where they were riding a Donkey, looks like a hell of a lot of depth out of the gate.

How does it handle multiplayer, friend requesting or?

Yup, just invite a friend through GC and they can join your existing world. Even has voice chat. It's pretty sweet.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Oh poo poo. I built a house and burnt it down with my campfire. I love this game.

Note: I've never played Mine Craft, but this poo poo blows my mind.

thedouche fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 10, 2013

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Does the time doubler work across all my worlds?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an rear end in a top hat and read the full description.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 10, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

thedouche posted:

Oh poo poo. I built a house and burnt it down with my campfire. I love this game.

Yeah I set my bed on fire and haven't really been able to recover health to max since. Stupid monkeys at night.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.
Goons, I just got an iPad mini, and I'm looking for good strategy games to play for it. I love the Kairosoft games, and I'd enjoy games like Clash of Clans or Battle Nations if it weren't for the terrible pace without IAP. I'm also not interested in PvP games -- I have no desire to work on something for a week just to have someone who's been playing forever roll through as soon as some stupid newbie protection buff wears off. Anything 4X, turn-based, or strategy-RPG flavored would be welcome, too!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

concerned mom posted:

New clash of clans update is out, does anyone play? It looks like they've added a third resource I can't afford., dark-elixir.
I think it's just you and me playing it, downloading the update now.

It's funny, I've been avoiding it for months because I thought it was an IAP crippled piece of crap but I decided to give it a chance during the Christmas break and really enjoy it. I just pop in for 5-10 mins each day and do my upgrades/launch an attack/whatever. I haven't spent a cent on it yet and don't plan to but I am having fun with it.

If you're patient, you really don't need to spend any money at all. I just wish there was some way of restarting your game.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

psylent posted:

It's funny, I've been avoiding it for months because I thought it was an IAP crippled piece of crap but I decided to give it a chance during the Christmas break and really enjoy it. I just pop in for 5-10 mins each day and do my upgrades/launch an attack/whatever. I haven't spent a cent on it yet and don't plan to but I am having fun with it.

If you're patient, you really don't need to spend any money at all. I just wish there was some way of restarting your game.

I haven't actually played much so I might be talking out of my butt here but I saw someone else mention that at high levels you pretty much have to spend cash in order to defend against being constantly raided by high lvl players? Is this true?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

psylent posted:

It's both a horrible grindfest and a thoroughly enjoyable 10 mins a day game. Definitely join a clan if you're not in one, it's worth it.

marshmonkey posted:

I haven't actually played much so I might be talking out of my butt here but I saw someone else mention that at high levels you pretty much have to spend cash in order to defend against being constantly raided by high lvl players? Is this true?

I'm townhall level 8 and this isn't really true. My base hasn't even been 3 starred by anyone yet. Town Hall 9 is where it gets serious business but I still don't think it will be true then. It's just everything will take about a week to build. If you're a casual like me then you'll just wait a week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm playing it too. You get protection from attacks depending on how brutalized you were in your last one. Getting all your stuff flattened gives you a 24h shield. I'm at the stage where my mines are taking 4+ days to upgrade tho. :gonk:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

concerned mom posted:

I'm townhall level 8 and this isn't really true. My base hasn't even been 3 starred by anyone yet. Town Hall 9 is where it gets serious business but I still don't think it will be true then. It's just everything will take about a week to build. If you're a casual like me then you'll just wait a week.

This guy had mentioned being like level 24 or something, though I don't know if that is a different level number than your townhall number. He had spent around a thousand dollars on the game over 8 months or so, so I don't think he was a casual player. He had to stop because he said it was becoming too expensive to compete. I guess waiting is not an option if you are specifically competing with people.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

marshmonkey posted:

This guy had mentioned being like level 24 or something, though I don't know if that is a different level number than your townhall number. He had spent around a thousand dollars on the game over 8 months or so, so I don't think he was a casual player. He had to stop because he said it was becoming too expensive to compete. I guess waiting is not an option if you are specifically competing with people.

I'm level 49 and haven't spent a dime. He sounds like a total nutcase!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

concerned mom posted:

I'm level 49 and haven't spent a dime. He sounds like a total nutcase!

Thats why I was curious, I have heard from some people that you don't actually lose anything when you get attacked - so what are competitive players spending money on? Speeding up timers to have a more awesome base that can't be defeated, depriving other players of a victory even though a defeat would have no real consequences?

If you get defeated is there a waiting period before you can attack people back or something that you can pay to hurry?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

marshmonkey posted:

Thats why I was curious, I have heard from some people that you don't actually lose anything when you get attacked - so what are competitive players spending money on? Speeding up timers to have a more awesome base that can't be defeated, depriving other players from a victory even if a defeat has no real consequences?

