Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

You never meet many Mephibosheths.

Only one in the Social Security death index, which is a gold min for verifying strange names and name combinations.

Mephibosheth I. Boruchschomer d. 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Black
Dec 5, 2012

I have two customers named Chipper and Sunshine that I help out at work every once in a while. Oddly enough their names reflect their personalities.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
My friend just posted this on facebook:

"Today, I taught a student named Mafia."

Welp.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Today, I learned that there is a tech at my local pharmacy named Porsche.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a friend named Angel and while I think it's the tackiest fuckin name, tons of people swoon over it and how it's 'beautiful'

My dad worked with a dude named Angel but he was Mexican so it really didn't seem all that weird. But my friend is as white and midwestern as you can get. And her family isn't all that religious

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Today, I learned that there is a tech at my local pharmacy named Porsche.

I'm an acquaintance with a Porshah.

ms_hyena
Oct 10, 2012
Amor de Cosmos (born William Alexander Smith), second Premier of Canada British Columbia from 1872-1874, twenty years after changing to his name to (incorrectly) mean "Lover of the Universe".

Wikipedia posted:

Contemporaries paint a portrait of an isolated person (he never married and had few intimate friends) with grandiose manners, prone to public outbursts of tears, and a fierce temper that sometimes degenerated into fist-fights.

Edit for :canada: history.

ms_hyena has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Jan 10, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

jojoinnit posted:

I'm an acquaintance with a Porshah.

I had a college classmate whose parents named all their kids after Shakespeare characters, and her name was Portia. She actually had people tell her that her parents spelled her name wrong and it should be spelled Porsche :psyduck:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
My best friend got a (horrendously ugly) Christmas card from a Mormon branch of his family. Each kid in the family (5 in all) had a little poem written about them, really normal stuff about how the boys are doing karate and the girls are in dance and gymnastics... Until it gets to the last girl. Her name is "Jainii". The other kids are mostly normal, sort of -- Lexis, Landon, Jayden. Super trendy. But Jainii? That's not even a misspelled name! The closest thing is "Janie" which is sort of a pet name for "Jane". Also, her poem was about how much boys like her and how she loves makeup, and contained the line "she's daddy's favorite and everyone knows it ;)" winky face and all. Jainii is six. :psyduck:

Also I sold a horse to a woman named Wyndi Mills (first name legally changed), and her daughter Tennessee Mills (born that way).

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

InEscape posted:

My best friend got a (horrendously ugly) Christmas card from a Mormon branch of his family. Each kid in the family (5 in all) had a little poem written about them, really normal stuff about how the boys are doing karate and the girls are in dance and gymnastics... Until it gets to the last girl. Her name is "Jainii". The other kids are mostly normal, sort of -- Lexis, Landon, Jayden. Super trendy. But Jainii? That's not even a misspelled name! The closest thing is "Janie" which is sort of a pet name for "Jane". Also, her poem was about how much boys like her and how she loves makeup, and contained the line "she's daddy's favorite and everyone knows it ;)" winky face and all. Jainii is six. :psyduck:

Also I sold a horse to a woman named Wyndi Mills (first name legally changed), and her daughter Tennessee Mills (born that way).

The site Utah Baby Names explores the horrors of Mormon babynamery.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

ms_hyena posted:

Amor de Cosmos (born William Alexander Smith), second Premier of Canada from 1872-1874, twenty years after changing to his name to (incorrectly) mean "Lover of the Universe".

Pssst...I think you mean Premier of British Columbia. Also, our pal Amor and I share an alma mater, which is pretty cool. While attending that university, I worked with a fella named Justis, and one the people in my first-year tutorial was a girl named Elizabeth, except she shortened it to Beckie.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

bringmyfishback posted:

I really wouldn't trust anything posted on Freep to have any accuracy at all ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously I haven't encountered these firsthand, but the Puritans had some funny names. For a long time, my favourite was "Search-the-Scriptures", but now I think it's "If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Metal Loaf posted:

Obviously I haven't encountered these firsthand, but the Puritans had some funny names. For a long time, my favourite was "Search-the-Scriptures", but now I think it's "If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned".

"Fly-Fornication".

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

InEscape posted:

Did she also have a child called "Dark Satanic"?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Leah D. Rimmer.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I found this. No wonder the Puritans were such dicks:

Abstinence

Handmaid

Lamentation

Wrestling

Job-raked-out-of-the-ashes

Sorry-for-sin

That "If-Christ-had- not-died-for- thee-thou-hadst- been-damned" guy was also known as "Damned" Barebone, according to the site.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
My friend is getting induced this weekend, and I have tried for months to talk her out of naming her new boy Raelin. I think that's how its spelled, its from some chick fantasy/softcore novel I guess. Not that a fantasy name is inherently bad, but specifically because "you know his friends are just gonna end up calling him Ray, right?" "WHAT? I hate the name Ray, I will make sure no one calls him that, its terrible."
Why would you name him something where the first syllable is Ray, then? Ugh.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Quad posted:

My friend is getting induced this weekend, and I have tried for months to talk her out of naming her new boy Raelin. I think that's how its spelled, its from some chick fantasy/softcore novel I guess. Not that a fantasy name is inherently bad, but specifically because "you know his friends are just gonna end up calling him Ray, right?" "WHAT? I hate the name Ray, I will make sure no one calls him that, its terrible."
Everyone who hasn't read whatever it is is going to assume he's a girl as well. If that would bother her.

Sure it's not Raistlin?

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Everyone who hasn't read whatever it is is going to assume he's a girl as well. If that would bother her.

Sure it's not Raistlin?

