Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

K-10 has got to be the best poison in the game, one dose and stand well back then boom! 18 unavoidable stun damage and potentially a lot of enemies dead for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

K-10 has got to be the best poison in the game, one dose and stand well back then boom! 18 unavoidable stun damage and potentially a lot of enemies dead for you.

Have you seen the player-character adept build (I think posted in this thread) that attempts to use it? One of the best things I've ever seen.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Apologies for the slight derail, but search has completely failed me and this is the only other thread about FASA products so I figured I'd ask. Is there a thread for Earthdawn/Earthdawn-related questions? I had some decently specific mechanical questions I wanted to hash out, but I would feel sorta guilty just dumping them here.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
A rules question regarding magic: I couldn't find anything in the core book or Street Magic about whether a Magician can cast spells on himself or not. I'm the only magician in my party alongside an adept, a mystic adept and some riggers and a technomancer. Since I can't get cyberware and don't have the adept abilities to give myself extra buffs, I'm hoping that I can cast buffing spells on myself. Otherwise, I'll be giving my party extra initiative passes out the wazoo, then they'll get a few more from their own buffs and I'll be stuck throwing out a death touch once a turn.

On a related note, what sort of fun/powerful hijinks can a Magician get up to in Shadowrun?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
You can in fact cast on yourself.

Doodmons posted:

On a related note, what sort of fun/powerful hijinks can a Magician get up to in Shadowrun?

Oh man.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Doodmons posted:

A rules question regarding magic: I couldn't find anything in the core book or Street Magic about whether a Magician can cast spells on himself or not. I'm the only magician in my party alongside an adept, a mystic adept and some riggers and a technomancer. Since I can't get cyberware and don't have the adept abilities to give myself extra buffs, I'm hoping that I can cast buffing spells on myself. Otherwise, I'll be giving my party extra initiative passes out the wazoo, then they'll get a few more from their own buffs and I'll be stuck throwing out a death touch once a turn.

Get a sustaining focus. Out of combat, stick Detect Enemies (Extended) and never be ambushed again. When you think you're going into combat, swap it for Increase Reflexes. Or get two sustaining focuses and keep them on all day! Get all the sustaining focuses, nothing could possibly go wrong.

You can actually get cyberware/bioware, though it lowers your magic. You may want to consider getting a single points worth - there's a ton of good low-essence bioware out there that can be worth the tradeoff.

Stunbolt/Stunball are both extremely strong and have low drain - they should be your go-to combat spells. Summoning high force spirits to do stuff is another great option.

Piell fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 14, 2012

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Doodmons posted:

:can:

Your imagination and ability to resist drain (depending on what edition, earlier drain hit harder) are really your only limit.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Doodmons posted:

:can:

I had a mage once who learned all the Mass Control X spells. From then on, literally any squad which wasn't guarded by a mage, and any time the mage failed his Counterspelling check, the entire squad of enemies would find that their bodies were moving against their will, firing weapons into the heads of anyone who happened to be remotely close by.

Those mind control spells are resisted by Willpower + Counterspelling, IIRC, and anyone mundane just will NOT win the check.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I am pretty glad my party had a silent agreement to not break the magic system too much.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PunkBoy posted:

I am pretty glad my party had a silent agreement to not break the magic system too much.
Tbh, you can make those agreements about pretty much anything in Shadowrun.

Lately, our group has done deals such as “no in-group magic or matrix users” simply because we didn't want another umpteen pages of rules and exceptions and special tweaks to deal with. Instead, we ran Mission Impossible-style campaigns with a focus on nifty gadgets (because you just can't have Shadowrun without at last some furious page-flipping, now can you?). The matrix and magic components still had to be accounted for, but the services were out-sourced and handled more in a dramatic story-telling vein by the GM.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
So my gaming group's vampire campaign has just come to an end and we're starting a Shadowrun campaign in the new year. I've been assigned the B&E role in the party, so I'm trying to put together a generally competent B&E guy who can at least get out of a firefight alive. Comments / suggestions on the build much appreciated: http://pastebin.com/hqhyRNVj

Tossing up between a taser and the squirtgun, I could be convinced either way. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the Radar Sensor and the Ultrasound Sensor, they both sound very similar just going by the description. If I have a level 3 radar sensor, is there any point getting the ultrasound sensor?

