Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Aaaaand there it is.

Best update. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Okay, what the gently caress is this poo poo now?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Hussie saw the hornet's nest, got his best kicking shoes on, and just went sprinting at it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Run, Jake. RUN.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
And to think I was just about to go to bed. :allears:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

oh my god this is the BEST

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
Hussie for president

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I can't wait to read the news when Tumblr's servers literately catch on fire.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
To think, the pages of discussion we had over whether or not this was The Dumbest Thing that Homestuck has ever done. The fools we used to be.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Speaking as a Caucasian dude? Yeah, it's about that great. I heartily encourage being Caucasian to just about everyone.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's hard being Caucasian. It's hard and nobody understands.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Guys, this is not funny and in really bad taste. This type of profiling is very hurtful and extremely raysis. I consider myself triggered.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Hussie throws a curveball, hitting us straight in the face, ricocheting off and knocking a bucket of water off a door onto our heads, as we stumble backwards into a pile of whoopie cushions before we realize that the entire ceiling is one coconut creme pie and it descends on us, killing the collective fan base instantly.

He maxes out his Prankster's gambit and all of North America explodes from the exchange.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I love being Caucasian. Being Caucasian is an experience I would highly recommend to everybody.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

tinaun posted:

CuddlyZombie posted:

oh my god this is the BEST

Quoting because this really is the best way to sum up what just happened.

I have lived a full life and I'm gonna go kill myself now. Wish me luck!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I seriously can't believe where this is going.

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I don't get why everyone is so scared of Trickster Mode[tm]. I love it just for moments like this! Not only is it breaking the game, it's breaking Tumblr!

Never change, Hussie. Never change. :allears:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

tinaun posted:

Indeed, Homestuck has once again proved that sleep can go gently caress itself.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
If anyone could be so kind as to post screenshot and links of the coming tumblr explosion, I would be eternally grateful. I don't keep tabs on crazies anymore. :allears:

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Figures that I'd be in the minority here but boy howdy is that a stupid update that isn't funny at all!

A shame since I'd been enjoying this interlude immensely without the weird race poo poo that Tumblr was bringing up until he literally forced the discussion into the story in the most flippant and condescending way possible.

Ah yes, the top comedy has been reached.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is funny, but it won't make a lick of sense to the archive reader in a few years, when no one remembers the SJWs.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

FutureSushi posted:

Figures that I'd be in the minority here but boy howdy is that a stupid update that isn't funny at all!

A shame since I'd been enjoying this interlude immensely without the weird race poo poo that Tumblr was bringing up until he literally forced the discussion into the story in the most flippant and condescending way possible.

What are you talking about? Sacrificing coherency for the sake of passive-aggressively sniping at your readers for expecting you to be consistent is the epitome of laughs.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

yaoi prophet posted:

What are you talking about? Passive-aggressively sniping at your readers for expecting you to be consistent is the epitome of laughs.

Yeah, honestly I was laughing far more at what I feel Tumblr will do in light of this than the joke itself.

Of course, I have a number of grievances with Tumblr to begin with, so the prospect of pissing on them and pissing them off is something I look forward to anyway....

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

FutureSushi posted:

This update is Hussie yelling "Are you not entertained" at the entire fanbase(but mostly tumblr).

tFUCKINGmesis
Oct 5, 2011

FutureSushi posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. It was good for a laugh in the first split second, the kind where you laugh because you just don't know what the gently caress is happening.

I'm really not sure how he's going to pull this into that whole "story" thing everyone keeps talking about, though. It really felt like he was actually going somewhere with it up until the last second, when instead he... well, did this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

FutureSushi posted:

:getout:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Ablative posted:

Yeah, honestly I was laughing far more at what I feel Tumblr will do in light of this than the joke itself.

It's still a lovely thing to do. Saying "all the characters are aracial, they can be whatever you want!" and then going "whoops except now this one character's white" and then sniping at people who dare to criticize you for it is something I'd expect a 17-year-old deviantArt user to do. He's basically reacting to this in the most immature way possible, and saying you're laughing at the response of some Tumblr boogeyman doesn't excuse the fact that he did some bad stuff that they're right to be upset about.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Making all his characters white was a minor issue at worst. I like representation in media, but he made a bunch of white kids. Sure, why not, I'm not overly bothered.

But he just had to set up a multi-step baiting of the people who would DARE be saddened about a lack of representation, putting every single person under the absurd banner of social justice warriors and seemingly giving them a nod with the whole aracial characters bit. Except he's made it increasingly clear that that too was just a gag and it's just kind of insulting.

None of the problems raised bother me particularly, but rather it's the fact that he acts like a child with these stupid "rebuttals" to the vocal and harsh minority of these people addressed to the entire community of people who dare raise an issue with his comic. And the BEST part is that it will do nothing but galvanize his other fans against these people and against any sort of criticism they can level. Like how the concept of trigger warnings (which are misused by an ACTUALLY PRETTY SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE and are meant to block content that would cause an intensely averse reaction in someone) is a loving punchline to literally millions of people who don't know their actual purpose.

All these passive-aggressive or directly aggressive snipes within a story that could and has been extremely funny on its own merits that weren't completely mean-spirited.

