Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gently caress. yes.

after almost a full year away league play due to injury/surgery, our team is signing up for Spring/Summer league at DU.

My knee's still jobbed, but hell if I'm missing a fourth straight season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My team captain just announced that we're disbanding the team at the end of the season. 90% of us started in the LTP class and have been playing together ever since. Pretty disappointing, but I could see it coming ever since we switched to Monday nights. We've been struggling to get 8 skaters almost every game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My team captain just announced that we're disbanding the team at the end of the season. 90% of us started in the LTP class and have been playing together ever since. Pretty disappointing, but I could see it coming ever since we switched to Monday nights. We've been struggling to get 8 skaters almost every game.

Is it a case of the league switching to Mondays or can you maybe take the mantle of captain and take the team to Sundays?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The day change was because we moved up from Bronze to Silver B after last season. So unless we all drop back down to Bronze, which I'm sure everyone would love, we can't go back to Sundays.

I already found another team that I've played with before, but a lot of the other guys are trying to keep a core together and keep the team going.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Well, good luck then Zett.

Oh, in other news, one of my Canadian buddies said he got a Stealth at "Sport Mart" for like 65$. I tried ordering one off the website, but apparently they have no online store.

So any of you Canadians should check it out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I stopped at a new Timmy's on the way to work and discovered a Sport Mart I did not know existed, so I will! :tipshat:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HZ how long have you guys been playing?

Breaking up the band is the worst. We are bored in the league we're playing in but keep playing in it just to keep the team together. I think they're finally going to let us move up this year.

Also Pleads hit me up. I want in in on this duty free Stealth action

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

3 years. We've had a few people come and go, but it's been the same team pretty much the whole time. It's crazy how much we've improved since none of us could barely stand on skates back then.

What's cool is that I've been playing with my center for 2 years, and we're both going to the same team and will be on the same line again.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

Also Pleads hit me up. I want in in on this duty free Stealth action

Indeed, if this is a solid lead, I want in on this sweet Stealth action too.

I have a feeling it was a clerk error, but we'll see. The story was that he saw the stealth with a $180 label on it, but they were having a huge sale. Apparently, they're having a 30% off sale, but the guy sold it to him for 65 and change.

So good luck!

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 10, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Easton Stealth 65S II for $70+tax after the discount (originally $99.99 so maybe a different model than your friend). They had Hall and Iginla curves that I saw, right-handed. Didn't check the lefties. Selection was not too stellar but there were a few left.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pleads posted:

Easton Stealth 65S II for $70+tax after the discount (originally $99.99 so maybe a different model than your friend). They had Hall and Iginla curves that I saw, right-handed. Didn't check the lefties. Selection was not too stellar but there were a few left.

Hm. I'll ask him, but I was under the impression that it was the top Stealth with the way he said the tag said $160-ish. I htink he just got lucky and it got rung up wrong.

Sorry dudes. :smith:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Yeah, I did not see any RS or whatever the top one is. Still though, 30% off and I need a new stick, so I will be swinging back there tomorrow before my game.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thank Pleads but I am going to pass. You should buy two though so when United breaks your first one in just under 2 weeks you'll have a backup!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If I bring any stick to Lake Placid it will just be my half-decade old backup. Because I won't mind abandoning it in a trash can if they try to charge baggage for it on the way back.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Well, I'm glad to have at least been of *some* help, sorry to get your hopes up y'all!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Practicing breakout drill today during S&P at lunch, I went full speed into the boards trying to get my back up against it for the pass.

It hurt. A lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still haven't figured out how to handle the boards. On one hand I want to get that stupid puck, but on the other I really want to finish the evening not sore. I also really don't want to tangle with someone else and injure him.

So I tend to pull up and just avoid them. :geno:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

I still haven't figured out how to handle the boards. On one hand I want to get that stupid puck, but on the other I really want to finish the evening not sore. I also really don't want to tangle with someone else and injure him.

Well the drill we were trying to work was so that the D could just scuff it along the boards, and I'm right up against them. Capt' was trying to encourage the wings (i.e. me) to put our backs to the boards, and our skate right up against it to kick the puck out to our stick for an easy pass to the C.

When I pivoted around after going full speed up to (near) the dot, I guess I just assumed I was going to soft land into the boards a lot nicer.....

It went away after a little bit, but goddamned I mustve hit that lip where the boards end and glass begins with my side because gently caress.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I also may get kicked back to D soon... :smith: I can't skate backwards very well at all (see: barely), I am going to be a complete liability back there!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

Make sure your hip hits first and you should be fine.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Finally got that new title, eh D C? :laugh:

Bought a 65S II 85 flex Hall curve, giving it a shot tonight. Here's hoping for some lasers.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pleads posted:

Finally got that new title, eh D C? :laugh:

Bought a 65S II 85 flex Hall curve, giving it a shot tonight. Here's hoping for some lasers.

Great isnt it? happened same day as the ban.

Anyone want a slightly used right handed Mako?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

I also may get kicked back to D soon... :smith: I can't skate backwards very well at all (see: barely), I am going to be a complete liability back there!

Honestly, once you get the hang of it, skating backwards is hella easier than skating forwards (bloody gently caress, did I just say "hella"?). Playing D rocks.