Yeah basically. You might lose about 10% of resources in an attack but its nothing really bad. Why do I play? I don't really know, it is just a build a base simulator!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

allsizesfitone posted:

Goons, I just got an iPad mini, and I'm looking for good strategy games to play for it. I love the Kairosoft games, and I'd enjoy games like Clash of Clans or Battle Nations if it weren't for the terrible pace without IAP. I'm also not interested in PvP games -- I have no desire to work on something for a week just to have someone who's been playing forever roll through as soon as some stupid newbie protection buff wears off. Anything 4X, turn-based, or strategy-RPG flavored would be welcome, too!

Battle Academy is the best strategy game on the system.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Zwilnik posted:

Monkeys attack you if you chop down their trees too (obviously enough). Meditation appears to restore happiness.
Are they monkeys? Does it say that anywhere? I want them to be tree sloths. I was assuming they were tree sloths (since they don't move), and I was loving this being the first game ever with angry tree sloths.

You know what, screw it, they're sloths in my world. That or drop bears. It shall be so until he adds a Creatureopedia or something that ruins my fantasy.

EDIT: VV Indeed. Jolly singing fat pirate man is so Christmas 2012.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 11, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Edit: ^Back to the old avatar I see^

This is a bit odd. I'm watching FF IV on TA and I just got a notification it's been released. It's been out for weeks! Anybody else experience this?

Blockheads is fantastic by the way.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I also jumped on the Clash of Clans bandwagon, and also threw some bux at it since I had an iTunes gift card that I got for Christmas lying around. Is it worth trying to set up a SA clan? I don't know how that poo poo works, I'm only at a level 3 town hall.

Also The Blockheads is fun as heck, gonna give them $3 for the time doubler for sure. Also it's way more fun to imagine that the monkeys are drop bears.

Zwilnik
Aug 1, 2007

If this game does well I'm writing Airburst next.

Shalinor posted:

Are they monkeys? Does it say that anywhere? I want them to be tree sloths. I was assuming they were tree sloths (since they don't move), and I was loving this being the first game ever with angry tree sloths.

You know what, screw it, they're sloths in my world. That or drop bears. It shall be so until he adds a Creatureopedia or something that ruins my fantasy.

I vote drop bears too.

Just found something else rather cool. Water displaces when you build in it :)

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
I tried using the wooden platforms to make a roof to "build shelter", but the rain still seems to be seeping through.

How do I actually build shelter?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Blockheads is pretty cool. I'm bad at these games but its cool.

I just want to say thank you to whomever decided to make it portrait or landscape. That is such an awesome feature because depending where I am I can still control the game even if I'm holding it one handed.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Oh my god no. The Dungeon Story update erased my progress. All that time wasted, aagh.

At least the game looks prettier now. :smith:

Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Don't put a wooden bed right next to your campfire and then sleep in it guys, it (and you) will burn :(

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

silloh posted:

I tried using the wooden platforms to make a roof to "build shelter", but the rain still seems to be seeping through.

How do I actually build shelter?

The platforms are different from other blocks in that they don't put a back wall in. With any other block, if you build two walls and then put a connecting roof it makes a sealed room automatically. The platforms are for making bridges and balconies and such.

silloh
Sep 5, 2008
So rather than just using the platform, I should just use the dirt blocks or wood blocks and I should be okay?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

silloh posted:

So rather than just using the platform, I should just use the dirt blocks or wood blocks and I should be okay?

True to my dwarvish nature I dug down first, and having a back wall prevents any rain/snow from leaking in.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

silloh posted:

Yep. Stone would work too. Any block. You might want to rethink the wooden walls/floors idea, though Wood burns. Though I assume the old minecraft trick of putting your fire in a stone enclosure would work.

Note that unlike Minecraft, The Blockheads recognizes floating block islands (and often destroys them). It makes chopping down giant trees hugely satisfying. Just smash out the bottom, then TIIIIIMMMMBEEEERRR. Well, "BOOM!" in any case. If you happen to destroy a placed chest this way (knock the ground out of underneath it), its contents are preserved, which should make moving house way easier.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 11, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeah I Like Girls posted:

Oh my god no. The Dungeon Story update erased my progress. All that time wasted, aagh.

At least the game looks prettier now. :smith:

Did it wipe building levels and class unlocks as well? I couldn't imagine starting over from nothing, especially not having the Fast game speed until you beat the game once (which is dumb as hell).

If you use programs like iFunbox you might be able to get saves from someone so that a new game would hurt less if nothing else. :smith:

e: I'm going to end up playing that drat Blockhead game because of you people talking about it. This is how I lost countless hours due to Battle Cats. :argh:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 11, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I can't for the life of me see where to make wooden sticks

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

concerned mom posted:

I can't for the life of me see where to make wooden sticks

Only place I've found them is cutting down trees. Big trees seem to drop seeds as well, so if you plant a tree farm and wait for them to get super huge it's renewable.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

marshmonkey posted:

Bloody hell, that sounds insane. I'll quit playing before if it ever gets that silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I hope it doesn't get that bad, but for me, getting to design uncrackable nuts of defensive might is fun as heck so I look at it mostly as a challenge. We'll see if I change my tune in a couple weeks when I'm getting constantly raided or whatever.

• Locked thread