Also, am I correct in assuming that I can just turn off my commlink whenever I want? My plan is to use the Sid Proud identity for all mundane day to day stuff (rental etc) and have a shoddy external commlink which belongs to that identity and doesn't contain any useful information outside of the bland existence of Sid Proud. The internal commlink is used for all the running related communications and data storage and is turned off unless I expect to need it. My character is convinced the authorities are out to get him and is determined to keep his two existences completely separate so his criminal activities can never be tracked back to where he lives.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It can be turned off, yes, but it's sort of in your head. While I understand the arguments -for- an internal commlink, I'm not sure a very paranoid criminal would use them.

First off, if the pigs get you, and you're arrested with one commlink in your earbud, and another inside your head (MAD scanneres), they might assume you're guilty of a severe economic crime.

While this matters less when a none-too-ethical beat cop takes you in a part of chinatown flooded with disposable commlinks, you can't expect corpsec to take the same kind of bright view when they take you in their facilities.

One might even make the case that an external commlink can be destroyed quickly, whereas you can be incapacitated, from where cybersurgeons can crack your head case, but I'm reaching a bit, there.

I'd say the squirtgun says "pro" where the tazer says "self defense", but again that really depends on the GM and the kind of jobs you do.

If his specialty is maglocks, he should get some gear that can tamper with a maglock in the first place. I'd reccommend the best sequencer money can buy, and then just whip out the mf chainsaw for the quick and dirties.

Otherwise solid job!

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 18, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'd go with the taser over the squirt gun. First, tasers are totally legal everywhere, whereas the Super Squirt is probably going to be filled with something that isn't. More importantly, tasers use the Pistols skill rather than their own exotic skill, so if you want you can branch out to regular guns as well later you can. Besides regular and Stick and Shock rounds, which are great, you can get some APDS or explosive rounds for anti-drone work or even some capsule rounds (from Arsenal) if you want to drug people.

Radar is sensitive to jamming and cluttered areas like a leafy forest or urban settings with a lot of stuff in them. Ultrasound has no problem there, but you'll take vision penalties in dark/smoky areas, though less than normal vision (see the Visibility table).

I'd really suggest skipping the cybereye/cyberear, unless you're really interested in the ocular drone. You can get the same stuff without having to burn essence by getting earbuds/contacts/glasses.

If you're using a monofilament whip, get a fingertip compartment to put it in. Get an R6 Autopicker for regular locks.

Think about getting an Agent with some hacking programs (Exploit/Stealth/Spoof/Sniffer/Track/Analyze is a good basic setup), unless you have a good dedicated hacker in the party already. Even if you do, think about it.

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 18, 2012

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
Thanks, those are just the kind of advice I was looking for. I think I have rules mostly under control on a technical level at least, but I won't know how it actually plays (or how it would work in the setting) without some experience, so those tips help a lot.

I've dropped the cyberears for earbuds and switched the squirt gun to a taser (I had been concerned about keeping the squirt gun supplied with ammo anyway). The cybereyes I'm still dithering on, but I'll probably drop those too in favour of some goggles. I guess I'll keep both the radar and the ultrasound since that seems to let me cover all bases in terms of keeping track of my surroundings.

Reading the rules gave me the impression a reasonably high hardware skill rendered the devices for opening maglocks pretty much redundant, since none of them seem to stack with the skill. It's a bit confusing though, the gear listing says that a maglock sequencer is required to defeat keypad locks, but the rules for cracking locks says you can use a sequencer instead of your skill if you want, in which case it seems I'm better off just using the skill.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I disagree with the use of ear buds and goggles as a replacement for cyber eyes and ears if you aren't hurting for essence, and are not a magic user. Cyberware is not lost, stolen, or even damaged as easily as regular equipment.

Assuming you don't take some wild cosmetic option, they are really only detectable by cyberware scanners, which is handy in the wide variety of social situations a runner might find him or herself in.

When it comes down to it though, if your GM Is likely to pull a "Whoops, all your equipment is gone" on you, you may wanna go cyber.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Swags posted:

Monkey King idea

I hope Swags is still checking this, because this is a really cool character concept and I think it's very doable.

