Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Okay so this is a bit odd, but i really enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VIII and KOTOR because of the card game that was implemented into it, is there any games that have something similar? Not a flat out CCG but a game that has a CCG as part of it (and one thats probably better?) Something about collecting them and getting a better deck as a sidequest sort of thing was really great.
Might and Magic VII had one called Arcomage that had some depth to it. I don't remember if there was any quest attached to it, I think it was simply a alternative source of money, but still entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Rage has a fully fledged CCG in it.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Camping.. Intense! posted:

Okay so this is a bit odd, but i really enjoyed playing Final Fantasy VIII and KOTOR because of the card game that was implemented into it, is there any games that have something similar? Not a flat out CCG but a game that has a CCG as part of it (and one thats probably better?) Something about collecting them and getting a better deck as a sidequest sort of thing was really great.

I remember The Witcher having a fun little dice game in it

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Rabhadh posted:

I remember The Witcher having a fun little dice game in it

Both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 have it, but it's missing the collecting part.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Does anyone have anything for tactical turnbased squad gameplay? Something recent with ok graphics and a passable story, it's the gameplay that matters the most.
Silent Storm might be stretching "recent" slightly, but it still holds up fine and the GOG version gets around some modern compatibility issues. It's pretty much a Jagged Alliance 2 spiritual sequel (assuming you've played JA2, if not, get on it right now), in 3D, with amazing and hilarious destructible terrain that'll likely play a key part in every battle. Group of enemies trying to enter through the garage? Blow out the floor beneath them, sending them plummeting to deaths, severe wounds and a mazelike basement to desperately crawl out of. Through the front? Climb onto the roof, destroying the way up behind you, raining death upon them from above. So many options, and by the third or fourth wave of soldiers and Panzerkleins, you'll need every one of them.

Time to reinstall, actually.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What decent combat games are there on the PC? I loved the hell out of Ninja Gaiden Black years ago, and after The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls I've got the bug for something that'll kick my arse up and down the hall. It's just all the big names (DMC, Bayonetta) are console exclusives.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What decent combat games are there on the PC? I loved the hell out of Ninja Gaiden Black years ago, and after The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls I've got the bug for something that'll kick my arse up and down the hall. It's just all the big names (DMC, Bayonetta) are console exclusives.
Actually, the PC version of Devil May Cry 4 runs better than the console version! 3 apparently isn't as good a port, but it's there too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Three is playable but takes a lot of tweaking.

Four is Unreal engine iirc, explaining why the port turned out so good. I think the upcoming reboot is being released on PC simultaneously. From what I've heard it managed to get the gameplay side right.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mokinokaro posted:

Three is playable but takes a lot of tweaking.

Four is Unreal engine iirc, explaining why the port turned out so good. I think the upcoming reboot is being released on PC simultaneously. From what I've heard it managed to get the gameplay side right.

Actually, DMC4 is Capcom's internal engine. They start on the PC and port to the consoles, but they're super protective of the engine, and supposedly don't even let contracted studios use it.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm wondering if the Heroes Of Might And Magic series is something for me.

Examples of TBS games I like are King's Bounty, Total War series, many 4x games, old x-com games, etc.
I've heard HoMM is mostly like King's Bounty, so it should be up my alley.

So, is the HoMM series worth looking into? And which games of the HoMM series would you recommend?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've been on an isolated exploration kick recently and played through Tomb Raider Anniversary + Underworld (Legends barely has any tombs in it!), Super Metroid and Prime 1 & 2.

Any other similar recommendations? Some kind of space age Tomb Raider, basically. I bet there's some indie games out there I'm not aware of.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Kalenden posted:

So, is the HoMM series worth looking into? And which games of the HoMM series would you recommend?

I haven't played five and I thought four wasn't too great, but the first three games of HoMM are amazing. You can get all three on GoG I believe, and with expansions. Three is probably the most developed of the series and if you only get one title get that one, but the first and second ones have a lot of character as well. Great gameplay, really nice art and beautiful music.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've been on an isolated exploration kick recently and played through Tomb Raider Anniversary + Underworld (Legends barely has any tombs in it!), Super Metroid and Prime 1 & 2.

Any other similar recommendations? Some kind of space age Tomb Raider, basically. I bet there's some indie games out there I'm not aware of.

