Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Well, it took me 6 months but I'm finally done with the main series. As a result, I feel that I'm pretty much ruined on anime and space opera for the rest of my life. I mean, I've read a shitton of sci-fi novels over the years, but this series hands down is in the top 3 I've ever experienced in any medium. Given the current state of things, I don't see another series surpassing it anytime soon.

Now to start on the prequels so I can stave off the feeling of having lost a dear friend for a little while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I think most people feel the same way when they finish.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Ruining Other Animes Since 1988.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Rime posted:

Now to start on the prequels so I can stave off the feeling of having lost a dear friend for a little while longer.

In my experience, showing it to other people is also effective. It's kinda like The Ring.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Rime posted:

Well, it took me 6 months but I'm finally done with the main series. As a result, I feel that I'm pretty much ruined on anime and space opera for the rest of my life. I mean, I've read a shitton of sci-fi novels over the years, but this series hands down is in the top 3 I've ever experienced in any medium. Given the current state of things, I don't see another series surpassing it anytime soon.

The OVAs are a bit like seeing a dear friend on a life support system. Its just not the same, and at times actually infuriating.

Also Golden wings is bad.

The other two films are pretty good actually!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm just rewatching this now, and I want to know what idiot granted Laap the approval to set up Phezzan as a mostly-independant nation-state with the power to forbid Imperial passage through the Corridor.
What the hell kind of leverage did he HAVE on them!?

Money can get you a lot, and duck monster has a good point about there being no shortage of Imperial scandal to exploit. Me, I'd wonder if there was an Imperial budget crunch at some point, Laap basically said "I'll give you the money, but only on my terms," and someone said "sure, what's the worst that could happen, this war will be over soon enough anyway right?? :haw: "

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I just started this series after seeing this forum rave about it. I'm not much into Anime in general though do enjoy certain movies and series here and there, but I'm really enjoying myself thus far. As a fan of classical music, I'm blown away by the score and how appropriate it fits the Napoleonic theme the show goes for. I've only watched the two opening movies and I'm now moving onto the main series now.

What I'm having trouble wrapping my head around is why the Space ships just shatter and fall apart upon being hit. I know I've seen this as an particularity of anime before but it always strikes me as odd. Why build Battleships if they crumble so fast? I'm no expert mind you but I understood that Napoleonic naval warfare as being something of a slugging match, though with great emphasis on formations and positioning. If the warfare is more themed on the ground war, with regiments walking forward and firing at close range, why take the time/energy to develop other variations of ships like the Carrier craft, etc. In fact, wouldn't this level of lethality beg for smaller ships with smaller crews to reduce causalities as it does not seem like the larger vessels are at an advantage. While I understand this show is not realistic by any means, I'm curious. If this is a particularity of anime, I'd love some insight into it.

If this got discussed somewhere in the thread, I apologize. I started to read though it but did not want the show to be spoiled.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 30, 2012

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
edit- whoops, wrong thread, sorry!

Edit 2- okay content since I accidentally made a post anyway- I don't remember the classes or sizes of the military ships in the series ever being embellished upon in the main series. I think there was one episode where Julian was piloting a little fighter and it was mentioned shot down 2 carriers or something, but I don't recall anything beyond that aside from the obvious big ship vs. fighter-sized ship. Oh, and the one time Reindhart used engineer-class ships to shoot ~alpha particles~ at that pearl defense system. I suppose it doesn't matter too much since most of the admirals didn't give them specific orders most of the time anyway.

What made me want to know more about the ships was sometime during season 3 Attenborough captains/commands from a ship with an array of lasers on the front that none of the other ships seem to have.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 30, 2012

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's the guns. A little before the series starts all the smaller ships used a less powerful cannon type, later the smaller ships were refitted with the stronger type when the tech minimized enough. The cannons themselves are the size they are because the massive distances in effect where the battles take place.

LoGH ships are the size they are to hold the cannons they use and they don't bother armoring them too much since it'd cost too much. If you take a hit that doesn't glance off your shields (you see this happen in a few episodes there's two layers one for weaker laser fire and one for the stronger beams from other ships) the cannons will punch through anything you can afford to slap on. Phisical armor mostly debris, missiles and fighters. Unless it's an admiral's flagship which can take a few shots before going down but they're usually at lest twice the size of normal battleships, cruisers, gunboats and destroyers. The exception being the experimental imperial ships that started to come out like Brunhild (which was built ignoring production costs) and Perceval which were new designs made to take cannon fire head on and survive through deflection. Showing that technology and design was catching up with the fire power ships were bringing to bear.

