Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BearDrivingTruck posted:

That's supposed to be Sergio Romo...

Does Wilson even throw a slider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Grinnblade posted:

Expansion Cup VIII Poll!

Expansion Cup Owners: It has come to my attention that as the leagues are currently set up, the top record in each league will automatically advance to the Expansion Cup Championship Series (aka the World Series).

I could theoretically divide the leagues into two divisions each (McQueen League's divisions would be 6 and 4, and Taggart League's would be 4 and 4), which would enable us to have League Championship Series.

The question, then, is: Is that something you'd be interested in?

A) MORE PLAYOFFS FOR THE PLAYOFF GODS!

B) MAY THE BEST REGULAR SEASON TEAM WIN!

C) I HAVE A BETTER IDEA!
The Office of the Commissar of the Expansion Cup takes no responsibility for any tragedy that may befall your team as a result of picking this option. (although seriously if you have a better idea I'm all ears)

Voting for option B.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

kw0134 posted:

What are you offering? At this point though I'm kind of disgusted with how BBM has treated this team and am ready to set it on fire and claim the insurance proceeds. If I'm going to change the fortunes of this team, I'd want to try to go for a blockbuster trade.

Well, if you're looking to burn the team down, I'd take Garciaparra off your hands for free, but I imagine you wanna try something to salvage the season first.

I'm gonna throw this out there: I'll offer you a choice of McCovey or Cepeda, and a choice of Jim Ray Hart or Jim Davenport for 3B. If you need a pitcher as well, we can talk about adding one. McCovey and Cepeda both roll consistently in the mid 90's, Hart is just coming off a 132 OPS+ year where he came in 2nd in the Rookie of the Year voting. Davenport isn't as solid as Hart, but he can play 2B/SS/3B pretty much equally well on defense.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

mks5000 posted:

Does Wilson even throw a slider?

The Giants have two relievers with ridiculous beards? This is why people hate the Bay Area.

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

WE DEMAND MORE PLAYOFFS! ALL THE PLAYOFFS!
Even though there's no way my terrible team will be involved in them.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I vote No Divisions since it'd change up the dispersal draft and make a weaker division winner a worst draft pick. At least that's my logic.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Okay, I think the auto-tiebreaker thing was just a glitch, so if we did do divisions it would be 5 and 5/4 and 4, and I've already got a pretty decent set-up.

Current Poll Results:
Playoffs: 2 (+ Grinn's Tiebreaker)
No Playoffs: 2

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

PLAYOFFS FOR THE PLAYOFFS GOD. Trophys for the Trophy throne!

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

Lineup vs. RHP:

1. RF Ross Youngs
2. SS Honus Wagner
3. 1B Mark McGwire
4. LF Barry Bonds
5. 2B Frankie Frisch
6. 3B Darrell Evans
7. C Brian McCann
8. CF Ken Griffey Jr.
9. Pitcher

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Well, poo poo, nothing is going well at all at this point. And I forgot to make my pick and other changes before I went to bed so I got another week with the busted bullpen of doom. gently caress. And now Averill's down for a month as well. That should be manageable at least, I can't imagine Young Musial being that much worse than him defensively. To that end, move Stan Musial to CF and put Zach Wheat in LF (and in Averill's spot in the lineup).

Now, back to the matter of my questionable hurlers... With the 51st pick in the draft, the Dervishes select 1993 Mike Stanton and immediately set about reconfiguring the failed bullpen.

CL: Rollie Fingers
SU: Mike Stanton
SR: Hoyt Wilhelm
SR: Tom Hall
MR: Pedro Bourbon
MR: Clay Carroll
LR: Mel Harder

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Whalers take 1929 Spud Davis.

UZworm is on the clock.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Voting for Playoffs? Playoffs?! PLAYOFFS!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I vote No Divisions since it'd change up the dispersal draft and make a weaker division winner a worst draft pick. At least that's my logic.