Have you considered not using cyberware and instead using Metagenic Qualities and making him a changeling? No Essence cost and you still get monkey-like limbs, a prehensile tail, and the simian features.

If you want, I can whip up a quick character sheet of a changeling Monkey King and post it here.

e: poo poo, I didn't pay attention to the fact that you want the character to be a Burnout. Well, if that's not a central requirement my idea still would work.

Martello fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 19, 2012

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

And as the Sixth World begins, Catalyst announce new edition of Shadowrun:

quote:

Summer 2013

The year will continue with Catalyst’s launch of the Shadowrun, Fifth Edition RPG. Shadowrun, Fifth Edition is the latest version of one of the most popular and successful role-playing settings of all time. Fusing magic with technology in a dystopian near-future setting, Shadowrun’s popularity has crossed into video games, fiction, and more, but the living, breathing Sixth World role-playing setting has always been its heart.

Building on the award-winning Shadowrun, Fourth Edition rule set, the new edition brings the game forward while preserving the fun that has made it so enduring. Highlights of the new edition include:

• Grittier & Deadlier: The down-and-dirty Sixth World setting is a place where shadowrunners need to count their bullets carefully and be cautious about whom they trust. Fifth Edition rules reflect that, making players aware of their choices and the price they have to pay to be the best. It also supports deadlier combat, while still making sure the player characters can stay alive long enough to take care of business.
  • Streamlined Matrix: Matrix rules have been improved and streamlined, bringing them more in line with the rest of the game and making them more intuitive. Running the Matrix has never been easier.
  • Increased Gear Options: Changes in Fifth Edition mean there are more functions for gear, which leads to an increased variety of the toys shadowrunners love!
  • Faster Character Creation and More Player Aids: New to Shadowrun and eager to hit the streets as quickly as possible? Fifth Edition’s character creation rules make it faster and easier to create a full-fledged character and dive into the shadows. Additionally, from an expanded gamemaster advice section to pre-generated gear kits, Shadowrun, Fifth Edition has tools and resources to help players quickly get into the game and onto the streets.

I am cautiously optimistic. I like 4th, but some speedup would be real nice.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
ffffff-

We're just about to start a new campaign and I just bought the anniversary edition.

Meh, well, I should have more money next year.

children overboard
Apr 3, 2009
Cool, looking forward to 5e. 4e's issues have kinda chased me away from the game for a bit. Here's hoping the new matrix rules are easy to run and magic/summoning isn't entirely borked.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FortMan posted:

And as the Sixth World begins, Catalyst announce new edition of Shadowrun:

I am cautiously optimistic. I like 4th, but some speedup would be real nice.

Oh, but you missed the far better announcement.

quote:

In development by Cliffhanger Productions, Shadowrun Online brings the universe to a full cross-platform MMO experience for iOS, PC, Mac, Linux and Ouya

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Increased gear options and streamlined chargen?

At the same time?

:what:

And Shadowrun Online isn't news, they had a kickstarter a while after the Shadowrun Returns kickstarter.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, Catalyst is going to leverage that Shadowrun IP.

Fifth edition was to be expected, but Shadowrun versions of Necromunda and Settlers of Catan were completely unexpected.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
It doesn't come out til Summer, so there's still time to run those 4E games.

I know I didn't get into Shadowrun until this Summer, and still haven't run a game because my group is doing 40K at the moment.

I'm excited that, if it takes as long as summer to finally get this to the table, I can do a little mix and match of rules should I feel like it.

Hatrack
Sep 29, 2008
I'm not sure if anyone else has been digging into the little ARG-ish info-dump that Catalyst has been doing. I got only so far and then got stuck. Honestly some of them took me way too long and made me feel just a bit stupid when I finally got them. If you search it out on the Awakening Day announcements you can find the link to the first one.

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/coming-soon/eye-of-the-hurricane-1/

It's a series of puzzles blended with in universe fiction. It's cool but weird.

Anyone else trying to dig through this stuff?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
:retrogames: Maybe this time they'll release the core supplements before the main rulebook's lifecycle is half over :retrogames:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Maybe this time, they make it so you don't have to skip parts of the game to make it at least somewhat manageable (and also not make it so that everything of any real use is some kind of adept hybrid).
:colbert:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hatrack posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else has been digging into the little ARG-ish info-dump that Catalyst has been doing. I got only so far and then got stuck. Honestly some of them took me way too long and made me feel just a bit stupid when I finally got them. If you search it out on the Awakening Day announcements you can find the link to the first one.

