Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I really wish that Sprint's website wasn't such dogshit... all I want to do is find out if I qualify for any price breaks now on getting a better phone instead of waiting another 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Heyyy, Sprint announces summer timeframe for Windows Phone 8 launch, partners with Samsung and HTC.

nmfree posted:

I really wish that Sprint's website wasn't such dogshit... all I want to do is find out if I qualify for any price breaks now on getting a better phone instead of waiting another 6 months.
You're looking for something that doesn't exist - don't blame the website for that.

You do have the option of calling Retentions and buying out the remainder of your contract, if the rep on the phone is feeling nice that day. Then you'd be able to use a phone upgrade.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Sprint owns the majority of Clear shares already. There is zero chance that Dish' offer will have any effect, I'm not sure what they are trying to do except throw a big gently caress YOU at Sprint, or possibly use it as leverage to get a good deal on a hosted spectrum arrangement.

From s4gru.com:
Approximately 410 updated sites today in: Chicago (77), Boston (57), Shentel (55), SF Bay (34), LA Metro (30), Kansas (25), DFW (12), Philadelphia Metro (11), Miami/West Palm (10), New York City (9), PR/VI (8), Tampa (8), Charlotte (6), Minnesota (6), Nashville (6), East Texas (5), Riverside/San Bernardino (5), South Bay (5), Houston (4), Indianapolis (4), Memphis (4), Orange County (4), Washington DC (4), Jacksonville (3), Orlando (3), Delaware (2), San Diego (2), Southern Jersey (2), Atlanta/Athens (1), Baltimore (1), Long Island (1), Lower Central Valley (1), New Orleans (1), North LA (1), Northern Jersey (1), Raleigh/Durham (1), San Antonio (1), Upstate NY Central (1), VT/NH/ME (1)

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Ender.uNF posted:

Sprint owns the majority of Clear shares already. There is zero chance that Dish' offer will have any effect, I'm not sure what they are trying to do except throw a big gently caress YOU at Sprint, or possibly use it as leverage to get a good deal on a hosted spectrum arrangement.

From s4gru.com:
Approximately 410 updated sites today in: Chicago (77), Boston (57), Shentel (55), SF Bay (34), LA Metro (30), Kansas (25), DFW (12), Philadelphia Metro (11), Miami/West Palm (10), New York City (9), PR/VI (8), Tampa (8), Charlotte (6), Minnesota (6), Nashville (6), East Texas (5), Riverside/San Bernardino (5), South Bay (5), Houston (4), Indianapolis (4), Memphis (4), Orange County (4), Washington DC (4), Jacksonville (3), Orlando (3), Delaware (2), San Diego (2), Southern Jersey (2), Atlanta/Athens (1), Baltimore (1), Long Island (1), Lower Central Valley (1), New Orleans (1), North LA (1), Northern Jersey (1), Raleigh/Durham (1), San Antonio (1), Upstate NY Central (1), VT/NH/ME (1)

Finally some Philly love. Yay! Now if only the Lehigh Valley would start some upgrades.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

NerdsMcGee posted:

Finally some Philly love. Yay! Now if only the Lehigh Valley would start some upgrades.

Offer Yocco's dogs to all installers.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
Can anyone recommend the Galaxy Note 2? I have no reason to stick with WiMax phones any longer. I'm still out in the field at tower sites and I think it could be great and it could be cumbersome. I'd like to read some first hand accounts.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

mophomanners posted:

Can anyone recommend the Galaxy Note 2? I have no reason to stick with WiMax phones any longer. I'm still out in the field at tower sites and I think it could be great and it could be cumbersome. I'd like to read some first hand accounts.

You will love it. If you're even considering it, go for it.

Yeah, it will seem large at first, but good news... you adapt to it pretty quick.

The phone is thin, obviously tall and wide, the battery is accurately described as a beast.

I use it with two hands now and then. For the times I do use it one handed, I activate the "one handed operation" options (dialer).

I don't use the S-Pen often, but it does work well and reviews back this up.

It has "media buddy" screens that enact when you go to do something special.

Plug headphones in? Brings up a special media central screen.
Pull out the S-Pen? Same thing, the phone brings up a special S-Pen themed "home page"

I cannot recommend this phone enough if you have the slightest inkling you would want one.

Edit: WARNING - All other phones will look like toys after using the Note II :)

Krime fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 10, 2013

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Krime posted:

You will love it. If you're even considering it, go for it.

Yeah, it will seem large at first, but good news... you adapt to it pretty quick.

