Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

The very idea of going through this makes my back hurt. Victor is the exact kind of jerk I hate grappling with. The production is amazing. The execution is beautiful. The music is fantastic. It makes me want to quit my job and do more than two days a week. I don't have enough positive things to say about this.

I can't wait for episode 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Fair warning - I train with Garry, and therefore am not going to be even remotely objective regarding this thing.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Awesome video.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Ahahaa at Silvero getting so pissy about closed guard.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
That concept is really cool.

Pooned fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 6, 2013

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
is gengis con getting paid for this stuff yet

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

Fair warning - I train with Garry, and therefore am not going to be even remotely objective regarding this thing.

Is he always a cartwheel machine, or was that just a situational thing they focused on?

e: Victor is a clown and submission-only is the best thing

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Dude tapped out from frustration. Truly the greatest submission of the tournament.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Is he always a cartwheel machine, or was that just a situational thing they focused on?

Cartwheel pass is definitely a go-to for him. A lot of guys turtle out of it and back-taking is one of his major strengths.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Novum posted:

Dude tapped out from frustration. Truly the greatest submission of the tournament.

That was amazing.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Novum posted:

Did he not learn to swim/rotate against the thumb-finger opening?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Looks like he was banking on the brazillian 'piss and moan' technique. That part and back to back to back cartwheel guy were awesome.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
drat that was a wealth of cool moves! That calf slicer was just surgical, good plan and perfectly executed. But then the cartwheel-pass-back-takes seem like a great way to avoid that game entirely. And the frustration tap was really incredible, how does a person become so violently angry over fullguard? I would have liked to see Silvero throw that punch he was contemplating and get arm barred for it, seems like he tapped before he could realize that it was his own attitude that was limiting his options, not the loose hand control.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 7, 2013

Rids!
Aug 20, 2006

picture this if you will...
I really need to work on my cartwheels.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
First and last time i tried i planted my eye-socket into a dudes knee. Have fun!

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I wish I could cartwheel,even after a year+ I still can't cartwheel,so when I see guys doing cartwheel passes...:aaaaa: But never mind that poo poo here comes Sean Roberts.

Sean Roberts' calf slicer --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX60dIUVR4c

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Miching Mallecho posted:

I wish I could cartwheel,even after a year+ I still can't cartwheel,so when I see guys doing cartwheel passes...:aaaaa: But never mind that poo poo here comes Sean Roberts.

Sean Roberts' calf slicer --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX60dIUVR4c

I use this a lot as a counter to leg-drag passes. Even if you don't get the tap, as long as you get that arm in behind their knee you can usually reguard.

widunder
May 2, 2002
speaking of cornelius, this is some adorable poo poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yfz8Krpu0I&sns=em

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Submission (closed guard) is the best

I would have already DQ'd him for striking though

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

nemoulette posted:

speaking of cornelius, this is some adorable poo poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yfz8Krpu0I&sns=em

what's going on there, are they buddies having a fun match after the comp or something?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Looks like the got paired up against each other and are just loving around.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Awesome video; also can't wait for part 2. Given that, what was with the British guy? 'I'll take the smallest dude. It's unfair, someone picked on me! I'd beat him with an eight minute time limit.'

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Looks like two guys from Lloyd Irvin's are accused of raping a female training partner.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/7/dc-womans-memory-new-years-sexual-assault-hazy/

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 10, 2013

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
loving disgraceful. I hope they get hit with the harshest sentence available. Googling their names, you can find their facebook profiles blowing up with people calling for them being shanked, and competition videos too; looks like they were pretty good. But god drat, not only rape, but raping a teammate? Beyond disgusting.

Interesting that they should both come out of Lloyd Irvin, though, who has a pretty sketchy history himself.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-21/news/9004210056_1_irvin-two-men-young-woman

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

quote:

Before Mr. Schultz left, the woman recalled him saying, “I’m sorry. I’m a sick bastard,” court records say.

What the gently caress is seriously wrong with people. Such a bummer on the heels of that cooler, less rape-y Lloyd Irvin tourney vid.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Competing for the first time in the under 2 years experience division at a submission only tournament on February 3rd. Right now, I bounce from 225-228lbs (don't know why the bounce, but whenever I weigh myself at the gym, its in between that range. The two closest weight divisions in gi for me is 221lbs, and then >221lbs. Im 6'2, and got a bit of muscle from lifting, but got lots of bodyfat I could healthily lose. The weigh-in is an hour before the first fight. Can I healthily lose the weight in a less than a month without going full blown wrestling style cut?

The highest no-gi division is 216lbs, and the >216lbs so I think Ill settle for the highest weight category there, but I wouldnt mind avoiding the really really big guys since it is a month away.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

swagger like us posted:

Competing for the first time in the under 2 years experience division at a submission only tournament on February 3rd. Right now, I bounce from 225-228lbs (don't know why the bounce, but whenever I weigh myself at the gym, its in between that range. The two closest weight divisions in gi for me is 221lbs, and then >221lbs. Im 6'2, and got a bit of muscle from lifting, but got lots of bodyfat I could healthily lose. The weigh-in is an hour before the first fight. Can I healthily lose the weight in a month without going full blown wrestling style cut?

The highest no-gi division is 216lbs, and the >216lbs so I think Ill settle for the highest weight category there, but I wouldnt mind avoiding the really really big guys since it is a month away.

Yes. 221 is easily doable, even 216 is (to a lesser extent).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Losing 4-6 pounds in a month is easily doable, and if you don't quite make it cutting a pound or two of water isn't really going to affect you much, even for an hour-before weigh in.

taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...
Thanks in large part to this thread, and PSP in general, I am now practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Laselva MMA in Wichita, Kansas.

I've attended about three hours of class so far, and I am very much looking forward to sucking at everything for a long time. I am sore in places that I did not know could be sore. Also, I broke my pinky toe. In my first class.

There is a focus on competition and sport BJJ. Each class ends with organized sparring and then some time for free roll. The instructor, Marcio Laselva, is very helpful and willing to spend a lot of time with each student during the class.

I'm very excited to continue training. Thanks to all the posters who encourage each other. It was a great motivator for me to get off my rear end and go train. So far, I'm very glad that I did.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Awesome, soon you will be able to reap the greatest reward of all: seeing an uninformed grappling post and saying "Do you even train?" :smug:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

taladel posted:

Thanks in large part to this thread, and PSP in general, I am now practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Laselva MMA in Wichita, Kansas.

I've attended about three hours of class so far, and I am very much looking forward to sucking at everything for a long time. I am sore in places that I did not know could be sore. Also, I broke my pinky toe. In my first class.

There is a focus on competition and sport BJJ. Each class ends with organized sparring and then some time for free roll. The instructor, Marcio Laselva, is very helpful and willing to spend a lot of time with each student during the class.

I'm very excited to continue training. Thanks to all the posters who encourage each other. It was a great motivator for me to get off my rear end and go train. So far, I'm very glad that I did.

Awesome! Now stop posting up on your toes, you'll just keep breaking it. Tape it to the toe next to it and you'll be fine.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

taladel posted:

If this thread never accomplishes anything but this, it will have still been well worthwhile.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

TwistedNails posted:

Awesome! Now stop posting up on your toes

I do this too much.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I wrestled with kid yamamotos sister seiko this morning and she is really good at wrestling and im not!!!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

loving disgraceful. I hope they get hit with the harshest sentence available. Googling their names, you can find their facebook profiles blowing up with people calling for them being shanked, and competition videos too; looks like they were pretty good. But god drat, not only rape, but raping a teammate? Beyond disgusting.

Interesting that they should both come out of Lloyd Irvin, though, who has a pretty sketchy history himself.

http://articles.dailypress.com/1990-04-21/news/9004210056_1_irvin-two-men-young-woman

jesus loving christ

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
no see you just don't get it. he's not profiting off the time he raped somebody. he's using search engine optimization to drive hits to his website about rape prevention and sell more seminars by capitalizing on the increased search traffic created by the revelation that HE RAPED SOMEBODY

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
oh and also his students raped somebody, too

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Another foot in mouth moment was when Sean Roberts started whining about how all this rape stuff was taking away from all the stuff he achieved in the kumite. Sorry that the gang rape ruined your special moment Sean. Also Marcos Avellan is also doing himself no favors with his defense of Lloyd.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Yuns posted:

Also Marcos Avellan is also doing himself no favors with his defense of Lloyd.

lol, word, THE AVELLAN BROS. BATTLE THE GRACIES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Just to mention it, the kimura-grip hip throw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIiFMk4qOZM&t=33s in conjunction with the kimura back take https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiwK6Gc-53U produces a really smooth attack that's one fluid motion all the way from grip to sub, amazingly efficient and versatile.

E: Between that and the cartwheel pass back take I think I'm seeing the outline of a ridiculous strat emerging, where you can just hang out at range until you can grip and dive all the way into a RNC. :frogon:

Also, I just ran across this calf crush from back that seems pretty uh creative https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziB_CyYO90

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 15, 2013