Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

alnilam posted:

Bringing some lozenges is probably the best you're gonna do, which might not be much.
Just bring it up casually during early-date small talk. Better to just be like "ha sorry I was sick last week, I might be coughing a bit but I'll try not to" than to try to pretend you're not sick.

Also movies are played loud for several reasons, audience eating/coughing noise being one of them.

I forgot about lozenges actually. I'll try them and see if they at least do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
There are also alcohol sprays that will numb your throat, they're always really effective at stopping me from coughing. Also bring a lot to drink.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

When answering a craigslist posting, when is the acceptable time to haggle? In the initial email/phone call? In person when you actually see the item?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

M42 posted:

When answering a craigslist posting, when is the acceptable time to haggle? In the initial email/phone call? In person when you actually see the item?

In the initial email. Its kind of a dick move to come to an agreement online, then show up and waste everybody's time by trying to get a better deal. Depending on who you are and who they are, you might also come across as trying to physically intimidate them, even if this isn't actually your intent. For many people, meeting with a stranger from the internet, who now knows where you live, can be a little bit scary.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I dunno, as far as craigslist goes, I assume I'm going to get lowballed when the person shows up anyway, if you lowball me right away in the email, I probably won't even answer you unless you're literally the only person making an offer.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It depends, if its like a car or something where the condition impacts the value then I think some haggling once you see it is justified. To be safe you can ask before you come to see whatever it is if the price is negotiable at all.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Okay, so I've got this one song that has this annoying feature of gradually getting louder; i.e., it increases in volume as the song progresses with a hard to hear beginning, a decent, but still kind of soft middle, and a perfectly level ending which is what I want the levels to be. I don't know if it was the mixer or artist's intention to do so for this particular song, but I've heard YouTube samples of the same song that has a consistent and good volume throughout. I think I just got a lovely mix or remaster or something.

Anyway, my question is is there a quick and special feature in Audacity where you can select the whole song and use some sort of built-in feature to automatically make the entire track have a consistent audio level throughout, or do I have to just select sections and use either amplify or compression? I don't want this track to look like a cone in Audacity anymore :(

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm making a large format vinyl/canvas banner (33" x 78") for a client and I had a question about the CMYK blacks. Usually I would use 'rich black' (e.g. some variation of 70/35/40/100), but this is most useful for things like web presses and multi-plate printing. However from what I can tell most large format printers use a 4 cartridge inkjet style system, would 'registration black' (100/100/100/100) be better?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

You Are A Elf posted:

Okay, so I've got this one song that has this annoying feature of gradually getting louder; i.e., it increases in volume as the song progresses with a hard to hear beginning, a decent, but still kind of soft middle, and a perfectly level ending which is what I want the levels to be. I don't know if it was the mixer or artist's intention to do so for this particular song, but I've heard YouTube samples of the same song that has a consistent and good volume throughout. I think I just got a lovely mix or remaster or something.

Anyway, my question is is there a quick and special feature in Audacity where you can select the whole song and use some sort of built-in feature to automatically make the entire track have a consistent audio level throughout, or do I have to just select sections and use either amplify or compression? I don't want this track to look like a cone in Audacity anymore :(

Would something like this help: http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator ?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Levelator is great for podcasts and the such, but it does not do very well with music, unfortunately.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Levelator is great for podcasts and the such, but it does not do very well with music, unfortunately.

Yeah I've only ever used it for interviews, I guess it would gently caress with music.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does anyone in SA-Mart make custom Nook cases? I'm looking for a decent case but all the ones I'm finding are either outrageously priced or look like poo poo.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Thank you for the help, fellers, but I just went ahead and played it by ear with headphones and amplified what needed to be amplified in sections accordingly and blended the amplified parts where the song noticeably gets louder. Everything now sounds consistent throughout, and I think I did a pretty good job just by listening closely. Thanks again, the twos of youse.

Subway Ninja
Aug 24, 2005

I was brainstorming ideas for story purposes and had a thought regarding personal legal responsibility in an unusual circumstance.

For example, it's winter in Minnesota, I'm walking down a somewhat rural road in freezing temperatures, and a car approaches. It slows considerably, the window rolls down, and a large object is tossed at me. Out of pure instinct I manage to catch it, and by the time I do, the car is far away and the weather makes it all but impossible at any sort of identification. I look at what I caught and it is a baby.

Moral issues aside, what legal responsibilities would I have in this situation? As the baby is in my possession, am I now responsible for it's well-being until I can give it to authorities? If I were to set it down on the side of the snowy road, where it would undoubtedly freeze to death, can I be held responsible for this?

The concept revolves around forced responsibility for another person, particularly when they are not capable of taking care of themselves. The baby/car/remoteness just made it easier to illustrate my point, but this could apply to a young child, elderly with certain issues, severely disabled person.

Can someone else (probably illegally) force me to temporarily become legally responsible for another person's life?