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/coming-soon/eye-of-the-hurricane-1/

It's a series of puzzles blended with in universe fiction. It's cool but weird.

Anyone else trying to dig through this stuff?

Can't get past the first one. What is the clue supposed to be about?

Duke of Straylight
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been reading through it a bit. There's a thread on dumpshock that should get you started. If you feel like doing it yourself, I found that once you've got past the first one and have an idea of what kind of thinking they want from you, it gets easier, so I'll just give away the first one: The code is all of the highlighted letters. It can help to take a glance at the page source, there's stuff in there that I think is red herrings, but there's also stuff that can give you a hint about what you're supposed to do, and it's easier to see what's highlighted in the source.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Woo, I've finally caught up with this thread.

I'm new to SR and GMing but I've started GMing a game for a couple friends who are liking it so far.

Reading this thread has answered 90% of the questions I had from going through the SR4A core book and the supplements (yay for houserule adjustments for all the broken poo poo) - there's one thing I'm still curious about.

Outside of "passive" checks like writing software - do Hackers ever actually use Logic? It's just (Related Computer Skill) + (Related Software Level) for everything that's "on-the-fly".

It seems like Logic is pretty important for riggers to be able to modify their equipment quickly and maybe to write their own autosofts. Obviously it's also important for hermetic mages to resist drain, but when will a hacker realistically use Logic? Seems like a pretty big oversight but someone with logic 1 and a souped up commlink is going to hack better than someone with maxed logic but lovely software.

E: One more thing that I've probably glossed over accidentally - what's the comprehensive list of things that heal boxes of stun damage other than time?

E2: May as well summarize our first run since I've posted, parts of it qualify for the "worst experiences" thread. To give these guys a sense of what SR is I'm letting them both play two characters but to introduce them to the rules I made an introductory run for each pair of characters separately. In this campaign I've basically railroaded the introductions to get them busted by Lone Star who then uses them as a disposable cranial bombed hit squad.

So this is the first introductory run, I spec'd out a decent, wared out, Jazz-addicted Ork Gun'sBraster for Friend A who quickly decided on the name "Skeet" - the other is a pretty powerful, but insane shamanic mage with a vendetta out against Aztechnology who was promptly named "Juan" (he's from Peurto Rico).

Juan and Skeet did not know each other until just a few moments ago. Skeet was down on his luck and in need of a serious jazzing - Juan had made the long trek to Stillwater from Puerto Rico to escape the influence of Aztech, and the first sight he sees is an AZ-Mart. For one it was a crime of necessity, the other a crime of passion but they quickly agree to team up and make a raid on the AZ-Mart. Skeet needs his fix, and Juan has no purpose other than to ruin their poo poo.

I make things very convenient and drop them into this situation right before closing time so they can case the joint and make up some sort of plan. During business hours this mart is guarded by 4 rent-a-cops and 1 rent-a-mage, they would only have to deal with one guard after closing time.

Of course they didn't make closing time - Juan strolls right into the break room where two cops and the mage (who is astrally projecting) are. He then decides to "pretend he's mistaken the breakroom for a bathroom" and tries to lock the door behind him, fortunately for him it's a maglock and he can't just lock himself in with these three guards. The two guards that are conscious don't buy his story and Juan quickly escalates things by launching a Ball Lightning at the three of them. He does make one of the three pass out but a cop and the mage are now about to push his poo poo in. (Yes, I gave my friend the "You're a retard" look the entire time he was strolling into the breakroom)

The cop sounds the alarm then he and mage both get a round in, severely damaging and stunning Juan, fortunately since he was unable to lock the door Skeet was able to come crashing in and splats both the cop and mage in a couple IPs. Then he does a called shot narrow bust, full auto on the poor rentacop that came running towards the breakroom, lets just say he was gibbed like the intro to Robocop. The fourth rentacop sees this and just flees.

And now comes the silver lining of this whole ordeal, the friend who is playing Juan is starting to buy into the "Juan is insane" character backstory and starts feverishly questioning the one rentacop he knocked out with Ball Lightning about who is running Aztech and where their HQ is, handcuffing him to a chair and interrogating him.