Last season the dispersal draft was based entirely on winning percentage. Playoff results didn't matter.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

cbx posted:

Well, if you're looking to burn the team down, I'd take Garciaparra off your hands for free, but I imagine you wanna try something to salvage the season first.

I'm gonna throw this out there: I'll offer you a choice of McCovey or Cepeda, and a choice of Jim Ray Hart or Jim Davenport for 3B. If you need a pitcher as well, we can talk about adding one. McCovey and Cepeda both roll consistently in the mid 90's, Hart is just coming off a 132 OPS+ year where he came in 2nd in the Rookie of the Year voting. Davenport isn't as solid as Hart, but he can play 2B/SS/3B pretty much equally well on defense.
Garciaparra was filling in my SS slot, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with McCovey/Cepeda. I'm going to put Kent in absent any trades, but I'd be interested in seeing what you'd do with Davenport/Hart + some pitcher or something.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Playoffs!

If we didn't it would be to much like English Football for me feel comfortable.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League VIII, Smasher League Week 14: But What of the Packers?

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

MASHERS KILL WHALERS 22-1

Hartford- With a horrifying fury that left the Whalers reeling, the Mashers annihilated the Hartford team 22-1.

It was a massacre, as the Mashers piled up 22 hits against the Whalers' 5. The Mashers started with eight runs in the first two innings, and then piled on fourteen more in the seventh and eighth. The Whalers seemed to be increasingly stunned by what was happening, with some seeming almost unbelieving that they could be beaten so thoroughly.

mks5000, owner of the Whalers and one of the last 13 people to still live in Hartford, was shell-shocked, "They just kept hitting, no matter what we did, they just kept hitting, over and over again. I begged with them to ease off, I pleaded with them. But they wouldn't listen, they just kept hitting, and there was nothing we could do! Nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!"

Why the lack of mercy? CraigK, the owner of the Mashers, was asked that exact question, and answered, "No mercy! The only mercy I can offer is the sweet mercy of death! And that's a...good mercy that I can offer the Whalers right...now. Because I have no mercy...except when I do. Uh...yeah! Because me and the Mashers are a tough team! And we enjoy killing other teams, because we're stone cold killers from the mean streets of New Orleans. Back when I was a kid, I use to slash tires on cars just for fun, because that is what tough guys do! Yeah! Bad asses!"

In other news, it was found that these quotes from the owners, while revealing, did not fill enough space, forcing reporters to scramble for more content, ending with Matt Williams, who hit a triple and two home runs in the game, to narrate his typical Saturday morning in an attempt to kill some space, "Well, I usually get up around ten, and make myself some corn flakes. Not the brand name, but the generic brand, because that's cheaper, and, well, they're corn flakes, you can't really tell the difference anyway. I also make some tea. Now I usually have coffee on weekdays, but on the weekends, I really like a good black tea to start off the day. Now, not Earl Grey, because that bergamot has a certain zing that I'm not sure is really a 'Saturday' thing, but just some normal black tea. Once I'm done with my breakfast, I like to go on a walk through the woods near my house. After all, winter is coming, and I need to get some firewood. It's usually pretty nice this time of year. There's a crispness to the air that is just invigorating. And the solitude is nice. Most days, you're just crammed in with so many people out there..."

GAME NOTES

-Nap Lajoie, for his part, does enjoy Earl Grey tea.

-Did you know that Eddie Collins and Alex Rodriguez have never been seen at the same place at the same time in real life? Could they secretly be the same person?

-I will totally admit to not bringing my A-Game on Packer gamedays.

Box Score

Don May posted:

FAILURES HEROICALLY FAIL

Cooperstown- Failure is its own reward.

The bases were loaded with no outs in the top of the ninth inning. The Failures were down 4-2, but had already scored a run in the inning, and were ready to complete their rally. The next batter, Yogi Berra, hit a long fly ball, that scored a run on a sac fly. Now there were runners on first and second and the Failures were only down one. Next up, Adrian Gonzalez, who popped the ball out to second, not even letting the runners advance. Now there were two outs, and Ray Lankford represented the last hope of the Failures. Lankford battled Robb Nen pitch after pitch, eventually drawing the count full. With two outs and a full count, runners would run on the pitch, so if Lankford could hit the ball fair, the run would almost certainly score, and the game would be tied.