Also the ships already minimize their profile by having all cannons in the front. Showing your broadside in LoGH is really dangerous.

Long story short. They can't make the ships any smaller.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Ships do have defensive shields, it's just that they usually only show you the killing blows, and they have big ships so they can put big guns on them, that they may engage the enemy at longer ranges. Carriers/fighters are a complementary force, mainly for countering each other but also punishing the enemy for not having them, but a purely carrier force would get decimated from long range fire and their fighters would eventually run out of ammo and fuel without motherships to return to.

So, fighters take more of the role of skirmishers. There's probably also some other "logical" considerations into ship sizes, such as ruggedness, independent deployment ability (since each ship is basically it's own world even as part of a huge fleet), force projection etc.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Manyorcas posted:

Oh, and the one time Reindhart used engineer-class ships to shoot ~alpha particles~ at that pearl defense system.

That was ~KIRCHEIS-KUN~, it's his character development episode too! He's not just reinhard's lap dog he's just as smart as him!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't know how the ship combat is described in the books, but I'm guessing they made the ships explode because it was easier to animate big balls of fire than giving them detailed, realistic damage modeling. Also, having scenes with mobile ships would be costly to animate, too. That's probably why the fighter ship battles later on kind of seem like set-pieces. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

God I miss being able to look forward to watching this series.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Guyver posted:

Also the ships already minimize their profile by having all cannons in the front. Showing your broadside in LoGH is really dangerous.

Long story short. They can't make the ships any smaller.

Thanks for the responses everyone! This comment actually made it click with me. I remembered one particular admiral, Erlache I believe, trying to swing his ship around to engage in the second movie, showing his broadside and getting destroyed in result. The weapons in the front to reduce the profile also makes good sense within this universe. There seems to be a lot of neat details I will enjoy finding.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the ground war and boarding actions will look like. I've only seen a handful of screenshots and the odd gif involving giant axes, so that will be definitely something.

I've only seen the two movies but the two commanders, Yang and Reinhard, are already extremely interesting and enjoyable to watch. I got a feeling this will be a real treat.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Crazy Ferret posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone! This comment actually made it click with me. I remembered one particular admiral, Erlache I believe, trying to swing his ship around to engage in the second movie, showing his broadside and getting destroyed in result. The weapons in the front to reduce the profile also makes good sense within this universe. There seems to be a lot of neat details I will enjoy finding.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the ground war and boarding actions will look like. I've only seen a handful of screenshots and the odd gif involving giant axes, so that will be definitely something.

I've only seen the two movies but the two commanders, Yang and Reinhard, are already extremely interesting and enjoyable to watch. I got a feeling this will be a real treat.
Oh man you're going on a journey.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
How space patriotic are y'all?

:getin:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Oh noes. Now I have to rewatch the whole series to find that episode where they sing, to find the melody.

Oh what a terrible fate.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Draft me in, I have lost all excuses not to sing.

his kingly woes
Jan 5, 2011

Uznare posted:

If anyone ever wondered how LoGH would look in stage play form I just uploaded the first one to my youtube channel and it can be watched here

Space battles in dance number form are a sight to behold I tell you what.

Wow that was awesome, thank you. If you happen to find more please upload it!

his kingly woes fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 15, 2012

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
I just found a good 720p source for this so I'm (slowly) starting to rewatch it. I'm only on episode 5, and I'm hooked again. I'm not big into anime at all, but everyone needs to give LoGH a go.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
How do they look? Central Anime has said that any HD versions will just be upscales from the same sources the DVDs came from, so any visual improvements would be minimal at best. I see that CA has all the gaidens out at 720p but nothing for the main series.

\/\/\/ Indeed I was :shobon: Still seeing mixed reviews and people bickering about 10bit dithering and poorly-integrated 3D animation replacing dirty film cells or somesuch thing. As I've already got cleaned-up(?) DVD versions from CA this probably isn't worth replacing the whole series. I'll just wait until they go back and rescan all the original cells at proper HD resolutions and release it all with accurate English subs for a couple hundred bucks, yeah that's the ticket :japan:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 12, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

You are Loooking In the Wrong Place: http://bakabt.me/163344-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-ginga-eiyuu-densetsu-bd-h264-720p-10bit-aac.html

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So I'm almost finished watching LOGH Gaiden and realized that I was watching the Gaiden and not the original OVA...