If I understand right you're looking for a sci-fi action-adventure where you're mostly on your own? I can only recommend the System Shock series which are two of the greatest games. Bioshock would work as well if you want something newer although I don't have much experience with those. More along the lines of Super Metroid you could try Aquaria or an old game called Flashback and its sequel Fade to Black if you can find it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Someone was asking for this really recently so you should check the past couple of pages and also play the Knytt games.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Kalenden posted:

4 somehow managed to be terrible, but 5 is okay if you get hold of Tribes of the East. There is a fan patch that adds all the campaigns into it so there's no need to buy the others.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tagra posted:

4 somehow managed to be terrible, but 5 is okay if you get hold of Tribes of the East. There is a fan patch that adds all the campaigns into it so there's no need to buy the others.

You're kidding me, can you link that? I think you just sold me on HoMM 5.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Kalenden posted:

Examples of TBS games I like are King's Bounty, Total War series, many 4x games, old x-com games, etc.

Since they're super cheap now it probably doesn't matter but I'd say just get 3... 4 is terrible and though I haven't heard anything about how bad 5 is, I haven't heard anything about it being great either.

Heroes 3 is basically an excellent upgrade of everything that was great in 1 and 2 with more great bundled in. If you love the game a whole heap I guess you could play 2 for the campaign (which is great!) or 1 for I dunno... kicks?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You're kidding me, can you link that? I think you just sold me on HoMM 5.

Ummmm... I downloaded it ages and ages ago. Dominic posts the links periodically in the Steam thread (pretty much any time someone asks about HOMM :v:) but this was the first hit on Google and I think it's the right one:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-611.html

There's also an improved AI pack that's usually recommended in the same breath.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
HoMM 5 is pretty great, and in some ways I like it better than 3, there are some pretty interesting new mechanics like skill trees, unique abilities for each race, and branching unit upgrades.
HoMM 6 was terrible the last time I played it, don't know if they patched it at all.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are there any PC puzzle/adventure games out there like The Room on iOS?

What I'm looking for is that pure mechanical type of puzzle, the closest I can think of is Myst 3: Exile, which was (apparently) a big change from the other Myst games (and probably the only one I like), the Amateria age in particular having a multitude of small mechanical puzzles that culminate into one big one.

No idea if you understand what I'm talking about :shobon:

Here are examples of both games to get a better idea (puzzle solving spoiler alert!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHb9wLdxsrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAqEY7uzTM

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Actually, the PC version of Devil May Cry 4 runs better than the console version! 3 apparently isn't as good a port, but it's there too.

I never got on with DMC, everything felt far too floaty, no weight to anything. I was hoping for something a bit more methodical and Souls-ey. Arcania and the Legacy of Kains are on Steam, and look sort of the right thing. They any good?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 10, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I never got on with DMC, everything felt far too floaty, no weight to anything. I was hoping for something a bit more methodical and Souls-ey. Arcania and the Legacy of Kains are on Steam, and look sort of the right thing. They any good?

I'm a big fan of the Legacy of Kain series, particularly Defiance. The world is interesting and the combat satisfying, although I don't know how they hold up to Demon's/Dark Souls as I could never get into those.

No idea about Arcania.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Arcania is horrible poo poo. Imagine if Fable were really boring and weirdly generic. It's kind of an embarrassment that the publisher slapped the Gothic name on there. Play Risen instead.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I am looking for more :smith: games - I beat Limbo, Spec Ops: The Line and The Walking Dead and I want more games on that same harrowing vibe.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Best I can say about Arcania is "it's an RPG". At its best it's okay but nothing really stands out that would warrant shutting off an RPG like Risen, an earlier game in the Gothic series, Witcher II, or even a game like Divinity II or Two Worlds II.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I am looking for more :smith: games - I beat Limbo, Spec Ops: The Line and The Walking Dead and I want more games on that same harrowing vibe.
Mother 3. It's a Nintendo game that never officially made it out of Japan, but there's an excellent fan translation. Guaranteed to make anyone weep.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I recommend the Legacy of Kain series. The combat isn't as advanced as Dark Souls (but hey, it's like ten years older) but it's visceral and fun. The lore and voice acting is top notch, too. There's a bit of backtracking, especially in later games, but they are worth it.

