Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm kind of wondering whether people would count this as better or worse if Jane being a PoC prior to Trickster Mode shenanigans as she is in much of the official artwork suddenly became canon within the comic.

ETA:

Reene fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'd find this a lot funnier if it wasn't encouraging the worst elements of the fanbase to be even huger shits.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, there are those who are rehashing the old race argument, those who are mocking the preceding group, and those who are just waiting for the two preceding groups to quiet down.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
On one hand, I think the Tumblr-baiting is getting kind of overdone and over-obvious at this point, but on the other hand it's also kind of funny. So this is funny, but i'm also ambivalent about the implications and motivations behind it?

Ignoring those things though, i guess this is turning out funnier than i expected, and i never should have doubted Hussie.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, there are those who are rehashing the old race argument, those who are mocking the preceding group, and those who are just waiting for the two preceding groups to quiet down.

I just don't think that Hussie needs to be throwing even indirect support behind the kind of belligerent assholes that treat the idea of minority characters as an imposition on their precious fandom. It's like, ok I get it haha yes you have tilted the hell out of that tumblr windmill, Huss. Great, super, loving horrorshow now will you get on with things.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I found this funny.
Now I'm going to shut up because nothing I say could possibly make this train of discussion any better.
EDIT: UPDATE!
OH BOY HERE WE GOOO
TRICKSTER JAKE IS IMMINENT

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 12, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Seoinin posted:

I just don't think that Hussie needs to be throwing even indirect support behind the kind of belligerent assholes that treat the idea of minority characters as an imposition on their precious fandom. It's like, ok I get it haha yes you have tilted the hell out of that tumblr windmill, Huss. Great, super, loving horrorshow now will you get on with things.

The update's only been live for a few hours, the tumblr-baiting is wholly confined to a single page that has nothing else on it, and the preceding pages that went up at the same time also moved the conversation ahead (somewhat). I think it is a bit premature to be wishing for haste on the author's part.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Ablative posted:

Is there a smart way?

I thought that adding the A1 trolls was kind of smarter but now that I'm thinking about it that too was incredibly petty and pointless. So not really, no.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Can I just say that, even ignoring the race crap, the joke isn't even funny by itself? Because Jane was being hilarious right up until that point, and then it crashed like a duck with one wing. It doesn't make sense on its own. An archive reader or someone who isn't in on the whole tumblr-race thing is just gonna go "why did she say that, that's not funny." That's dumb.

Everything leading up to it was hilarious though.

Now I'm going back to lurking because nothing else I could say could contribute to this loving trainwreck of a conversation.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So, seems no Vriska panel redraw, but it seems a little similar to Kanaya's role in the Showdown x3. But she's already wearing glasses; what can Jake's glasses descend onto?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Jane. Jane why.

Re: the race stuff, I agree this isn't one of Hussie's brightest moments, I mean I understand mocking people who get their panties in a twist easily, but otherwise it wasn't actually humorous of pointful. Well, I suppose everyone can have their lovely moments in their work.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Deploy the Crocker is without a doubt the most satisfying panel in the last year if not the whole drat comic.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Well now how are you going to have babies with him, Jane?

Abelian Grape
Oct 14, 2012
Jake is engaging trickster mode too. What colour will his skin be :f5:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Honestly if you didn't do this, you aren't reading Homestuck correctly.

frozentreasure posted:

So, seems no Vriska panel redraw, but it seems a little similar to Kanaya's role in the Showdown x3. But she's already wearing glasses; what can Jake's glasses descend onto?
Probably right back onto Jake since he's about to go Trickster and fly into the air. Also they contain Jake's eyes. He'll need those back.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 12, 2013

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

DaveKap posted:

Honestly if you didn't do this, you aren't reading Homestuck correctly.

That's how she started before I moved my mouse onto the panel.

EDIT: ^^^ I was figuring that was just Jane replying to Jake's cry. I figured the fall would kill him and he'd go godtier.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 12, 2013

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Now they need to hit up Dirk, Dirk will then touch Arquis'es muscles, who will also go trickster, and Roxy will remain safe for the time being.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love Trickster Mode.

Abelian Grape posted:

Jake is engaging trickster mode too. What colour will his skin be :f5:

We already know the answer to that question.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oh God where did the juju go.

Oh God it's contagious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seoinin posted:

I'd find this a lot funnier if it wasn't encouraging the worst elements of the fanbase to be even huger shits.

This is the part that bothers me about it. I don't really care about Andrew's jokes, and I even found this pretty funny. But as I mentioned before, there are people out there in the fandom who are actually completely unabashedly racist, and this just gives them an excuse to be horrible in a specific way related to the comic.

On the other hand, this update implies that white people are maniacally insane, which I'm considerably more okay with.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I really hope Erisol will be the one to pick the Juju up from wherever Jane dropped it.