Absolutely, she hates Dragonlance. I also have brought up that it sounds short for Rachel Lynn, but "well obviously no one will mistake him for a girl!" No, but they'll sure make fun of him for it. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I find it hilarious that any parent thinks they have any influence on what their child's friends will call him or what he'll want to be called. Plus the fact that if she insists he not be called Ray, when he hits his first rebellious phase that's what he'll insist on.

Hopefully she'll learn to pick her battles as he gets older, or else both she and her son are going to be absolutely miserable his whole life.

Oh, who am I kidding, she sounds insufferable.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.
There's a guy who currently lives in my city whose legal name is David Supernigger. He's white as the driven snow and I'm not sure how it's legal to have a racial slur in your name, but welp. He has some kind of political philosophy that "friend of the family means human" and shouldn't be considered offensive or racially charged. He's apparently lived all over the U.S. and frequently changes his name. See this court notice from New Mexico: http://alibi.com/index.php?scn=classy&ad=222595&category=1000

quote:

Second Judicial District Court County of Bernalillo State of New Mexico Case No. CV 201105486 in the matter a petition for change of name in accordance with provision of NMSA 1978 Sec. 40-8-1 thrugh 40-8-3, Mister(I) Radical gently caress Censorship Supernigger friend of the family will apply to Honorable Judge Nash, District Judge of the Second Judicial District, Bernalillo County, New Mexico at 10:15 am on the 7th day of July, 2011 for an ORDER FOR CHANGE OF NAME from Mister(I) Radical gently caress Censorship Supernigger friend of the family to David friend of the family means human Supernigger. Juanita Duran, Clerk District Court.

He has a youtube channel full of insane stuff and he also has several facial tattoos. I saw him working behind the counter at a Goodwill a few months ago and he had on a handwritten nametag with his full legal name on it. Not sure how he wasn't fired for that.

As far as people's birth names, I also know of a family whose children are named Heaven Earth (first and last name) and Seven. I guess I can understand Heaven Earth in a stupid cutesy way, but Seven? Who names their child after a number? He's not old enough to go to school yet, but I wonder what his teachers and classmates are doing to think about that.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

squeegee posted:

As far as people's birth names, I also know of a family whose children are named Heaven Earth (first and last name) and Seven. I guess I can understand Heaven Earth in a stupid cutesy way, but Seven? Who names their child after a number? He's not old enough to go to school yet, but I wonder what his teachers and classmates are doing to think about that.

They're either Seinfeld fans or just dumb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Quad posted:

They could always call him by that equally masculine other shortening of his name, Lin!

The man is due for a life full of double takes during roll call.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

squeegee posted:

Seven makes sense, I guess. Seven periods of school, seven beatings a day, roughly seven stitches a beating, and eventually seven years to life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NewtGoongrich posted:

Leah D. Rimmer.

No relation to Arnold.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

RazorBunny posted:

I find it hilarious that any parent thinks they have any influence on what their child's friends will call him or what he'll want to be called. Plus the fact that if she insists he not be called Ray, when he hits his first rebellious phase that's what he'll insist on.

Yeah, parents get absolutely zero say. My mom was super excited that she'd picked a name for me that would be hard to make terrible nicknames out of - Audrey. The very first day my parents brought me to church, the youth minister came up and immediately waggled his fingers and said "How's the little Aud-bod?" My mom was horrified. Thankfully, no one else has ever attempted to call me this in any seriousness.

Please tell your friend this story, Quad.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That poor kid is gonna legally change his name to Ray the instant he's old enough.

ms_hyena
Oct 10, 2012
Just saw the name for a client today...Raelynn. It was really hard not to laugh a little.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

ButWhatIf posted:

Yeah, parents get absolutely zero say. My mom was super excited that she'd picked a name for me that would be hard to make terrible nicknames out of - Audrey. The very first day my parents brought me to church, the youth minister came up and immediately waggled his fingers and said "How's the little Aud-bod?" My mom was horrified. Thankfully, no one else has ever attempted to call me this in any seriousness.

Please tell your friend this story, Quad.

And how many times did the youth minister touch you? What a weird and creepy nickname. At least he didn't think you were a carnivorous space plant, I guess.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I guess it's Raylan, actually, from some cowboy TV show. Makes it slightly better, but still, gently caress. :( Least its not my kid.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I heard about a couple who named their son 'Phury'--pronounced 'Fury', of course. Apparently that poor boy is named for paranormal-romance character.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Some idiot parents named their unfortunate child Dovahkiin to win a free copy of Skyrim last year.

You can't even make a good nickname out of that. Poor kid.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You can't even make a good nickname out of that. Poor kid.
Dov. It'll sound Israeli, and I actually like that one.

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

The names and article are great but holy crap stay outta the comments. They start out great, with more names and the like, but there's a huge derail between a few members and it's a trainwreck.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Seth

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Once had a job doing some boring data entry/filing type work, where the only entertainment was gawking at people's weird names and info. The highlight was a guy named Lancelot Payne, which sounds like a knockoff JRPG character, and looked like the kind of moustached pony-tail-wearer that probably really enjoys his video game name.

Weirdly, when I told someone about it years later, I found out that a bunch of old friends actually know the guy and we've just never met...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

AFewBricksShy posted:

I knew a Melody and her sister Harmony growing up. They were nice names (and nice people) but someone was certainly a music lover.

This is way late, but I once worked for a woman named Melody who named her daughter Harmony. It's a little daft as a sibling-name thing, but as a generational thing, it verges on the cruel.

On the subject of dubious generational name choices, a kid I knew in elementary school was named Johnny Johnson Jr. It's not as bad as some names people pass on, but... seriously, Johnny Johnson? You had to keep this going?