I just got a text to sub in for a game tonight. Hell yes I will be there!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

So the 65S is like half as light as any stick I have ever used. I got stick lifted a whole bunch when I normally wouldn't have. On the plus side it's nice and flexy and the shots I took seemed pretty decent. The lightness also helped prevent too much fatigue, because:

We had 6 skaters, then early in the second our best player was going down the wing, got taken out by a defenseman, and went sliding into the boards. He did something to his shoulder, likely a separation, and had to leave the game. He went to the hospital while we finished the game with 5 skaters and lost 5-0 to the #1 team in the division we just moved up in to. They passed like motherfuckers, it was above and beyond any team we've played so far where it's normally a rushing offense. These guys would set up in the zone and pretty much pass around us at will as we mostly tried to stay in position and avoid skating too much.

I am tired as balls, and I got robbed on a mostly-open net because the goalie just got the top of his pad on my shot and it bounced up and fluttered past the far post.

Good conditioning for 4v4 pond hockey, though! Going to try to make every drop-in I can between now and the trip to help get used to long shifts and minimal team structure :haw:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Honestly, once you get the hang of it, skating backwards is hella easier than skating forwards (bloody gently caress, did I just say "hella"?). Playing D rocks.

I just got a text to sub in for a game tonight. Hell yes I will be there!

Backwards crossover quick starts are pretty much the most baller move in hockey.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads posted:

Good conditioning for 4v4 pond hockey, though! Going to try to make every drop-in I can between now and the trip to help get used to long shifts and minimal team structure :haw:

Yeah I will have played 3 games in the past 6 weeks when the tournament starts. Holidays + bye weeks + off times between seasons have ruined everything. I'm going to skate terribly so get ready!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

Yeah I will have played 3 games in the past 6 weeks when the tournament starts. Holidays + bye weeks + off times between seasons have ruined everything. I'm going to skate terribly so get ready!

Exact same here.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I hit Charlotte Tuesday and will be waiting on the movers to deliver my stuff so I can hit the ice again. Is it retarded that Im going south to get more ice time than I can in New England?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hey, another NC hockey goon, sweet! There are a bunch of rinks in the Charlotte area (which I guess you've already investigated). The pro shop to go to is Five Hole Sports -- I think it's over near the TWC Arena where the Checkers play. You'll have to let me know if you ever make it up to the Raleigh area.

Good luck on the move!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Heya Zamboni_Rodeo, I have been looking, actually Ive been looking over all my hobbies in NC and Hockey is one that looks to be improving with the move. Up here there's 2 rinks close to where I live but they have mostly afternoon pickup which I can only get to when I take days off, and no stick and puck. The one rink that has night pickup gets more sparse during the winter months. My place in NC is right near the Pineville Ice House and Extreme ice isn't too far away too. There seems to be steady night pickup and Sunday stick and pucks listed on their web pages. Also going to take some moving $$ and join a league finally, as soon as I figure out what division I fit in. As for Raleigh Ill def need to come up when the B's are in town, Im glad hockey is back.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think I am going to pick up a cheap Tron Hockey half shield tomorrow for Pond Hockey.

Might as well go all in and get it tinted, right? I mean we'll be playing outside right...

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

I think I am going to pick up a cheap Tron Hockey half shield tomorrow for Pond Hockey.

Might as well go all in and get it tinted, right? I mean we'll be playing outside right...

I'm staying with my concussion-maker.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Ha, I was thinking of doing the exact same for Colorado. I should get them for my whole team as a joke.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

14.99 at Tron, 24.99 for smoked, it's a lot better than other brands. I'm sure like most Tron poo poo it'll be lovely but its for 4 games

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

sellouts posted:

14.99 at Tron, 24.99 for smoked, it's a lot better than other brands. I'm sure like most Tron poo poo it'll be lovely but its for 4 games

It's actually not bad. The only thing I don't like about it is that the spacers are individual instead of the two on the side being one piece of plastic

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Hey, another NC hockey goon, sweet! There are a bunch of rinks in the Charlotte area (which I guess you've already investigated). The pro shop to go to is Five Hole Sports -- I think it's over near the TWC Arena where the Checkers play. You'll have to let me know if you ever make it up to the Raleigh area.

Good luck on the move!

Close! The Five Hole Sports shop here in Charlotte is actually in Indian Trail at the Extreme Ice Center where the Checkers train/practice. Its a great facility (just started their Hockey U program actually).

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

D C posted:

Great isnt it? happened same day as the ban.

Anyone want a slightly used right handed Mako?

I'd be interested, what's the curve and flex? I'm assuming you're talking the Mako-Mako and not the M-whatever Mako.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

cenzo posted:

It's actually not bad. The only thing I don't like about it is that the spacers are individual instead of the two on the side being one piece of plastic

My Bauer shield is the exact same.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cenzo posted:

Glad to hear it. HockeyTron is a weird store. It is amazingly large, has weird corporate offices around the top I think, but not a ton of selection.

I got the S30. S40 "Aviator" shield is a weird size, it is very short and even the guys working there were like "Yeah, the S30 is short, the S40, if you wear your helmet slightly high, is basically useless". They didn't have the S50 in store and online it's for preorder by Nov 14.

Lots of little poo poo in the store like they were out of single roll shin guard tape (again, how), but sold packs of 3 or packs of 1 white cloth tape, 2 black cloth tape, and 2 shin guard rolls. The guy wouldn't break one of those open to sell a single roll of shinguard and put the rest as individuals back on the individual roll rack. I... don't know. That's gotta be a large margin piece of product.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of the quality of a lot of their stuff but they did a good job with the jersey customization.

Simple number + single color custom front logo was ~$85 for 6. I provided blank jerseys at around $35 each, so for ~$50 each we have these with no minimum purchase. About as cheap as it gets with so few ordered.

Also their Tron brand one piece sticks are loving weird. They are light but just feel weird to me. I dunno.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:fap:

Can't wait to wear this all weekend and get blasted.