Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
This is it. This is the mindfuck.

What the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Something is broken.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Uh. I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure as hell wasn't that. Where did the cherubs and horrorterrors even come from? I thought Jane might just be hallucinating, but Caliborn and Gamzee can apparently see all this too so that's not on the table. :psyduck:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh gently caress. Can we load the game from a previous save point?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just realized another thing. Trickster Mode turned the act curtain violet. We've now seen curtains in red, blue, green, and violet, a quartet of colors that should seem familiar.

The fact that the curtains themselves changed colors suggests we're looking into an entirely new universe, as well.

Edit: HAA HAA HEE HEE HOO HOO

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 11, 2013

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Roger Explosion posted:

Oh gently caress. Can we load the game from a previous save point?

Sorry, bro. You checked hardcore mode.

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
How long before Jane runs into Yaldabaoth or Lord English and corrupts them into Zillyhoo?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Ok so this is just a theory but I'm thinking that the juju's don't put someone in trickster mode necessarily, but instead maybe grant subconscious wishes (with a twist?) and/or grant the power to make one's wishes come true. When the two halves united that twisty snake thing from thing from the Neverending story (never seen it) showed up and it grants wishes right? So what might Jane be wishing for? To be happy- and now she is, and she's making everything else happy too.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Kazoo's are such a great musical instrument.

And I just rechecked the flash and I must have missed the instructions at the bottom because things now make far more sense, which is to say things now almost make a tiny bit of sense. Jane now turns Horror Terrors into Squiddles, Earth Cherubs into that rare grist and Cherub Cherubs into Lil' Cals. I take from this that Lil' Cal seems to be what Caliborn would look like in Trickster Mode.

No wonder Caliborn loves him so much.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is incredibly zilly.

Also, Caliborn's pose here echoes Karkat becoming all :s: with John and Vriska becoming all :h: with Nick Cage. Caliborn is now smitten with Jane, in a new type of glitched romance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am on my knees, in a field, under heavy rain, fists hanging limp at my sides, screaming into the abyssal heavens.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Who would have thought an update like this would be the full explanation for how Caliborn becomes Lord English? drat!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oxxidation posted:

I am on my knees, in a field, under heavy rain, fists hanging limp at my sides, screaming into the abyssal heavens.

In all the excitement I almost forgot about A6A5A2. Welcome to hell! :shepicide:

e/ For some reason I am absolutely positive it is Bowman spazzing out into a kazoo in this flash.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 11, 2013

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

In all the excitement I almost forgot about A6A5A2. Welcome to hell! :shepicide:

Don't worry, I'm sure it's just going to be an act explaining what the gently caress just happened. That or another one panel act and we'll remain just as confused as before.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiHJ0EdVY4o

Fuckin' Toons

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I love this comic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ah FINALLY some Zillyhoo backstory it's about goddamn time.

I have a feeling that this describes where Jane is now: "There she is. Forged in fire by the smiths of Pipplemop, commissioned by the sage Lord of the Wozzinjay Fiefdom in the Realm of the Snargly Fruzmigbubbins."

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Are those background elements reused from problem sleuth's epilogue?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm trying to figure out how this all fits with established reality.

- Same pink cherubs as when John got the Zillyhoo hammer. Gamzee liked using that hammer, but hates this?
- Cherubs confirmed for having wings. Might be a clue Lord English isn't god-tier, since he doesn't have them?
- I have no loving clue.

Akett posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure it's just going to be an act explaining what the gently caress just happened. That or another one panel act and we'll remain just as confused as before.

I think he meant more how the subacts are roughly paralleling the original acts, and the first Act 5 Act 2 was where we got Horrorstuck and all four kids dying.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Jesus Christ, we're on a candy-coated wonder ride all the way to hell aren't we? :stare:

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
I wonder, wheter we're going to have this background for just this flash, for a portion of this act, or for the entire rest of the act.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Anyone play Pokémon Red and Blue way back when? Remember the Missingno glitch? When you turned it on, it made chunks of the game into a surreal nightmare but gave you infinite items.

Remember the power-up everyone always duplicated, because it let you boost your characters up a level for free, so you could push a character all the way to level 100 instantly:

Rare candy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It is like all of my dreams are coming true at once :allears:

All of my fever dreams, that is.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Gamzee liked using that hammer, but hates this?

This is an interesting point. Gamzee had the Warhammer of Zillyhoo in his inventory in Act 5 Act 2, but we don't know how he got it (or his incredibly powerful Jokerkind specibus). To have alchemized it, he'd need one zillion units of Zillium, but as far as we've seen, Zillium can only be obtained using Trickster Mode, and he didn't seem to have known what was happening when he first saw Jane engage.

The presence of cherubs in this strange violet-curtained candy universe introduces the further, albeit remote, possibility that the Warhammer of Zillyhoo is a juju.

