Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

indigi posted:

You Made It Weird

For a long stretch, episodes of this were pretty 'can't miss' for me, but it has gotten spottier over the last couple of months. Anyone else find that? Perfectly willing to accept that it's just me if not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm also going to recommend Improv 4 Humans. You're not gonna get Proops, Burr or Oswalt, but you'll get very funny UCB members doing some great improv for an hour every week. It's also hosted by Matt Besser, who I think is very funny.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I find that YMiW has started to just rehash talk about the 'mindset/psyche' of stand up and stand ups. Rather than interesting stories about the guests' pasts. I'm interested in that world, but there's a bit too much shop talk, and a bit too much 'us versus civilians' at times.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SKULE123 posted:

For a long stretch, episodes of this were pretty 'can't miss' for me, but it has gotten spottier over the last couple of months. Anyone else find that? Perfectly willing to accept that it's just me if not.

Free podcast. Can you believe this podcast is free? It's free, you pay nothing.

(in case anyone thinks I'm sassing you this is what Pete says 5 times an episode and it's annoying as hell)

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Al! posted:

Free podcast. Can you believe this podcast is free? It's free, you pay nothing.

I heard that in my head as I was posting, too. :stare:

Can't decide if it's an excess of familiarity with the podcaster or if it's part of Cycle of the Successful Podcaster - a great show leads to outside projects, outside projects mean less time and energy to put into individual podcast episodes during busy season.

Still love Petey Pants and would love to see him live, and I'll still give every episode a chance, but it has flagged a bit from 'appointment podcasting' to 'who's the guest?' (Although some of Pete's guests I haven't known have still been super-interesting, depending on the flow of conversation.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 3, 2013

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

SKULE123 posted:

I feel the exact same way. Ever since around the Shane Mauss(I think) episode I feel like a lot of Pete's enjoyment of his own not knowing about stuff has lost it's charm. Also that thing with Jon Glaser also kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. It just feels like he can slip into being incredibly thoughtless about other people. I still enjoy most of the episodes though and I don't think I will ever not love that laugh

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Its a real shame too. For a stretch there he was a very thoughtful host and was close to being my favorite podcast.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Just posted a new Lou Reads that I did from the GBS Sucky Christmas Presents thread.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

I heard that in my head as I was posting, too. :stare:

Can't decide if it's an excess of familiarity with the podcaster or if it's part of Cycle of the Successful Podcaster - a great show leads to outside projects, outside projects mean less time and energy to put into individual podcast episodes during busy season.

Still love Petey Pants and would love to see him live, and I'll still give every episode a chance, but it has flagged a bit from 'appointment podcasting' to 'who's the guest?' (Although some of Pete's guests I haven't known have still been super-interesting, depending on the flow of conversation.

Considering that Pete's shows are getting longer and longer, I wouldn't necessarily chalk it up to him being busy. The show was front-loaded with all of his friends and closest conspirators at the beginning, when he was still getting used to the format. At this point, the guests are leaning more towards acquaintances (and New York comics he hasn't worked with in years) but the shows are still 2+ hours long and just as meandering as they are when someone like Kumail is on - they will necessarily skew towards repetitiveness since it's kind of a turb-charged version of small talk that he's doing at this point.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I feel the exact same way. Ever since around the Shane Mauss(I think) episode I feel like a lot of Pete's enjoyment of his own not knowing about stuff has lost it's charm. Also that thing with Jon Glaser also kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. It just feels like he can slip into being incredibly thoughtless about other people. I still enjoy most of the episodes though and I don't think I will ever not love that laugh

The Jon Glasser thing didn't bother me about him letting Bret Ernst say a bunch of hateful racist poo poo without calling him out on it, but I guess Pete's not that kind of guy.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Shows like that are better with an audience so the host and guest have more of an obligation to entertain instead of crawl up each others' asses.

A Fistful of Dicks
Jan 8, 2011

TBF, I've only listened to two Harmontown's and wasn't impressed, but love Dan Harmon otherwise. I'm willing to give him another shot.

tnimark posted:

My favourite podcasts that have started up within the last year(ish) are probably Matt Besser's Improv4Humans and The Dana Gould Hour.

