Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Hey guys, sorry to interrupt namechat, but I'm breaking the chronology of my diary posts to post the greatest piece of art I have ever created:

Please feel free to draw fanart of this picture, tia

EDIT: new page, yesssss

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Devious Vacuum posted:

Thanks, I guess? Give me some names! What was your merman's name? Before I started writing diaries to Lestat I had an "OC" (as the kids say these days) that was the human high-school-aged clone of Stuart Townsend's Lestat. His name was Adrian Steel. He was this weird semi-boyfriend character of mine, but also just sort of a generic male character in my comics that were all about me and my female friends. We'll see some pictures of him once I have time to upload some photos of my old comics/fanart. I gotta go take more pics of those today, because tomorrow I head back home.

Haha I mean in a good way :) It was a really bring generic man's name: Micheal Kingston. Probably picked because it was an angel's name :angel: He also had a pet Kingler pokemon for some reason. Oh, and my sister also had this sailor moon tabletop roleplaying book where you could make you own characters by filling out a form. Naturally I filled out one for my merman, complete with the usual favorite foods/etc, blood type zero, and the zodiac sign of Tridentis, because pisces wasn't special enough for him. I actually found this and his 'sister's' form pages years ago when cleaning out my room. Sadly I threw it away, so no pictures.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

Captain Clown posted:

Oooh man. Reading this thread made me amazingly thankful that
a )I knew nobody like Denise
and
b) I didn't turn out like Denise.

I think that if I had internet access when I was around 12-14 years old and knew that there was such thing as fanfiction.net, things would've been a lot worse for me. I started out as a total anime/manga nerd. Thankfully my manga of choice was Rurouni Kenshin, which really isn't that bad as far as mangas go. It was just a straight-forward sorta historical action story with some subtle romance in the mix. I did have a ~major crush~ on the titular main character, though, and wrote fanfiction about him-- sometimes self-insert, too, of course-- all the time in my notebooks. I also made up a character who was a ~demon with long silver hair~ (Not related to the Rurouni Kenshin stuff of course; that dude was just a separate thing). What is it with anime nerds and dudes with long silver hair, anyway...? After awhile, I also became a music nerd, and I hit a humongous wall of panic/anxiety/depression when I was about 15 for a few reasons (one of which involving an emotionally abusive teacher; fun times). I felt really alone and isolated. It didn't help that I was already pretty drat awkward and shy to begin with, and lived in my own head all the time. I only bring up the music nerdery because I also had a huge crush on this guy from an old band and after awhile I was SURE that even though he was old, there would be someone who would either look exactly like him, or-- even more crazy-- there would be some magical way where I could go back in time and ~be with him~.

....Yeah.

I think the only thing that made everything better was the fact that I was still sane enough to not tell anybody any of this, because I knew it was crazy. Thankfully I am better now. I still have anxiety and depression but I have friends and I understand that celeb crushes are just that-- crushes. When I was a teen I didn't seem to grasp that concept for whatever reason.

tl;dr: I almost took the Denise road but thankfully because of lack-of-internet at the right time, therapy, and growing up, I never got that bad and I'm relatively a-ok now.

Please, tell us more about this teacher of yours.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I used to belong to something called the Obsessed Fangirls mailing list, back when e-groups was a thing. Most of the chicks on there were just girls who liked anime and gaming and wanted to talk about it with other lady types, but we had a few crazies.

This was more than ten years ago, so I don't really remember any stories, but one girls posted a message one day about how they'd been studying fetishes in her psychology class. They were told to write down all their fetishes and paraphilia (although I don't think she used that word) and share them with the rest of the class. This girl apparently delivered a list of some fifty fetishes, including wings, blue hair, fangs, cat ears, and other anime bullshit.

I doubt this story is true (what the hell kind of exercise would this be??) but she certainly seemed gleeful about it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In one of my classes that started this week we were supposed to introduce ourselves. Pretty standard stuff: your name, where you're from, what you are studying and something you are proud of. Someone announced "I named BOTH my children after Final Fantasy 7 characters!"

