Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

socialsecurity posted:

I just realized what the next Warriors Orochi is going to be, Warriors Zombie all of the Heroes who died come back as evil zombies with evil zombie armies.

If they sell out like this I would honestly never buy another thing they made ever. So loving sick of zombies in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Selane posted:

That's what I did, you won't be 'lost' because the story makes no sense anyway.

Yea, you'd only be lost on character backstories.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Chachi posted:

If they sell out like this I would honestly never buy another thing they made ever. So loving sick of zombies in everything.

How would that be selling out? I actually wouldn't mind a zombie army. It's basically what they are already. But then, I'm one of those people who still enjoys zombies.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If you have that strong of feelings about zombies either way, you probably need to sit and have a good long think about your life and priorities leading up to this moment.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Han Dang. So I guess this means that Jin is getting Wen Yang and Others is getting a returning Zuo Ci as well as, I believe, Chen Gong.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chachi posted:

Wait, you're bitching about this franchise selling out? Seriously?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And the funny thing is Warriors already has a zombie (Kiyomori Tiara). So yeah, not sure why your still playing in the first place :smugbert:

On another note, I've been replaying the DW7 story missions, and I have to say...the Shu campaign almost works. It comes really close to rising above ':downs: herp derp benevolence! :downs:' that I feel if one mission was re-worked it could all come together.

If I had to name one mission to redo for Shu, it would be part one of Yiling. It really struck me as bizarre that you only play Liu Bei for one whole mission. The Shu campaign really needed to take a second look at it's own lead character (yeah, yeah I know-Zhuge Liange was the real lead character :smug:. I'll get to him as well.) Yiling was the perfect spot to do so-letting the player control Liu Bei at his angriest, his most emotionally raw and emotionally vulnerable, and then slowly realize that he done hosed up would have given Shu that moment of self-criticism that all the other campaigns had but it lacked.

Gameplay-wise, none of the Shu stages were uninteresting, except for part one of Chibi. I thought about how to fix it, and had an interesting idea: play as Zhuge Liange. You start at the alter and trip out on incense (:350:) and go through the lower half of the map while it's covered in spooky purple fog. The mission is to negotiate with the animist spirits to change the wind direction (as in all things Musou, by 'negotiate' I mean 'beat the snot out of'). And while ZL is talking to spirits, the ghosts of all the characters that have bought it come and call him out on his BS.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I'm actually really liking Han Dang's design. Him and Lu Su both aren't overly flashy in any way which in this series helps them stand out a lot from the other characters.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Han Dang gets the short pike, while Yuan Shao has been decloned with something called the Stretch Rapier.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy gently caress.

I may end up getting Ken's Rage 2 after all.

http://youtu.be/tAiXBqPUc0A

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Himuro posted:

Holy gently caress.

Everything I see on this one makes it seem like they really stepped up to making a proper Fist of the North Star game this time. I enjoyed the first game well enough, but it was really clunky and did a worse than half-assed job of telling some semblance of the story. Also, from other gameplay videos it seems that Ken is no longer the worst character in the game, so that bodes well for the story mode this time (he was slow and weak as hell for most of the story mode first time out).

I really like the style of the cutscenes and the manga-storyboard things they have going on as well. I am really looking forward to the NA release of this one, which I was pretty surprised was happening at all. It would be pretty awesome to actually play a good, decently faithful FotNS game for once. Its weird they are usually so terrible, the show itself pretty much felt like watching some absurd videogame anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

Holy gently caress.

It looks okay but you know what still bugs the HELL out of me? Your mission is to "not let Bat run away". No one ever runs away from combat in HnK. It's so very very wrong.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 10, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Suben posted:

I'm actually really liking Han Dang's design. Him and Lu Su both aren't overly flashy in any way which in this series helps them stand out a lot from the other characters.