In fact we don't know the complete timelines of any of the rabbit's armaments. The Quills of Echidna, Royal Deringer, and Ahab's Crosshairs are easy enough to guess, as they were quite obviously found or created in B1, carried to B2, shrunken, and given to the rabbit for its journey back. The Warhammer of Zillyhoo, on the other hand, was not created in B1 at all. If it was forged in fire by the smiths of Pipplemop and commissioned by the sage Lord of the Wozzinjay Fiefdom in the Realm of the Snargly Fruzmigbubbins, then there's plenty of opportunity for it to somehow come to Gamzee's possession in A2, then back to B2 via the meteor, then shrunken down and sent to B1.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Yeah, I just finished a 100% accuracy run of this flash. Not a single missed lollipop swing. Pretty badass I know. :smug:

A bit disappointing that nothing unexpected happens if you just decline to kill(?) anything. The flash progresses at the same rate and everything, probably so the music still matches up. MY IMMERSION :qq:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

loquacius posted:

Yeah, I just finished a 100% accuracy run of this flash. Not a single missed lollipop swing. Pretty badass I know. :smug:

A bit disappointing that nothing unexpected happens if you just decline to kill(?) anything. The flash progresses at the same rate and everything, probably so the music still matches up. MY IMMERSION :qq:

I was trying to see what would happen if you hit only the red cherubs, because that seems like the sort of thing that'd hide an easter egg somehow, but my timing wasn't good enough and I got bored quickly.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The presence of cherubs in this strange violet-curtained candy universe introduces the further, albeit remote, possibility that the Warhammer of Zillyhoo is a juju.

If the Warhammer was a juju, I doubt John could have alchemised it at all. Or used it to make the Pop-a-matic Vrillyhoo Hammer.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He never alchemised Zillyhoo, it was given to him by the bunny.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

YggiDee posted:

He means that it was used in alchemy to create another weapon, and possibly destroyed in the process.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
So does this mean that Jane was the one that was/has been terrorizing the horrorterrors and why they called for help from Rose? Or is there something I'm not getting.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
What's that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dogbutt posted:

So does this mean that Jane was the one that was/has been terrorizing the horrorterrors and why they called for help from Rose? Or is there something I'm not getting.

Lord English remains the only character who has been directly witnessed harming horrorterrors; shards of broken spacetime spilled some of their blood when he exploded all those ghosts in [S] Caliborn: Enter, and while that may just have been collateral damage, he's nevertheless a danger to them. But there's a lot we still don't know about their predicament.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I have this nagging feeling that Homestuck just jumped the shark, because this is basically past my breaking point of stupid thing tolerance? I really loving hope Hussie is going somewhere with this.

Somewhere that is not here.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I dunno, from a narrative viewpoint it kinda makes sense - the kids are inside a video game, and jane just collected a powerup. Now she's going loving bananas with power, and we won't know what the full narrative ramifications are until she comes back down to normal and we find out what was really going on in the background.

The B1 kids are all crazy powerful with video game abilities thanks to their god tiering - I hope each of the B2 kids gets equally powerful through alternate paths to the top. Jane has become a trickster goddess due to mysterious cherub juju nonsense, and likewise caliborn has made a solemn boypledge to turn jake into a killing machine. roxy has the void ring which is pretty cool, but whatever the condense has planned for her may take her to even higher levels of power than that. and as for dirk, who knows?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Rooreelooo posted:

I dunno, from a narrative viewpoint it kinda makes sense - the kids are inside a video game, and jane just collected a powerup. Now she's going loving bananas with power, and we won't know what the full narrative ramifications are until she comes back down to normal and we find out what was really going on in the background.

The B1 kids are all crazy powerful with video game abilities thanks to their god tiering - I hope each of the B2 kids gets equally powerful through alternate paths to the top. Jane has become a trickster goddess due to mysterious cherub juju nonsense, and likewise caliborn has made a solemn boypledge to turn jake into a killing machine. roxy has the void ring which is pretty cool, but whatever the condense has planned for her may take her to even higher levels of power than that. and as for dirk, who knows?

Dirk doesn't need poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like trickster.php is going to be in use the whole rest of the comic, you could always just check back in after a week or whatever if it bothers you that much.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

It's not like trickster.php is going to be in use the whole rest of the comic, you could always just check back in after a week or whatever if it bothers you that much.

Or if Hussie's narrative style is consistent, the next couple of weeks will be centered around other characters and the trickster mode thing won't enter into the story again for awhile. Possibly when characters from a future POV start referencing it, or when some other story elements turn out to be explained by it. Or even better, when some established characters (say calliope or some of the dream bubble trolls) turn out to have known about it for awhile and had planned for it to show up.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, but it also says that it would cost ONE ZILLION zilliums to make were he so inclined. Also yeah about how he used it in alchemy.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I guess all i can do is trust in the Huss. I do think this is getting a bit silly, but i know he'll do something completely ridiculously cool with it somehow.

On the bright side, these are literally the best Homestuck things ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I think Trickster Mode is starting to fundamentally break the reality of the site. :ohdear: