Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

I don't understand how you guys are getting this to update - when I search for the app I see the application but nothing else. When I look in the App Store that last time it was updated was back in September and there's no update option.

I even re-installed - same problem.

Make sure the one you are downloading is by Nolan Waite, and not the one by C Henlin, which has :getin: as the icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ursine Asylum posted:

The only duration issues I've ever seen were mini wifi issues, and definitely aren't related to the size of the thread. And I have quite a few megathreads in my bookmarks.

No it's definitely slower with big threads I have confirmed it myself.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

obi_ant posted:

Are there any plans to implement PMs in the near future?
I believe that it's on the to-do list, yes.

Terminal Entropy posted:

Make sure the one you are downloading is by Nolan Waite, and not the one by C Henlin, which has :getin: as the icon.
This isn't as unlikely to be the source for confusion as the one I can't remember, which has the same picture and Home Screen title as the current app (this one has a slightly longer name when opened in iTunes, though).

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

I don't understand how you guys are getting this to update - when I search for the app I see the application but nothing else. When I look in the App Store that last time it was updated was back in September and there's no update option.

I even re-installed - same problem.

Do you have an older device with iOS 4? The newer version requires iOS 5.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

rekamso posted:

The update works great on my mini but my 4S with iOS 6.0.1 is broken still:

- The forums tab loads a list of forums but upon clicking a forum, the threads are empty (sometimes this results in a crash),
- Clicking on bookmarks always results in an immediate crash.
- I can't logout. If I hit "Log Out" I get the prompt and upon tapping "Log Out", the login screen appears and the app crashes. Reopening the app shows me as still logged in.

I deleted the app and then reinstalled making sure I got the right one, then logged in and reproduced all the above issues again.

If you get to the Settings screen, does it say Awful 1.9.2? I thought I'd fixed these issues.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

please respond posted:

No it's definitely slower with big threads I have confirmed it myself.

There's no reason I can think of that big threads would be slower than small threads, as we only go a page at a time. But I'll certainly take a look.

I do want to make the app faster, as it takes longer than I think it should. No timeline for anything, gotta actually measure it first and see what's slow.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

pokeyman posted:

There's no reason I can think of that big threads would be slower than small threads, as we only go a page at a time. But I'll certainly take a look.

I do want to make the app faster, as it takes longer than I think it should. No timeline for anything, gotta actually measure it first and see what's slow.

Reckon it has to load the links to each page for that page chooser thing.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I noticed the same thing where mine wouldnt update. I have the app with that icon but then I just went on the app store and got that one. Im guessing theres a difference and I have a super old version?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

please respond posted:

Reckon it has to load the links to each page for that page chooser thing.

I doubt it, the page chooser doesn't work that way.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Fists Up posted:

I noticed the same thing where mine wouldnt update. I have the app with that icon but then I just went on the app store and got that one. Im guessing theres a difference and I have a super old version?

Yeah probably. OHIO was the original maintainer of the app (which is probably your old one), and he handed over maintenance to pokeyman. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't let you just hand over the same app to a new developer, so pokeyman had to submit his own version. That's why there are two versions out there with the same icon (although I think OHIO's version is not on the app store now, if it's on your phone you obviously can keep it)

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008

pokeyman posted:

If you get to the Settings screen, does it say Awful 1.9.2? I thought I'd fixed these issues.

Nope, it says 1.9.1.

Wonder why the App store won't give me the newest version. :argh:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

rekamso posted:

Nope, it says 1.9.1.

Wonder why the App store won't give me the newest version. :argh:

I had this. Search for the app, then pick 'update' on its App Store page.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Oh poo poo, wrong thread,. Uhh, thanks for fixing the app!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
As a random suggestion, if the old maintainer is still contactable, it might be worth asking him to "submit" an update with a different icon (like a 1 vote :rimshot:) or take it off the store entirely, if possible. Or update the Awful app icon.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Speaking of the old app...

This is the second time I ended up with the old and new app. Not the max sii whatever app. I just have 2 awful's.

I dont know why. I dont remember downloading it twice, the other app just kinda... Shows up. So I delete it and all is well but... Weird.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

So, I have a current bug report. Sometimes when I load a thread, and try to bring up the thread list the window is a giant grey box that contains nothing. My only fix for it is exit the app and force close it.

