Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

david_a posted:

I don't really get this; isn't 40k all about massive interstellar warfare on a staggering scale? From what little I know about that universe it doesn't seem to have much in common with Judge Dredd... Do civilians even exist in 40k?
They do, but the novels and games devote scant attention to them. Every 40K novel is either about an Inquisitor, a Space Marine, or a guardsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

david_a posted:

I don't really get this; isn't 40k all about massive interstellar warfare on a staggering scale? From what little I know about that universe it doesn't seem to have much in common with Judge Dredd... Do civilians even exist in 40k?

Games Workshop also made the Block Wars board game, which was based on the Judge Dredd comics.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sorry if I'm remembering wrong, but I think I remember someone expressing hope that their inability to find a copy of the film implied that people were buying it. I've been to my local Best Buy the last few weeks, and its been like this for the whole time, maybe a month plus.

I haven't seen this big a stack of films since John Carter.

(I hope this isn't considered a threadshit; I was reminded of the thread when I was at the store.)

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 11, 2013

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It's possible that people have a hard time finding it because the stores just don't see the point of stocking it, for the same reason that none of the cinemas in my neighbourhood bothered to show it.

I think one of the reasons Dredd never got big is that their are no memorable lines or scenes that could make a good meme that people could talk about with their friends at parties or over the Internet. Inception generated plenty of memes - there was Zimmer's booming score, the spinning top, the dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream joke. The Dark Knight had Heath Ledger's brilliant catchprase: "why so serious?" and his makeup was a favorite during Halloween for several years, as well as other lines such as "you die a hero or live to become the villains" or "the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

What sticks out in your minds when you think about Dredd? I have the DVD and I've rewatched it several times, and I still can't pick out anything I could casually mention to a friend. I remember the Slo-Mo scenes and Anderson's psychic duel with Kay. Everything is too banal.

Do any characters stick out? Dredd is a banal tough guy. Ma-Ma is a banal tough chick. Anderson is the only character I liked, and I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff sequel starring her. But you do not have anyone with as powerful a presence as the hero or the villain from Django Unchained (a movie which had a lot more balls than Dredd).

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 11, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MisterBibs posted:

Sorry if I'm remembering wrong, but I think I remember someone expressing hope that their inability to find a copy of the film implied that people were buying it. I've been to my local Best Buy the last few weeks, and its been like this for the whole time, maybe a month plus.

(I hope this isn't considered a threadshit; I was reminded of the thread when I was at the store.)

So a movie that was just released this week has been like that for a month?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I can't get this until payday, which is next friday :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

blackguy32 posted:

I can't get this until payday, which is next friday :(

Your boss isn't the law, you are the law.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

So a movie that was just released this week has been like that for a month?

:shrug: I got nothing; I didn't know when it was released and its been there the last few times I've been in over the weeks. Maybe they had a pile of the Stallone movie (the obvious question being, WHY) they just replaced with the new one and I didn't notice.

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

Baron Bifford posted:

I think one of the reasons Dredd never got big is that their are no memorable lines or scenes that could make a good meme that people could talk about with their friends at parties or over the Internet.

Urban's "I am the law" was badass as hell, but people have been using that one to make fun of Sylvester Stallone for almost 20 years.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Things that are memorable to me are stuff like:

-the intro bike chase
-Your move hotshot
-the flare scene
-the gattling gun
-the kids
-the judges dueling

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Vintersorg posted:

Things that are memorable to me are stuff like:

-the intro bike chase
-Your move hotshot
-the flare scene
-the gattling gun
-the kids
-the judges dueling
The hotshot scene is kinda cool. Are people going to be talking about it ("man, you'll love Dredd, there's this scene where he melts the inside of someone's head!")? Everything else, though, is very banal. I've seen those things in dozens of other movies.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

MisterBibs posted:

:shrug: I got nothing; I didn't know when it was released and its been there the last few times I've been in over the weeks. Maybe they had a pile of the Stallone movie (the obvious question being, WHY) they just replaced with the new one and I didn't notice.

It came out January 8.

What kind of fuel do you use for your time machine?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This website lists the release date as Dec 28. Amazon.co.uk lists it as Jan 14.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That first site doesn't look like the most trustworthy, and different regions will have different releases a lot of the time. Best Buy is an American company though, so it doesn't matter when the movie came out for Russian pirates or in the UK. Here it came out this week. Unless he lives near a Best Buy with literally zero corporate overhead, they wouldn't have had them out earlier than Tuesday, either. You can be issued huge fines from the studios and MPAA for breaking street date. They also would not have left a movie as small as Dredd that was not selling out in huge stacks like that longer than a week, simply because shelf space is valuable and there are other films that would need it.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

I don't think they have Best Buy outside the US.