Greg Proops has been on the Todd Glass Show, which can be a good podcast at times.

Added!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I'd say try: The Dana Gould Hour, Nerd Poker (Brian Posehn and friends playing D&D. It's brand new and amazing), Throwing Shade (if you're into the preachy part of Smartest),and Dead Authors Podcast (I'm amazed Proops hasn't done this)

In Case of Emergency and Satellite Dish were good while they lasted to. If you even kind of like MBMBAM give them a shot.

indigi posted:

You Made It Weird

SpacePig posted:

I'm also going to recommend Improv 4 Humans. You're not gonna get Proops, Burr or Oswalt, but you'll get very funny UCB members doing some great improv for an hour every week. It's also hosted by Matt Besser, who I think is very funny.

Thank you all very, very much!!!

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I recommend The Whiskey Brothers podcast, I recently lost my ability to listen to as many podcasts at work, and I still make time to listen to all of their podcasts

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

TBF, I've only listened to two Harmontown's and wasn't impressed, but love Dan Harmon otherwise. I'm willing to give him another shot.

If you started from the beginning, the first few eps can be rough as the show finds its footing (although it was a show a while before it was a podcast). Harmontown is a drunk crazy person ranting about nothing of importance but still somehow stumbling upon genius more than occasionally. If you're a normal it probably won't appeal to you but as a fellow crazy person I could and have listened to him rant all day long.

Also starting episode 8 they play D&D almost every episode, occasionally with a guest appearance (Greg Proops plays a unicorn named Tylenol with Codeine). So if you're fine with listening to him rant but just want like 15-30 minutes less of it, start listening to it there. Although the first session is pretty rough.

One of my favorite things about the show is that Harmon will let anyone get up on stage at any time and say anything. Seriously. Usually the only one who takes advantage of this is the prophet Adam Goldberg, but Harmon brings people up on stage a lot too. Usually black people. This led to one of the best quotes of any podcast, "Don't ask black people time travel questions."

If you want an episode that's simply Harmon at his funniest, you can't go wrong with the latest one. I skip any episode with Erin as guest comptroller, not because I don't like her, but she's too similar to Harmon to be comptroller. Jeff Davis is great because why the gently caress is he there? Why isn't he out loving some dude lady? I think the answer becomes apparent anytime Jeff, Dan and Erin are on stage together.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

After a minor bit of thread backlash, YMIW releases an Aziz episode and it is a pretty good listen (at least the first half I've gotten through, anyways).

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 4, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anyone know which ep of The Pod F. Tompkast he did the Google Voice Theater of Star Wars?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
First episode I think? One of the early ones at least.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

SKULE123 posted:

After a minor bit of thread backlash, YMIW releases an Aziz episode and it is a pretty good listen (at least the first half I've gotten through, anyways).

I thought the Joe Hartzler episode from earlier in the week was much, much better (possibly one of the best YMIW episodes). Maybe because he reminded me of myself in some ways :shobon:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The latest Bone Zone is really great. They start a call-out advice show for women, where they call up girls randomly and give them advice from a couple straight-shootin guys. On this installment they talk to Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci, and give them TONS of good advice.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Nerd Poker (Brian Posehn and friends playing D&D. It's brand new and amazing)

This is loving MAGICAL right here...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you dig Nerd Poker there's also a podcast called Drunks and Dragons that's basically the exact same thing but with normal foul mouthed terrible people instead of famous ones. It started just like, a week or something before Nerd Poker so you don't have a ton to catch up on.

gimme the lute
Aug 8, 2008

Dancing through the AL East

SKULE123 posted:

This sort of coincides with Pete becoming more conscious (or maybe just more obvious) with the "Comedy, Sex, God" routine. A lot of the earlier shows felt like great meandering conversations that happened to hit a lot of common themes, but his more recent style of "we talked about X, now how about Y" feels jarring to me. He's also cut a few interesting lines of conversation short for the sake of "we need time to talk about X" when it sounds like there might have been some really engaging topics coming up organically. The bit at the end of the Aziz Ansari episode when he's clearly fishing for God stuff was a particularly blatant example of this.