Nen threw a fastball and Lankford struck out, badly misjudging the speed. Game over.

After the game, mentholmoose, who is, ironically, not actually a moose, though he is 70% menthol by volume, was livid, "loving assholes! What the gently caress was this loving poo poo about? loving strikeout to loving end the game? I didn't know "Lankford" was some other language for 'complete sack of poo poo'! Then again, I don't speak Lankford's loving native tongue of 'lovely loving useless-ese! This team is a loving bunch of shitstains, motherfuckers, and shitstain motherfuckers, and these cocksucking pieces of poo poo deserve to get loving relegated. The gently caress is happening here? Oh, and gently caress Andy Reid!" Upon being informed that Reid had, in fact, been fired from his position as coach of the Eagles, mentholmoose appeared distraught, "But...but...I don't understand? Who will I loving hate now? Are the Sixers any good this year? No? And we traded for loving Andrew Bynum and his loving non-functional knees! gently caress Doug Collins!"

Robert_Deadford, who still claims to be just a 'normal human person living in the Central European region of your United States of America', seemed to be his usual effervescent self, "Ah, how enjoyable to watch two factions fight each other so! The contest was a delight to observe! I recall one time, not so long ago, and that three of my parent units took me to see a similar game when I was at...home. There was much blood, as you would expect. So very much blood. I had never seen so much, the bright green ichor staining the ground." Asked where, exactly, this mysterious event took place, Robert_Deadford seemed flustered for a moment before telling reporters that, "It was bowling. That is what happened when you bowl."

Box Score

TV Dreams

: PACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERSPACKERS
: So...I'll be handling this one on my own. Okay, the Maths will defend their TV Title against the erratic Biosparks to start the week. They'll win the first game against the Maths.

: gently caress! Run defense! We can stop Gore, right? We stopped Peterson, and Peterson is better than Gore.
: Biosparks win the second game as well, and take the TV Title for the second time.

: But what about that Kaepernick guy? Webb looked decent in that option look, and Kaepernick is mobile too.
: And the Biosparks will complete the sweep.

: And what if Justin Smith is healthy? Our offensive line is still a mess.
: The Biosparks will now take on the Gumshoes, and get blown out for their troubles.

: Why the gently caress did we sign Saturday anyway? He was terrible.
: Biosparks win Game 2.

: gently caress, it's all going to go wrong isn't it?
: Biosparks win again, and will retain the TV Title in this four-game series.

: Please let it work...
: Biosparks win their third straight over the Gumshoes, and it'll be interesting to see if they can hold on to any momentum in the coming weeks. Until then, good night!

Team Statistics

Analysis

In a better world, you'd have one more good starter. In this one, you still have enough talent to win the division.

Analysis

The Commies have been getting better, but I think they need one more elite player, whether or defense or offense, to do much of anything.

Analysis

You have two good starting pitchers, and three that are just straight-up murdering your team.

Analysis

If the Phoenixes only had more starting pitchers...

Analysis

Falkenberg didn't have the best debut with your team, but it's only one game.

Analysis

Ryan is a truly unlucky dude.

Analysis

Mogul just hates Jackson, apparently.

Analysis

At least you dragged a decent season out of Wakefield. That's impressive.

Analysis

Yeah, Craig, your team is just completely hosed!

Analysis

The Maths are a pure finesse team. In general, you can never really trust a finesse team to perform.

Analysis

Much like a Philly Cheese Steak, this team is slowly killing your soul/intestines.

Analysis

Saying that you've been very unlucky probably isn't going to make you feel all that better.

Analysis

Another pendulum swing.

Analysis

Vance can't have another start that bad, can he?

Analysis

W's kill everyone, big surprise.