(As this is rather outlandish and somewhat general in nature, I figured this would be a better place than a legal thread. If I was mistaken, please let me know)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I found a wells fargo credit card on the street. Is there a number I can call to let the bank know someone lost their card? Or could I just drop it off in person at a wells fargo?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Wedemeyer posted:

I found a wells fargo credit card on the street. Is there a number I can call to let the bank know someone lost their card? Or could I just drop it off in person at a wells fargo?

Is there anything written on the back of the card? A lot of them will have an address printed on them that you can mail the card to.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

NaturalLow posted:

Is there anything written on the back of the card? A lot of them will have an address printed on them that you can mail the card to.

Don't waste the time mailing. Just call the customer number on the back, tell them you found it in a parking lot. They will have you confirm the number, they cancel it and then you shred it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Subway Ninja posted:

Can someone else (probably illegally) force me to temporarily become legally responsible for another person's life?
In short, yes. You'd be expected to act like a reasonable human and make a good faith effort to safeguard the child's well-being until the authorities arrived.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Subway Ninja posted:

I was brainstorming ideas for story purposes and had a thought regarding personal legal responsibility in an unusual circumstance.

For example, it's winter in Minnesota, I'm walking down a somewhat rural road in freezing temperatures, and a car approaches. It slows considerably, the window rolls down, and a large object is tossed at me. Out of pure instinct I manage to catch it, and by the time I do, the car is far away and the weather makes it all but impossible at any sort of identification. I look at what I caught and it is a baby.

Moral issues aside, what legal responsibilities would I have in this situation? As the baby is in my possession, am I now responsible for it's well-being until I can give it to authorities? If I were to set it down on the side of the snowy road, where it would undoubtedly freeze to death, can I be held responsible for this?

The concept revolves around forced responsibility for another person, particularly when they are not capable of taking care of themselves. The baby/car/remoteness just made it easier to illustrate my point, but this could apply to a young child, elderly with certain issues, severely disabled person.

(As this is rather outlandish and somewhat general in nature, I figured this would be a better place than a legal thread. If I was mistaken, please let me know)

In Minnesota you could probably at a minimum be charged with violating their Good Samaritan laws for not seeking any medical help for the baby.

http://www.heartsafeam.com/files/Minnesota_Good_Samaritan_Act.pdf

Most states have some sort of law on the books that state you must provide reasonable help to your fellow man in times of medical emergencies. A baby freezing to death would certainly qualify.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gravity Pike posted:

In the initial email. Its kind of a dick move to come to an agreement online, then show up and waste everybody's time by trying to get a better deal. Depending on who you are and who they are, you might also come across as trying to physically intimidate them, even if this isn't actually your intent. For many people, meeting with a stranger from the internet, who now knows where you live, can be a little bit scary.

Yeah, this is what I thought too. I was asking mostly out of curiosity, cause the deals I find on CL are so reasonable it'd be an insult to haggle, so I never do it. :haw:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

FCKGW posted:

Most states have some sort of law on the books that state you must provide reasonable help to your fellow man in times of medical emergencies. A baby freezing to death would certainly qualify.

Minnesota and Vermont are the only states where the Good Samaritan law requires bystanders to provide assistance. The law is mostly about limiting liability so that bystanders are encouraged (but not required) to help. The government doesn't want people thinking "well I should try and help this person but if I do it wrong or something they'll sue me so forget it".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
. whoops

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 11, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Wedemeyer posted:

It's pretty well safe now if you have it so if you can internet detective the owner you might try and contact them, they might not even realize it's missing and hadn't called it in yet as such and you'd save them some trouble. They might smoke you down with some stinky dank nugs.

edit: make them verify the bank/last 4 digits or something just in case you internet-detectived a scandalous person with the same name.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 11, 2013

TheHistoryChannel
Feb 12, 2008

Subway Ninja posted:

You can drop off a child at a fire station no questions asked and not be charged with abandonment. If you did it with an elderly/sick person you could call adult protective services and they would know what to do.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Wagonburner posted:

It's pretty well safe now if you have it so if you can internet detective the owner you might try and contact them, they might not even realize it's missing and hadn't called it in yet as such and you'd save them some trouble. They might smoke you down with some stinky dank nugs.

edit: make them verify the bank/last 4 digits or something just in case you internet-detectived a scandalous person with the same name.

Dont do this. Call the bank or go there in person and ask them what to do. You dont want to be snooping in to random people's lives.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Was there some sort of shipping delay on the mainland US recently? I had two packages that were estimated to be delivered on Friday (one FedEx, the other UPS), and one got pushed back to Monday the other to Tuesday.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

the Good Samaritan law requires bystanders to provide assistance.

This got me thinking: When in history did the Good Samaritan story become mainly about helping people? Jesus' main point was basically that Jews can be dicks and non-jews can be good people too, so stop being an elitist rear end in a top hat and start being nice, but you only ever hear of it as a story about helping people.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BonHair posted:

This got me thinking: When in history did the Good Samaritan story become mainly about helping people? Jesus' main point was basically that Jews can be dicks and non-jews can be good people too, so stop being an elitist rear end in a top hat and start being nice, but you only ever hear of it as a story about helping people.