I'd post a screen shot, but I just relaunched and with my recently (less than two hours ago) injured possibly broken big toe I'm going to ice it, quit posting, and get hammered on sake to forget I hurt it so yeah... Hopefully I'm not the only one having this. On the last version of ios on the iPad 1 (5.1.1) jail broken, no odd hacks installed with it.

Edit: it happens every time I post, or if there are fewer posts remaining than it'll take to fill the page. Now then, time to get my drink on. If you need better info please quote me so when I check this thread tomorrow I can respond (and not make myself get in trouble for drunk posting)

I can't seem to replicate this. (Though I did fix another iOS 5-specific bug.) Does this still happen? Has anyone else seen it? Any other clues?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

I can't seem to replicate this. (Though I did fix another iOS 5-specific bug.) Does this still happen? Has anyone else seen it? Any other clues?

Yes, happens nearly every time I hit EOT or post. I have to force close the app dozens of times a day right now. The only way I've found to prevent it is when loading if I know it'll be EOT I can open up the thread list before it finishes loading, and most of the time it'll prevent it. There is no preventing in posting though.

Edit for screen shot

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 12, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

This is a weird one, but following the link to Facebook in this post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460168&pagenumber=347#post411346031
Opens the game/app Supersonic on my phone and not Facebook. I don't know if this would be an iOs error (fully up to date, AT&T on wifi) or what, but just found it interesting.

Edit: does it following the quote in this post as well.

Researching this a bit, it seems the Supersonic app registers the same URL scheme as the Facebook app, and others have had similar problems with Supersonic opening where they expected Facebook. So presumably the [url]http://[/url] link gets turned into an fb:// link, which then gets handled by Supersonic. I'm not sure how or why this happens; the best I can come up with is the [url]http://[/url] link opens in Safari, the website redirects to the fb:// link (expecting the Facebook app to open), and that's that.

Apparently you can fix this by deleting both the Supersonic and Facebook apps, then reinstalling the Facebook app first, followed by the Supersonic app.

Unfortunately, best as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing we can do in Awful to prevent this from happening.

e: I should add in the next version, you can at least follow the link using the built-in browser. But we can't fix things if you try to open the link in Safari.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Yes, happens nearly every time I hit EOT or post. I have to force close the app dozens of times a day right now. The only way I've found to prevent it is when loading if I know it'll be EOT I can open up the thread list before it finishes loading, and most of the time it'll prevent it. There is no preventing in posting though.

Edit for screen shot

Let me see if I have this right:

1. You tap a thread from your bookmarks, or the main forums list, or anywhere really. There's one unread post.
2. Sidebar disappears, post loads, end of thread.
3. You swipe from left to right to show the sidebar again, but you get the screenshot you posted instead.

Or do you tap the button in the top left to show the sidebar? Does it matter which way you go?

(I think other people have seen this problem, though I've never managed to make it happen. I don't have an iPad 1 to test with, so if it's a device-only thing I might be stuck.)

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

1. You tap a thread from your bookmarks, or the main forums list, or anywhere really. There's one unread post.
3. You swipe from left to right to show the sidebar again, but you get the screenshot you posted instead.

Or do you tap the button in the top left to show the sidebar? Does it matter which way you go?

(I think other people have seen this problem, though I've never managed to make it happen. I don't have an iPad 1 to test with, so if it's a device-only thing I might be stuck.)

Basically, yes. If there aren't more posts than what's left till the end of page this happens 80% or so of the time. Doesn't matter if I wipe or push the show threads button, both give same results.

Only preventative measure is having the thread list open when it's loading (bringing back the always open thread list may fix this for me since I prefer that anyway)

I've been up an hour, and had to relaunch today 14 times. It's extremely frustrating,

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've seen a bug a few times where I open the app, it's set to open in the bookmarks tab first, and it immediately gets a popup network error when it refreshes. Almost too quickly, like its not even hitting a server. If I manually pull to refresh, it works.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

I've seen a bug a few times where I open the app, it's set to open in the bookmarks tab first, and it immediately gets a popup network error when it refreshes. Almost too quickly, like its not even hitting a server. If I manually pull to refresh, it works.