"Dredd 3D Wiki posted:

Dredd was released on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital Download on January 8, 2013. The Blu-ray edition contains the 2D and 3D versions of the film and a digital copy. The DVD and Blu-ray editions contain a motion comic version of the Dredd prequel comic and seven featurettes: "Mega-City Masters: 35 Years of Judge Dredd", "Day of Chaos: The Visual Effects of Dredd 3D", "Dredd"; "Dredd's Gear", "The 3rd Dimension" and "Welcome to Peachtrees".[85]

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Wazzit posted:

It came out January 8.

What kind of fuel do you use for your time machine?

At this point I'm convinced that its not only invisible, but it runs on my confusion. Christ, I only read this thread because I recalled walking past a Pile Of Dredd.

I feel like I'm in a lovely creepypasta.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 12, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Looks like they accidentally shipped all of my Best Buy's copies to yours. Dammit I would just buy it somehwere else but I have all these best buy gift cards I gotta burn through.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Just FYI there seems to be a pretty widespead manufacturing defect with the Dredd BRs. I exchanged two copies before I finally got one that worked.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's a loving dope version of the theme on the Blu Ray menu screen that is not on the Soundtrack. Kind of pisses me off that it's not on there. :(

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It might be counterproductive but it'd be cool if they could include the soundtrack on the BluRay/DVD so you could at least listen to the music.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I'm just thinking about special editions too much since I was ranting about game collectors editions, but they could have thrown a OST disc in (actually I guess that irrelevant since I already bought it) some digital downloads for some intro to 2000 AD paperbacks, and made the cover the cool movie poster instead of the lame and maybe given it a nice paper sleeve and i would have gladly thrown down an extra 10-15 bux for it. It would have cost them barely anything either. People should get more creative and take my money.

This movie would have been a great candidate for a collectors edition too since barely anyone cares about it, but the people that like it REALLY like it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

NESguerilla posted:

made the cover the cool movie poster instead of the lame

I was Googling 'dredd posters' to see what you were talking about, and holy poo poo I'd never seen this monstrosity before:

VV Haha yeah, I figured that was the one you were talking about. I was just shocked to see this third, horrible option.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 12, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh no the US version isn't that bad lol. Is just really boring. I liked this one much better than the one we got.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

It's possible that people have a hard time finding it because the stores just don't see the point of stocking it, for the same reason that none of the cinemas in my neighbourhood bothered to show it.

I think one of the reasons Dredd never got big is that their are no memorable lines or scenes that could make a good meme that people could talk about with their friends at parties or over the Internet. Inception generated plenty of memes - there was Zimmer's booming score, the spinning top, the dream-within-a-dream-within-a-dream joke. The Dark Knight had Heath Ledger's brilliant catchprase: "why so serious?" and his makeup was a favorite during Halloween for several years, as well as other lines such as "you die a hero or live to become the villains" or "the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

What sticks out in your minds when you think about Dredd? I have the DVD and I've rewatched it several times, and I still can't pick out anything I could casually mention to a friend. I remember the Slo-Mo scenes and Anderson's psychic duel with Kay. Everything is too banal.

Do any characters stick out? Dredd is a banal tough guy. Ma-Ma is a banal tough chick. Anderson is the only character I liked, and I wouldn't mind seeing a spinoff sequel starring her. But you do not have anyone with as powerful a presence as the hero or the villain from Django Unchained (a movie which had a lot more balls than Dredd).

Baron Bifford posted:

The hotshot scene is kinda cool. Are people going to be talking about it ("man, you'll love Dredd, there's this scene where he melts the inside of someone's head!")? Everything else, though, is very banal. I've seen those things in dozens of other movies.