edit: But it's still my favorite podcast.

gimme the lute fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 7, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

A new Harmontown every day for, what, a month? I feel bad for Harmon and Davis and Spencer, but jesus. It's gonna be a good month.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
noooooooooo huell :(

maybe his coffin will be made out of 24 karat.... California Gold

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Jesse Thorn had a nice post about Huell.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Riptor posted:

noooooooooo huell :(

maybe his coffin will be made out of 24 karat.... California Gold

ARgk :qq:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anyone know when KPCS is supposed to be coming back?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
They had a show scheduled with Rob Schneider last Sunday but he cancelled at the last minute. Not sure why.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

tnimark posted:

They had a show scheduled with Rob Schneider last Sunday but he cancelled at the last minute. Not sure why.

Oh no that's a shame. :geno:

I wish Professional DM were an occupation so that Spencer from Harmontown could get some sweet work based on his appearances.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The newest Harmontown (Turtle Panties) has Eric Idle singing about loving Dan's mother, Patton Oswalt laughing at Dan and Jeff for how poorly thought out their tour is and telling them they're probably going to die, and Ryan Stiles being utterly baffled by D&D (that last part isn't as exciting). I don't really talk about Harmontown much here because I figure most people have already decided what they think of Harmon based on Community and his various internet meltdowns, and have decided whether or not to listen to Harmontown based on that, but this is just about the best time to tell people that they really should be listening to this show. Every episode since Everybody's a Rapper! has been great (due in no small part to said rapping), and if Eric Idle and Patton Oswalt won't get people to listen to it I don't know what will.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^I've fallen a few eps behind on Harmontown now, thanks to the recent blitz, but this all sounds amazing.

Since nobody else has mentioned it yet here, Jeff Garlin has a podcast now on Earwolf, and the first ep is a live conversation with Larry David. Great start. It was obviously recorded some time ago (they reference Curb being midway through airing), so I dunno if it's a live show he does regularly and has backlogs of, or will turn into a studio show, or what, but it's worth looking up for the pilot alone.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The latest Thrilling Adventure Hour, which is about Colonel Tick-tock, starts with a message to new listeners begging them to listen to a Beyond Belief episode instead.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
To be fair, Beyond Belief is their best series. :colbert:

There must be some sort of setting in iTunes that allows more than 100 episodes since there are several podcasts that have more than 100 episode, most of the Earwolf podcasts, for example. Which is another thing he complains about, and aren't they in the Nerdist network? Doesn't that one have more than 100 episodes?

Dick Holden
Jul 18, 2003

Purple!
I've sampled all the different Thrilling Adventure Hour series and the only ones I consistently go back to are Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada. Do any of the other series get better over time or is it just a matter of taste?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I would subscribe to a podcast that was just the Sparks Nevada theme every week. That song is stuck in my head constantly and that's a good thing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Dick Holden posted:

I've sampled all the different Thrilling Adventure Hour series and the only ones I consistently go back to are Beyond Belief and Sparks Nevada. Do any of the other series get better over time or is it just a matter of taste?

It's just a matter of taste I think. TAH sounds like a great idea to me but I only really listen to Beyond Belief. The other shows I just can't get into. Maybe if I saw them live I'd like them more.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Dick Holden posted:

I really like Moonshine Holler personally. Those two are the best though.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005
Harmontown live show recap: Someone brought them a jar of moonshine (actually just white corn whiskey in a jar from a liquor store) and Dan got drunk as fuuuuuck.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like Captain Laserbeam although I can understand it being stale to some people, since it keeps repeating the same structure/setup. I personally think that's part of the charm, even the endlessly repeated "one hundred lasers" joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I think the structure for Captain Laserbeam was decided after they wrote this following joke:
"I don't know what we'll do without you!"
"Well, you'll never find that out! Not while I'm around."
With something that good, it'd be a shame to only use it once.

• Locked thread