Ha, that chain belt reminds me of that saxophone dude from The Lost Boys. I am never not going to think of this guy as Tina Turner's weight lifting saxophonist.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

Grimdaddy posted:

Everything I see on this one makes it seem like they really stepped up to making a proper Fist of the North Star game this time. I enjoyed the first game well enough, but it was really clunky and did a worse than half-assed job of telling some semblance of the story. Also, from other gameplay videos it seems that Ken is no longer the worst character in the game, so that bodes well for the story mode this time (he was slow and weak as hell for most of the story mode first time out).

I really like the style of the cutscenes and the manga-storyboard things they have going on as well. I am really looking forward to the NA release of this one, which I was pretty surprised was happening at all. It would be pretty awesome to actually play a good, decently faithful FotNS game for once. Its weird they are usually so terrible, the show itself pretty much felt like watching some absurd videogame anyway.

The thing that I don't like about Ken's Rage 2 is that all of the dream mode stages are the same "take 5 control points and then fight the boss" structure. It wouldn't be so bad if it felt like two armies clashing on the battlefield, but you're usually alone or with 1 npc at the start and none of the enemies save generals ever wander around the map. They won't even get held up by the troops generated at control points you've taken! The strategic choice basically boils down to what order you fight the enemies, because they get stronger with more friendly adjacent control points.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
They updated the site. Mostly stuff we already knew like Han Dang and Yuan Shao's new weapon but also this curious section. It's about weapon upgrades I think and it looks heavily influenced by Orochi.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/smusou7/#system-growth

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zhou Tai was added to Wu to my relief. Looks like I'll be picking Dynasty Warriors 8 up.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jimbot posted:

Zhou Tai was added to Wu to my relief. Looks like I'll be picking Dynasty Warriors 8 up.

:confused: was there any doubt he'd be in? He's been with the series since at least DW 3.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I did a weird thing today. I popped in DW6 because I still have some crap to do to 100% it and after DW7 Empires comes out it will be even harder to go back to. If you thought it was bad back when, just try going back to playing it after DW7 and WO3. Renbu is The Worst Thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Himuro posted:

Holy gently caress.

The... the true successor of Hokuto Shinken! God drat I guess all that time watching Kenshiro kick rear end paid off for her.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

The... the true successor of Hokuto Shinken! God drat I guess all that time watching Kenshiro kick rear end paid off for her.
I don't know anything about HnK 2, DOES anyone become the proper successor to Hokuto Shinken?

Also I am still disappointed that Haruka didn't turn out like that in the Yakuza series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know anything about HnK 2, DOES anyone become the proper successor to Hokuto Shinken?

Yeah, it was Kenshiro. Surprise!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, it was Kenshiro. Surprise!
Oh come on, you know that's not what I meant.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh come on, you know that's not what I meant.

Not canonically as far as I know, but the post HnK2 OAV has Kenshiro talking to Raoh's son about being successor, but I'm pretty sure they made that and Raoh having a son up in the first place.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm pretty sure literally everything about HnK2 is just them making it up.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bat also learns some Hokuto Shinken but yeah it's just Kenshiro as far as they say successor wise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The weirdest thing about HnK for me is just how soon after the apocalypse it takes place, like ten years or so. What on earth were all those people doing back in the normal, modern Japan? Were all those guys with spiked shoulder pads and mohawks normal salarymen back then, or what? And were there people all over the modern world running around offing each other with super magic martial arts head exploding poo poo? I totally want to hear more about what life was like before the bomb in HnK world.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 11, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The weirdest thing about HnK for me is just how soon after the apocalypse it takes place, like ten years or so. What on earth were all those people doing back in the normal, modern Japan? Were all those guys with spiked shoulder pads and mohawks normal salarymen back then, or what? And were there people all over the modern world running around offing each other with super magic martial arts head exploding poo poo? I totally want to hear more about what life was like before the bomb in HnK world.

Ahem...

Souten No Ken is pretty good though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

randombattle posted:

Ahem...

Souten No Ken is pretty good though.

Don't watch the anime version though, ugh.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I'm pretty sure literally everything about HnK2 is just them making it up.
This is pretty much the only way I can imagine that Hokuto no Ken 2 was written.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's been some seemingly-licensed character-centric mangas that have focused on the period before the original anime/manga such as Yuria Gaiden and Jagi Gaiden (which has a one-shot of Ryuken on the day of the bombings) while Raoh Gaiden got both a thirteen-episode anime and a Japanese PSP fighting game.