Naturally by the time Skeet collects his Jazz from the terrified pharmacists and by the time Juan has arranged all of the propane barrels in the store to make a giant explosion, Lone Star has arrived. Skeet shoots a grenade at the propane and then rushes out the front door with Juan to confront the Lone Star.

At least this time Juan summons his two bound spirits, but since he has already taken damage the 4 more heavily armed cops that have arrived quickly succeed in geeking the mage. Skeet manages to take the four cops out with a well placed nade and long burst but by this time armed choppers are on the scene.

Smartly my friend tries to switch his HE nades with smoke nades to hide from the choppers but it was too late, the two choppers bring him down - he couldn't have run back into the Azmart since it was a raging inferno from the propane tanks they blew up.

Now I had planned for them to fail so it was no big deal but I did have a talk with them about how Shadowrun is a game about subtlety and they agreed to be a little more thorough next time even though they both said they had fun with their horribly botched run.

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 11, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

E: One more thing that I've probably glossed over accidentally - what's the comprehensive list of things that heal boxes of stun damage other than time?
There's very little thing that heal stun immediately. I only recall Adept power: Pain Relief, can do this. I think there's also a rule that stun/phy damage cause from drain cannot be healed unnaturally.

quote:

(Yes, I gave my friend the "You're a retard" look the entire time he was strolling into the breakroom)
This happen all the time for new players, just always assume your players will do retarded things, lack common sense, and just plain won't know how security procedure works. (Highly suggest you give common sense quality to them for free and make them roll their knowledge skill)

quote:

quickly succeed in geeking the mage ... the two choppers bring skeet down -
That's the expected result for green runner to raid a AAA Corp's mart. If it's just a cheap low down mart then it won't have the choppers! :eng101:

Edit: You should also throw in some drone so the mage player will know how painfully hard it is to have direct magic affect a drone. :cry:

Edit 2: Show them how burning an edge will keep them alive next time.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 11, 2013

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nyaa posted:

There's very little thing that heal stun immediately. I only recall Adept power: Pain Relief, can do this. I think there's also a rule that stun/phy damage cause from drain cannot be healed unnaturally.

Or, you know, making a first aid roll on an injured character. Standing ruling for 4E is that you pick whether to heal stun or physical damage with your roll, unless I remember it all wrong.

Do get acquinted with the "using first aid section", as people often forget or ignore the stacking -2 modifiers for things like healing yourself or using a medkit without having the First Aid ability.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Nyaa posted:

This happen all the time for new players, just always assume your players will do retarded things, lack common sense, and just plain won't know how security procedure works. (Highly suggest you give common sense quality to them for free and make them roll their knowledge skill)

I did expect this and I'm actually glad it went as it did since I would have had to come up with a convincing excuse for Lone Star to bust them even if they had done it as cleanly as they could have. I did expect them though to put up more of a fight (I figured they would at least get a brief car chase with the choppers in) - I had explained to the mage that he wants to get his spirit of man to either cast or sustain increased reflexes, and have his air spirit just harass with elemental attack to supplement his own stunbolt damage.

Operating the gunslinger is a little bit more straightforward which is why Skeet did as much as he could.

Nyaa posted:

Edit: You should also throw in some drone so the mage player will know how painfully hard it is to have direct magic affect a drone. :cry:

Edit 2: Show them how burning an edge will keep them alive next time.

Yeah I'm starting to look into how to adequately challenge each member of the team in each mission - mages are especially annoying to gently caress with and I'm sure I'll have to start presenting bigger magical challenges since my friend is bound to figure out how to properly use him eventually.

Drones seems like a good choice since the mage can be made to be relatively powerless while the hacker and rigger get to flex their stuff.

Definitely did not want to make them burn edge this time around since I planned for them to get caught no matter what, if they keep playing this way they'll see how it can come to bite them, I'll definitely do the burn edge + serious physical injury route.

Tias posted:

Or, you know, making a first aid roll on an injured character. Standing ruling for 4E is that you pick whether to heal stun or physical damage with your roll, unless I remember it all wrong.

Do get acquinted with the "using first aid section", as people often forget or ignore the stacking -2 modifiers for things like healing yourself or using a medkit without having the First Aid ability.