Analysis

FIX YOUR PITCHING!

Standings and Leaders

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Hey, a winning week!

Since Cone is healthy, remove Cone from the DL and call him up. Send down Oswalt, and put Cone in Oswalt's position in the rotation. Make Berra the personal catcher for Beckett only.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

The Elephants would like to make an offer to the Bloggers, as we badly need depth and scrappiness. Our stars are badly underperforming and we need some winners!

'67 Hank Aaron
'85 Wade Boggs
'62 Juan Marichal
'43 Stan Musial
'74 Don Sutton

for

'12 McCutchen
'32 Herman
'01 Ordonez
'68 Lolich
'64 Pappas
'64 Robinson
'68 Matthews
'93 Glavine

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

I'm in.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

tatankatonk

Are you sure you want to do that?

HINT: YOU ARE NOT SURE!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
That trade looks like when my brother and I play Monopoly and he realizes there is no way he can win. He yells "gently caress THIS GAME" and flips the board over.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

tatankatonk

Are you sure you want to do that?

HINT: YOU ARE NOT SURE!

I've got nothing left, Smasher! Nothing! Kaline is out, Musial and Aaron won't hit! The Finger-Bangers are gonna eat me alive and Jordan is leaving threatening messages demanding playing time on my answering machine, I have to pull the trigger!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

I've got nothing left, Smasher! Nothing! Kaline is out, Musial and Aaron won't hit! The Finger-Bangers are gonna eat me alive and Jordan is leaving threatening messages demanding playing time on my answering machine, I have to pull the trigger!

THIS TRADE IS NOT HAPPENING! It'll be a cold day in hell before I give Mornacale a gift like that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
code:
[20:18] <%BrooklynBruiser> SmasherDynamo: Packers make the Super Bowl this year I get 15 points of team creation
[20:18] <%BrooklynBruiser> Packers don't make the Super Bowl this year, my ban becomes liftime
immortalizing this

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Monicro posted:

code:
[20:18] <%BrooklynBruiser> SmasherDynamo: Packers make the Super Bowl this year I get 15 points of team creation
[20:18] <%BrooklynBruiser> Packers don't make the Super Bowl this year, my ban becomes liftime
immortalizing this

This isn't happening. Bruzer isn't getting this deal. He's banned until 2014. Good loving night.

And while we're on the subject, the next person to offer Mornacale all of their best players will have their team killed on the spot.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Smasher Dynamo posted:

This isn't happening. Bruzer isn't getting this deal. He's banned until 2014. Good loving night.

And while we're on the subject, the next person to offer Mornacale all of their best players will have their team killed on the spot.

I know it's not happening, I just thought the terms of the bet were hilarious because seriously bruzer what the gently caress

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

mentholmoose posted:

Last season the dispersal draft was based entirely on winning percentage. Playoff results didn't matter.

If that's the method of dispersal then I change my vote to Playoffs? Playoffs!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Playoffs rule. It's not a sport, even a fantasy sport, without playoffs.

Not like the Jobbers are making any playoffs anytime ever anyway!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
Also I just realized that I posted that pitching rotation change in kind of a no-mans land time before the last update, so I'll just quote it:

UZworm posted:

All right, so with all my pitching changes, gotta make a few tweaks. Put 2011 Cole Hamels down in AAA, replacing Hooks Dauss, and shoot Dauss into the sun where he belongs.

New Rotation:
SP1 Ed Walsh (1908)
SP2 Johan Santana (2006)
SP3 Frank Smith (1908)
SP4 Doc White (1908)
SP5 Pedro Martinez (1994)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Smasher, would you care to tell tatanka and I a trade we are allowed to make?

Pull out Sutton and Glavine, for instance?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 13, 2013

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

6-1 against two teams above .500 with my only loss coming from an Alexander start? Sounds about right. Put Rosen back in at 3B for Kress.

Fellow Owners!

