Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp.

I installed the beta on my Nexus S and it promptly rebooted.

It's running great! :v:

Haven't tried on my Nexus 4 yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Are there any GPS logging apps that are compatible with Llama? I want to start tracking when I leave home and stop when I arrive home. I know I could probably do it with Tasker but Llama has been enough for me so far, so I haven't bought it. I've been using GPSLogger but it's quite simple and I can't get it to integrate with Llama.

Edit: Durr, didn't see the shortcut the first time...

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 11, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After that weird reboot, Chrome Beta seems to run slower on my Nexus S than normal Chrome.

On my Nexus 4, it runs a LOT better than the default Chrome Browser.

I haven't run into actual problems during the testing of the browser though on either phone. At least not yet.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

On my Nexus 4, it runs a LOT better than the default Chrome Browser.
Is "default Chrome" any different from Play Store Chome 18?

I guess that's a silly question as the store could be shipping device-optimized builds anyways.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is "default Chrome" any different from Play Store Chome 18?

I guess that's a silly question as the store could be shipping device-optimized builds anyways.

They show as the exact same build, actually.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

They show as the exact same build, actually.
They install side-by-side? Can you install Chrome Beta and three of the monsters?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They install side-by-side? Can you install Chrome Beta and three of the monsters?

Yah, you can install Chrome Beta next to the default Chrome, but as for Chrome itself, it shows as Installed already on the Nexus 4.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'd like to have two-way playlist syncrhonization.

Winamp came pretty close-- it certainly has two-way synchronization for the actual mp3s themselves, but it will only sync playlists one way-- PC to phone.

Anybody have any advice for getting playlists synced the other way around-- phone to PC?

Samsung GS3, stock, and XP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to ask for a recommendation for a Microsoft Office app. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 came with Polaris Office, but I'm sure I can do better than that. I asked a friend and he recommended Cloud On, but apparently it's not compatible with my device.

Also, is there an app that would work like literal GPS, as in it calls out when I should turn? Google Maps is great and all, but it's not like I can keep my eye on the tab when I'm driving by myself. My device is wifi-only, so it should probably be able to work off-line.

Tleilaxu
Oct 7, 2010

Pray your Gods who ask you for your blood. For They are strong and angry, jealous Ones.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to ask for a recommendation for a Microsoft Office app. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 came with Polaris Office, but I'm sure I can do better than that. I asked a friend and he recommended Cloud On, but apparently it's not compatible with my device.

I use OfficeSuite Pro 6, though people complain about it's abilities with spreadsheets. I've never had any trouble with it, though I've used it almost exclusively for documents. It's often on sale for various holidays/specials, and I got it when it was 99 cents one time through the Amazon App Store. Two other faults it has is: it uses all sorts of permissions for some reason, and people complain about a separate purchase to get a font package if you want fonts like Times New Roman, Courier and Arial, amongst others. The Font Package is $4.99, and occasionally on sale as well.

In short, OfficeSuite does what I need it to do and I don't really have any complaints with it at the moment.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I get my daily schedule emailed to me and I was wondering if there's something that will scrape my email and out the schedule into my calendar. I figure Tasker can probably do this, but is there a simpler way? I am not a programmer and I think it would involve lots of passing data back and forth.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an app which is similar to Viber but also allows you to send voice files.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

effika posted:

I'd like to have two-way playlist syncrhonization.

Winamp came pretty close-- it certainly has two-way synchronization for the actual mp3s themselves, but it will only sync playlists one way-- PC to phone.

Anybody have any advice for getting playlists synced the other way around-- phone to PC?

Samsung GS3, stock, and XP.

I saw that iSyncr can do that, but only with their player, which I think is called RocketPlayer. I didn't like the way it looked so I'm not sure how well the feature works. I wish Google would put out some kind of API or something that would allow for easier syncing of stuff.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chrome Beta let's me play music, leave the browser, go do other things in other apps, turn the screen off, and still have the music playing the whole time.

I love it. :dance:

e: This works on both the Nexus S 4G and the Nexus 4. I've only tried it with SoundCloud so far.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 11, 2013

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Chrome Beta let's me play music, leave the browser, go do other things in other apps, turn the screen off, and still have the music playing the whole time.

I love it. :dance:

e: This works on both the Nexus S 4G and the Nexus 4. I've only tried it with SoundCloud so far.

Why not use the SoundCloud app?

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Are there any recommended group MMS apps? I was using GoSMS Pro, but I'm getting tired of all the bloat it has, in addition to the constant needless notifications to buy new themes.

edit: nevermind, there was a discussion a few pages ago.

Electric Crayon fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 11, 2013

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'd like to plug Twist, which has finally unseated Glympse from its throne of awesome location-sharing apps. The reasons?

-It's ETA focused instead of location focused.
-You can plan a trip while you're getting ready to leave, and it won't start broadcasting your location until you leave. No fumbling with the phone in the driveway.
-It has tight SMS integration, so it's easy to keep people with dumbphones/dumb people with smartphones up to date without them downloading an app or clicking a link.