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moerketid posted:

To add to the stupid names, a former friend of my dad named his youngest son Zenith (Zen for short). He found it by picking up a random comic from his collection and flipping through it. :smith:

Zen is now 20, been in and out of prison since leaving school at 16, an alcoholic, has several kids to different girls, and posts conspiracy image macros on Facebook, using the word "Sheeple".

Edit: This is in Scotland btw, for anyone curious.
Zenith was a rock star from the 2000AD comic who had super-powers.

Incidentally, there is a 'PYF terrible names you've encountered' thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506614

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

In one of my classes that started this week we were supposed to introduce ourselves. Pretty standard stuff: your name, where you're from, what you are studying and something you are proud of. Someone announced "I named BOTH my children after Final Fantasy 7 characters!"

Dear god. Hope their names are Zack and Rufus, and not Bahamut and Bugenhagen.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

One of the names is almost certainly Sephiroth.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Hoping for "Tonberry" and "Butz". Or "Black Mage" and "Fighter". Fighter would be the coolest name when you're 8.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's obviously going to be Chocobo.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh, and my sister also had this sailor moon tabletop roleplaying book where you could make you own characters by filling out a form.

:spergin:It's called a character sheet.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Wedemeyer posted:

Haha I mean in a good way :) It was a really bring generic man's name: Micheal Kingston. Probably picked because it was an angel's name :angel: He also had a pet Kingler pokemon for some reason. Oh, and my sister also had this sailor moon tabletop roleplaying book where you could make you own characters by filling out a form. Naturally I filled out one for my merman, complete with the usual favorite foods/etc, blood type zero, and the zodiac sign of Tridentis, because pisces wasn't special enough for him. I actually found this and his 'sister's' form pages years ago when cleaning out my room. Sadly I threw it away, so no pictures.

Ha! I had this! My parents bought it for me for Christmas in 1998 or so; I don't think they knew what it was. I didn't have any friends who liked anime at the time and I wasn't into tabletop gaming, so I just leafed through it and designed a ridiculously overblown Mary Sue character with pink hair and ginormous boobies, then forgot about it.

I picked it up a few years ago when my parents were moving and had a good laugh.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

bringmyfishback posted:

Ha! I had this! My parents bought it for me for Christmas in 1998 or so; I don't think they knew what it was. I didn't have any friends who liked anime at the time and I wasn't into tabletop gaming, so I just leafed through it and designed a ridiculously overblown Mary Sue character with pink hair and ginormous boobies, then forgot about it.

I picked it up a few years ago when my parents were moving and had a good laugh.

I got one when I was 14, and filled it out with a character who was basically the Thief from The Thief and the Cobbler. I think I did it wrong.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I knew a guy called Zeus once. He was pretty cool: he was a massive Cure fan, to the point of having the spiky black Robert Smith haircut, and was also a really good artist (still lifes, not cartoons of ponies). There didn't seem to be anything off about him, he was just a bit shy and introverted. The only strange part was meeting a skinny white goth called loving Zeus.

Weird names don't always create mentally broken children. :unsmith:

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

I knew a guy called Zeus once. He was pretty cool: he was a massive Cure fan, to the point of having the spiky black Robert Smith haircut, and was also a really good artist (still lifes, not cartoons of ponies). There didn't seem to be anything off about him, he was just a bit shy and introverted. The only strange part was meeting a skinny white goth called loving Zeus.

Weird names don't always create mentally broken children. :unsmith:

Yeah, I know a totally awesome 9 year old named Arwen- her dad is just a big DnD and LotR nerd. He's a fully-functioning adult, with a professorship and everything, he just liked the name Arwen. My friend Ren is named after Kevin Bacon's character from Footloose.

Jury's still out on Ren.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Yeah, I know a totally awesome 9 year old named Arwen- her dad is just a big DnD and LotR nerd. He's a fully-functioning adult, with a professorship and everything, he just liked the name Arwen. My friend Ren is named after Kevin Bacon's character from Footloose.

Jury's still out on Ren.

Aside from the fact most kids with weird names turn out okay (not saying that naming your kid after a Final Fantasy character) I think it helps when it sounds like a real name. Like Ren, that is a real name.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Haymaker_Betty posted:

Jury's still out on Ren.
Is Ren the right age to have Ren and Stimpy jokes made at his expense throughout his entire childhood?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is Ren the right age to have Ren and Stimpy jokes made at his expense throughout his entire childhood?