Did I just ruin/spoiler a bunch of the story?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So I'm almost finished watching LOGH Gaiden and realized that I was watching the Gaiden and not the original OVA...

Did I just ruin/spoiler a bunch of the story?
I think Yang's half has some backstory that only shows up pretty late into the series as flashbacks. But I don't recall any actual spoilers. Except about who some of the major side characters are. But the intro and extro sequences spoil that just as much.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just started watching Spiral Labyrinth (after watching the main series) and am quite enjoying it, although the animation doesn't seem to be as high quality somehow. Am I right in thinking than Schenkoff appears in the Gaiden at some point?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Not that LoGH ever had particularly high quality animation, but there's something nicer about the hand animation of the main series compared to those (very digital and cheaper looking) Side Stories.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

DamnGlitch posted:

Not that LoGH ever had particularly high quality animation, but there's something nicer about the hand animation of the main series compared to those (very digital and cheaper looking) Side Stories.
Yeah, the digital stuff looks harsh in comparison - the early era computer assisted animation was absolute turd. It's true that the animation in the main series wasn't incredible, but it had a style that I grew to love.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah once they cleaned up the robo walking from like the first episode, it was pretty much smooth sailing even with limited animation, with some impressive stuff here and there as they needed. But the feel of the designs were very solid. There's something kind of soft and artificial feeling about the OVAs, which is probably why I never really connected with them.

Plus 'the adventures of Reinhard and Kirchies' should be way way more interesting than it turned out to be.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

So are Reinhard and Kircheis supposed to be... more than just friends? Kept getting that vibe throughout the Gaiden series.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So are Reinhard and Kircheis supposed to be... more than just friends? Kept getting that vibe throughout the Gaiden series.

Nope. According to the author they're just Mega Bros.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Remember this is an old style story. For example in RTK you have the three sworn brothers sharing a bed and it is only meant to demonstrate their friendship.
These days people would find all sorts of overtones in that kind of thing, and they left a lot of that stuff out in the movies. Or most other adaptions.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

Mega Bros.

Space Bros.

But really, LoGH embodies a very old tradition of navel / military homoeroticism (which is not to be confused with homosexuality). Very literally extremely close, straight bros.

tonberrytoby posted:

Remember this is an old style story. For example in RTK you have the three sworn brothers sharing a bed and it is only meant to demonstrate their friendship.
These days people would find all sorts of overtones in that kind of thing, and they left a lot of that stuff out in the movies. Or most other adaptions.

Precisely. Moby dick is a good example of it as well. Bros sharing beds and it doesn't imply (and isn't meant to imply) homosexuality, just close male bonding.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well bear in mind the whole "Gay Panic" thing didn't pop up until Victorian times. Before then dudes were going around arm in arm and other such things without it being a todo. Suddenly there's some expose that dudes are hookin up in England and all dudes got afraid of being taken as gay, so the stoic distance began.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Here are some examples of male affection from America.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Personal space is a very trendy social construct. Wasn't in the middle ages common for servants to sleep in the rooms of their masters (as in, all bunched up in a corner in case they wanted anything)? Either way, in modern times physical closeness has been so intertwined with sexuality that people can't help but make the association, regardless of it being gay or straight. Maybe it's related to the "distance" being created by modern standards of living? People driven close together by necessity or convenience tend to stop minding, regardless of broader cultural notions.

I forgot where I was going. Ah, right, yeah, no, people being close doesn't imply sexuality, specially in military settings, where close male bonding is par for the course. If anything, it tends to be toned-down/romanticized for media unless the goal is to be "gritty", but given the influences LoGH takes from it seems pretty straight up as it's dealing with nobles and gentlemen soldiers tropes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Officer Sandvich posted:

Here are some examples of male affection from America.

That's a really interesting article and those photos are fantastic. Thanks for linking it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Finally finished watching every episode with my goon friend Hobbitgrease after three years. I wonder if anime will ever top it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

None yet.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I just finished season three and episode 84 or so was :smith:

I felt that was coming but I was really hoping it was a dream sequence.

I still can't believe they killed Yang.

Oh hail! Liberty bell! :japan:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Season 3 is the reason that to this day I refuse to watch the next episode previews for any anime. Never again..... :smith:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Season 3 is the reason that to this day I refuse to watch the next episode previews for any anime. Never again..... :smith:

I need to stop watching those stupid previews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I'm so glad I never have and never will watch episode previews.