The phone is thin, obviously tall and wide, the battery is accurately described as a beast.

I use it with two hands now and then. For the times I do use it one handed, I activate the "one handed operation" options (dialer).

I don't use the S-Pen often, but it does work well and reviews back this up.

It has "media buddy" screens that enact when you go to do something special.

Plug headphones in? Brings up a special media central screen.
Pull out the S-Pen? Same thing, the phone brings up a special S-Pen themed "home page"

I cannot recommend this phone enough if you have the slightest inkling you would want one.

How do you carry it / does it fit in your pocket?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

mophomanners posted:

How do you carry it / does it fit in your pocket?

Since it is so thin, it fits perfectly in my dress slacks and jeans.

If you wear skinny or tight jeans you might think about keeping it in a jacket pocket, because that probably won't go so well.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
I echo everything Krime said. The phone is great. I wear jeans mostly and they fit without a problem in my front pocket.

You can set up the S Pen so that when you pull it out, the note app pops up. Great for taking quick notes.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Dearest Sprint thread,
Will there ever (read: soon pls) be another good Android phone on Sprint with a sub-4.5" screen??

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

bobula posted:

Dearest Sprint thread,
Will there ever (read: soon pls) be another good Android phone on Sprint with a sub-4.5" screen??

Sure, there are even some now like the macho the victory. I would say they are both good phones but definitely not flagship quality.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

bobula posted:

Dearest Sprint thread,

Not highest quality because the trend is now bigger phones so there's more screen real-estate.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Chaotic Flame posted:

Not highest quality because the trend is now bigger phones so there's more screen real-estate.

Also it keeps the cost of components down if you don't have to worry about size as much.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

mophomanners posted:

I'll also echo Krime and thenakedflip. The phone is phenomenal. I'm using Nova Launcher on it so I don't get the media buddy things Krime was talking about anymore, but I saw how those could be handy while I was messing with the stock launcher the first few days. You can bring up a quick s-note thing with the pen by double-tapping with the button held, and I use that a decent bit opposed to just having s-note come up automatically when I take out the pen. You can sorta get addicted to using the pen (not as many fingerprint smudges on the screen) and the gestures it has are handy. If you get a decent sized case for it, like even the Otterbox Commuter, it will seem large again, but you get used to it like before after a bit. It still fits in all my pockets well. It's really weird how much you get used to the size of it now that I think about it.

Also the split-screen feature where you can run two apps at once can be super handy. Was using it to send texts while watching youtube videos the other day. The list of apps that can do this is fairly limited, but it's enough to make it super handy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:sigh: I'm caught in the middle of a phone-upgrade dilemma. I'm still using the OG EVO 4G. Its been fine until recently, but I'm running out of space, and the display isn't unlocking after a night-long charge (buttons light up, but display stays dark).

My issue is that the GSIII is still $200 with a contract renewal. I tried like hell to get the 0.99 price at Thanksgiving, but kept getting the run-around. I'm going to need 3 phones, and I don't really feel like investing $600 in them when I could just buy them for $1000, and not have a contract. I'm considering just waiting until the new round of phones comes out in the spring/summer.

Are there any GSIII deals that I'm unaware of? I'm on EPRP if that matters at all.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

sharkytm posted:

:sigh: I'm caught in the middle of a phone-upgrade dilemma. I'm still using the OG EVO 4G. Its been fine until recently, but I'm running out of space, and the display isn't unlocking after a night-long charge (buttons light up, but display stays dark).

My issue is that the GSIII is still $200 with a contract renewal. I tried like hell to get the 0.99 price at Thanksgiving, but kept getting the run-around. I'm going to need 3 phones, and I don't really feel like investing $600 in them when I could just buy them for $1000, and not have a contract. I'm considering just waiting until the new round of phones comes out in the spring/summer.

Are there any GSIII deals that I'm unaware of? I'm on EPRP if that matters at all.

Well, if you couldn't get the $0.99 price match, you still could have gotten them for the advertised $50. As for deals, though, EPRP means you're buying from sprint, so there's no such thing as 'deals you're unaware of' -- their price is the price.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm due for an upgrade in 2 weeks and my dilemma is thus, do I wait for GSIV phones to come out or do I just say gently caress it and get the Note II?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Giblet posted:

Sure, there are even some now like the macho the victory. I would say they are both good phones but definitely not flagship quality.