Ren and Stimpy hasn't been on the air in years. If he was the right age he'd be in high school by now.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A part of me keeps wanting to name my eventual child Altair, after the star, but me and the wife are white as all hell and its now a VIDEO GAME NAME to boot, so I'll probably name him Steve or Cloud or something more normal.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My fiancé wants to name any boys we have Kaiden and Kail. Thankfully the first isn't because of the Mass Effect games.

I am not a fan but she refuses to compromise. I think ill just load him up with middle names like I have (3) and he can pick the one he likes.

If its a girl she is willing to discuss that one at least.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 10, 2013

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

He's 24, so yes, but when I asked him about that, he said no one ever made the connection.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My fiancé wants to name any boys we have Kaiden and Kail. Thankfully the first isn't because of the Mass Effect games.

I am not a fan but she refuses to compromise. I think ill just load him up with middle names like I have (3) and he can pick the one he likes.

If its a girl she is willing to discuss that one at least.

Don't name your kid Kail. Anything that sounds too much like a food is a nightmare of teasing, and with that spelling he'll be correcting people forever.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Eh, I say just name your kid whatever you want and they can decide how to deal with it. So many people these days don't actually go by their given name anyway. Neither my brother nor I go by our official birth names, and it's not even because we have a problem with our names; we just got used to using the nicknames we got when we were kids.

There's no way to predict how your kid will feel about their name anyway. For every Sephiroth who is shamefacedly going around as "Seth" there is a Katie who wants everyone to call her "Katniss." I don't want to be named anything blatantly nerdy or fannish, but I have a pretty common name and I always wish I had been named something more interesting and unusual. Everywhere I go there's always someone who has the same name as I do. In junior high, my best friend and I had the same name and in college I lived with two other girls at the same time who had the same name. I don't dislike my name or anything, but if I got to pick my own name, it's not really what I would pick and that's probably the case for a lot of people, if not most people.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
My middle name is Zebediah, and I would be lying if I hadn't thought of having people call me that instead of my first name.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lowly posted:

Eh, I say just name your kid whatever you want and they can decide how to deal with it. So many people these days don't actually go by their given name anyway. Neither my brother nor I go by our official birth names, and it's not even because we have a problem with our names; we just got used to using the nicknames we got when we were kids.

There's no way to predict how your kid will feel about their name anyway. For every Sephiroth who is shamefacedly going around as "Seth" there is a Katie who wants everyone to call her "Katniss." I don't want to be named anything blatantly nerdy or fannish, but I have a pretty common name and I always wish I had been named something more interesting and unusual. Everywhere I go there's always someone who has the same name as I do. In junior high, my best friend and I had the same name and in college I lived with two other girls at the same time who had the same name. I don't dislike my name or anything, but if I got to pick my own name, it's not really what I would pick and that's probably the case for a lot of people, if not most people.

On the other hand, if you give your kid a normal name that's just spelled really weird, you and/or your kid is guaranteed a trip to being a dipshit.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lowly posted:

I dunno, I think that if my parents had named me Butterfly Rainbow Peace or something, it would have sent me a pretty clear message that they cared more about projecting their weird hippie ideals onto me, than whether or not I wanted to grow up with a loving stupid name.

Plus little kids don't really have the authority to go by a different name. On the first day of school when the teacher calls attendance and introduces you as something really loving retarded, you are going to need some mad social skills to live that down.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

My fiancé wants to name any boys we have Kaiden and Kail.

I originally read this as "Kenan and Kel" and was totally on board.

James Trickington
Apr 23, 2008

Colon V posted:

I thought it was a typo. Boy, do I wish I still did.

Worst thing is that I understood "factive" instantaneously. I hate that so much.

These kinds of people are daring us to regret tolerance, as a concept.

bringmyfishback posted:

I originally read this as "Kenan and Kel" and was totally on board.

God yues. Excelsiortothemax, see where you can get with this.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I can't remember if I've mentioned this in this thread before, but there are either 2 or 3 different little boys named Raistlin in my town, or one kid who's done more than his share of ringbearer duties, because I've seen the name in three different wedding announcements.