Otherwise, Fist of the Blue Sky is the only one from Buronson himself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been enjoying DW7 XL but it feels kinda sloppy. There are several times where the dialogue doesn't match the text, or the text has bizarre mispellings ("Sima OZhao?" :crossarms:). Sometimes generic messenger guy mixes up what force is arriving on the battlefield. In one cutscene at the end of the Wu campaign Sun Quan is holding the wrong sword. And strangest of all, it seems that Liu Bei and Wei Yan have had their skill trees switched :psyduck:.

In comparison, I noticed nothing like this in my copy of DW 7 for the 360.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

:confused: was there any doubt he'd be in? He's been with the series since at least DW 3.

True, but I don't really follow Dynasty Warriors a whole lot so I don't know the history of characters disappearing or reappearing on the roster or getting turned into a clone (like Zhou Tai did in 6). So when he shows up in a game with his regular weapon then it is a good day.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Next, and why are half the characters' names pronounced completely different than they're spelled :psyduck:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

U.T. Raptor posted:

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Next, and why are half the characters' names pronounced completely different than they're spelled :psyduck:

These are actually the correct pronunciations. Pinyin (and Wade-Giles) are only approximations of how Chinese words/names would be spelled if they were in English. There are many sounds that just don't exist in both languages. For years we had COW COW, much to the chagrin of any Chinese person who happened to hear it. The finally fixed Cao Cao for DW 6 but missed a ton of other, less offensive names (like Sun Ce and Sun Quan). Finally for 7 we got all the names in the correct(ish) pronunciations and even the women with their names spelled correctly (Yueying instead of Yue Ying).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, they aren't "correct" in the sense that that's how people in China talked in the second century AD.

And of course, the Japanese have a whole different way to pronounce names of Chinese people and place names. I'm still used to Ryu Bi of the kingdom of Shoku fighting Sou Sou of the kingdom of Gi, and being told not to pursue Ryo Fu.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 12, 2013

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Watched the HnK2 videos, will be buying the poo poo out of this.

I don't know anything about the series outside of watching the first movie when I was like ten in the early 90s. Don't care about the story, or anything except sweet, sweet musuo glory. Looks like they sped up walking speed, made the combat much more "warriors" like, and...that's about all the problem I had with the first one. Exxxcellent!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I do remember there were a few scenes even in the original with them as adults. I remember Raoh in a fairly normal vest(Probably the only thing that could fit). Ken's shirt was as it was.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

I do remember there were a few scenes even in the original with them as adults. I remember Raoh in a fairly normal vest(Probably the only thing that could fit). Ken's shirt was as it was.
Yeah, at least Ken and Toki and some other people were totally dressed as weird fantasy martial arts types even before the bomb, which makes me think that the before the bomb time was also some weird fantasy world.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Jimbot posted:

True, but I don't really follow Dynasty Warriors a whole lot so I don't know the history of characters disappearing or reappearing on the roster or getting turned into a clone (like Zhou Tai did in 6). So when he shows up in a game with his regular weapon then it is a good day.

Honestly after all the poo poo DW6 got for Renbu (which they immediately ditched), removed characters (again something they've fixed to the point where they're apparently even bringing back Zuo Ci), and clones (they've apparently worked to do away with the cloned movesets in 8) I don't think you'll have to worry about any of that ever again.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Suben posted:

Honestly after all the poo poo DW6 got for Renbu (which they immediately ditched), removed characters (again something they've fixed to the point where they're apparently even bringing back Zuo Ci), and clones (they've apparently worked to do away with the cloned movesets in 8) I don't think you'll have to worry about any of that ever again.

Don't forget having to have either a ton of shiny metal textures, a ton of fabric effects, or a ton of both on every single character in order to prove that this is a next gen game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I actually really liked DW6 and it was my favorite until DW7 came out. I still prefer the Renbu system, though.