Most of the time, you can't kill enemies unless you impale them, burn them or dissolve them (in the case of Vampires). You gotta take weapons from the scenery to do so, at least for the early game. Also, removing the weapon from an impaled body, or eating too many souls in the spirit plane, will revive enemies. It was incredible for it's time, and it's still great.

Miznasty
Feb 14, 2012
Hey- I am looking for a game that is either an MMO or multiplayer with good open world pvp. My favorite pvp was in oldschool ultima online. I have already tried guild wars 2 and SWTOR.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorOfLawls posted:

To The Moon should do the trick.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Miznasty posted:

Hey- I am looking for a game that is either an MMO or multiplayer with good open world pvp. My favorite pvp was in oldschool ultima online. I have already tried guild wars 2 and SWTOR.

Well, there's Planetside 2, if you're okay with shooters. Other than that, EVE Online is more RPG-ish, and easily has the closest design philosophy to oldschool UO: in EVE, you can grief people and cause misery and (permanent) damage like in no other MMO.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That legacy of kain combat sounds sweet, gonna give that a whirl.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

The Void is fairly bleak, and trippy as hell.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is loving awesome if you're okay with first person games. It has an awesomely fun melee combat system, and is plenty challenging on the higher difficulty settings.
Also, if multiplayer is fine, get Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. It's basically Braveheart Battle Scene: The Game. Brutal as gently caress and just an absolute blast to play.

Kalenden posted:

Fun trivia: The original King's Bounty (the recent one is a remake) is what the original HoMM was pretty much based on, gameplay-wise. So yeah, I think you should feel right at home with HoMM games.
Just wanna add my voice to the choir here, saying that three and five are the best games in the series. Get either or both.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Seconding To the Moon.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That legacy of kain combat sounds sweet, gonna give that a whirl.

Try the first one (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver) - is the best point of entry to the series, and it has less backtracking than 2.

Another interesting thing: You can't die in-game - you automatically go into the inmaterial phase. Yeah, it really sounds like an older Dark Souls. :v:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Azran posted:

Try the first one (Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver) - is the best point of entry to the series, and it has less backtracking than 2.

That's not the first one, the first one was Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - which is a fantastic game, but plays very differently - much more akin to an old top down Zelda game than anything that came after it in the series.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

That's not the first one, the first one was Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - which is a fantastic game, but plays very differently - much more akin to an old top down Zelda game than anything that came after it in the series.

Yeah, I know Blood Omen came first, but I don't know if it's available on Steam. I don't know about Blood Omen 2, but Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance went the Soul Reaver 1 route regarding gameplay.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Anyone know of any co-op browser games or light downloads that my long-distance boyfriend and I can play together? A) we will both be on MacBook Pros with no mice b) he is not a heavy gamer, so no serious shooters or twitchy poo poo and please don't say minecraft c) free is a good thing, cheap is fine.

We've been playing a lot of Facebook Scrabble and we need something new. Thanks!

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Azran posted:

Yeah, I know Blood Omen came first, but I don't know if it's available on Steam. I don't know about Blood Omen 2, but Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance went the Soul Reaver 1 route regarding gameplay.

Neither of the Blood Omen games are available on Steam. Blood Omen 2 however is available on GOG. The original isn't available anywhere, I think. I was hoping it would be released on GOG for easy compatibility with newer operating systems, but from what I've read, getting it to work isn't the problem.

Also, the chronological order of the games is a bit weird. Blood Omen 2 is a sequel to the original and happens prior to the other games, but it is best played after Soul Reaver 2 as it is responsible for the event that makes Blood Omen 2's story possible.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Blood Omen 2 is the worst in the series and has a different director and general aesthetic, feel free to skip it and just play Soul Reaver 1, 2 and Defiance which all tie in together nicely.

Auberginetuna
Dec 29, 2012

On my brunch break

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You could try Cave Story i guess?
It's free, but there's a plus version on Steam that's ten bucks, and another updated version on the 3ds.

Also there's UnEpic, but i havent played that, so i cant really recommend it.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a mindless fps that isn't like Call Of Duty?

Auberginetuna fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Auberginetuna posted:

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a mindless fps that isn't like Call Of Duty?
Bulletstorm and Serious Sam, especially the older ones. Also, Painkiller: Black.