I mean, I had a thing for Raistlin when I was 13, too, but I was thirteen.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

pookel posted:

I can't remember if I've mentioned this in this thread before, but there are either 2 or 3 different little boys named Raistlin in my town, or one kid who's done more than his share of ringbearer duties, because I've seen the name in three different wedding announcements.

I mean, I had a thing for Raistlin when I was 13, too, but I was thirteen.

Caramon maybe, since that's close to Cameron. Sturm as a lark, or maybe Tika or Kitara since they are both nice names for potential girls.

Never Tanis since it sounds like a combination of penis and taint.

Forget about Tasselhoff, no way that would fly. Flint would be too boring for her.

I wouldn't mind saddling the kid with Paladin, simply because it be a unique enough name and I can always go "Hey Pal what's up?" Until he grows to resent me forever.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I wouldn't mind saddling the kid with Paladin, simply because it be a unique enough name and I can always go "Hey Pal what's up?" Until he grows to resent me forever.

Everyone would just assume you're a WoW addict.

Also for a moment I thought I'd misclicked on the 'PYF terrible names' thread, and this probably goes there rather than here, but my best friend in elementary school was named Cinnamin [sic] Joy. Maybe her parents were astrally married to candy bars? :confuoot:

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

What happens when someone with an imaginary boyfriend has any kind of romance with a real-life boy?

Devious Vacuum, age 16 posted:

Oh, darling! Why would I think you'd be upset with me? Aren't you cute!!!

I love you so much, darling Lestat.

I had lots of fun with my friends at prom. I actually imagined I was dancing with you at some point, I don't remember when. It was loads of fun. So yes, I danced with a boy, but he's my bud and totally unreliable and so totally not competition. I was so worried! But here you are, cute as always. I adore you, darling. I really want to dance with you now. I don't know a lot of dances, which I already knew but learned again last night, but you can teach me. It's not like they're hard. I can dance modern, though. Ooh. That's right. Yeah.

Hahaha! Oh, I love you, darling!

(lower on the page there is an arrow)
MWAH! There's an invisible kiss here.

I had a few crushes and even a date or two in high school while I was under my Lestat obsession. I didn't like them as much as I liked Lestat, of course. Oh, God. Could you imagine? I'm so sorry to those guys. They didn't even know the full extent of how crazy I was. Of course, as you can imagine, they were crazy in their own ways, too.

I'm skipping ahead here because y'all don't wanna read a bunch of depressing repetitive nonsense. A lot of the entries took place while something story-worthy was happening, but the entry doesn't reflect that, so I can just tell some stories.

I literally got set up on a date with a boy I had a crush on in high school by some popular girls. Like they do in the movies. He was Cajun with somewhat feminine features, so I'm pretty sure I liked him because he looked like how I drew Lestat. This is the only logical explanation because he was kind of a tool in real life, but what oblivious high school boy isn't? Two popular girls found out I had a crush on him, invited me over to one of their houses and gave me a "makeover." We then all went out to eat lunch together, them and me and the guy, and they made sure that he and I were in a car by ourselves. It was super awkward and I don't remember much of our conversation except that he didn't think I knew that Chris Cornell was in both Soundgarden and then Audioslave, and this offended me.

The guy I danced with at prom was named Joey, and I had a crush on and also went on an awkward date with him, and considering who I have dated since then, he was actually one of the most decent guys I've ever had a crush on. He had pretty blue eyes like I imagined Lestat to have. We graduated from high school before anything really happened between us. He was definitely a "project" too, though. Do y'all think your fictional crushes as teens have affected your preferences in partners now? Maybe I just want something else to blame it on, but I think that Lestat is responsible for me ending up dating a lot of very pretty, selfish douchebags. Okay, maybe especially I am referring to my most recent ex, who was almost literally Lestat as I imagined him, but I will tell that story in the next entry.

I even found a corresponding piece of fanart I had saved! Yes, that is me. I don't wear glasses anymore, but this is pretty close to what I actually look like. My skin is OK, I'm a healthy weight, and I don't wear cat ears or anything.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I used to go to school with someone named Luke Sackrider.