I considered the Victory, but it's not something I'd lock myself into another two years of contract for, so I guess I'm stuck waiting for something I actually want rather than settle for. I want something that's as rad as my Evo was when it came out. I also need something that actually has aftermarket rom support and all that and it looks like there ain't jack for the Mach or the Victory.

bobula fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 10, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Unless you're certain the Note 2 is what you want I'd say wait. You missed all the great deals from the holidays, so if you have to pay 'full price' may as well wait for the shiny new stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As it turned out my account was eligible for a full upgrade with no early fees so I went ahead and did that and left with a Galaxy S3. Now to spend way too long playing with my new phone.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

WoG posted:

Well, if you couldn't get the $0.99 price match, you still could have gotten them for the advertised $50. As for deals, though, EPRP means you're buying from sprint, so there's no such thing as 'deals you're unaware of' -- their price is the price.

I couldn't get anyone to actually sell me a phone of any kind. No matter which department I called, seemingly no one could touch my account. Tele sales was so overloaded with callers that it wouldn't even put me on hold, it just hung up on me.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

UnbornApple posted:

Unless you're certain the Note 2 is what you want I'd say wait. You missed all the great deals from the holidays, so if you have to pay 'full price' may as well wait for the shiny new stuff.

I hope it goes on sale soon my EVO3d has a funky echo and a crackling ear speaker

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

mophomanners posted:

I hope it goes on sale soon my EVO3d has a funky echo and a crackling ear speaker

I don't know what's going on sale but when I was inside a Sprint store today they were actively working on changing their displays for the upcoming sale, I would guess next week?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Totally TWISTED posted:

I don't know what's going on sale but when I was inside a Sprint store today they were actively working on changing their displays for the upcoming sale, I would guess next week?

The 11th is just a planogram reset. Aka, holiday stuff comes down. Nothing major in this reset.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
249 @ amazon is the best I've seen currently, how good of a deal did I miss out on?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Does everyone's data usage say "Sprint 3G Data" or does that seriously mean I can't connect to an LTE tower if I ever find one?

Also I guess I don't know why it says 0 minutes used...I've made plenty of calls.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 12, 2013

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I think minutes only count to land lines and not in the evening.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

UnbornApple posted:

Does everyone's data usage say "Sprint 3G Data" or does that seriously mean I can't connect to an LTE tower if I ever find one?

Also I guess I don't know why it says 0 minutes used...I've made plenty of calls.

I don't live in a 4G area, but I suspect that 3G and 4G data would be separated on the page. Since you don't have any 4G data, none shows up.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

UnbornApple posted:

it must depend on the person or Sprint maybe forgot to enable 4G data on your plan?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Weird. I have an LTE phone, and live in an area that's rolling out LTE now (Twin Cities), so I guess I'm calling Sprint.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Click on See All Usage and see if it lists your 0kb of 4G Data. I can't even find that snippet you posted on my account. I can only see usage in the usage section, but I'm also on a family plan.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Ah, I was able to find more detailed usage info. It breaks it down to 3G, 3G Roaming, and 4G. Says I used 2,257KB of 4G, must have stumbled onto an LTE site briefly. Odd they break it down like that. How long until you think they do unlimited 3G and metered 4G?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They already meter it by way of piss poor LTE coverage :v:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

UnbornApple posted:

How long until you think they do unlimited 3G and metered 4G?

If they start tiers for data they'll hemorrhage customers. It's one of the few advantages they have as a carrier. That and the GV integration keeps me as a customer despite years of poo poo 3g.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

If they start tiers for data they'll hemorrhage customers. It's one of the few advantages they have as a carrier. That and the GV integration keeps me as a customer despite years of poo poo 3g.

Yeah I doubt they would have to worry about capping 4G for a while, probably not until they have the network built out and it really starts to get overloaded (if it does that).

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Just got Sprint to change my EPRP plan to SERO Premium (I used to have SERO). They did it on my first attempt through live chat. The CSR I talked to was hesitant but if you keep pushing they'll eventually do it. Here's the chat log in case anyone who got screwed out of their SERO plan over the OG EVO wants to try to get it back:

[CSR]: You are currently on the Everything Plus 500, correct?

You: I am currently on the Everything Plus Referral 500, yes.

[CSR]: After reviewing the account I am showing that you were on the Sero 500 plan but changed to your current plan on 6/2010. There is a record from 6/2010 indicating that the plan was changed per request. Since the plan was willingly change off of then Sero plan I will not be able to change the plan to Sero Premium. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

You: Correct, I had my account changed on that date from SERO 500 to EPRP 500 in order to use the EVO 4G which had just been released. At the time SERO Premium was not avaliable so I had no choice but to change my plan in order to use the phone. Why are you not able to change my plan to SERO Premium?

