Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Finally processing stuff I shot months ago. Shot these the end of September in Colorado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Also Wunderground will give you a %cloud cover in their hourly forcast. I find that incredibly useful when planning shoots.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Cross-posting from PAD

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

8th-samurai posted:

Also Wunderground will give you a %cloud cover in their hourly forcast. I find that incredibly useful when planning shoots.

Ooh good tip, thanks. Do you look for anything more specific than lower=better?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

BobTheCow posted:

Unless going for a specific effect (starkness, star trails, contrast), clouds add interest. Plain skies force foreground focus, so hopefully you've found something intriguing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BobTheCow posted:

Completely overcast gets you a boring gray sky. Completely clear tends to get you a boring blue sky, unless e.g. some interesting contrails appear. Just a bit of clouds tends to be the best bet IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Clouds after a thunderstorm tend to be loving amazing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

BobTheCow posted:

My general rule of thumb is anything <10% or >90% cloud coverage is a waste of film unless the light is amazing. This is highly subject though as I tend to photograph scenes with a large amount of sky in them. Even with weather reports I still spend a lot of time looking out my windows on days off hemming and hawing over whether it's worth it to pack up and go shoot.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

8th-samurai posted:

My general rule of thumb is anything <10% or >90% cloud coverage is a waste of film unless the light is amazing. This is highly subject though as I tend to photograph scenes with a large amount of sky in them. Even with weather reports I still spend a lot of time looking out my windows on days off hemming and hawing over whether it's worth it to pack up and go shoot.

This. Many of my images are 75% or more sky (see above 95% sky). But I'm weird. I've been pretty freaking lucky with cloud cover. I never really pay attention to weather reports. I just show up and I win the cloud lottery.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

This. Many of my images are 75% or more sky (see above 95% sky). But I'm weird. I've been pretty freaking lucky with cloud cover. I never really pay attention to weather reports. I just show up and I win the cloud lottery.

Yeah, it's hard top judge based on a number alone. Here in Seattle I just know that 90% cloud coverage will probably make me unhappy. I used to take more chances with skies when I shot digitally but with film bad skies cost money.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah, it's hard top judge based on a number alone. Here in Seattle I just know that 90% cloud coverage will probably make me unhappy. I used to take more chances with skies when I shot digitally but with film bad skies cost money.

Shooting film is a different story. Plan, hope, pray. Of course - it certainly matters where you are in the country. 90-100% cloud coverage here in New Mexico can be amazing.

It's usually right before or after a thunderstorm. Like this.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Whitezombi posted:

Finally processing stuff I shot months ago. Shot these the end of September in Colorado.

[/url]

:monocle:

God-drat.

Awesome dude.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

8th-samurai posted:

Here's a photographic representation:

Winter on the Puget Sound

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

vote_no posted:

Here's a photographic representation:

Winter on the Puget Sound

High noon in winter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like that look. :colbert:

Just need the right setting for it. And a tripod obviously.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I like that look. :colbert:

Just need the right setting for it. And a tripod obviously.

Setting? Use Velvia and underexpose it by a stop you scrub.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I meant setting as in scene, subject, or locale. You scrub. :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

I meant setting as in scene, subject, or locale. You scrub. :colbert:

Oh well in that case go to Mukilteo (a place for scrubs).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I prefer Anacortes and the San Juans, which is scrub free.

I've always been super rushed when I visit the area though, never really got the time to wander it properly.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

You guys should just hibernate in the winter.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Whitezombi posted:

Great shot. Did you have any filters on when you shot this?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Great shot. Did you have any filters on when you shot this?

Thanks. I never use filters.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
a few iphone landscape photos... one in pano mode (guess which one) the other with an instagram lo-fi filter applied to deepen the blues/add vignette

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

MMD3 posted:

a few iphone landscape photos... one in pano mode (guess which one) the other with an instagram lo-fi filter applied to deepen the blues/add vignette

I so want to go to Mt Hood.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

I so want to go to Mt Hood.

If there is one thing the PNW does well (there are many things) it's mountains. On a clear day (never) my commute has an amazing view.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

_MG_4897-288 by spf3million, on Flickr

Bilbo Baggins
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just some quick shots I snagged walking my dogs this morning. I love living in Washington.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

If there is one thing the PNW does well (there are many things) it's mountains. On a clear day (never) my commute has an amazing view.

I was in Portland for almost a week. The view was absolutely amazing. Of course I saw that view on the plane - the last 5 minutes I was in Portland.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The day I took those photos of mt. hood it was completely socked in and drizzly in Portland. drive 6,000 feet up to Timberline and it's a blue-bird spring-looking day.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, one winter in 2009 it was 32° and foggy in Seattle so I drove down to Lincoln City, OR. There it was 65° and sunny, with almost a hot wind coming off the water. I took these pictures along the way!

Cresting

Dichotomy

Cape Foulweather

Then I drove back over the hills and in the Willamette Valley it was 37° and super foggy.
Damnedest thing. Summer to winter, just over a mountain range.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Breakwater by francography, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Portland is just a neat city in general. Lots of odd things come together.. massive presence by Intel, the print industry is huge there, there's a big hippy culture, and lots of outdoor enthusiasts. Then you get out towards Gresham and it starts to turn into hardcore farming.. when I lived there one of my neighbors kept goats in their yard. A few miles east of Gresham you can disappear into dense forest with twisty roads that are a blast to drive, then a little further than that and you're in a national forest. If you head west, there's even more forests and an ocean.

Only downside is the rain, you really have to be able to tolerate it because they average even more precipitation than Seattle. Summers are loving fantastic though.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Groovy.

xzzy posted:

Portland is just a neat city in general. Lots of odd things come together.. massive presence by Intel, the print industry is huge there,
Do you work in the print industry?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

Do you work in the print industry?

16 years ago, yes. I was working my way up to being a press operator when I got into IT during the dotcom bubble.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

16 years ago, yes. I was working my way up to being a press operator when I got into IT during the dotcom bubble.

Cool. I work in pre-press/design. I ran a press 18 or so years ago.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2013-14 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I like this picture a very great deal. There is something about that tiny city on the horizon that is perfect, but I cannot express properly.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

I like this picture a very great deal. There is something about that tiny city on the horizon that is perfect, but I cannot express properly.

I think you are looking for loving Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It's Toronto, right? Where'd you take it from?