Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, robots, pick a fight with the uncredibly powerful and rather violent shapeshifter that likes to take the form of a huge wolf. That's not going to end up with you reduced to scraps, no siree. :allears:

I didn't know Shadow liked taking the form of a wolf :)

Still not sure if this is an intentional trap since they declared them to be trespassers. It's probably a trap, but the idea that the seraphs like to hang out in warehouses on the rafters amuses me a great deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
PIP PIP!

But seriously, where's the respect for Kat? They see her just as a student? Nothing more? These robots obviously don't feel the same way about the 'angel' as Robot and the other court robots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, robots, pick a fight with the uncredibly powerful and rather violent shapeshifter that likes to take the form of a huge wolf. That's not going to end up with you reduced to scraps, no siree. :allears:

Have we ever seen Reynardine take some real hits in his stuffed toy body? Maybe it'll just get ripped apart.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MikeJF posted:

Have we ever seen Reynardine take some real hits in his stuffed toy body? Maybe it'll just get ripped apart.

He did get into a fight with Ysen awhile back, but I don't recall if that involved him taking hits or not.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There's something wrong with these robots. No worship for Kat?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

MikeJF posted:

I'm not willing to find out!

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

There's something wrong with these robots. No worship for Kat?

Between that and the failure of the disruptor, I think these robots are special somehow.

Wikiman
May 30, 2011
If the disruptor really was nothing at all, I have a hard time thinking Kat wouldn't notice it though. She seems the type to pick anything apart as soon as she gets it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Between that and the failure of the disruptor, I think these robots are special somehow.

The old models probably aren't affected by it. Remember Kat couldn't figured out how these things were powered, with the suggestion of them being etherically powered rather than being electric. Donny's disruptor is probably designed for the modern court robots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There aren't any old etheric-bots left, they're all powered down in the tomb. These are modern bots just designed after the old Seraph model.

I expect they just hardened their circuits against the disruptor at some point in the last few decades. Might even have just been an incidental side-effect of general improvements.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Aren't these the modern model? I mean I thought they were past being etherically powered after the first generation and they don't look like S1s, I mean they're pretty clearly S13s. Maybe S12s, but we don't know what the in between models look like...also while looking for those pages I found, ugh, that guy.

efb...oh well.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
^^^I don't think the numbers are model numbers, the seraphs called Robot number 13 at the chapter start, and Annie and Renard had to look for S13 specifically.

RME posted:

The old models probably aren't affected by it. Remember Kat couldn't figured out how these things were powered, with the suggestion of them being etherically powered rather than being electric. Donny's disruptor is probably designed for the modern court robots.

The seraphs are modern though. The only old-style seraph was the S1 that they put Robot's chip into in Jeanne's tomb.

Also something to consider- the court decided not to take Renard from Annie because that would nullify her ownership over the doll and thus Renard. If the robots actually succeed in taking him we may be looking at a situation where he becomes free (but also is captured :/)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 11, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brightman posted:

Aren't these the modern model? I mean I thought they were past being etherically powered after the first generation and they don't look like S1s, I mean they're pretty clearly S13s. Maybe S12s, but we don't know what the in between models look like...

I think S13 wasn't the model number, it was the specific robot. He was the 13th S-model.

Mazerunner posted:

Also something to consider- the court decided not to take Renard from Annie because that would nullify her ownership over the doll and thus Renard. If the robots actually succeed in taking him we may be looking at a situation where he becomes free (but also is captured :/)

I don't think it would matter much. Annie's offered to free him; he's choosing to stay of his own will at this point.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yep, they are the modern models. Guess I'm just stupid. I just forgot that there were modern Seraph models I guess.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I don't think it would matter much. Annie's offered to free him; he's choosing to stay of his own will at this point.

Yeah that's true, but it's still a pretty big change, don't you think?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MikeJF posted:

I think S13 wasn't the model number, it was the specific robot. He was the 13th S-model.

Well I guess that's possible, but that might not make a difference unless they're all just the model right after S1 and they didn't improve it much. To me it seems more likely that it's a model number, if not, then I guess that model got really popular recently, that or I'm just imagining the incremental advancement of court robots over the years incorrectly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brightman posted:

Well I guess that's possible, but that might not make a difference unless they're all just the model right after S1 and they didn't improve it much. To me it seems more likely that it's a model number, if not, then I guess that model got really popular recently, that or I'm just imagining the incremental advancement of court robots over the years incorrectly.