I started seeing that too, it should be fixed in the next version. I noticed it mostly when turning the device on, as the networking can take just long enough to initialize that it thinks it's offline.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

I've been up an hour, and had to relaunch today 14 times. It's extremely frustrating,

I would be too. I'll keep trying to reproduce it. When it comes time to drop iOS 5 it'd be nice to leave y'all with something that works ok.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Would it be possible for Awful to mark a post read only when you scroll past the bottom of it?

hardstyle
Mar 12, 2004

"...Neither seen nor heard"

bee burger posted:

Would it be possible for Awful to mark a post read only when you scroll past the bottom of it?

Marking each post read as you scroll would reload the page each time, not exactly feasible.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Could you open the mark read link in the background as you're scrolling? I mean just send the http request or something and not load the thing you get back. Maybe do it when you stop scrolling for a second so the server doesn't get a crazy amount of requests.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The SALR Firefox extension used to do that. I think it did it when you paused scrolling for a second or two.

Edit: though this may have been before the forums tracked unread posts so it was only doing it locally.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I've noticed recently (due to the rest of the app looking so nice) that the Gold thread rating looks very blurry when everything else on the page looks nice and sharp. Here's an example
Obviously that's very zoomed in but it's still blurrier that the rest of the text/images when looking at it normally.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have an annoying issue that may be something others have So I will post it here!

After deleting the app and downloading he current version on my iPhone 5 I cannot load any forums, or even my bookmarked threads. In fact this is the only thread I can access in the app at the moment... I tried the reset button, logging out and in again and deleting the app al together and reinstalling.

When I hit bookmarks it just bombs the whole app out and I return to the home screen. Anyone else having these issues? It's a great app and it sucks that it's not working for me ATM.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

I have an annoying issue that may be something others have So I will post it here!

After deleting the app and downloading he current version on my iPhone 5 I cannot load any forums, or even my bookmarked threads. In fact this is the only thread I can access in the app at the moment... I tried the reset button, logging out and in again and deleting the app al together and reinstalling.

When I hit bookmarks it just bombs the whole app out and I return to the home screen. Anyone else having these issues? It's a great app and it sucks that it's not working for me ATM.

Sounds like you may have downloaded the older older version on accident? The one by Nolan Waite is the one that you want.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I've noticed recently (due to the rest of the app looking so nice) that the Gold thread rating looks very blurry when everything else on the page looks nice and sharp. Here's an example
Obviously that's very zoomed in but it's still blurrier that the rest of the text/images when looking at it normally.

Good eye. Apparently the app doesn't have retina versions of those images. I'd never noticed before. I'll work on adding them tonight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hmm it doesn't?

What should the resolution be? I have all the ratings icons made and just would have to resize the psd.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Hmm it doesn't?

What should the resolution be? I have all the ratings icons made and just would have to resize the psd.

No, I take it back. It is retina.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

No, I take it back. It is retina.

Maybe I'm just imagining it but when compared to the other rating tags it just looks blurrier to me :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Maybe I'm just imagining it but when compared to the other rating tags it just looks blurrier to me :shrug:

All the ratings tags come from the same shapes it so they should be uniform. Maybe its the image text vs. rendered text where you're seeing a little difference?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Binary Badger posted:

This may have been brought up before, but how about variable font sizes? Or even a S/M/L switch? Would be great for Minis..

I *do* appreciate the dark theme, as it saves untold minutes of power.
I love the dark theme too but FYI dark colors use (a tiny bit) more power than light on LCD screens.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

Maybe its the image text vs. rendered text where you're seeing a little difference?

Perhaps, either way it's nothing too important. I've only just noticed it and I've been using the app since I joined.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have a very low priority bug for you. On YouTube videos that require a click through to the app or main site, eg:

The text is unclickable and I can't do anything with it.

BooDaa
Apr 15, 2004

pokeyman posted:

I get this all the time as well but it doesn't only happen at the end of a thread. I get it when there are tons more unread pages in a thread.

Edit: just to double check I went to the YOSPOS pics thread where I'm 8000 posts behind and got it as soon as the page loaded, I didn't even scroll to the bottom of the page, so I don't know that EOP or EOT is the issue. And yes I'm on an iPad 1.

BooDaa fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....
I get the black panel thing on my jailbroken iPad 3 quite often, seems random to me as I've never been able to do anything to make it happen on porpoise.

• Locked thread