I think you're reading too much into the identity of the characters. It was told in response to a question about how to get into heaven and the answer was to be nice to people. The point of the story would be the same if the other guys on the road hadn't been identified in any way.

quote:

Luke 10:25-37
New International Version (NIV)
The Parable of the Good Samaritan

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 The next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've only recently, past few months, been seeing commercials on TV for the Shingles virus and whatever product it was they were trying to sell. But what I thought was most interesting is that the Shingles virus is gotten by having chicken pox.

Are chicken pox "parties" still a thing any more?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No. It was decided that chicken pox is dangerous, and shingles suck. Now they vaccinate against chicken pox.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Chicken pox is only dangerous when your first infection happens as an adult. And with sufficient herd immunity it can be hard to guarantee that all children will be exposed and infected. That's why there's a policy of vaccination, which makes pox parties redundant.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

El_Elegante posted:

Chicken pox is only dangerous when your first infection happens as an adult.

This is not true.

quote:

Serious complications from chickenpox include

dehydration
pneumonia
bleeding problems
infection or inflammation of the brain (encephalitis, cerebellar ataxia)
bacterial infections of the skin and soft tissues in children including Group A streptococcal infections
blood stream infections (sepsis)
toxic shock syndrome
bone infections
joint infections

Some people with serious complications from chickenpox can become so sick that they need to be hospitalized. Chickenpox can also cause death.

Some deaths from chickenpox continue to occur in healthy, unvaccinated children and adults
http://www.cdc.gov/chickenpox/about/complications.html

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yes and even paper cuts can lead to fatal sepsis, but I'm not going to tell the average person with a paper cut that it could kill them you pedantic rear end.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Point being there's a vaccine now so there's no reason to have the chicken pox parties.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

El_Elegante posted:

Yes and even paper cuts can lead to fatal sepsis, but I'm not going to tell the average person with a paper cut that it could kill them you pedantic rear end.

1) Oddly, the CDC doesn't have a web page saying that paper cuts can kill otherwise healthy children.

2) I've seen children have neurological problems for years after the chicken pox. It's not "only dangerous when your first infection happens as an adult."

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I need to set up an online repository where people can essentially add files to a black box. Something simple so they can just browse their desktop to upload the file and not be able to see what else is in the directory they have added material to. Is there a good free (preferred) or pay solution for this? Setting up a private ftp server would be great except it really needs to be accessible by online impaired, as simple of a process as possible without the need to install anything locally for those wishing to upload.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

nesbit37 posted:

I need to set up an online repository where people can essentially add files to a black box. Something simple so they can just browse their desktop to upload the file and not be able to see what else is in the directory they have added material to. Is there a good free (preferred) or pay solution for this? Setting up a private ftp server would be great except it really needs to be accessible by online impaired, as simple of a process as possible without the need to install anything locally for those wishing to upload.

Just e-mail it as an attachment?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For small items that is fine but I am expecting at least some files over 25mb, or multiple small files that will also probably exceed an attachment limit. I may just have to deal with the big ones separately but an all in one solution would be nice.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

nesbit37 posted:

For small items that is fine but I am expecting at least some files over 25mb, or multiple small files that will also probably exceed an attachment limit. I may just have to deal with the big ones separately but an all in one solution would be nice.

What's wrong with Dropbox or Google Drive? You can create a folder in one and share it with everyone. This won't work if it's an unknown number of people like for a website but for a small team it would work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

gariig posted:

What's wrong with Dropbox or Google Drive? You can create a folder in one and share it with everyone. This won't work if it's an unknown number of people like for a website but for a small team it would work

nesbit wants its contents to be hidden from uploaders, i.e. they can't see other people's homework or whatever.

I know it's possible to make a webform that uploads something to an ftp, so your students (?) could go follow a link and see a little [Browse] [Upload] box to send it to the FTP, which they can't directly access.
But I think you need to use PHP or something. I dunno much more about it, sorry, but maybe this will help give you something more specific to search for? Googling "webform upload ftp" yields a lot of pertinent results.

edit: Also yousendit has a digital dropbox thing, but I think it's a paid feature. Also blackboard has it, if you happen to be faculty at an institution that uses blackboard.

edit2: Serious suggestion, if you have no idea how to do server-side coding, maybe find a web programmer on craigslist and pay her like :20bux: to code this for you. Then you have it forever, instead of needing to pay a monthly fee like with yousendit. I have a feeling that if all you're doing is making a single webpage with an upload box to upload to an FTP, it'll be an easy enough job that it won't take an experienced programmer more than an hour to do. But that's just a guess, for all I know it could take a week just to lay the foundations to be able to do that!

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 11, 2013