Or they self-upgrade as they advance. After all, if you were a robot, why wouldn't you? No reason to be left behind.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Technically, Annie could order Reynardine to just hop into all the robots then back into his puppet body, I doubt she will, since Kat has issues with people "murdering" robots, but they all have eyes, so the plan should theoretically work.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The robots seem to be numbered based on their CPUs anyway, since Robot is still considered S13, rather than being reclassified or anything, so it makes sense that they just upgrade as they go, presuming they have upgraded and they aren't still all working off the original model's designs.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MikeJF posted:

Or they self-upgrade as they advance. After all, if you were a robot, why wouldn't you? No reason to be left behind.

Touche. Granted if you go this route with most tech it quickly becomes obvious that it's easier to just build something new rather than upgrade, but if they're doing it themselves I could see this being the case. Might also explain the altered chip.

Prison Warden posted:

The robots seem to be numbered based on their CPUs anyway, since Robot is still considered S13, rather than being reclassified or anything, so it makes sense that they just upgrade as they go, presuming they have upgraded and they aren't still all working off the original model's designs.

This page concurs with you. Alright.

So he's the 13th Seraph...or they took a page in numbering from video cards, in which case who knows.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Conot posted:

Technically, Annie could order Reynardine to just hop into all the robots then back into his puppet body, I doubt she will, since Kat has issues with people "murdering" robots, but they all have eyes, so the plan should theoretically work.

I like this plan but I agree with you that Annie probably wouldn't condone mass robot murder, 'bad' guys or no. I always remember how she paused and took the time to specifically thank and pay attention to the horse bot pulling their carriage when they took Red to get her first haircut. Weird and thoughtless as she sometimes seems she values all life.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Conot posted:

Not just Kat.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Oops, I misread Conot's post as Annie not Kat but as you've pointed out the point is valid.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Who knew robots were such bigoted and racist... :(

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Numero6 posted:

Who knew robots were such bigoted and racist... :(

Don't blame the robots, blame the guy who made them.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

But seriously, where's the respect for Kat? They see her just as a student? Nothing more? These robots obviously don't feel the same way about the 'angel' as Robot and the other court robots.
It seems being an angel yourself takes the shine off that particular mystique.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Conot posted:

Also the fact that as soon as Reynardine left the toy he'd be free to do as he wills. While he probably wouldn't snap and kill everyone, there's a good chance he'd jack some kind of body and run away.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

whateverfor posted:

Also the fact that as soon as Reynardine left the toy he'd be free to do as he wills. While he probably wouldn't snap and kill everyone, there's a good chance he'd jack some kind of body and run away.

I don't know if Reynardine would try to escape from the Court at this point. As Coyote said, he's still there due to Annie.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I don't think Reynardine would go anywhere either. I do think that if he had the choice, he'd do some things in a rather different way.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Conot posted:

Would doing this actually kill the robots, though? We know from Reynardine's current stuffed animal body that he can possess inanimate objects, but unless I'm forgetting something, we've only ever been shown that biotic life dies when he vacates a body. Would abiotic "life" (i.e. artificial intelligence) die as well? Or are the robots potentially immune to the lethal side effect of Reynardine's body-hopping?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I just noticed that the 2nd panel has the robots just landing on the floor, and the way they're posed makes them look like they floated down on their tiny, metal wings. :allears:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Anoia posted:

Don't blame the robots, blame the guy who made them.

Aw man :(

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

I love how in the last panel the robots are eying each other wondering if that was supposed to do something.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I like how Kat stopped to explain what she was doing and also how she got it, in a cool action pose, especially when compared to her father who just... did it.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Iceclaw posted:

No, don't! It's a trap robots!

Jeeze, goons give the worst advice. <:mad:>

I like how friendly these imposing robots are, especially after their secret base had been invaded.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Would doing this actually kill the robots, though? We know from Reynardine's current stuffed animal body that he can possess inanimate objects, but unless I'm forgetting something, we've only ever been shown that biotic life dies when he vacates a body. Would abiotic "life" (i.e. artificial intelligence) die as well? Or are the robots potentially immune to the lethal side effect of Reynardine's body-hopping?

If we presume that Coyote's gift is perfect in its imperfection, then any life should die if Renard invades it and leaves. What will happen to the puppet, I don't know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always figured that things died because he basically overwrote the original mind when he entered a creature then left it blank when he left it. No idea what that'd mean for a robot.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Maybe I forgot, but was it ever explained why he got into the being Annie met in Chapter 3?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I don't recall any mention of why Reynardine possessed Sivo at all, but on re-reading, I noticed that a sign leading Annie to Reynardine uses a familiar form of subterfuge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I don't recall any mention of why Reynardine possessed Sivo at all, but on re-reading, I noticed that a sign leading Annie to Reynardine uses a familiar form of subterfuge.

My assumption has always been that Eglamore and Sivo were fighting him and the body he was in was damaged to the point he needed a new one, so he chose Sivo. I'm excited to read the real story when Rey finally gets around to telling it all to Annie.