My team has a lot of holes and little depth, but I have starting pitching to spare. Hall of Famers Bob Lemon, Bob Feller, Eppa Rixey, and Early Wynn are all on the block. I've got holes all over my lineup, especially at C and 2B. Act now and I'll throw in Adam Dunn-lite absolutely free!*

*No purchase necessary, void where prohibited. Biosparks Inc. is not responsible for any damages caused by Adam Dunn-lite or his associates.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, Mornacale, let's break down your proposed trade:

'67 Hank Aaron, one of the greatest power hitters of all-time, starting RF
'85 Wade Boggs, one of the best hitters of his era, starting 3B
'62 Juan Marichal, great pitcher, the ace of the Elephants' staff
'43 Stan Musial, one of the best hitters of all-time, starting CF
'74 Don Sutton, solid pitcher, the Elephants' 2nd-best starter

for

-A most untested McCutchen, who is mainly getting playing time because of injury
-Herman, who is essentially filler, and you are using a platoon player when Bonds is healthy
-Ordonez, who is filler at best
-Lolich, who is an innings eater in a league that eats innings eaters for breakfast, and who you don't even use in your rotation
-Pappas, best known for being on the wrong end of another lopsided trade
-Robinson, who can't really hit, and was kept on the bench by an ancient Mathews
-Mathews, who was so badly injured that he's effectively out for the season
-And Glavine, who is the only one of these players you actually intend to use full-time

Let's break that down a bit more, essentially, you want to trade

-McCutchen for Musial
-Aaron for Herman and Ordonez
-Boggs for Robinson and the remains of Mathews
-Marichal for Pappas and Lolich
-Sutton for Glavine

There is not a single one of those trades that would be good for the Elephants. He is essentially getting your bench in exchange for the top five players on his team. How the gently caress am I supposed to allow that, or any of these trades?

You want to make a deal? Make a deal that materially improves the Elephants. Pulling out Sutton and Glavine doesn't change the tenor of the deal. I'm not going to let an owner of a disappointing team play kingmaker.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Well, it was my idea.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

New lineup for the week:

#1 - Frank Baker 3B
#2 - Wade Boggs 1B
#3 - Stan Musial LF
#4 - Joe Torre C
#5 - Julio Franco SS
#6 - Davey Lopes 2B
#7 - Jimmy Wynn RF
#8 - Brett Butler CF
#9 - Pitcher

Rotation:

#1 Marichal
#2 Sutton
#3 Bunning
#4 Jenkins
#5 Blyleven

Send Messersmith to LR

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

Well, it was my idea.

Okay, then let me reiterate one more time that this is a fantastically stupid idea. You are trading the best parts of your team for the parts of the Bloggers that Mornacale does not even want. You know what, tell you really think this is a good idea, and that you honestly believe that this will help your team and I'll consider letting it go through.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, then let me reiterate one more time that this is a fantastically stupid idea. You are trading the best parts of your team for the parts of the Bloggers that Mornacale does not even want. You know what, tell you really think this is a good idea, and that you honestly believe that this will help your team and I'll consider letting it go through.

No, I was just disappointed in my team, and I wanted to send my favorite players to a team that I liked so that they wouldn't be cast to the winds in the dispersal draft.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

tatankatonk posted:

No, I was just disappointed in my team, and I wanted to send my favorite players to a team that I liked so that they wouldn't be cast to the winds in the dispersal draft.

It really looks like you're dumping salary/players, much like the 2012 Marlins, or also the Marlins after every time they went to the WS. The Marlins.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

tatankatonk posted:

Fine, trade approved. Bloggers, do me one loving favor. Win the Super-League Championship. Because I want the honor of snuffing out your team's life myself.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Trade Proposal!

San Juan Elephants get:
?? Babe Ruth

Seattle Suicides get:
'43 Stan Musial
'58 Jim Bunning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Fine, trade approved. Bloggers, do me one loving favor. Win the Super-League Championship. Because I want the honor of snuffing out your team's life myself.

No, it's fine! You've reminded me of my duty to my team, Smasher. I have to face this with dignity and poise.