Hilariousness of the last name aside, I can't help but feel they named him Luke because 'Sackrider' is suspiciously close to 'Skywalker'.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It looks like he's trying to decide whether or not to let go of your hand and let you fall.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Colon V posted:

It looks like he's trying to decide whether or not to let go of your hand and let you fall.

The sad reality of being poo poo at dancing. Since I drew it, does that mean I get to go back and declare this interpretation canon?

Luke Sackrider sounds like he belongs in Star Wars porn.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

cuntvalet posted:

I used to go to school with someone named Luke Sackrider.

Hilariousness of the last name aside, I can't help but feel they named him Luke because 'Sackrider' is suspiciously close to 'Skywalker'.

I know of a Mr. and Mrs. Walker that named their son Luke with the middle name Sky.

niveous
Oct 16, 2010

This is a few pages back but DrHerpington, if you see this I sent you a message because either I know this chick or I know her exact twin.

Anyway, I can share a story of one of my own. I was way into neopets when I was in fifth grade, and a girl, call her Jane, messaged me and we became fast friends. She introduced me to anime and manga, and thus I came to spend way too much money on $10 comic books when I was in sixth/seventh grade. Jane was nice enough, definitely had some issues - body issues, depression. She claimed to have a 'genius' IQ. She definitely didn't seem like it, but whatever. I was a super late bloomer and sixth grade was a pretty awkward time, since most of my friends were starting to hit puberty, getting crushes on guys*, and all of that stuff. I also had a really horrible bout of depression at the time, so it was nice to just have a close friend like Jane.

Jane got me into this one magical girl series (called Tokyo Mew Mew, kind of like Sailor Moon but with catgirls - not the sexy kind, it was really innocent, there wasn't even blood) and started claiming some of the male characters in it as "hers." Like, her boyfriends, her property, the ones who loved her. Later on she claimed to have written a G-rated anime sequel to a pornographic dating sim and she was going to fly out to Japan and be famous manga artist and blah blah. I believed her, because I was a dumb, lonely kid.

A few months later she said that when nobody else was home the characters from her favorite animes would come and hang out with her. And that she was going to get married to one, because he was her "lord" or "master." And she could hear them talking to her. She also met my catgirl alter ego (?) and would talk to me telepathically even though I didn't know I heard it. I was older by then (7th grade or so?) and also pretty freaked out. I called her out on all of her bullshit and we never really talked again, but she kept up her crazy stuff on her deviantart (posting drawings of 'kawaii' gay boy couples at her school and such) for a few years. Looking at her facebook she still seems to be really into anime, but she has a bunch of people she's cosplaying with. I'm glad she's got friends :unsmith:

If I remember anything specific and interesting about her I'll post it, but I don't think it's anything other than a testament as to how this is sort of common. She was just a sad kid who wanted to be special, and so was I, so I went along with it.

I also briefly had a furaffinity account, around the same time period. A (different) girl on deviantart told me to sign up, people pretended to be wolves or cats or whatever and roleplayed as them. I thought it sounded fun and hey, internet friends are almost as good as real-life friends!

I signed on and went to the place where she told me to go. It was a big wolf orgy. :gonk: I left and never, ever went back again.

*It didn't help that I turned out to be gay anyway so I only had these budding romantic feelings for girls, but overcompensated with some admittedly pretty rough obsession over some of my guy friends

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm named after Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes. It's the best named after a fictional character name ever. There's even an adorable picture of me as a newborn in the hospital with a stuffed tiger. :3: That being said my mom's a Trekkie, so I got off super lucky with that one.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Corridor posted:

But apparently no one cares about her, it's all about gay dudes being super gay.
fandom.txt

Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis you saved me yet again.
On the other hand, their writing had a bunch of, admittedly less creepy, issues. Weis seems to be a little bit too attached to that Mina chick (who's a huge Mary Sue), for starters.

Also finish the trilogy about Kang the Draconian, dammit :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*

niveous posted:

This is a few pages back but DrHerpington, if you see this I sent you a message because either I know this chick or I know her exact twin.

For anyone curious, I did get the PM and we both know Aurora. Weird times on SomethingAwful (same thing happened in the "My inlaws are crazy' thread).

• Locked thread