It's just exhausting and frustrating to see him do this time and time again.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

I can't help but read this post and think that you are actually the butt end of the joke here.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Just a friendly reminder to everyone gettin' ready to be mad as gently caress that Hussie has sanctioned plenty of official merch depicting the characters as nonwhite, so he clearly does not give a poo poo. This isn't about representation, this is about people who lose their poo poo over stupid things.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

FutureSushi posted:

Making all his characters white was a minor issue at worst. I like representation in media, but he made a bunch of white kids. Sure, why not, I'm not overly bothered.

He didn't, though. He made 'trickster mode' Jane white. Everyone else is ghost-white.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think the "He's mocking everyone who takes this seriously" angle would play a lot better if Hussie hadn't himself taken a fairly aggressive tone back when he was explaining/defending the "a-racial" business.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

FutureSushi posted:

But he just had to set up a multi-step baiting of the people who would DARE be saddened about a lack of representation, putting every single person under the absurd banner of social justice warriors and seemingly giving them a nod with the whole aracial characters bit. Except he's made it increasingly clear that that too was just a gag and it's just kind of insulting.

None of the problems raised bother me particularly, but rather it's the fact that he acts like a child with these stupid "rebuttals" to the vocal and harsh minority of these people addressed to the entire community of people who dare raise an issue with his comic. And the BEST part is that it will do nothing but galvanize his other fans against these people and against any sort of criticism they can level. Like how the concept of trigger warnings (which are misused by an ACTUALLY PRETTY SMALL NUMBER OF PEOPLE and are meant to block content that would cause an intensely averse reaction in someone) is a loving punchline to literally millions of people who don't know their actual purpose.

All these passive-aggressive or directly aggressive snipes within a story that could and has been extremely funny on its own merits that weren't completely mean-spirited.

It's just exhausting and frustrating to see him do this time and time again.

Seriously. I remember how a friend of mine (the same friend that get me into PS and then HS) was actually pretty happy that the author seemed to realize through discussions why race seemed to matter to fans and canonically said the characters depicted as aracial, and was pretty happy to see a Rose that looked like her in kickstarter stuff, and felt pretty happy that he seemed to listen.

welp.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
While I literally :lol:'d, I agree that this update is both kind of petty and makes no sense without outside context.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

jonjonaug posted:

I can't help but read this post and think that you are actually the butt end of the joke here.

Pretty much. Especially if you think the 'trigger warning' misuse is a minority since it's not something that would come into normal conversation with people without traumatic experiences but is basically mentioned all the time on tumblr. The fact that some of it gets applied to chicken wings and hot dogs is just the peak absurdity. It gets used all the time in lieu of 'this bothers me I don't like to see it' instead of the actual 'just seeing this sent me into a panic attack or reliving my traumatic past experience and I had to throw up'.

Also Hussie has never been interested in rebutting anything he does what he likes no matter what.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

How can you not see how this line of argument you're going with is reductive and childish? Tumblr isn't a monolithic entity that freaks out in unison, the vast majority are people who agree with you, and it's not unreasonable to suggest that not only not taking someone's concerns seriously but openly mocking them is a lovely thing to do?

Comic posted:

Pretty much. Especially if you think the 'trigger warning' misuse is a minority since it's not something that would come into normal conversation with people without traumatic experiences but is basically mentioned all the time on tumblr. The fact that some of it gets applied to chicken wings and hot dogs is just the peak absurdity. It gets used all the time in lieu of 'this bothers me I don't like to see it' instead of the actual 'just seeing this sent me into a panic attack or reliving my traumatic past experience and I had to throw up'.

Also Hussie has never been interested in rebutting anything he does what he likes no matter what.

Have you ever been to Tumblr because this sounds like the same strawman bullshit that everyone spews about Tumblr.

FutureSushi fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 12, 2013

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

SirDippingSauce posted:

Seriously. I remember how a friend of mine (the same friend that get me into PS and then HS) was actually pretty happy that the author seemed to realize through discussions why race seemed to matter to fans and canonically said the characters depicted as aracial, and was pretty happy to see a Rose that looked like her in kickstarter stuff, and felt pretty happy that he seemed to listen.

welp.

He didn't change that here though?

Like, literally, he didn't. They are still aracial.

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax
When it comes to defending the internet from tumblr weirdos, Hussie is there to save us.

He is our white knight. :allears:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

mr. stefan posted:

Just a friendly reminder to everyone gettin' ready to be mad as gently caress that Hussie has sanctioned plenty of official merch depicting the characters as nonwhite, so he clearly does not give a poo poo. This isn't about representation, this is about people who lose their poo poo over stupid things.
This is pretty much my favorite kind of comedy, thus why I laughed quite hard and loud at this update. SJWs should spend their efforts on something useful instead of the endless chasm that is ~tumblr~ so riling them up to expend their useless energy is, to me, a fantastic way to make a joke and do something nice for the Internet at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

MrBims posted:

He didn't change that here though?

Like, literally, he didn't. They are still aracial.

Can you come up with one good reason why trickster mode would make someone white that isn't racist in and of itself?

I'm trying to think of good ways for him to resolve this and the only one I can think of is that he just goes and makes literally everybody other than Trickster Jane some kind of PoC.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 12, 2013