Thanks, I had just read that entire section before posting but somehow managed to miss the one parenthetical snippet about choosing the damage type. Oddly enough it's worded a bit more clearly in the initial printing than SR4A.

And now I know that in the RAW it's ok to do first aid and then heal magically but not the other way around for no discernible reason.

Now of course if you look at the rules for the heal spell it's vague as gently caress and fails to define a lot of the basics around how long it's supposed to take and how the hit trade in works.

Another question that comes to mind - if someone passes out due to stun damage - does healing the stun via First Aid cause them to suddenly come-to? Are there any penalties like from disorientation?

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 11, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Super Rad posted:

Stim patches! :)

Well... maybe not "heal" per se, but lets you ignore them for a while. :)

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Kenderama posted:

Interesting, the way I interpreted the rules is that it works like High Pain Tolerance, allowing you to ignore the negative dice modifiers from stun damage (i.e. ignore the -2 to all rolls you should be getting for having 7 stun damage) - but I did not interpret it to mean that you can stay conscious past the number of stun boxes you have...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Kenderama posted:

Ah, drugs, the solution to all of life's problems.

Edit: You can also cover yourself in NoPaint for HPT 3. K-10 also gives HPT 3! I highly endorse the use of Blood of Kali for all your stun-ignoring needs.

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 11, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Super Rad posted:

Interesting, the way I interpreted the rules is that it works like High Pain Tolerance, allowing you to ignore the negative dice modifiers from stun damage (i.e. ignore the -2 to all rolls you should be getting for having 7 stun damage) - but I did not interpret it to mean that you can stay conscious past the number of stun boxes you have...

Yeah that is what I meant by ignoring them for a while.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Kenderama posted:

Yeah that is what I meant by ignoring them for a while.

Gotcha, yeah I knew about that then but the thing is for the moment I'm allowing form-fitting armor just to see how terribly it skews balance and now two of the characters have armor so high that they're more likely to take stun damage than physical and since their will is lower than their body they're getting a shorter damage track until KO. I'll figure the balance around that out.

Also, anyone that can afford .1 essence and 1k nuyen should have a 6-slot refillable auto-injector of Kamikaze from character creation. If you're concerned about detection you can always skip it at creation and then track down its deltaware variant which cannot be detected and has to be one of the cheapest upgrades imaginable for .05 essence and 10k nuyen. IIRC Kamikaze will let your meatbody get 5IPs as well as exceed even the maximum augmented value of your stats.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Super Rad posted:

Gotcha, yeah I knew about that then but the thing is for the moment I'm allowing form-fitting armor just to see how terribly it skews balance and now two of the characters have armor so high that they're more likely to take stun damage than physical and since their will is lower than their body they're getting a shorter damage track until KO. I'll figure the balance around that out.

Also, anyone that can afford .1 essence and 1k nuyen should have a 6-slot refillable auto-injector of Kamikaze from character creation. If you're concerned about detection you can always skip it at creation and then track down its deltaware variant which cannot be detected and has to be one of the cheapest upgrades imaginable for .05 essence and 10k nuyen. IIRC Kamikaze will let your meatbody get 5IPs as well as exceed even the maximum augmented value of your stats.

Remember to keep in mind encumbrance rules. I don't have my books with me, but if they have too much armor they're gonna start losing stats. "Funderwear" we usually allow full value for, but house ruled half anything over it.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Kenderama posted:

Remember to keep in mind encumbrance rules. I don't have my books with me, but if they have too much armor they're gonna start losing stats. "Funderwear" we usually allow full value for, but house ruled half anything over it.

That sounds like a good balance actually, but yeah as far as the encumbrance rules I did keep those in mind - one is a Troll with body 8 which means he can have up to 16 in either armor category. The other is a body 7 Ork, but he actually has the full 14 armor allowed plus 3 from Orthoskin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

As for armor, I think it's not really broken since it's easy to die even with high armor along with other non-physical way to screw the meattank and the player did spend point to get higher body for the extra defense (dodging is better than soaking anyway) instead of more point on agil or str to shoot/hit things harder.

In "Funderwear" case, social dress code should come into place so someone might call the cops if they see someone dress like he's going to bomb a place.

• Locked thread