However, it uses Bing maps and it's pretty slow. Altogether, pretty cool.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Csn anyone tell me what the difference is between nova and nova prime? I just got my note 2 and I want to customize it a little.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Radbot posted:

Why not use the SoundCloud app?

I didn't know there was one but I was just following a link from Facebook. I hope they keep the ability to play music without the browser actually in the foreground in the final product. Of course, it doesn't work on YouTube, but it's nice to have anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Csn anyone tell me what the difference is between nova and nova prime? I just got my note 2 and I want to customize it a little.

The Play listing for Prime tells you exactly what it unlocks:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime&hl=en

Basically start with Nova and then see if you want to add Prime. It's just an unlocker so you won't lose your settings.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I didn't know there was one but I was just following a link from Facebook. I hope they keep the ability to play music without the browser actually in the foreground in the final product. Of course, it doesn't work on YouTube, but it's nice to have anyway.

The solution for playing youtube with the screen off or multitasking is PVStar+

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.asbit.pvstar

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Is there a free podcast app that let's you download podcasts rather than stream them. I have been using double twist but they want money for the version that does that.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Noticeable Dickvein posted:

Is there a free podcast app that let's you download podcasts rather than stream them. I have been using double twist but they want money for the version that does that.

Why don't you just pay for things you would like to use, Dickvein?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

AntennaPod? I use BeyondPod and probably going to switch to Pocket Casts once the next version comes out since it will have device sync.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

I use Beyondpod but I'm not sure whether the free version lets you download. Podkicker should do the trick though: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ait.podka

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The solution for playing youtube with the screen off or multitasking is PVStar+

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.asbit.pvstar

I downloaded that last week and its been working perfectly. Just checked out the ad-free version and the Engrish is pretty funny:

This is NO AD version of PVSTAR+.
Please use this app, before you try to use the FREE version.

[Very easy operation]
- Play the ranking continuously. Listen to popular songs at once!
- Video search by artist. Selected from the search results, continuous playback!
- If you make a mylist, ready for your favorite albums! Even wallpaper can be set!
- As it is playing a YouTube playlist. Effort to create a mylist is not required!
- Playing in the background. While still other work OK!

[Also active in this scene]
- Classification into a list of your favorite music videos, repeat playback.
- Playing in the background even go out. You can enjoy your earphones.
- Also convenient for commuting. Mylists made ​​last night will help you.
- Before sleep and play and set a sleep timer.
- Continuous playback in the playlist the video of the series.
- Also active in the drive. Please try to connect to the car audio.

Please find your original usage.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Is there a countdown timer widget that's not ugly as hell? I want to countdown my days left until I'm free of the navy and not make my phone look dumb. Thanks.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

AppleCobbler posted:

Why don't you just pay for things you would like to use, Dickvein?

If there is a free alternative I would rather use. That and spend the money on biscuits.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

If there is a free alternative I would rather use. That and spend the money on biscuits.
Well it'd be free for you to develop an app yourself?

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

LastInLine posted:

I am just going to use beyond pod. It looks like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks guys.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

LastInLine posted:

If you value your time at $0/hour.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
If a few dollars for an app you use every day is too much to spend, it probably isn't worth much more.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kumquat posted:

If you value your time at $0/hour.
If you refuse to pay for an app then clearly you value everyone's time at $0/hour.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Because using a free alternative is totally ripping off the poor hard working android developer. Just because someone is using a free alternative that might fit their needs just fine doesn't mean they're stealing from some dude that decided to charge a couple bucks for what is essentially the same thing. How dare people use free software.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

FlyingCheese posted:

Because using a free alternative is totally ripping off the poor hard working android developer. Just because someone is using a free alternative that might fit their needs just fine doesn't mean they're stealing from some dude that decided to charge a couple bucks for what is essentially the same thing. How dare people use free software.

No, they're not stealing, but when you say that you have been using a specific app for podcasting but the cool feature you want and are actively searching and asking the forums about is a couple dollars, you should be called out for being a cheap dickvein. Believe it or not, the free version of double twist is there to get people to pay for the paid version with more features. By being a cheap dickvein you consciously endorse people making poo poo software for free, and undermine the market.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
You gotta be pretty loving cheap to refuse to throw someone a buck or two for providing a service you already use and enjoy.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I have no idea who it was, but I want to thank whoever pointed me to this egg timer app. It has truly changed my life.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobication.EggTimerPro

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I am just going to use beyond pod. It looks like exactly what I am looking for. Thanks guys.

This wasn't a good decision on your part. The free version is a 7 day time trial. Now you either have to pay for it or find another app that probably doesn't work as well and set that one up all over again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I need some sort of timezone/world clock app because I am :downs: and can't figure out what time it is in MST when I am in CST, suggestions?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hadlock posted:

I need some sort of timezone/world clock app because I am :downs: and can't figure out what time it is in MST when I am in CST, suggestions?

Write on the back of your phone "SUBTRACT ONE HOUR".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hadlock posted:

What type of phone do you have? I know the Galaxy S3 does this by default (because I, too, have difficulty subtracting an hour to figure out what time it is in my co-workers world)

• Locked thread