[CSR]: The Sero Premium plan was available in 2010. Where did you get the Evo?

You: I ordered the EVO the day it was released through Sprint's website. I tried to purchase it in the store but was told that at the time the phone came out you could not use a 4G device on any SERO plan and that I would have to go online to order it and change my plan to EPRP or a regular account.

[CSR]: I do understand your concern regarding this issue. Since there is a record indicating that the plan was requested to be changed off of Sero I will not be able to change the plan back to Sero. If the plan was changed in error then it can be changed back but since it has been removed from Sero for almost 2 years I cannot change the plan back to Sero. I do apologize for any inconvenience.

You: I was never informed by anyone that I would be unable to revert back to SERO when the plan was changed. I have been a loyal sprint customer for a fair amount of time and have never had any issues like this. I had a SERO plan before so I do not understand why my plan can't be changed back.

[CSR]: The plan cannot be changed back since the plan was not changed in error. The record on 6/2010 shows that it was agreed that the plan would be changed off of Sero. Sero plans are expired plans. Once the plan is changed off of Sero the plan cannot be added back unless it was changed as a result of an error which the record shows that the plan change was not in error. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

[CSR]: I know your time is valuable and I would like to assist you in resolving any questions you have. Would you like to continue chatting with me today?

You: Again, I was never told by anyone at sprint that my SERO plan would become "expired" if I changed it. I know for a fact that former SERO account holders have been able to go from EPRP to SERO Premium. Is there a supervisor avaliable whom you can consult with or that I may speak with?

[CSR]: Let me see if there is a supervisor who can further assist. One moment please.

You: Ok

[CSR]: I have found a supervisor who will be happy to assist you. Please remain online while I connect you to her.

You: Thank you

You are being transferred, please hold...
[Supervisor] enters chat

[Supervisor]: Thank you for waiting. I understand you requested a supervisor, my name is ___. Please allow me to review your chat notes with the previous agent.

You: Okay.

[Supervisor]: Thank you for waiting I do see that you were on Sero in 2010 and I apologize you were given a small piece of misinformation, we did get the Sero Premium in 2010 however it wasn't until October of 2010. I'll be more than happy to change you back and I can start that with your next bill cycle.

You: Thank you, that would be wonderful! Just to clarify, how much will my monthly bill be following the changes?

[Supervisor]: I'm sorry one more moment while I ensure plan change goes thru.

You: No problem.

[Supervisor]: Thank you again for holding I do have your plan changed to the Serp Premium 500 minute plan your normal mrc for that plan will be about $55 with tax.

[Supervisor]: Sorry I misspelled Sero

You: Okay that is perfect. Thank you so very much!

[Supervisor]: I will also send you an email confirmation of the plan change if you would like.

You: That would be great.

[Supervisor]: Okay you will see that within the next few minutes. Do you have any other questions or concerns I can help you with today?

You: That takes care of everything

[Supervisor]: Thank you for choosing Sprint, you have a great day.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I no longer am on Sprint's service. I ported my number to Google Voice this past Saturday and Sprint's site says I have no phone, bill, or number associated with my account. However, it's also not saying I have an ETF, I don't know what's going on with that.

My contract would have ended in March and I got the Nexus S back in June 2011 so I should have an ETF of $50. My bill would have been given to me this Saturday for $84.70. Since I haven't finished my previous month, would some of that money go into the ETF, making the ETF smaller or how does that work? I did read somewhere about a credit being issued if you leave before a billing cycle is up or something.

Has anyone had anything like this happen?

It's been about a week or so now and I've still got nothing in either e-mail or mail from Sprint on what I need to do.

The site still looks the same. The phone no longer connects to Sprint so I just have it in Airplane Mode with Wi-Fi on as a testing device.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I would also like to know what happens when you port your Sprint number into Google Voice. I'm still under contract but plan to pay off the ETF and go prepaid in a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

blargle posted:

I would also like to know what happens when you port your Sprint number into Google Voice. I'm still under contract but plan to pay off the ETF and go prepaid in a month or so.

Same here. I've got a cell phone number I'd like to keep since I've had it for over 10 years now, but at the same time I've got an awesome GV number that ends in 0001; and my wife's in 0011.

I'm not opposed to just swapping numbers around either.

I'm guessing the easiest way is to wait for my contract to end and:
1. Port my Sprint number (the one I've had forever) to a second Google account.
2. Make a new line on my Sprint account and port in my GV number for that phone number

Right?