DaveKap posted:

Also they contain Jake's eyes. He'll need those back.
Where we're going, Jake won't need eyes to see :getin:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

The Deleter posted:

Can I just say that, even ignoring the race crap, the joke isn't even funny by itself? Because Jane was being hilarious right up until that point, and then it crashed like a duck with one wing. It doesn't make sense on its own. An archive reader or someone who isn't in on the whole tumblr-race thing is just gonna go "why did she say that, that's not funny." That's dumb.

Everything leading up to it was hilarious though.

Now I'm going back to lurking because nothing else I could say could contribute to this loving trainwreck of a conversation.

Yeah, to anyone not familiar with the tumblr controversy it just comes off as weird and disturbing. Like, in a different way than Trickster Jane is normally. To anyone who is familiar with the tumblr controversy it comes off as petty sniping.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Personally, I just think and hope that Hussie's going somewhere with all of this. I mean I'm sure he is, because he always is, but currently it just makes him look like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not the sprite edit I expected.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"Ahahah, Hussie is trolling his fanbase again. But that's an old joke he's revisiting, surely they're savvy to his ways now and won't take the bait?... Oh."

I don't think Hussie has ever been bothered about looking like an rear end in a top hat. He used to go with the handle of "Special Olympics" (trigger warning: ableism) and he created Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff to mock somebody who was asking for tips to improve his lovely "two gamers on a couch" webcomic.

OwlbearHug
Sep 14, 2011

I see you're not paying attention to me...
Eh, maybe I'm just not sensitive enough but I never saw an all white cast as something odd considering the author is white and you write what you know.

Now that I think about it I also thought it was sort of odd when pretty much everyone turned out to be bi.

More on topic I'm kinda excited to see this spread to the whole cast. Everyone. No exceptions.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

frozentreasure posted:

That's how she started before I moved my mouse onto the panel.

EDIT: ^^^ I was figuring that was just Jane replying to Jake's cry. I figured the fall would kill him and he'd go godtier.

:ssh: He's glowing now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cleretic posted:

Personally, I just think and hope that Hussie's going somewhere with all of this. I mean I'm sure he is, because he always is, but currently it just makes him look like a bit of an rear end in a top hat.
The simple endgame seems to be: revive the planets, trickster mode everyone temporarily(?) to get them to stop being nasty to each other, and getting enough of that element to alcehmize Zillyhoo.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I'm always going to be okay with Hussie's jabs at tumblr warriors as long as tumblr keeps reacting so hilariously to anything that offends them. And nothing does not offend them. :allears:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So the fan insert characters start directly affecting a character in the story and as a result she goes from aracial to a specific skin color. Just tossing that out there.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Last night's update: Hmm. Hussie, most of your fandom is already loving horrible, don't encourage/taunt them.

This morning's update: :allears:

(but no seriously Hussie you probably should have just let that one go)

Seoinin posted:

Yeah, I'd be laughing if it wasn't for this.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 12, 2013

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Personally I'm fine with all of it because if the super rule of "this is for archive readers" is the baseline than none of this matters as far as getting your sensibilities in a knot.

I don't read tumblr, know nothing of tumblr and really care not to know anything of it or what it does or thinking or the meta context of how it affects the comic.

I'm more curious how you stop someone in trickster mode since apparently engaging with them at all infects you. If Lord English gets infected (assumming he isn't somehow immune or isn't already), what does that do to a cherub with their weird psychology split, revive Caliope? Create little Cal's alternate ego to LE?

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
People keep on saying that the funniest part of the whole caucasian issue was the outrageously livid response from tumblr, but I haven't actually seen much of that. I follow quite a few homestuck blogs because I enjoy the speculation, and I gotta say that most people have reacted in a way no different to that of this thread - a whole 'why hussie, this was unnecessary and just brings back a stupid debate that nobody wants rehashed' kinda vibe. If people are supposed to be blowing gaskets and flipping lids left right and centre, I'm just not seeing it.

At this point it just seems like everyone is laughing at the tumblr boogieman without any reason.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm having to agree with what people have been saying - this is doing nothing but simply riling up people about a subject that Hussie has overlooked in the past for absolutely no reason than he could. I mean, him using Kankri was good and funny. This isn't.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

It's you

you are all the joke.

Abelian Grape
Oct 14, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

We already know the answer to that question.

I know we've been told that tricksters are canonically white, but it seems to me that going back on that and making Trickster Jake black is exactly the sort of thing Hussie would do. Just to see what happens.

A Bloody Crowbar
May 9, 2009

the irony of the situation is that i am an avid tumblrite and have seen more people go "gently caress u sjw huss u beautiful bastard" than people who are actually offended by this which is kind of telling imo

its all very childish and us vs them which hey ho i guess is the internet in a nutshell. who'd have thought

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

I don't really care about tumblr and the fandom as a whole really, I'm just glad Jane is finally doing something :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I really want is a conversation between Erisol and Trickster Jake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

black metal hugbox posted:

It's you

you are all the joke.
I look down at my hands and then up again and suddenly I am wearing a sweater because I was Kankri all along. Tiwst ending, smash cut to credits, directed by M Night Shyamalan.