Are you serious? The reason Dredd bombed at theaters was because of a lack of memes? I thought the movie had a lot of imaginative scenes and fresh takes on action tropes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Baron, you're beautiful, but this has to stop.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Are you serious? The reason Dredd bombed at theaters was because of a lack of memes? I thought the movie had a lot of imaginative scenes and fresh takes on action tropes.
It sounds stupid, but so much about the masses is stupid. Memes is just one of the many complicated factors that can determines a movie's success. When you have a meme that moviegoers can exchange, it sustains interest and awareness in a movie. Heck, some people will go to see the movie just to know what all the memes around it mean. I finally saw Inception a few months ago because I was sick of not getting all the something-within-a-something jokes.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
We all could have guessed this, but I've confirmed a bunch of beer and buds only enhances this movie :v:

e: As for 'memes', the below and also the hype its getting all over dork websites. The whole thing of becoming a meme.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 12, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Baron Bifford posted:

It sounds stupid, but so much about the masses is stupid. Memes is just one of the many complicated factors that can determines a movie's success. When you have a meme that moviegoers can exchange, it sustains interest and awareness in a movie. Heck, some people will go to see the movie just to know what all the memes around it mean. I finally saw Inception a few months ago because I was sick of not getting all the something-within-a-something jokes.

I am the law.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BulletRiddled posted:

"The mall food court will re-open in thirty minutes" is the best line of dialog from all of 2012.

I watched this again last night (my first Blu-Ray), and it's every bit as good as I remember it being in theatres. It could have easily slipped into being a mindless shooting gallery with its setting and premise, but every setpeice is just so distinct and memorable. I really think this one will still hold up 10 or 20 years from now.

And then seeing them load up the bodies on the meat wagon and mop up all the blood like it's perfectly normal.

After watching it again it really does capture the black humor and satirical elements of the original very well.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Just watched it and I guess was a little disappointed due to the amount of love it was getting from goons (but I guess I wouldn't even have seen it at all if not for that). It was alot more stylish than I expected, but I wish there was more of the '30 minutes till the food court reopens' type humor once they hit Peachtree. I suppose the vagrant getting smooshed because he didn't listen to Dredd made me laugh a little. Overall, the second half kind of dragged, which is weird considering how short the movie actually was. Had the same problem as something like Taken or the Bourne movies, in which our hero is established as invincible really early on, and it kind of sucks the life out of any of the following action sequences. The only sequence that had any 'impact,' so to speak, was the first encounter with the other judge.

Also why could Anderson read the female judge's mind through her helmet but couldn't read minds with a helmet on!? TECHNICAL REALISM PEOPLE.

Actually, a real question - the closing scenes show Anderson has actually become a judge, correct? She's walking through a motorpool with helmet in hand towards the bikes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She can still read minds if I remember right but the helmet just makes it more difficult.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

NESguerilla posted:

Oh no the US version isn't that bad lol. Is just really boring. I liked this one much better than the one we got.

The problem with this poster is that it depicts Dredd as left-handed, he's right-handed. :spergin:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The problem with this poster is that it depicts Dredd as left-handed, he's right-handed. :spergin:

The scales of justice are equally balanced, citizen.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

The scales of justice are equally balanced, citizen.

:golfclap:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If they photographed his right side, his badge wouldn't be visible in the shadows.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

wyoak posted:

Just watched it and I guess was a little disappointed due to the amount of love it was getting from goons (but I guess I wouldn't even have seen it at all if not for that). It was alot more stylish than I expected, but I wish there was more of the '30 minutes till the food court reopens' type humor once they hit Peachtree. I suppose the vagrant getting smooshed because he didn't listen to Dredd made me laugh a little. Overall, the second half kind of dragged, which is weird considering how short the movie actually was.
I felt the same thing (people are going to hate me for bringing this up again). The food court joke was really the only truly satirical moment in the film. Everything else is played pretty straight. There's a lot of extreme violence, but extreme violence is not satire.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 12, 2013

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
You know how in Star Wars, the expendable bad guys are all in uniforms with helmets to hide their identity? Remove their identity and they become hands of the antagonistic presence of the Empire. Dredd just makes one of those guys the main character and has him shoot the faces off anyone who opposes him. It's not satire though, apparently.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You're trying too hard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Baron Bifford posted:

You're trying too hard.

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandamyion
Oct 22, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

I felt the same thing (people are going to hate me for bringing this up again). The food court joke was really the only truly satirical moment in the film. Everything else is played pretty straight. There's a lot of extreme violence, but extreme violence is not satire.

In a slum block with 96% unemployment, the only Med-Center in the block, run by the Justice Department (the State) has a sign above the door reading "No Creds No Meds".

How is that not funny? Dredd's subtle satire at work :)

Its an amazing film and I love it! Took it's time but there it is. More please :)

• Locked thread